Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Weird to see nobody mentions Painkiller when talking about doom like games. That game had some legit cool moments, lots of fancy weapons and various enemy types that needed different tactics. However most of the fun lay in experimenting with the weapons and their alternative firemodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8aU4MYDsOQ

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Christ, I was perusing the Doom wiki (since I had to look up what a specter was) and I didn't realize the Spider Mastermind had arms until I saw its original model.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I love the Doom 1 callbacks, even though it was aping the Doom 4 trailers.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

GyverMac posted:

Weird to see nobody mentions Painkiller when talking about doom like games. That game had some legit cool moments, lots of fancy weapons and various enemy types that needed different tactics. However most of the fun lay in experimenting with the weapons and their alternative firemodes.

Painkiller is cool, but like Serious Sam it doesn't really have anything to with Doom.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Gobblecoque posted:

Painkiller is cool, but like Serious Sam it doesn't really have anything to with Doom.

Dont see why you say that, the gameplay of both games contains crowd control and movement tactics among other things.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GyverMac posted:

Dont see why you say that, the gameplay of both games contains crowd control and movement tactics among other things.

WoW has crowd control and movement tactics too :cheeky:

Yeah those are also FPS, but they're played in a very opposite manner. Pankiller / Sam is "run backwards shooting at fast things that chase you"

Doom's enemies mostly stand still other than Pinkies, and you're the one running around slapping them with the SSG before you ice-skate away to kill the next high priority target.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If you do nothing but run backwards in Serious Sam you're going to die really fast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Kibayasu posted:

If you do nothing but run backwards in Serious Sam you're going to die really fast.

Well no poo poo, you've gotta shoot also :cheeky:

The important things are that Sam's enemies move 100x faster than Doom's, and Sam's levels are all waaaaaay huge and wide open compared to anything Id did in Doom 1/2.

The closest Sam has to do with Doom are the huge slaughter map WADs that came out later, but that was never my favorite part of Doom anyhow.

If you like Sam or Painkiller that's cool, I'm just bummed we haven't gotten anything of the other style since like Quake 1/2.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Well it would seem that you can always bet on DOOM :grin:

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

If you like Sam or Painkiller that's cool, I'm just bummed we haven't gotten anything of the other style since like Quake 1/2.

I'm almost willing to bet that there were some shovelware / indie FPS games that did it as well as Quake 1&2 if not better. It's just that it's not what modern gamers have been looking for ever since Call of Duty 1, so they were probably overlooked.

I remember a game with Doom-style health pots and jump pads and stuff that had a similar style fairly recently. I can't remember the name. I think it was a remake/sequel of some classic FPS.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

do you think BBG will start calling the new battlefield Retard 1?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Xerxes17 posted:

Well it would seem that you can always bet on DOOM :grin:

*looks at tattoo on inner thigh* it says Duke, but you're probably right.

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm almost willing to bet that there were some shovelware / indie FPS games that did it as well as Quake 1&2 if not better.

I wouldn't bet on that. There are various things I would always bet on though

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Dyz posted:

You care about the story in DooM? Why?

People liked what Machine games did to wolfenstien the new order, it had a good story, tons of lore, expanded on return and the 360 games, had great characters, turned a one dementional character into something relatively complex. and it actualy had a sex scenes that were pretty tasteful. Some people think thats whats ID will do with DOOM. its obviously not. but i am sure the lore will be sorta interesting.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

...sex scenes that were pretty tasteful. Some people think thats whats ID will do with DOOM.

Impse incoming.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I'm almost willing to bet that there were some shovelware / indie FPS games that did it as well as Quake 1&2 if not better. It's just that it's not what modern gamers have been looking for ever since Call of Duty 1, so they were probably overlooked.

I remember a game with Doom-style health pots and jump pads and stuff that had a similar style fairly recently. I can't remember the name. I think it was a remake/sequel of some classic FPS.

That's Rise of the Triad and it sucked. But that's not because the genre sucks, its because it was an awkward project on a budget.

The closest we've gotten has probably been Shadow Warrior but its not really trying to be Doom at all so, still not quite the same thing.

