Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Re: Aldrich, my own little theory is that he's the Chosen Undead, all fat with lord souls and humanity nibbling on what's left of Gwyndolin to get his fix while his covenant brings him what's left of the Dark Soul in the form of Human Dregs. You do sort of progress from killing humans to gods over the course of Dark Souls.

It's not really supported by anything in-game but it feels like it makes a bit of sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Threep posted:

Picking Rusted Gold Coin gives you 7 which is more than you actually find during the game. It's not amazing or anything but it's probably the most helpful one.

Greirat sells them if he ever gets to lothric castle

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bussamove posted:

Re: Aldrich, my own little theory is that he's the Chosen Undead, all fat with lord souls and humanity nibbling on what's left of Gwyndolin to get his fix while his covenant brings him what's left of the Dark Soul in the form of Human Dregs. You do sort of progress from killing humans to gods over the course of Dark Souls.

It's not really supported by anything in-game but it feels like it makes a bit of sense to me.

Yeah that's what I thought at first, but it might be a little too out there. I also got the impression that Wolnir is the True Monarch from DS2, kind of.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
I finally got around to properly doing Orbeck's 'sidequest' (if you can call buying all his stuff a sidequest) and man, that's some heavy stuff. Poor Orbeck, you're actually a pretty cool dude and probably the best sorcery trainer in the series.

PS. Still searching for the proper values to make a character that looks like patches. Surely someone has managed it?

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Hey I think you were the dude that invaded me yesterday. I had a +8 dark sword to see how fast I can run through to respec later, and it was +8 from dancer skip. Assuming that it allows + or - 3 after +5 he could have had a +10?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Iretep posted:

you get a fire gem really early in the game anyway so why bother?

True but on the other hand the other starting gifts are even less relevant.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So what's the hotness in UGSs?

I had planned a Str build around the Lothric Knight GS, but just figured out I can't get one until I send Greirat to pillage Irythill. I just killed Crystal Sage, so am still super early. Can either do the swamp or Cathedral next.

Str is currently 30.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

The miracle you get isn't Aldrich's weapon. During his fight, he can use a move where he conjures up the lifehunt scythe and swings it around in a circle. That's what you get from him as a miracle. The actual weapon he swings around during the fight is different.

My b, I didn't write that clearly. I meant that to say of the two weapons he uses during the battle that you can also recreate neither make reference to Nito, with the other weapon just being the darkmoon bow. If they wanted to be coy about it I don't think they would have abstrusely brought priscilla into this when they could have spent the time/item on Nito instead.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bussamove posted:

But the Chosen Undead didn't consume the Lord Souls, he burned them in the Lordvessel. I don't think it makes a ton of sense for him to go all god-cannibal after linking the fire. Isn't Aldrich supposed to have been eating people before he linked the fire, anyway? Plus, Aldrich learned of Priscilla by consuming Gwyndolin--the Chosen Undead likely met her in person.

I dunno, that seems like a huge reach to me.

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

HaB posted:

I had planned a Str build around the Lothric Knight GS, but just figured out I can't get one until I send Greirat to pillage Irythill. I just killed Crystal Sage, so am still super early. Can either do the swamp or Cathedral next.

Str is currently 30.

The GREATSWORD UGS can be found in Farron Keep on a bridge. It still retains its old moveset and general pancakeness.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HaB posted:

Str is currently 30.

I enjoy the Astora Greatsword, which you'll get at the Cathedral. It's at its best Refined, but really any infusion that boosts its scaling is good--it's basically the opposite of the Astora's Straight Sword, in that its base damage is nothing special but its scaling is excellent.

The reason I like it is that it has R2 thrusts both one- and two-handed, and its weapon art is the spear/halberd Charge, which is actually pretty useful.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Did I mess up the Anri Hollow ending?

I talked to her in the Catacombs, then I went to Smouldering Lake to kill Horace. I haven't seen her since. The Wiki says she should appear in Church of Yorshka now but she's not there.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

Did I mess up the Anri Hollow ending?

I talked to her in the Catacombs, then I went to Smouldering Lake to kill Horace. I haven't seen her since. The Wiki says she should appear in Church of Yorshka now but she's not there.

She shows up near the bridge to Wolnir. Talk to her there, first. She's on the ledge if you turn right before crossing the bridge.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Bussamove posted:

My Chosen Undead isn't some stinking cleric. :colbert:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

HaB posted:

Str is currently 30.

I was using the Lothric Knight GS and it isn't that great imho, it's a little mediocre. I've seen people talk up the Zwei (best bang for buck) and Cathedral GSword though

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Monomythian posted:

You should take double damage from players if hit from behind and during Eustus drinking.

The pvp meta game is estus management. Let them drink their estus. (Of course you could always prevent them from drinking estus by throwing an Undead Hunter Charm at them, but the prevailing wrong opinion of them is that they're useless). They will run out before you do if you're any good.

quote:

You should not be able to summon the same phantom twice per invasion.

