Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
Apparently there are elections in San Antonio today for school board stuff, so everyone who can vote, go vote. (This always applies.)

It's a good thing my parents and I always go vote as a family, cuz I sure didn't get any other notifications that there were elections today.

I voted for Alderete for Alamo Colleges District 1 Trustee, see if you can figure out why:

quote:

Joe Alderete, 71, a marketing consultant, is being challenged by Adan Hernandez, 64, an artist, in the district that includes parts of the West and Northwest sides.

Alderete, chairman of the board’s student success committee and a former San Antonio city councilman, is running for a second term. He said he has brought a renewed focus to student success during his time on the board. He describes himself as a “pro-faculty guy” who pushes the board to include professors in important decisions.

“There has to be somebody that moves the agenda, that changes the conversation, and I feel like I’ve played that role,” he said.

Hernandez said the Alamo Colleges offer “education with very little future in it,” such as cosmetology and data processing programs. As a trustee, Hernandez said, he would push for alternatives that lead to “meaningful careers,” though he didn’t give specific examples.
Hint: it's the part where Hernandez runs down the degree programs he'd be representing if he wins.

Also I like that Alderete wants the board to include professors in important decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
"There are no meaningful careers in data processing" :psyboom:

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

fade5 posted:

Hint: it's the part where Hernandez runs down the degree programs he'd be representing if he wins.

Wait, I can't tell what Hernandez is getting at there. It feels like it could be either end of the spectrum. Either he's saying that these peasant careers in things like cosmetology are worthless and everyone should be in hard-STEM now, but the fact that he's an artist has me wondering if he's saying that sitting down at a data processing job your whole life is a waste of your beautiful existence and you need to do something "meaningful" like art and poetry.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

e_angst posted:

Yea, that's what's irking people about the cover. Like, best-case scenario, it's the family of someone who owns one of the recommended restaurants and absolutely no one had a thought in their head as they staged the photo. Worst case, they are trying to go for some kind of "message" and being complete idiots about it (because the cover restaurant review issue is where we can finally solve racism, of course).

What irks me about the cover is the idiotic blonde lady taking a photo of her food. GAWD!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It's a family-style restaurant, but the white people have taken all the food for themselves. Really makes you think

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

e_angst posted:

Wait, I can't tell what Hernandez is getting at there. It feels like it could be either end of the spectrum. Either he's saying that these peasant careers in things like cosmetology are worthless and everyone should be in hard-STEM now, but the fact that he's an artist has me wondering if he's saying that sitting down at a data processing job your whole life is a waste of your beautiful existence and you need to do something "meaningful" like art and poetry.
I think you nailed it. It's the dismissive STEM-lord attitude, but coming from an artist (of all things) and it's hitting at both ends of the jobs spectrum.

It'd be funny as hell if this guy wasn't running for a position of actual power. The one plus is that the incumbent usually wins in these types of elections, and anyone who did even a cursory glance for info should find the same story I found.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 7, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

What's hilarious is that both Uber and Lyft are saying they will leave Austin if Prop 1 fails, which introduces a very exciting game-theory situation of "which one of them will change their stance at the last minute and decide to take the whole Austin market for themselves?"

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

What's hilarious is that both Uber and Lyft are saying they will leave Austin if Prop 1 fails, which introduces a very exciting game-theory situation of "which one of them will change their stance at the last minute and decide to take the whole Austin market for themselves?"

I thought Lyft might do this in Corpus Christi, but they followed Uber right out of town. Austin is a much bigger prize though ...

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
So are they leaving because they are claiming it would be too expensive to operate if Prop 1 doesn't pass? Maybe they shouldn't have spent $8-9 million on their deceptive campaign.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Spacebump posted:

So are they leaving because they are claiming it would be too expensive to operate if Prop 1 doesn't pass? Maybe they shouldn't have spent $8-9 million on their deceptive campaign.

It will be impossible to run their business if drivers have to get fingerprinted first! That destroys the ease of joining you see.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Which one's the gently caress UBER option? No, right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

citybeatnik posted:

Which one's the gently caress UBER option? No, right?

Correct.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Im actually surprised to see so many people essentially saying gently caress Uber. My Corpus Christi friends are all adamant about how Uber needs to come back because of drunk drivers even though there is no evidence that Uber is actually decreasing DUIs.

But apparently there is another rideshare company called "Get Me" that is out operating in Houston and Austin. Although I don't know much about them.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I went from totally ambivalent to "gently caress off Uber" over the past few months, and I'm not sure why.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
If anyone lives in Funkytown, please go vote no on all our propositions. Our mayor does not need a 100% pay raise.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PostNouveau posted:

I thought Lyft might do this in Corpus Christi, but they followed Uber right out of town. Austin is a much bigger prize though ...

