Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Mazerunner posted:

Possibly a stupid question, but did you actually pick it up? It doesn't automatically go into your inventory. It should be on the ground where they spawn, though.

I'm usually quite good about that sort of thing, and I just went back and checked, and nothing.

God damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I'm usually quite good about that sort of thing, and I just went back and checked, and nothing.

God damnit.

Hmmm. The last hope I can offer is maybe you put it into the storage box? Other than that I guess you're poo poo out of luck.

e; unless you want to see if a kind goon can spare one for you

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

This is good.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

God damnit.

if you're on PC I can give you one.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

turtlecrunch posted:

Also wouldn't it be funny if poise is only turned off because it was in Bloodborne and they just pulled Bloodborne's framework in without checking it ever?

This seems dumb enough to be possible so it's the most believable theory I've heard so far.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I feel really sad that I built my character around Str and Vit, so I could gain as much poise from heavy armor while swinging a Butcher's knife. I also guess using Yhorm's shield to add 30 poise is loving useless.

Can any one give me advice on respeccing into a Dex build? Good weapons etc, adding faith, not allocating stats that =0

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Dex sucks don't do it

Also I realised the one thing that should be patched: the iframe roll ring should only work at under 30% weight or wherever the fast roll cutoff is.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Switched.on posted:

I also followed that thread and never heard about it in there, which is why I was so surprised to hear it had an actual name by the community. Turns out, a lot of the PVP try-hards are on reddit and the fextra wiki forums.
The term somehow got carried over from fighting games, which often use a very similar system. (Although I think they just call it "armor"?)

Simply Simon posted:

let me tell you about the cool hyperarmor my gargoyle hammer gets: farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt
Are you two handing your gargoyle hammer? Usually you'll get a lot more hyperarmor frames when you do, and I don't think great hammers are the exception.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Exodee posted:

The term somehow got carried over from fighting games, which often use a very similar system. (Although I think they just call it "armor"?)

Are you two handing your gargoyle hammer? Usually you'll get a lot more hyperarmor frames when you do, and I don't think great hammers are the exception.
I JUST noticed that I "poised" through an attack so welp. Though it will help me a lot knowing that it's not semi-random or dependant on enemies' used attacks or whatever...

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Exodee posted:

That earlier gif of the guy one handing the black knight axe didn't seem to be having any issues. "A lot more hyper armor if you two hand" itself wasn't the issue so much as "Why the gently caress does weapon A get shitloads of hyper, while weapon B can go gently caress itself one or two handed for 3/4 of it's animation?'

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

one more to go and i'll have killed everything in the game with a bow

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Why the gently caress can invaders hurt each other, and why are NPC invaders programmed to randomly attack you when the host is sitting there next to them with one hp left? It's the stupidest poo poo.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Simply Simon posted:

While we're talking about poise, this bullshit right here. For some weapons and attacks, you apparently can be staggered out like whatever. But here the guy clearly hits you all the time, but the Axe completely ignores it and keeps swinging. Of course it's great, it cheats the system! When I swing my Greatsword, if at any point my enemy's breath lightly brushes my cheek, my character is like WHOA poo poo and that's it with the swing. I'd love to just trade hits like in DS2 if the enemy is dumb enough to try that when his weapon is weaker, but Short Sword < Greatsword doesn't work if the SS always wins by swinging quicker.

Otoh, the Greatsword ALSO doesn't win against Greataxe, because THOSE swings are apparently completely unstaggerable. I don't think that's really "enough poise on their armor" or whatever, Yhorm's weapon, the Dragonslayer Greataxe etc. are just so good because you can swing and NOT get staggered out of the swing. You pretty much have to know that against this weapon, you can forget being "quicker" and stagger them out, be loving careful or they'll push your poo poo in. God help you if they decided to up Stamina enough for one more swing than you'd think they can do.

You seem to already have the gist of how DS3's hyper armour works but it's worth noting that greatswords are in a particularly lovely spot as IIRC they only get hyper armour on the 2hr2s (and maybe 2hr1s late in the animation?) while not really having great range or damage.

Basically, hyper armour is something you only get to take advantage of if you're using Perseverence or a UGS, Curved GS, Great Axe or Great Hammer.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

This guy owns.

"Look at all these bloodstains... and look at me." :smug:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

You seem to already have the gist of how DS3's hyper armour works but it's worth noting that greatswords are in a particularly lovely spot as IIRC they only get hyper armour on the 2hr2s (and maybe 2hr1s late in the animation?) while not really having great range or damage.

Basically, hyper armour is something you only get to take advantage of if you're using Perseverence or a UGS, Curved GS, Great Axe or Great Hammer.

Only really tried it in pve but the Hollowslayer GS felt fantastic as far as hyper-armor goes.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Section Z posted:

That earlier gif of the guy one handing the black knight axe didn't seem to be having any issues. "A lot more hyper armor if you two hand" itself wasn't the issue so much as "Why the gently caress does weapon A get shitloads of hyper, while weapon B can go gently caress itself one or two handed for 3/4 of it's animation?'
Yeah, it's just a bit imbalanced right now. :shrug: Some weapons just get a ton of them, it seems.

With the greatswords it's especially noticeable, since the ones with the "realistic" style moveset get a huge amount, while regular ones get like a couple of frames at best.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Is the shield bash skill on greatshields as useless as it seems at first in PvE? It's unbelievably slow and kick already exists.

