Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo pissing me off: I probably have to go in for a loving paper jam :catstare:

I think this printer is the one I've had to come in for the most, even though I think it's been refreshed.

Only gives me more motivation to get my CCNA and get the gently caress out of healthcare IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

skooma512 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: I probably have to go in for a loving paper jam :catstare:

I think this printer is the one I've had to come in for the most, even though I think it's been refreshed.

Only gives me more motivation to get my CCNA and get the gently caress out of healthcare IT.

I have no idea what the hell one department does but the pickup rollers in the 2nd tray get sticky every so often. I replaced them a few times and cleaning them with alcohol wipes fixes it. One of the users now cleans the rollers when it get jammed and I left a stack by them. I also have another set of rollers from the maintenance kit for when they actually fail. Replacing rollers every month is not something you should be doing. The wipes end up with lines of pale yellow which is apparently whatever is getting stuck to the rollers and causing the thing to jam.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

xzzy posted:

The way I deflect sales calls is to tell them I'm headed to a meeting and will call them back later. Then I never do.
I just tell them we're a subsidiary of a huge international company (which is true) and have no local purchasing rights (which is a lie) and they give up pretty quick.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is-HVxmUELQ&t=15s

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you make a UI where it is possible to select multiple options from a list, and ticking one box and then holding shift and ticking another doesn't select everything in between, then you are Hitler.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

(Mehr) Arbeit Macht Frei

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Thanks Ants posted:

If you make a UI where it is possible to select multiple options from a list, and ticking one box and then holding shift and ticking another doesn't select everything in between, then you are Hitler.

How about allowing multiple selections and throwing an error when more than one is checked? Note that there is no situation where having more than one item on that list checked will be valid, it's to select a server that receives a unicast command.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Well, that got weird

mark.yaml
Nov 9, 2009

lo siento, no hablo anglais
poo poo pissing me off: I work for an ISP

I spent 4 hours trying to diagnose an issue that affected 1/3 of new auth sessions, with 4 different symptoms, and a single graph in our reporting suit showing an issue (on a server we'd broken a week before and been rebuilding graphs on since).

2 more hours trying to make sure I've ruled everything out our end and building a case to take to our wholesaler. With my on call network engineer giving no fucks.

Spend another hour jumping through byzantine hoops to raise the issue and told it might be tonight, prob tomorrow their diagnostics team will even look at it.

Spend another 2 hours escalating to some people that actually know something.

loving thing is fixed in 30 minutes when they find their radius proxy has been slowly making GBS threads itself all day.

Highly recommend the Rittenhouse 120 proof.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
The next time you're complaining about not being able to work remotely, you should take some time to think about the real consequences of doing so. Consequences like dead younglings.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
poo poo pissing me off: 6:45am on a Monday and I'm dealing with cleaning up after a user's account was compromised and used to send a phishing link to several thousand people.

Is it ever too early to start drinking?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

poo poo pissing me off: 6:45am on a Monday and I'm dealing with cleaning up after a user's account was compromised and used to send a phishing link to several thousand people.

Is it ever too early to start drinking?

It's five o'clock somewhere.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Oddly appropriate considering the only thing I have is vodka.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

For the hundredth time I have to explain to AS/400 guy to figure out what the gently caress happened and don't just try to bullshit me with an answer.

"So why wasn't that unit associated with a store?"

"Well randomly they just get put in there without a store."

"Randomly? Like there's a line of code that says IF RND(NUMBER) THEN or what?"

"Well sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't"

"What are the random odds? 1 in 2? 1 in 100?"

"A couple times a month"

"Well look into it further and figure out why it hosed up! It doesn't just randomly do it! There has to be a reason!"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I. loving. LOATHE. Salespeople. Especially ones that think they're smarter than they are, and get engineers caught up in a bunch of bullshit with clients while simultaneously evading responsibility for it.

Tying back into this previous post in addition to the meeting garbage - been working with my boss and Cisco on this whole debacle since last Thursday to see how their conference room camera system works. Basically the former sales guy that quoted the whole system was told explicitly by Cisco that the camera and CMR system have to work together, there's no way to hook up their system to a PC or other device. Client was quoted licensing costs but they were pretty substantial, so what does the moron sales guy do?

