Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maelstache
Feb 25, 2013

gOTTA gO fAST

Fish Of Doom posted:

I saw this at the local comic store the other day.

I can't understand the anatomy of that elbow even if it's exaggerated. There's no way his right arm is as big and meaty as the left one if it's completely hidden from that angle.

He's got some kind of Trogdor situation going on there with that one beefy arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DigitalRaven posted:

When did Fixer stop being black?

When was Fixer black?

A better question is when was he freed from the reality saving time loop he was consigned to after murdering his younger self?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I don't remember Fixer ever being black, but he was never exactly white either.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was going to comment that those handguns actually look like real existing guns, unlike Liefeld, until I realized his fingers would get stuck in the tiny, tiny trigger guards. (Also, no triggers.)

The way they're slightly too long, slightly too rectangular and much taller than they are wide just screams Liefeld to me.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 5, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lurdiak posted:

I don't remember Fixer ever being black, but he was never exactly white either.

The way they're slightly too long, slightly too rectangular and much taller than they are wide just screams Liefeld to me.

I forgot how everyone Liefeld draws has 10% Asian ethnicity.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It doesn't look like modern Liefeld so much as someone who grew up really thinking his art was the poo poo.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Malin has done most of his work on Liefeld titles and characters, it's probably muscle memory by this point.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I was going to comment that those handguns actually look like real existing guns, unlike Liefeld, until I realized his fingers would get stuck in the tiny, tiny trigger guards. (Also, no triggers.)

They look like some sort of awful long-slide hi-points, which would explain the usual Liefeld practice of drawing cracks all over the slide.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rhyno posted:

When was Fixer black?

Always saw him as black based on depictions like that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

With a name like Paul Norbert Ebersol and a first appearance like this:

And the fact that when he had hair it wasn't curly at all:

And the fact that he's been depicted as white in cartoons:

I don't think he's ever been supposed to be black. I wouldn't be surprised if his look in Thunderbolts was meant to depict him as having some sort of arabic, indian or south american heritage(much like how the DCAU Batman made some of the cast more racially diverse), but even that isn't really a guarantee, since he looks pretty much like a bald white guy with a goatee most of the time.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Fair enough. I've not read a lot of stuff with Fixer in, so.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Now Mach 3, he was black.

.... For like a month.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Castle Radium posted:

He's got some kind of Trogdor situation going on there with that one beefy arm.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Scaramouche posted:

RE: Thunderbolts #1

Is "Jon Malin" a pseudonym for Rob Liefeld?

It gets worse inside. That open-mouthed yell Techno is doing? It appears at least three other times in the issue itself.

EDIT-Note how every character has some kind of shoulder pad/cover to prevent viewers from seeing how the arm and shoulder connect, a classic Liefeld weakness

There's a lot poo poo wrong with this but one thing that always bothers me about any illustration, and comic drawings in general, is the lack of varying line weight around the objects. I aways think he worst illustrations rely too heavily on outlines anyway but if you're going to go that route, vary them up a bit.

It adds mass, weight, form and depth to the drawing. The best inkers know this.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Lurdiak posted:

Now Mach 3, he was black.

.... For like a month.

Did they make him black again in Superior Foes?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

No one can fail at drawing a gun as hard as Liefeld. Sure, they're wrong in the same direction, sure, but it's clear that Malin has actually seen a gun before. Maybe touched one, once!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No one can fail at drawing a gun as hard as Liefeld. Sure, they're wrong in the same direction, sure, but it's clear that Malin has actually seen a gun before. Maybe touched one, once!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

oh my god

Things Liefeld has also never seen in person: men, women, kids, katanas, backpacks, feet, teeth

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011

I really don't get how anyone could produce this piece and think, "hey, it's good enough work to go to mass market bearing my name".

I dabbled in doing some illustration work at a few points in my life, but I realized, each time, that while I can draw well enough to entertain myself/enjoy what I'm doing, no one else really wants to see my work--this isn't some sadbrains bullshit or self-pity, I don't think, it's just self-awareness.