Why not?

quote:

The two hit stagger rule should apply to you personally, and not each player hitting you.

Don't worry, poise will be fixed soon....right?

quote:

Bonfire rooms should always have a fog door blocking them during invasions.

Sit at the bonfire and you wont be invaded. Besides, how is that going to work for things like the Crucifixion bonfire? Otherwise welcome to Dark Souls.

quote:

There should always be a fog door separating zones, example Road of Sacrifice into Farron Keep.

I don't understand this complaint.

quote:

Reds and Blues should be matchmade before the host, instead of 1 to 2 minutes into the invasion.

This doesn't make any sense.

quote:

Nerf the Dark Sword.

I'm sure they will.

tl;dr Git gud.

Stokes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 7, 2016

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Is the Carthus Rouge item bugged? I keep running up against this one mini-boss thats kicking my butt. However I'm not losing any uses of the item despite applying it before every attempt. If you die before one of the buff items expires does it just not consume it if you die before it?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Dork457 posted:

Is the Carthus Rouge item bugged? I keep running up against this one mini-boss thats kicking my butt. However I'm not losing any uses of the item despite applying it before every attempt. If you die before one of the buff items expires does it just not consume it if you die before it?

I think the extras you have in your stash get put back into your inventory on death.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

HaB posted:

Str is currently 30.

you can pick up Great Sword in the Swamp, in Cathedral you can get Astora Great sword and Cathedral Knight Greatsword. In the swampy part of road of sacrifices you can farm the black knight great sword. You can buy Zweihander from Greirat and after Farron keep, you can take a detour in catacombs to pick up Fume UGS. So you are basically at a point where you got access to a lot of the UGS.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Dork457 posted:

The game auto-refills your items from the box now! It even tops them up when you invade :3:

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Dork457 posted:

if you have more than the 5 you're allowed to carry, it goes in your storage box, but it refiles when you sit down at a bonfire or respawn.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

I was catching up with some side quests after I beat the game, how do you get greirat to progress if there's no boss left in the game? I'm guessing its impossible?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Harrow posted:

She shows up near the bridge to Wolnir. Talk to her there, first. She's on the ledge if you turn right before crossing the bridge.

Thanks, that worked. I missed her in there the first time I looked.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Anyone have any thoughts on why Wolnir's patch of abyss is inside a goblet? Did someone trick him into drinking from it and it dragged him in? I guess the grave wardens could still have contact with him inside there because he could summon them, but he can't get himself out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

RBA Starblade posted:

The thing is it didn't seem super great for pvp either, because of how little bleed fires even with carthus rouge, and how you can roll out of the bleed effect. And the twinblades are apparently slower than most straight swords and especially the estoc, annoyingly.

Maybe I'll just make an estoc user and parry every three hits and become part of the problem. Or a greatsword.

All of the burial gifts are kind of just there. There's nothing super breaking like in DS1 or that can get you something neat early like in DS2.

Yeah basically this. The twinblades were a huge letdown.

Twinblades are poo poo, there are much better bleed weapons. In particular the Washing Pole (slower, but otherwise superior, better 1hand moveset) and Carthus Curved Sword (crazy fast, decent range). I find the double katana moveset to be extremely awkward and difficult to use but that's arguably a good choice too.

HaB posted:

Str is currently 30.

If you're open to any str weapon, use the greataxe from the area behind the Stray Demon.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

Alabaster White posted:

The Irithyll Sword is critically underpowered, and Frost, while theoretically kinda useful, isn't good enough to carry the weapon. Bleed is the status effect of choice anyway.

Atreiden posted:

It's possibly the closest to a newbie trap weapon this game have. It looks good the first time you get it, if you haven't been upgrading your gear, but it's really bad. I can't be infused or buffed, requires twinkling titanite, frost is really bad and it's base damage is quickly outpaced by other straight swords

Alabaster White posted:

The Irithyll Sword is critically underpowered, and Frost, while theoretically kinda useful, isn't good enough to carry the weapon. Bleed is the status effect of choice anyway.

Thanks for the replies, I'll look else where. I might just give the long sword fire damage or something for the time being. Or I might reroll an other character and try the katana you get off the naked guy at the start of the game, as my stats aren't really focused for my first character.

turtlecrunch posted:

I added a spoiler, but once the game hits a month past US release I probably won't anymore.

Thanks, and fair enough.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

If you're open to any str weapon, use the greataxe from the area behind the Stray Demon.

The axes generally seem to outperform the swords in the super heavy weapons category. They seem about as fast and they hit a good deal harder.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Shnag posted:

Thanks for the replies, I'll look else where. I might just give the long sword fire damage or something for the time being. Or I might reroll an other character and try the katana you get off the naked guy at the start of the game, as my stats aren't really focused for my first character.

Thanks, and fair enough.