Promises that we can somehow "make it work" without licensing the system and configure to use the Cisco camera/CMR as a webcam. Which we confirmed with 3 Cisco reps will NOT work. So we get to go back to the client, sans idiot sales guy, and do damage control next week to figure out why sales guy said that, and figure out whether we need to yank the Cisco CMR system and cameras, or if Cisco can work with the client on pricing for licenses to use the CMR with WebEx.

I seriously want to find out where sales guy is working next and send them a write-up of all the bullshit this dude pulled to get a quick sale, on top of doing work he wasn't authorized to do and making poo poo worse. Conveniently he said he'd "be available" if we had questions, and to nobody's surprise or shock, hasn't answered his phone or email. :fuckoff:

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

skooma512 posted:

I also work in healthcare IT. I once had to drive in (at the time, I lived 1hr 45mins away) to plug the power back in to a monitor. I spent a good 15mins attempting to walk the user through checking the cables, but she just could not follow simple instructions. While that was pretty infuriating, it was an easy 4 hours of OT to charge and she felt bad, so she cooked up some awesome Filipino food for me the next time she came in.

Paper jams were pretty common when I first started because the printer repair company was loving awful. Since changing companies, our calls have dropped considerably.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I loving hate cheap networking gear. If anyone knows how to get a 3Com HP HP Enterprise 1910 switch to report on the SFP modules inserted into it then I would be very grateful to find out.

The documentation doesn't even mention 'SFP' or 'transceiver' anywhere.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 9, 2016

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

pixaal posted:

I have no idea what the hell one department does but the pickup rollers in the 2nd tray get sticky every so often. I replaced them a few times and cleaning them with alcohol wipes fixes it. One of the users now cleans the rollers when it get jammed and I left a stack by them. I also have another set of rollers from the maintenance kit for when they actually fail. Replacing rollers every month is not something you should be doing. The wipes end up with lines of pale yellow which is apparently whatever is getting stuck to the rollers and causing the thing to jam.

Are they printing any kind of labels with that printer and just shoving the required amount of sheets for their current job in there, leaving no evidence behind? I've seen a few cases where lovely/cheap label sheets not designed for laser printers ended up leaving stuff all over the rollers, although that usually doesn't limit itself to the pickup rollers.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My coworker is taking a week off. His on call week,which also includes memorial day. He didn't bother to check or even ask anyone to cover, he just did it and expects us to deal with it.

Since I'm his secondary, well I just get stuck with it. When I asked him to at least take the holiday and make it fair, he's like "nah I'll be too tired and I don't want to" . Poor loving baby, I sure wish I had the balls just bail on my responsibilities and gently caress people over.

You know what I do for my vacations? I avoid my on call weeks because I'm not a selfish prick and I'm capable of planning ahead. If I do have to do it, I arrange it ahead of time and throw in lunch on me or some other kind of bribe.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

skooma512 posted:

My coworker is taking a week off. His on call week,which also includes memorial day. He didn't bother to check or even ask anyone to cover, he just did it and expects us to deal with it.

Since I'm his secondary, well I just get stuck with it. When I asked him to at least take the holiday and make it fair, he's like "nah I'll be too tired and I don't want to" . Poor loving baby, I sure wish I had the balls just bail on my responsibilities and gently caress people over.

You know what I do for my vacations? I avoid my on call weeks because I'm not a selfish prick and I'm capable of planning ahead. If I do have to do it, I arrange it ahead of time and throw in lunch on me or some other kind of bribe.

Yeah gently caress that guy. Make him run primary and if you get secondary pages call him every half hour during the incident.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
poo poo not pissing me off:

Over the weekend, My dad's ten million year old laptop died and he "had a new one he wanted me to hook up to his printer. And oh, could you get my quicken 2004 file to work on my new Quicken 2012?"

I sit down at his desk and find my old IBM / Lenovo T41 that I'd given to my mom about eight years ago. It was a core2duo running windows XP, had the internal 56k modem still configured with the dial up settings for my ISP (speakeasy.net) and kept identifying the video card as "new VGA adapter". It wouldn't recognize the wireless network, and couldn't identify a USB stick that I stuck in it.