I expect they would both pull out but at least one would be back before SXSW next year.

blackguy32 posted:

Im actually surprised to see so many people essentially saying gently caress Uber. My Corpus Christi friends are all adamant about how Uber needs to come back because of drunk drivers even though there is no evidence that Uber is actually decreasing DUIs.

But apparently there is another rideshare company called "Get Me" that is out operating in Houston and Austin. Although I don't know much about them.

I installed their app but haven't had the need to take a ride. It seems pretty much the same as Uber/Lyft if you are on iOS. Their android app is apparently extremely buggy though.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

enraged_camel posted:

They both did leave San Antonio for a couple months over the same issue and the ADA one. You know, despite just being an app that connects people and thus couldn't leave an area if that were true.
Lyft caved first and Uber followed, giving in to the demands to treat people equally and keep a record of whose working.

blackguy32 posted:

I think it's mainly young people have never taken a normal taxi and are afraid to despite or because of that.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

gently caress UBER vote successfully cast, eagerly awaiting the final result.

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

duz posted:

I think it's mainly young people have never taken a normal taxi and are afraid to despite or because of that.

I dunno how much Uber fares are in Austin, but when I lived in New England they slashed rates in several cities. It was very competitive, and I have no idea how drivers who leased cars were doing this.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Looks like Uber lost

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

election results page:

http://traviselectionresults.com/enr/results/display.do;jsessionid=ddaa02273dd1eaa1c4cfc6167b88?criteria.electionId=201605&formSubmitted=1

Early voting against 56% to 44%

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

blackguy32 posted:

There's not other good options in Corpus. There's not enough cabs that you can just step outside and hail one. I don't know that people would mind hailing regular cabs on apps and paying more, but the yellow cab app doesn't work here. So that leaves you with calling the cab company and then waiting around for them to never pick you up.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Aliquid posted:

Today's the day to tell them to go gently caress themselves. Anyone got a vote prediction?

NO 55-45

:smugdon::smugdon::smugdon:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Haha Uber :frogout:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

:drat:

Nice prediction

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Looks like the early voting split is continuing in the election day numbers. This genuinely feels like the greatest victory for democracy in a long time. :911:

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Sardonik posted:

Looks like the early voting split is continuing in the election day numbers. This genuinely feels like the greatest victory for democracy in a long time. :911:

Now it's looking like the Election Day results are even more against the ordinance. Yea, this feels like a good win.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/banking-on-popularity-uber-and-lyft-hit-a-wall-in-/nrJPc/

quote:

“It would change the entire experience of living in Austin if Uber and Lyft were to leave,” said Anthony Rose, 29, who moved to Austin from the San Francisco Bay Area a year and a half ago and depends on Uber almost daily to get around the city. Rose said he’s already voted for Prop 1.

Did this get posted already, cause oh man that quote is the most AUSTIN thing I've read.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/banking-on-popularity-uber-and-lyft-hit-a-wall-in-/nrJPc/

Did this get posted already, cause oh man that quote is the most AUSTIN thing I've read.

Wow, I didn't even realize I was getting to tell that guy to go gently caress himself with my No vote. Bonus points!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

This gives me hope that Old Austin still has some sway over people like that.

i say swears online fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 8, 2016

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Sir Tonk posted:

Death to Californians.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
This is all Richard Linklater's fault! :argh:

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
What.... what are we going to do without Uber???

We'll have to tak..take.... :qq: :qq: :qq: PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION :qq: :qq: :qq:

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
Ahahahahaaa suck it, Uber.

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
gently caress YOU UBER

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

What.... what are we going to do without Uber???

We'll have to tak..take.... :qq: :qq: :qq: PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION :qq: :qq: :qq:

Public trans in Austin blows if you have to go east-west at all or aren't trying to go through the downtown area

gently caress that guy, though

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I've used Austin public transportation for over twenty years and I do not think I have ever once used it to go east-west.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Aliquid posted:

I've used Austin public transportation for over twenty years and I do not think I have ever once used it to go east-west.

When I was working at the IRS it was the primary direction I needed to go and it usually involved 45 minute waits standing around on Ben White.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Austin should just build a loop like the three four Houston has.

Or tell like a quarter of a million people to leave and cap the population.

Swagger Dagger posted:

When I was working at the IRS it was the primary direction I needed to go and it usually involved 45 minute waits standing around on Ben White.

Were you at the building that dude flew his plane into?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sir Tonk posted:

Austin should just build a loop like the three four Houston has.

Or tell like a quarter of a million people to leave and cap the population.

Were you at the building that dude flew his plane into?

Nah, that building was up north, I worked in the complex down south off 35. All I remember about that incident was that they almost gave us the day off and then decided not to.