Or Hard Reset, but I consider that to be more like Serious Sam.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Hard Reset was a slightly less tedious Serious Sam with more interesting environments.

Hellburger99
Jan 24, 2006

"I don't like that mooch...
or her pooch!
"

Dapper_Swindler posted:

People liked what Machine games did to wolfenstien the new order, it had a good story, tons of lore, expanded on return and the 360 games, had great characters, turned a one dementional character into something relatively complex. and it actualy had a sex scenes that were pretty tasteful. Some people think thats whats ID will do with DOOM. its obviously not. but i am sure the lore will be sorta interesting.

The original instruction manuals for Doom and Doom 2 were filled with lore and notes on the weapons and enemies. Since no one makes instructions any more, I'm perfectly fine with an in game codex.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I hope Retard 4 has a first person sex scene.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Linguica posted:

Video Games have finally grown up.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Well no poo poo, you've gotta shoot also :cheeky:

The important things are that Sam's enemies move 100x faster than Doom's, and Sam's levels are all waaaaaay huge and wide open compared to anything Id did in Doom 1/2.

The closest Sam has to do with Doom are the huge slaughter map WADs that came out later, but that was never my favorite part of Doom anyhow.

Serious Sam level 2 was tight cramped corridors. Doom episode 1 features a kill rate roughly 3 times what Serious Sam averaged. You're not completely wrong (Sam's enemies are certainly more threatening), but you're downplaying the less iconic parts of both games. The biggest difference between the two games is that Doom has to resort to meatwalls or hitscan to be threatening while Serious Sam can just throw a reflexes test to gank half your health with a single kleer's attack. The second biggest difference I find between the two games is that Serious Sam is something like 5 times as long. Doom E1-3 can be kill focused through in about an hour each. Some Serious Sam levels also can be kill focused through in an hour each.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Linguica posted:

It's gonna be real tasteful. Gonna taste that imp taint

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and it actualy had a sex scenes that were pretty tasteful. Some people think thats whats ID will do with DOOM. its obviously not. but i am sure the lore will be sorta interesting.

One of the Doom Books posted:

Flynn was covered in blood and guts. The miasma surrounded him like a warm blanket. Almost...getting sleepy... He searched the satchel for another needle but came up empty. This jarhead's got nothin' but crumbs left in him.

But then he saw Arlene: Fox company's finest for more reasons than one. And his very own inferno started to stir inside of him.

"I'm gonna gently caress you, Arlene," Flynn blurted, suddenly drunk on some inexplicable sensation that wasn't simply hatred or bloodlust. Well, lust, maybe... "I'm gonna gently caress you until the end of days."

Arlene smiled impishly. "I think you're all outta time then, cowboy."

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Man, Doom's intro story was amazingly well crafted for what it is, and along with the box art set the tone perfectly for the game it was attached to. I wouldn't be surprised if people who read it and people who didn't played the game very differently, it sets such a foreboding tone that as soon as the first level loaded I just wanted to turn around and go cower in fear in the landing pod. No Chosen One crap, no big cinematic catastrophe, you're just some unlucky mofo in a grim universe alone against a moonfull of unknown horrors. Reads a lot like Heinlein/Haldeman vs the Star Warsy stuff we always get.

quote:

THE STORY SO FAR

You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in
combat and trained for action. Three years ago, you
assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to
fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to
Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of
the Union Aerospace Corporation.

The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with
radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons,
Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles,
your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted
flicks in the rec room.

For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest
supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and
Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including
research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they
have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos,
throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out
the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown
dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them
have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange
form of insanity--babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning
anything that breathes, and finally suffering an untimely
death of full-body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to
send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest
military reports state that the research is suffering a
small set-back, but everything is under control.

A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from
Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something
fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer
systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon
afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since
then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have
been unsuccessful.

You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty
million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were
ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest
of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio
picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling
orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence.
Seems your buddies are dead.

IT'S UP TO YOU

Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate
off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons
have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a
pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma
rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your
way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of
pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the
landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial
firepower somewhere within the station.