"Please, Dad," I said. "Please don't do this to me or yourself. Spend $300 on a new netbook. Literally anything you buy, at any price point, will be better than this piece of garbage." I continued, "if you attempt to use this laptop, I promise to drop it accidentally multiple times on the concrete driveway."

He ultimately acquiesced and I promised to spec him out a new rig.

Today I got an email from my mom saying she went and bought him a new HP all-in-1 PC with an i5, 8 gigs of ram, an SSD and a spiffy monitor.

With 4-hour on-site support.

I'm not sure what impresses me more, the fact that my mom knows how to spec a solid PC, that my mom has finally learned the value of an on-site warranty or the fact that my dad realized that technology does evolve.

Either way, I'm so proud of them both for this massive accomplishment.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

I'm not sure what impresses me more, the fact that my mom knows how to spec a solid PC, that my mom has finally learned the value of an on-site warranty or the fact that my dad realized that technology does evolve.

Either way, I'm so proud of them both for this massive accomplishment.

"Agrikk honey, can you come over and set your father's bonzi buddy back up for him? He had it just the way he wanted, and now it's all gone, hopefully you can back it up from the old CPU for him. Love you, don't forget we're having meatloaf tomorrow night."

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

stubblyhead posted:

"Agrikk honey, can you come over and set your father's bonzi buddy back up for him? He had it just the way he wanted, and now it's all gone, hopefully you can back it up from the old CPU for him. Love you, don't forget we're having meatloaf tomorrow night."

"Also someone called from Microsoft and said they'd detected a virus on the machine. Isn't technology great? Microsoft can now figure that out FOR you? They were really nice too - they cleaned it all up for us, and they only charged $39.95. I thought that was excellent service. I know you work for Amazon, but it seems to me Microsoft really has this stuff figured out - have you looked into working for them? You could probably do the same thing and just call people up when you detect viruses on the machine. Anyway the computer's running great and this new Windows Security Maintenance popup is real helpful in telling us when there's something wrong".

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Thanks Ants posted:

I loving hate cheap networking gear. If anyone knows how to get a 3Com HP HP Enterprise 1910 switch to report on the SFP modules inserted into it then I would be very grateful to find out.

The documentation doesn't even mention 'SFP' or 'transceiver' anywhere.

http://itswapshop.com/tutorial/hp-v1910-how-enable-full-command-line-access-ssh-or-telnet-management

plus

http://community.hpe.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/itrc-269/30228/1/user_mode_cli.txt

As for the exact CLI command that will get you the SFP tech info? Consider figuring it out as penance for not purging that lovely non-Aruba/HPE monstrosity from this place of existence. :mad:

We've got two of those horrendous things at one site that wants to move the lab they service. The #1 priority of any moving deal we make is that those switches go and are replaced with a single proper HPE 2920.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
A guy rebooted the wrong server*, then couldn't figure out why that didn't solve the problem, so he rebooted it again.

Yeah hey, a couple of notes, uh, that's a production environment, that's a live database, and you're an idiot.

* - If he had rebooted the right server, which is a server which is not in production yet, it absolutely would have fixed the issue if he was doing what he thought he was doing. This is why we check hostnames, people.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

What happened to him?

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hopefully he got (re)booted.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I don't have the authority to fire him (and to be honest, wouldn't have), but I definitely locked his account out since he can't even seem to figure out which server he's on, and he can get his access back from our boss in the morning, most likely after a prolonged discussion on the nature of double-checking.

For me, I didn't even think it was that extraordinary the first time. That was a mistake, bad form, let's just move past that. I barely care, no skin off my back. But when it happened again 20 minutes later, soon followed by an email from him about how he can't get the (not-the-server-you're-actually-rebooting) server to work, I literally ran to the computer yelling "you're on the wrong server!!!" to my wife's great confusion and enjoyment.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 10, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Terminal posted:

http://itswapshop.com/tutorial/hp-v1910-how-enable-full-command-line-access-ssh-or-telnet-management

plus

http://community.hpe.com/hpeb/attachments/hpeb/itrc-269/30228/1/user_mode_cli.txt

As for the exact CLI command that will get you the SFP tech info? Consider figuring it out as penance for not purging that lovely non-Aruba/HPE monstrosity from this place of existence. :mad:

We've got two of those horrendous things at one site that wants to move the lab they service. The #1 priority of any moving deal we make is that those switches go and are replaced with a single proper HPE 2920.