I honestly don't understand how this dude has been cranking out sub-DeviantArt work for how many decades now and still being put on covers, let alone interiors. This poo poo cannot improve the marketability of any book.

So whose rear end does he know how to kiss? Or kick? Basically, how is this still happening?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I've said this before, it literally does not matter how Rob Liefeld draws anymore, he is a Big Name Guy, even if he's mostly being made fun of online, everybody is still talking about him. People are probably buying this stuff just to post it online on another fuckin' 25 WORST LIEFELD ART FAILS clickbait article but he's still selling books and he's still a big name.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Doesn't he also pump out pages pretty fast too?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
It doesn't fit the setting at all. Why are the walkers naked and buff? They look like the vampires out of The Strain. Is that meant to be Rick Grimes? What is he looking at - the action is behind him?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
Fallen Rib
I refuse to believe that the kid accidentally blowing away the zombies head wasn't done on purpose for comedic value.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I love this picture so much. There's so much to unpack here. But if I had to pick a favourite part, it's that Carl (I hope that's the third character here because I guess it could be Glenn too, like I said, a lot to unpack) looks to have an unintentional discharge and is utterly surprised that his just went off in his hands.

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Doesn't he also pump out pages pretty fast too?

I thought this too, but I looked it up and he had the same kinds of deadline issues a lot of artists had back then. He wasn't as bad as Joe Mad, but then I don't think anyone else ever got that bad.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ9hjJabvaI

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

oh my god

Things Liefeld has also never seen in person: men, women, kids, katanas, backpacks, feet, teeth

Guns, perspective.

Buckets
Apr 10, 2009

...THE CHILD...
It's weird he decided to cover a quarter of the central characters face with his gun. That seems like it would be a faux-pas when putting together an action cover like this.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Madkal posted:

I refuse to believe that the kid accidentally blowing away the zombies head wasn't done on purpose for comedic value.

I think you can really tell the gun was an afterthought in this one.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

What's up with the second sword, is it just a tiny dagger or does it sort of fade into nothingness where the title is?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think you can really tell the gun was an afterthought in this one.

Space The Negative Zone is filled with turds

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've also just noticed Franklin Richards's arms on that page. Kid must do a bit more lifting than the average nine-year old.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
liefield is good and charming because he draws like an overexcited twelve year old and i'm glad he gets paid for it

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
i love the captain america, i love it all

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Avshalom posted:

liefield is good and charming because he draws like an overexcited twelve year old and i'm glad he gets paid for it

it's the same appeal as Hideo Kojima's writing

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Toadstrieb posted:

I really don't get how anyone could produce this piece and think, "hey, it's good enough work to go to mass market bearing my name".

I dabbled in doing some illustration work at a few points in my life, but I realized, each time, that while I can draw well enough to entertain myself/enjoy what I'm doing, no one else really wants to see my work--this isn't some sadbrains bullshit or self-pity, I don't think, it's just self-awareness.

I honestly don't understand how this dude has been cranking out sub-DeviantArt work for how many decades now and still being put on covers, let alone interiors. This poo poo cannot improve the marketability of any book.

So whose rear end does he know how to kiss? Or kick? Basically, how is this still happening?

Liefeld's a name, he's created a few notable characters, and he's more or less consistent as an artist and creator. Sure, his art is not good, but it sells, and you can reasonably expect him to finish a project on time.

It also probably helps that unlike other names, Liefeld isn't hard to get.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Avshalom posted:

Alaois posted:

it's the same appeal as Hideo Kojima's writing

These are both very accurate statements.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Avshalom posted:

https://youtu.be/54_ZPy8feyA

Edit:I'm a failure at phone posting

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avshalom posted:

Whatever one thinks of him as a writer and artist, my impression is that there's few people even in the industry who love comics more than he does.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

The sets a

Wheat Loaf posted:

Whatever one thinks of him as a writer and artist, my impression is that there's few people even in the industry who love comics more than he does.

9 year old me though X-FORCE number 1 was the coolest poo poo I had ever seen.
He still has a special place in my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I've also heard he's a really cool and nice dude to hang out with, unlike a lot of talent we hear about in the industry. :unsmith: