Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Ah, woops, I'm constantly 10 years behind in bike tech :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

The California EPA is one of the most progressive state EPAs/DEQs in the country in terms of passing legislation across the board, too. It's not just air, they're restrictive about water and minerals as well. Between the impact of an enormous population and a land area that includes everything from low desert to alpine tundra, coastline, and resources like super old-growth timber, salmon, great farmland, and gold, California has been pretty heavily exploited since it was settled. It shows in the high rate of endangered species, water scarcity, and an asspocket of regulations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

sofullofhate posted:

This was true some time back, but most manufacturers just sell CA legal bikes to everyone in North America now - even Ducati. You can tell by looking at the emissions sticker on the frame / airbox / wherever your manufacturer put it, though.

Does not apply to FJ09. Found out the hard way.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Z3n posted:

Does not apply to FJ09. Found out the hard way.

What do you mean by that?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

A MIRACLE posted:

What do you mean by that?

Housemate bought a FJ09 in Nevada, brought it to Ca, promptly got screwed by the 7500 mile requirement because Yamaha makes a 49 state bike and a CA model bike.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Speaking of FJs, can anyone confirm the fuel tank is standard steel (not aluminum)? I want to use a tank bag but need to make sure it'll work.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

No. 6 posted:

Speaking of FJs, can anyone confirm the fuel tank is standard steel (not aluminum)? I want to use a tank bag but need to make sure it'll work.

Can't you just get a magnet from your fridge and see if it sticks?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm renting the bike and it's on the other side of the country.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
According to this it is a steel tank.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

SaNChEzZ posted:

Things goons talk about : Gas pumps, why your pizza/burgers suck, why your city/state sucks, why you're wrong.

You forgot BBQ chat.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

sofullofhate posted:

On long trips, I stay on the bike to maximize the amount of fuel I can get in the tank. Otherwise, always off.

Even off my bike, if I top off all the way a bunch ends up dumping out the overflow valve. Scared some people behind me at a stop sign once right after filling up, then scared me to death thinking I was dumping gasoline everywhere somehow until I looked around and saw the outlet.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

New favorite assholin' roads. :kimchi:

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

I don't have enough bike pics.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

cursedshitbox posted:

New favorite assholin' roads. :kimchi:

Can you go through that gate?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

builds character posted:

Can you go through that gate?

Illegally :v:. basically anything thats a dirt path in the bay area can't be 'legally' touched with a moto...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

cursedshitbox posted:

Illegally :v:. basically anything thats a dirt path in the bay area can't be 'legally' touched with a moto...

For real? I don't ride dirt yet so I don't know the rules.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Chichevache posted:

For real? I don't ride dirt yet so I don't know the rules.

Your close options here are:
Mendocino and its affiliates (south cow, knoxville, stony ford)
hollister hills svra
carnegie svra.

anything local is closed off to everything but horses/MTBs.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
God dammit. While I understand the effort in regards to conservation, I think there should at least be a few areas open to riders. :smith:

dema
Aug 13, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

poo poo, the majority of trails here are closed off to mountain bikes too.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

cursedshitbox posted:

Your close options here are:
Mendocino and its affiliates (south cow, knoxville, stony ford)
hollister hills svra
carnegie svra.

you know I think one of these:

is going to cause more damage to a trail than even a GSA.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
This isn't my bike. But it could be.

ZZRs seem made for custom paintwork.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
A cool workplace:

And hiding behind my lovely topbox:

:swoon:

Front to back: ZZR600, XJR1300, XJ6, CB125F, YBR125, Duke 390, FZ6.

The guy who rides the diversion is a douche because he rides in trainers and trackies and doesn't say hi when we're parking up at the same time :mad:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
This is my (relatively) new dyna right after new handlebars were installed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And you're going to keep them? :crossarms:

(I kid, I kid. Not my style but if it makes you happy, go for it. Rest of the bike looks nice)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

https://youtu.be/L397TWLwrUU?t=38s

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Just bought my first bike an hour ago (thanks to a lot of help from question thread as to gear and Dallas specific questions)

2008 SV650. Pretty dirty in the pic, but I drove it straight from the guy to work haven't had a chance to fiddle with anything.

It has a broken clutch safety switch and a bad radiator fan switch (I have to pinch the leads together to get it to start and there is a loop of wire completely the fan circuit so that it runs all the time). Everything else seems fine, to me, but I dont know anything or have any kind of perspective. I only took my MSF course and have no other experience. Quite a little mini adventure driving it 20 miles through city streets haha.

Now I just have to figure out how to get it inspected, registered, get my endorsement finalized, tags, taxes paid... Im riding as dirty as it gets and its 3 PM on Friday and I haven't mailed my mother's day card yet :|

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
:lol: ride it to your mom's on sunday.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
drat, you found one with a handlebar conversion. Is it as much a best of both worlds as I imagine?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Dutymode posted:

drat, you found one with a handlebar conversion. Is it as much a best of both worlds as I imagine?

How is he going to know?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Now I just have to figure out how to get it inspected, registered, get my endorsement finalized, tags, taxes paid... Im riding as dirty as it gets and its 3 PM on Friday and I haven't mailed my mother's day card yet :|
You have an active insurance policy, right?

Congrats, nice bike.

Duck_King
Sep 5, 2003

leader.bmp

adary posted:

This is my (relatively) new dyna right after new handlebars were installed

I have the same exhaust on my 'Bob too. Really like it.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Duck_King posted:

I have the same exhaust on my 'Bob too. Really like it.

I love how it sounds. I also believe all exhausts should be X-into-1 so it works perfect for me :)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Dutymode posted:

As someone who just ordered $240 worth of parts to finish replacing the godawful clipons on my SVS with handlebars, I'm going to say yes, yes it is. All bikes ridden primarily on the street should have bars, not clipons.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

HotCanadianChick posted:

As someone who just ordered $240 worth of parts to finish replacing the godawful clipons on my SVS with handlebars, I'm going to say yes, yes it is. All bikes ridden primarily on the street should have bars, not clipons.

It only took me 8 years to figure that out. And handlebars are fine for bikes that will see trackdays too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Just having somewhere to clip a GPS/phone mount would be great, but £144 just for the machined steel plate that goes on the yoke is kinda... (he said, but it's similar money for a riser set and they don't have the ancillary advantages of handlebars, so I may end up doing that mod at some point)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I think the best bars for any faired bike are those really wide and relatively tall pseudo-clipons like busas, vfr's etc have.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Love this doofy thing

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nitrox posted:

You have an active insurance policy, right?

Congrats, nice bike.

Was the only thing I could do ahead of time.

Didn't know about the handlebar thing, very cool. It has some god awful hids too that look like they're about 10k temperature though and definitely no projectors ill have to fix.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Was the only thing I could do ahead of time.

Didn't know about the handlebar thing, very cool. It has some god awful hids too that look like they're about 10k temperature though and definitely no projectors ill have to fix.

Welcome to the world of used bike ownership. Make sure that aftermarket headlight did not require a ballast or something that PO had to splice into a factory harness. Because then it's a cparshot on whether or not it's installed with alligator clips and duct tape. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Nitrox posted:

Welcome to the world of used bike ownership. Make sure that aftermarket headlight did not require a ballast or something that PO had to splice into a factory harness. Because then it's a cparshot on whether or not it's installed with alligator clips and duct tape. Good luck.

If they actually are hids they would have ballasts and I'm sure its duct taped because they always are lol. They actually look so lovely though they might just be blue bulbs which would be cool ...

Later though, I'm sore from riding a few hours :)