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Exodee posted:

Yeah, it's just a bit imbalanced right now. :shrug: Some weapons just get a ton of them, it seems.

With the greatswords it's especially noticeable, since the ones with the "realistic" style moveset get a huge amount, while regular ones get like a couple of frames at best.

You could just roll into the swing or back step. It's not imbalanced people are just bad at dealing with it. It's the same as people bitching about rapiers and dark swords. They are fine, just get gud. If you refuse to learn how to deal with weapons all of them are going to be "imbalanced".

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Szcwczuk posted:

You could just roll into the swing or back step. It's not imbalanced people are just bad at dealing with it. It's the same as people bitching about rapiers and dark swords. They are fine, just get gud. If you refuse to learn how to deal with weapons all of them are going to be "imbalanced".

What weapon do you use in pvp

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

mastershakeman posted:

What weapon do you use in pvp

Black knight axe, gundyrs halberd and long sword.

Here's a cool button you can use to deal with the black knight axe:

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Szcwczuk posted:

Nah, I meant imbalanced in that some of the slow weapon types get a whole lot of hyper armor while other weapons that are also slow and deal similar damage get very few. I'm fine with the concept tho

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Thumbtacks posted:

one more to go and i'll have killed everything in the game with a bow

drat. Which bows do you use?

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Exodee posted:

Nah, I meant imbalanced in that some of the slow weapon types get a whole lot of hyper armor while other weapons that are also slow and deal similar damage get very few. I'm fine with the concept tho

Yeah I think hyper armor is general is kinda weird they way they have it now but there's no reason to nerf weapons just fix mechanics they have now.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Szcwczuk posted:

*rolls away from this post and chugs*

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG

Sindai posted:

Is the shield bash skill on greatshields as useless as it seems at first in PvE? It's unbelievably slow and kick already exists.

As far as I know, the only reason the shield bash weapon art exists is to make the player really jealous of the lothric and cathedral knights who get actual, good shield bashes that don't take 5 years to wind up.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Decrepus posted:

*sprints forward and dash attacks u*

Szcwczuk
Dec 20, 2011

I ruin everything

Decrepus posted:

Story of my life here.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

This is great

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So putting Poison on the Warden Twinblades increases both strength and Dex scaling, increases bleed damage, and adds a lot of poison.

That's disgusting and I love it

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I have discovered that you can set fire to the Dancer of the Valley's area if you have her weapons. I love little touches like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvhChW4tdpM I may have set the entire thing on fire. :ohdear:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Deckit posted:

I have discovered that you can set fire to the Dancer of the Valley's area if you have her weapons. I love little touches like this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvhChW4tdpM I may have set the entire thing on fire. :ohdear:

Any form of fire damage works, and you can even do it while Emma is still alive, which is pretty funny.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Alabaster White posted:

Any form of fire damage works, and you can even do it while Emma is still alive, which is pretty funny.

Then I feel appropriately thematic. :colbert: I still love finding cool stuff like this.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

God damnit.

if you're on pc I can drop you one

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Dazzling Addar posted:

As far as I know, the only reason the shield bash weapon art exists is to make the player really jealous of the lothric and cathedral knights who get actual, good shield bashes that don't take 5 years to wind up.
In that case it is highly effective.

Guess I'll go with a weapon skill greatshield and light armor since I just learned from this thread poise does nothing either.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Just got a guy I invaded in the Catacombs. I assume the bridge at the end is too long for him to see me with the Obscuring Ring, and I cut the ropes when he got halfway and kept him stunned until we both fell. :ninja:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

argondamn posted:

Only really tried it in pve but the Hollowslayer GS felt fantastic as far as hyper-armor goes.

Yeah I forgot that particular moveset - only the Hollowslayer and Drakeblood GS have it as far as I am aware.

HnK416 posted:

So putting Poison on the Warden Twinblades increases both strength and Dex scaling, increases bleed damage, and adds a lot of poison.

That's disgusting and I love it

Does the scaling actually go up or is it one of those "scaling increases, base damage decreases so actual scaling still goes down" things?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
e: This isn't the Stellaris thread!

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I know I shouldn't really be using the cathedral knight greatsword because you could write a frickin' novella in the time it takes to swing it, but I just love it. Looks awesome and deals strike damage which only a tiny amount of enemies are strong against. And ~550 physical damage plus another ~100 with great magic weapon isn't anything to sneeze at.

Thanks for the heads up. Somehow I overlooked this sword. From what I can tell, it's like a better version of the Fume Ultra. I also believe that strike damage is better at staggering NPCs, but I could be wrong.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

RabidWeasel posted:

Does the scaling actually go up or is it one of those "scaling increases, base damage decreases so actual scaling still goes down" things?

I lose a grand total of 4 points of scaling damage from the infusion but the ratings do increase. I'm at 13/18 Str/Dex so the damage loss is probably coming from that.

Regardless, it has Bleed and Poison now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah I forgot that particular moveset - only the Hollowslayer and Drakeblood GS have it as far as I am aware.
I haven't used them, but if I had to guess I'd say it's the dark souls two moveset since those two are the only greatswords from dark souls two that they carried over as far as I'm aware of.