Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

OK just to clarify, this is the join by joaoapps, not the one by logmein?
Yep, about the third screen I got in the setup process. Clicking the suggestion takes me to the Accessibility page somewhere under the phone's Settings.

E:

KICK BAMA KICK fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yes, Join by Joaoapps.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Cardboard Box A posted:

Yes

eviljimmy
Nov 16, 2006

It's time for people to stop thinking they are entitled to everything and work for it
So for desktop emulation (A phone size window on the desktop) there is basically bluestacks or Andy both of which don't allow custom launchers or pile crapware in and both run Lollipop. Is there nothing that runs marshmallow and is basic android that you can use any launcher on?

Seems like a decent experience for $15 would rake it in...

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yep, about the third screen I got in the setup process. Clicking the suggestion takes me to the Accessibility page somewhere under the phone's Settings.

Join never asked me to turn that on, and it's working fine. I don't get the same dialog on my Nexus 6P, with device encryption turned on and fingerprint as my unlock method. Not hugely helpful, but try it without giving it accessibility?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I may just be missing it amongst the multiple dozens of menu options and submenus, but is there a way to disable swipe-to-turn-page in Perfect Viewer? Their website is...less than helpful, and I want to read some comics I've purchased on my phone, but I want to make the pages bigger. Doing so results in going to the next page as I move around the page I'm on if even a single pixel of the next page is dragged onscreen, so I'd rather just have the "tap right side of screen to go next, tap left to go back" if I can, rather than both that and the swiping.

I've figured out every other thing I've wanted to change in it, but this one thing evades me.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Apr 28, 2016

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years
Anyone recommend a app that turns your phone into an IP camera? I tried a couple and they all seemed to have a really crappy picture and single-digit framerates. Would like to find some thing that does at least 720p capture and 15fps

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
What's the hive mind preferred adblocker for Android/chrome?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

For chrome your only option is AdAway with root

Without root you'll need to use a different browser

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Bah. Oh well

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

tarbrush posted:

Use Firefox mobile instead, because it actually has extensions, including ublock origin.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I'd consider Firefox if they could get scrolling working right, but as it stands it isn't usable for me.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away
Yeah Firefox is great for add on support but Chrome is still faster. I wish Google would implement add on support for mobile chrome but I guess we will never see that as it would cost them too much of that sweet ad money.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I posted in here a while ago asking for a vnc style app, but we still cant get one working. Maybe because our app is built in unity?
Anyone here familiar with mirroring a unity app to another phone, or even just a piece of reference text that can say where someone is in it? /how difficult it is.
I also have a few other questions for any seasoned developers, namely:

How difficult is it to auto update unsigned apk's over wifi - and what do we need to use to host the apk files for this to happen? Our idea for the frontend website was a simple wordpress login/database template that links to a google drive.
by the end of this year I see us having up to 100 users, who can choose from around 50 apk files to keep on their phone of various presentations that they swap in and out of as they please. We're going to recommend that they back the installers up rather than delete outright (file sizes range from 2-500mb each), so it'd need to auto update if someone installs from an old one - or wipe clean should it not be relevant anymore.
kind of like a private app store, but hopefully not as expensive as that collection of words makes it sound.

There's another thing we were thinking about - how possible is it to automatically generate an app that acts as a front end for these apk files? The idea being they'd go on our website and pick 5 of these presentations, name it, then get a link to download an app which when started is just a launcher for the 5 presentations. it would need to check that they already exist on the phone and make note of it, but it would provide a very clean way to show these without the user having to spend time sorting through apps moving them in and out of folders constantly.

We do want to hire a coder to handle these as they're a little bit above our area of expertise. Would appreciate an idea of how difficult these things are, how long they'd take and how much it would cost a coder to get them running. If anyone here is or knows someone that could knock the first ones out easily then we've got a budget to get those done straight away. I figure the first 2 might be a little easier and the third is a little more involved (plus might need a reworking of the website?)
I didn't post this in the straight up hiring a developer part because I guess what i'm after most is an understanding of what we're asking.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

cubicle gangster posted:

I posted in here a while ago asking for a vnc style app, but we still cant get one working. Maybe because our app is built in unity?
Anyone here familiar with mirroring a unity app to another phone, or even just a piece of reference text that can say where someone is in it? /how difficult it is.
I also have a few other questions for any seasoned developers, namely:

How difficult is it to auto update unsigned apk's over wifi - and what do we need to use to host the apk files for this to happen? Our idea for the frontend website was a simple wordpress login/database template that links to a google drive.
by the end of this year I see us having up to 100 users, who can choose from around 50 apk files to keep on their phone of various presentations that they swap in and out of as they please. We're going to recommend that they back the installers up rather than delete outright (file sizes range from 2-500mb each), so it'd need to auto update if someone installs from an old one - or wipe clean should it not be relevant anymore.
kind of like a private app store, but hopefully not as expensive as that collection of words makes it sound.

There's another thing we were thinking about - how possible is it to automatically generate an app that acts as a front end for these apk files? The idea being they'd go on our website and pick 5 of these presentations, name it, then get a link to download an app which when started is just a launcher for the 5 presentations. it would need to check that they already exist on the phone and make note of it, but it would provide a very clean way to show these without the user having to spend time sorting through apps moving them in and out of folders constantly.

We do want to hire a coder to handle these as they're a little bit above our area of expertise. Would appreciate an idea of how difficult these things are, how long they'd take and how much it would cost a coder to get them running. If anyone here is or knows someone that could knock the first ones out easily then we've got a budget to get those done straight away. I figure the first 2 might be a little easier and the third is a little more involved (plus might need a reworking of the website?)
I didn't post this in the straight up hiring a developer part because I guess what i'm after most is an understanding of what we're asking.

