Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CuddlyZombie posted:

Hi thread, I'm on the cusp of getting to part 6, but I've heard about how it ends and it's bumming me out and making me not want to read on. Is there anything in parts 7 or 8 that in retrospect make part 6's ending feel a bit better? Or do the Duwang Gang, old man Joseph, Turtle Polnareff, and my boy Tonio just get unceremoniously deleted?

The bolded part is your brain telling you lies. Ignore its evil whispers and prepare yourself for the Best JoJo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

CuddlyZombie posted:

Hi thread, I'm on the cusp of getting to part 6, but I've heard about how it ends and it's bumming me out and making me not want to read on. Is there anything in parts 7 or 8 that in retrospect make part 6's ending feel a bit better? Or do the Duwang Gang, old man Joseph, Turtle Polnareff, and my boy Tonio just get unceremoniously deleted?
There's not much to help the initial blow but Part 7 and 8 are some of the greatest JoJo we've ever had and I implore you to press on. Be like Polnareff and continue to press on even after losing two of your best friends to a vampire in a hell void, I believe in you.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

CuddlyZombie posted:

dont be a loving pussy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Skip Part 6

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Baal posted:

Skip Part 6

:agreed:

It's the only part i haven't read.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
reported

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Please don't skip the most badass JoJo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please skip Jolyne

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

I'm flipping through random Part 4 volumes and something just hit me: why didn't Jotaro or Rohan or anyone have Joseph use Hermit Purple to get a spirit photo of who Kira impersonated?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think Joseph would have to have some idea of what the person looks like or their identity to consciously do it. Like with Dio he already had a connection to him through the nonsense that was going on, so he can't just magic up an image of someone naked in the shower being creepy with their kid.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
The ending of Part 6 is incredibly cool regardless of whether you like its implications

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

But he got a photo of Aqua Necklace and/or Angelo when he was trying to get a photo of Josuke? I'm not seeing much connection there unless we're going Angelo <- Keicho <- Enyaba <- Dio, but even so, we can replace Angelo and Keicho on that list with Kira and his father.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh yeah, he did give the photo for Angelo, huh? I'd just chalk it up to plot gaffe at that point then.

EDIT: I mean the photos aren't always 100% infallible too and it's possible you could reason it that he just didn't get a clear one this time.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 7, 2016

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Yeah, that's probably what I'm going to go with from now on. Still, it's kinda weird since Joseph was expressly brought to Morioh so they could get a photo of a guy who they hadn't actually seen but were actively pursuing.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I wanna say the idea of getting Angelo in the photos was that Angelo was overpowering Josuke's "aura" or w/e and that Angelo had a stronger presence in Morioh which is why it was much faster for Jotaro to visit than grandpa. Bringing in Joseph to find Akira was more like a "Man, I dunno how ELSE we're gonna find him, let's try the method we used to get DIO's location, it's our strongest lead."

Due to how Kira is obsessed with living under the radar, I wouldn't be surprised if he just couldn't appear on spirit photos due to Stand magic

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't skip parts btw, I was being spiteful. Read Part 6, form your own opinion of it and come back to the thread so I can poo poo on it.

For real though, don't ask about skipping parts. Like even if it's not just because you're like "Show me the good stuff" and it comes from an actual place of concern, people have experienced the series that way for a reason, it's best for you to do so as well. That being said Johnny is more badass than Jolyne, gently caress every scrub in the thread.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Joseph kept trying to get a spirit photo of Kira, but this smug teenage kid with a notebook kept showing up and everyone chalked it up to senility.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you dislike Part 6 you should ban yourself from life.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I agree, Aurain should ban himself

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

multijoe posted:

Part 7 and 8 are set in an entirely different continuity, similar characters and Stands crop up in recontextualised ways but they have no bearing on anything which happened in the original timeline. There's alot of good stuff in Part 6 though and even though it does erase everyone from existence it's definitely worth a read and the ending shows the cast are reincarnated in a new world without the legacy of DIO turning everything to poo poo so it's not too big a leap to assume everyone else is out there too but not stuck in turtles or with unkillable zombie dads or whatever.

So does this mean dudes like Kira and Diavolo are out there livin normal lives too? Kira's a ghost in one world and Diavolo is dying over and over, but does Made in Heaven wipe both of those clean? Important questions ITT.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
What they don't show you is that humanity in the Ireneverse is actually being ruled over by the Pillar Men

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Raserys posted:

What they don't show you is that humanity in the Ireneverse is actually being ruled over by the Pillar Men

Joseph Joestar beat them anyway, with nothing but the power of stage magic and lying off his rear end

Naerasa posted:

So does this mean dudes like Kira and Diavolo are out there livin normal lives too? Kira's a ghost in one world and Diavolo is dying over and over, but does Made in Heaven wipe both of those clean? Important questions ITT.

Listen to your heart

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Naerasa posted:

Kira is the best JoJo.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Part 5 probably.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

CJ posted:

Part 5 probably.

You are a truly wretched beast.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

CJ posted:

Part 5 probably.

Your redtext is right, shithead...

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

CJ posted:

Part 5 probably.

At least until the new translation is finished (my appreciation of part 5 would probably be much lower if I had decided to read past what's been re-translated)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

How many of these things do you have?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

But I have a template so technically infinite.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Something I just thought of... in the anime, has josuke bitten his lip at all? from fear?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Part 4 is about Josuke 'fixing' the Japanese economy, by punching capitalism

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

no they will not posted:

Something I just thought of... in the anime, has josuke bitten his lip at all? from fear?

I thought he did a tiny bit when gramps didn't wake up but I could be wrong.

Raserys posted:

Part 4 is about Josuke 'fixing' the Japanese economy, by punching capitalism

There is no such thing as ethical spaghetti punching under capitalism

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

At least until the new translation is finished (my appreciation of part 5 would probably be much lower if I had decided to read past what's been re-translated)

I'd say, when going through JoJo, you can justifiably save Part 5 for last due to the second half still being mired in the old translation, if only because a few extra chapters might get done by doing that. But honestly it's still really good and worth reading through. Enough is translated now you actually get a good feel for people's characters, and there's only so far bad words can mess up fundamentally amazing stand battles and Bruno being literally too cool to die.

hoobajoo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 7, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Rohan Kishibe posted:

All those people are fine, it's just Part 6 characters and Jotaro who die and get replaced by soulless quantum duplicates.

Is this true? Because if so then I have no reservations whatsoever.

multijoe posted:

Part 7 and 8 are set in an entirely different continuity, similar characters and Stands crop up in recontextualised ways but they have no bearing on anything which happened in the original timeline.

Wait, parts 7 and 8 aren't even in the reset universe?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nothing to indicate it, though Araki Said™ they're not.

That's one of the strongest Araki Said™'s going though. No reliable source for it at all and the ASB thing doesn't properly clarify.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Thematically they're very different. Ireneverse is basically a peaceful end for the Joestar line after dealing with extreme amounts of bullshit through the original saga, the SBRverse if anything is even worse and more unfair than what DIO put them through.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I think it's intentionally vague so Araki can bullshit a connection up if he wants to, and if he doesn't, well, it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

CuddlyZombie posted:

There's nothing definitive one way or the other, and I think it's best to leave it vague and let each person decide which they like better.