Thanks for that. And yeah, they are huge pieces of poo poo and I've replaced 4 of them with 2920 PoE switches in the last month. Just a couple in a separate building to go.

I sweat the TCO of these garbage switches is higher just because everything takes so much longer.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I was not aware that the MyLevel3 portal was a literal portal to your own personal third level of hell.

Edit: Ten minutes in and I still haven't figured out how to get recurring payments setup :suicide:

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:48 on May 10, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

"Why can't computers just DO what we tell them??"
"They can. You just have to program them."
"Guh. Programming is a lie by the government to make Obama look bad!"
" :raise: "

Now repeat this conversation. Forever.

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

A guy rebooted the wrong server*, then couldn't figure out why that didn't solve the problem, so he rebooted it again.

Yeah hey, a couple of notes, uh, that's a production environment, that's a live database, and you're an idiot.

* - If he had rebooted the right server, which is a server which is not in production yet, it absolutely would have fixed the issue if he was doing what he thought he was doing. This is why we check hostnames, people.

We've had this happen several times and the logs are just perfect little comedies, or tragedies.

Support guy logs into DR server to see why it is active. It looks like one device couldn't reach the main server, so it woke up the DR server. The easiest fix is to reboot the DR server and force the device back to the main.

Support guy logs into main and checks alarms. He checks status of device registered to DR server. He reboots main server. Whoops.

He logs back into main and starts going through alarms and statusing the system. He looks at the command history and presumably sees his reboot.

He logs into the DR server and see that that one device is still registered, and then nothing more.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't have the authority to fire him (and to be honest, wouldn't have), but I definitely locked his account out since he can't even seem to figure out which server he's on, and he can get his access back from our boss in the morning, most likely after a prolonged discussion on the nature of double-checking.

For me, I didn't even think it was that extraordinary the first time. That was a mistake, bad form, let's just move past that. I barely care, no skin off my back. But when it happened again 20 minutes later, soon followed by an email from him about how he can't get the (not-the-server-you're-actually-rebooting) server to work, I literally ran to the computer yelling "you're on the wrong server!!!" to my wife's great confusion and enjoyment.

Is there a reason you didn't color code what servers are okay to reboot without sending out a notice? Double checking is great, but a nice visual of the task bar is red, something is wrong helps. Especially if you are doing it because someone called you at 2AM to do it and you aren't really awake.

If he rebooted from command line then that is his drat fault for typing the wrong thing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it bad to go on linkedin and take joy when you see that one of the really talented people from the job you got laid off from has quit?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it bad to go on linkedin and take joy when you see that one of the really talented people from the job you got laid off from has quit?

No, it's therapy.

My favorite is when a co-worker (that everyone despised) left for a high paying job downtown and it got back to us about a month later he'd been fired for not doing what he claimed he could do. That's a bad thing to have happen around Chicago, the tech community is fairly small and everyone knows someone at all the other big players. You botch a position like that and you might as well go find a new city to live in.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

To be fair if I lived in Chicago I'd welcome a reason to move somewhere else.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I don't disagree.

Parts of it are pretty good, I just wish it wasn't in the midwest.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SubjectVerbObject posted:

Support guy logs into main and checks alarms. He checks status of device registered to DR server. He reboots main server. Whoops.
I wish there was a Windows equivalent to molly-guard. So many times that's saved my rear end from inadvertently rebooting the wrong server when I have too many terminals open.

A color coded BGInfo wallpaper is the best we have on the Windows servers.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

That's pretty much what it's for.

In the same way that Facebook is for seeing which of your 'friends' has gotten old-looking, bald and/or fat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009

wolrah posted:

I wish there was a Windows equivalent to molly-guard. So many times that's saved my rear end from inadvertently rebooting the wrong server when I have too many terminals open.

A color coded BGInfo wallpaper is the best we have on the Windows servers.

It was even worse. I think he used putty to connect to the DR server and ssh'ed to the main, so he didn't type exit and did not pay attention to the command line label.