Don't worry to much about it on your first character. Especially not if you try to play it blind. You are fairly close to being able to respec.technically one boss and most of a dungeon away, though it may take a while to find. getting your dex to 16 (or even 18) for the uchigatana is fine, even if you are going for a str build, since a lot of str weapons require that. And just upgrade the long sword to +2 if you have the materials, it should be fine for where you are.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
What's the deal with the "get summoned to protect X" covenants this go around? I've been on for ~2 hours with the Wolf covenant glowing, while Embered in case it matters, with not a single summon. SL92. Is there something extra that needs to be done or happen to actually get picked up?

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

for wolf covenant you have to be around level 20-30 or its barely gonna work. it doesnt just scale you to the host for some reason. but also, even when you are in that level range, it still barely works.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Obligatum VII posted:

The axes generally seem to outperform the swords in the super heavy weapons category. They seem about as fast and they hit a good deal harder.

Great Club is a good weapon too. Great weight, stamina consumption and moveset. I've caught so many guys trying to get behind me with a charged R2, and with 50 STR a charged R2 will do a huge chunk of damage.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
About Aldrich theories: Isn't he Smough? That's the armour you can buy from the Handmaiden after the boss fight. Aldrich's true home is said to be Irithyll, which turns out to be Anor Londo. Would also fit nicely with the boss arena. In addition, Hawkwood says that Aldrich was made a Lord of Cinder 'not for virtue, but for might' which Smough certainly had. Of course, his sainthood and connection to the Deep are unexplained by this identity. The armour could be a red herring.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Merauder posted:

What's the deal with the "get summoned to protect X" covenants this go around? I've been on for ~2 hours with the Wolf covenant glowing, while Embered in case it matters, with not a single summon. SL92. Is there something extra that needs to be done or happen to actually get picked up?

You are way too high for watchdogs sadly. It's more around lvl 20-40 and no more than +2 weapons. But for a lot of us, the auto summon covenants just doesn't work. Embered doesn't matter for them. You might have some luck with Blue Sentinels/blades of the dark moon, if you are one of those it actually works for.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

Stokes posted:

The pvp meta game is estus management.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

I've gotten 30 ears on two characters now just by wearing Sentinel/Darkmoon through the majority of my NG playthrough. A shame it doesn't work for a lot of people. Maybe it's some weird nonsense about when you first started playing DS3? Cause I played it on launch day. Maybe some sort of account ID stuff messing everything up?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

turtlecrunch posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on why Wolnir's patch of abyss is inside a goblet? Did someone trick him into drinking from it and it dragged him in? I guess the grave wardens could still have contact with him inside there because he could summon them, but he can't get himself out.

The goblet is Wolnir's skull. When you touch it, it creates a magic hallucination of Wolnir to fight. Its not actually teleporting you to the abyss and Wolnir wasn't actually a 50 foot tall skeleton man.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that's what I thought at first, but it might be a little too out there. I also got the impression that Wolnir is the True Monarch from DS2, kind of.

I think Wolnir is supposed to be a parallel of the DS2 player without the SOTFS ending. An all powerful conqueror that kicks tons of rear end and makes a big name for himself, but ultimately still slides into irrelevance as his legacy crumbles. Basically saying that all that power doesn't mean anything in the long run if you don't do anything with it to break the cycle.

Aldia and the fate of the DS2 protagonist, assuming the SOTFS ending is the canon one, is one of my biggest questions right now. The work you did with him is set up as being pretty drat important but its unclear what this actually was. I thought the Unkindled were supposed to be a result of your work but apparently an interview stated that they are just undead that hosed up linking the first flame a long time ago and have nothing to do with that.

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008

Stokes posted:

The pvp meta game is estus management.

Maybe it should not be because it inherently gives the host an advantage and is also dumb and boring as gently caress.

Also hunter charms _are_ useless and you have to be a complete idiot to die because of one even if you get hit since you can just run away for 30 seconds until it wears off.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:

Promontory posted:

About Aldrich theories: Isn't he Smough? That's the armour you can buy from the Handmaiden after the boss fight. Aldrich's true home is said to be Irithyll, which turns out to be Anor Londo. Would also fit nicely with the boss arena. In addition, Hawkwood says that Aldrich was made a Lord of Cinder 'not for virtue, but for might' which Smough certainly had. Of course, his sainthood and connection to the Deep are unexplained by this identity. The armour could be a red herring.

If I remember correctly, you can buy Smough's armor after you find his hammer which is in an area before Pontiff.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Going up an elevator on top of a windmill and ending up in Magma Zone was much better than mystically magically teleporting from Firelink onto the high wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Internet Kraken posted:

Its not actually teleporting you to the abyss

Why do you say this? The only argument I could understand is that you don't need the Covenant of Artorias to survive it, but you also don't need that to enter the Abyss in the Dark Souls 1 DLC or the Dark Chasm of Old in Dark Souls 2.