As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you
hear animal-like growls echoing throughout the distant
corridors. They know you're here. There's no turning back
now.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'm hoping story wise doom 4 is a retelling of the first doom, just so you can have a chance to actually save your pet rabbit daisy this time, not just avenge its death!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

dr_rat posted:

I'm hoping story wise doom 4 is a retelling of the first doom, just so you can have a chance to actually save your pet rabbit daisy this time, not just avenge its death!

You've gotta let go, gotta move on with your life. At least cool music was playing during that tragedy.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Heavy Metal posted:

You've gotta let go, gotta move on with your life. At least cool music was playing during that tragedy.

A true gentelmen never allows demons to slaughter a much beloved(probably?) family pet. It's true, daisy did at least get a properly epic death. I'm sure it took a couple of those demonic bastards with it before it was torn limb from fluffy limb. :black101:

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
i will never stop bugging pete hines on twitter if daisy is canon

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Haha yeah, that was taken straight out of the film Ghost Ship.

There's a bit in the game where you looked into a mirror in one of the toilets in the game and you saw a hallucination of yourself aging to death, that bit legit scared the poo poo out of me back in the day. Doom 3 was full of great little horror moments like that.

Man that mirror bit was amazing and it scared the poo poo out of me. It looked like his skull was trying to escape.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Retard 4 with mouse/keyboard, high FOV, and turned-off fatality glows looks kinda fast actually??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueRjbYdcXbs

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
The glory kill glows were on, he just barely left anything standing with his guns. I wish they had posted some footage like this before, would have saved so much moaning about the game looking slow. Fast movement and aiming, putting things down fast, quick gun switching without the weapon wheel. Looked great.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

AirRaid posted:

The glory kill glows were on, he just barely left anything standing with his guns. I wish they had posted some footage like this before, would have saved so much moaning about the game looking slow. Fast movement and aiming, putting things down fast, quick gun switching without the weapon wheel. Looked great.
Bethesda marketing is known for many, many good decisions like dime store Master Chief pose on the box art

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Linguica posted:

Retard 4 with mouse/keyboard, high FOV, and turned-off fatality glows looks kinda fast actually??

This is how they should've demoed the game, the difference in speed is huge. seriously gently caress controllers.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
Some of the perceived speed difference is the higher FOV, but yeah the way he aims and switches weapons is so much faster and smoother.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Hellburger99 posted:

The original instruction manuals for Doom and Doom 2 were filled with lore and notes on the weapons and enemies. Since no one makes instructions any more, I'm perfectly fine with an in game codex.

it does have an in game codex.

wasn't that written by some weird mormon dude?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Jesus that looks crazy fast.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Linguica posted:

Yeah this actually looks pretty good. One of the things I keep saying is that all their demos are not only on console with a controller, but they don't even loving have always-run turned on. So half the time you're watching them walk around and saunter from place to place, which makes it look horribly slow, and yet the game itself isn't actually that slow.

Bethesda is just loving retarded at marketing.

3:00 in and he's jumping from platform to platform while circle-strafing enemies, this is good.

Al-Saqr posted:

This is how they should've demoed the game, the difference in speed is huge. seriously gently caress controllers.

Its more the always-run than the controllers. Go back and watch the videos, he moves this fast in very very brief intervals, but otherwise he WALKS everywhere. That's why its so slow. Ugh. Dunno what the gently caress they were thinking.

Who plays doom without always-run? That ain't right.

First thing I do in GZDoom is un-bind jump, turn off any texture filtering, bind WSAD and turn on always-run.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on May 7, 2016

Brooks Cracktackle
Oct 17, 2008

Linguica posted:

Why didn't they just demo the game like this from the start? This actually looks fun

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wasn't that written by some weird mormon dude?

Yeah he posts on this website, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Brooks Cracktackle posted:

Why didn't they just demo the game like this from the start? This actually looks fun

Because Bethesda's marketing department has their heads buried in the loving sand.

They also showed us hours and hours of the Certain Affinity designed COD multiplayer before they ever showed us proper single player footage.

They are morons.

See this:

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Bethesda marketing is known for many, many good decisions like dime store Master Chief pose on the box art