This isn't really the thread for this. You should try this one.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Thanks!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody know of an app that will allow me to automatically text a certain number at a certain time every day, preferably with some way to tell it to only do so when I'm at work? The goal here is to check if the bus is running on schedule.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
IFTTT?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Google Keyboard got a huge update today. Rather than list out all the changes, I'm just going to link to the Reddit discussion about it.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Perfect!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Google Keyboard got a huge update today. Rather than list out all the changes, I'm just going to link to the Reddit discussion about it.

This is really nice so far. The cursor gestures are great. Might finally make me give up Swype.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

tarbrush posted:

It is possible to block ads without root by using a VPN controlled by an app. I've been using AdGuard with great success. Of course it costs money, but they are currently having a sale until the 4th.

There are also firewall apps, but they seemed a bit more complicated to set up when tried them last year.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Super specific app request: I'm absolute poo poo with keeping up with TV shows since I'm barely ever in a good position to watch them live (almost always watching them when they go up on demand), which wouldn't be too much of a problem if I didn't also have a problem with knowing when they even air. Is there an app or a website or some sort of service where I can just plug in a bunch of shows I'm interested in and it'll notify me when the next airing is? I'd just set up a recurring notification if some of the shows I'm interested didn't have an absolutely ridiculous schedule (Person of Interest and Steven Universe, particularly).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tvgm2 posted:

It is possible to block ads without root by using a VPN controlled by an app. I've been using AdGuard with great success. Of course it costs money, but they are currently having a sale until the 4th.

I'm not sure I'd trust routing all my traffic through a third party.

Mogomra posted:

This is really nice so far. The cursor gestures are great. Might finally make me give up Swype.

It added two things that have kept me on Swype, namely symbols on the keys accessible via longpress and quick access to the number pad. My only other pet Swype feature is swiping above the keyboard to capitalize but given that Swype is two emoji versions back I think I'm going to switch now.

I kind of miss the word suggestion hovering where you're swiping (that was so much easier to see than the suggestion bar) but now it's so good.

fluppet
Feb 10, 2009
No idea about apps bit https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/ used to allow you to generate a calendar feed for shows

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

flatluigi posted:

Super specific app request: I'm absolute poo poo with keeping up with TV shows since I'm barely ever in a good position to watch them live (almost always watching them when they go up on demand), which wouldn't be too much of a problem if I didn't also have a problem with knowing when they even air. Is there an app or a website or some sort of service where I can just plug in a bunch of shows I'm interested in and it'll notify me when the next airing is? I'd just set up a recurring notification if some of the shows I'm interested didn't have an absolutely ridiculous schedule (Person of Interest and Steven Universe, particularly).

SeriesGuide.

devilwu
Feb 4, 2015

flatluigi posted:

TVShow Time : website + app

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

fluppet posted:

No idea about apps bit https://www.pogdesign.co.uk/cat/ used to allow you to generate a calendar feed for shows

Personally, I use tvmaze.com, and subscribe to the iCal feed it generates on the profile page with Google Calendar.

I miss Google Now being able to do that, but Google Now hasn't done anything with TV for awhile now. I can't even get the "Listen to TV" command to work any more.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

maltesh posted:

I miss Google Now being able to do that, but Google Now hasn't done anything with TV for awhile now. I can't even get the "Listen to TV" command to work any more.

Yeah, what happened there? I still get notifications for shows I don't watch anymore because I dropped cable TV. I can't get them to stop no matter what I do.

On the flip side, I can't set up new notifications for the few shows I do watch...

The iCal thing sounds cool though. I'll try that.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

devilwu posted:

TVShow Time : website + app

Thanks, I just gave this a shot and it seems great.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The one handed keyboard on my Nexus 6 is baller.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Luchadork posted:

I've got the new app and still no podcasts. Flip the fuckin' switch, Google.

They already have...

Hamburger menu. Settings. Tap "Refresh."

The charitable interpretation is that they plan to automatically switch it on for everyone when they're ready, but wanted an opt-in for people who might want to try it earlier.

I have no evidence to support this interpretation.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

maltesh posted:

They already have...

Hamburger menu. Settings. Tap "Refresh."

The charitable interpretation is that they plan to automatically switch it on for everyone when they're ready, but wanted an opt-in for people who might want to try it earlier.

I have no evidence to support this interpretation.

Only available in the US

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Rusty! posted:

Only available in the US

I'm Canadian and see Podcasts in Play Music.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Google now has completely stopped working for me.

For a few days straight my cards and widgets were exactly the same so I trashed the widget and then put it back thinking a refresh might be the answer. Nope.

I still get Google Now Can't be Reached at the Moment... doesnt matter the network Im on. Cell, wifi... nothing.

Any ideas?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Maybe clear Google Play Services' cache? Perhaps go so far as to un-/re-install it's unlisted?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Eikre posted:

Maybe clear Google Play Services' cache? Perhaps go so far as to un-/re-install it's unlisted?

That did not work.

I searched that phrase and it seems like a prevalent issue that hasn't just popped up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

You can now sell your soul for free apps in :denmark:, :norway: and :sweden:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/05/06/google-opinion-rewards-is-now-available-in-denmark-norway-and-sweden/

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

repiv posted:

sell your soul

"Have you ever, or do you plan to forage for truffles?"

Y/N

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers