Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

Notably absent: a release date for the base edition cards.
Makes sense if NVidia are only planning on selling the Founder's Edition directly themselves (and thus can give a solid date), and are leaving their partners to sell the base version at a time and price of their choosing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

DrDork posted:

Makes sense if NVidia are only planning on selling the Founder's Edition directly themselves (and thus can give a solid date), and are leaving their partners to sell the base version at a time and price of their choosing.

IDK though, it also sounds like they are outsourcing the Founder's Edition boards too. They don't start talking about custom boards until the next sentence.

quote:

The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 "Founders Edition" will be available on May 27 for $699. It will be available from ASUS, Colorful, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, MSI, NVIDIA. Palit, PNY and Zotac. Custom boards from partners will vary by region and pricing is expected to start at $599.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Paul MaudDib posted:

IDK though, it also sounds like they are outsourcing the Founder's Edition boards too. They don't start talking about custom boards until the next sentence.
Yeah, clearly they're letting other people produce it, too. I'm just saying that if NVidia themselves are producing a part, they can at least say "we will release it on day X for $Y" and let everyone else go from there.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
Does this mean that the "Founders Edition" is the new Ti?

Psy890 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 8, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Frankly, the way they worded that paragraph is confusing as gently caress

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Psy890 posted:

Does this mean that the "Founders Edition" the new Ti?

It sounds like it's got a high-end blower cooler - not all the aftermarket blower coolers from places like PNY or Asus have a vapor chamber - and it might be binned, although nothing definitive has been stated as of yet.

Personally I think it's a scheme to increase the launch price of the card without appearing to do so. They can launch the Founder's Edition with the limited supply of chips and GDDR5X that they have, at a high price, and then once they've soaked early adopters and the production catches up in a few months they can launch the "base edition" and the launch price will go down the memory hole because that's a totally different card and therefore :words:

I guess we'll see how quick AIBs can get their hands on dies/memory, and whether they respect the base-model pricing or price themselves against the Founder's Edition. Why undercut the price if the base edition only exists on paper? And after all it's not like the AIBs have unlimited quantities of dies/memory either - they'll want to get as much as they can out of early adopters too.

I'm skeptical that they have enough production of dies yet, and GDDR5X has to be in critical shortage right now. Like the first wave of Founder's Edition 1080s might well be using engineering samples of the memory chips. Back in mid-February, Micron said they planned to have engineering samples out in the spring and be in volume production in the summer, so I really question whether NVIDIA has any non-trivial amount of it, particularly production variants.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 8, 2016

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Psy890 posted:

Does this mean that the "Founders Edition" is the new Ti?

No, it's the same as the regular part but they add a few things in order to sell it at a higher price. Not really worth it but I respect the hustle.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

It sounds like it's got a high-end blower cooler - not all the aftermarket blower coolers from places like PNY or Asus have a vapor chamber - and it might be binned, although nothing definitive has been stated as of yet.

Personally I think it's a scheme to increase the launch price of the card without appearing to do so. They can launch the Founder's Edition with the limited supply of chips and GDDR5X that they have, at a high price, and then once they've soaked early adopters and the production catches up in a few months they can launch the "base edition" and the launch price will go down the memory hole because that's a totally different card and therefore :words:

I guess we'll see how quick AIBs can get their hands on dies/memory, and whether they respect the base-model pricing or price themselves against the Founder's Edition. Why undercut the price if the base edition only exists on paper? And after all it's not like the AIBs have unlimited quantities of dies/memory either - they'll want to get as much as they can out of early adopters too.

I'm skeptical that they have enough production of dies yet, and GDDR5X has to be in critical shortage right now. Like the first wave of Founder's Edition 1080s might well be using engineering samples of the memory chips. Back in mid-February, Micron said they planned to have engineering samples out in the spring and be in volume production in the summer, so I really question whether NVIDIA has any non-trivial amount of it, particularly production variants.

I agree, it worked great with the Titan and then follow up Ti two generations in a row, plus it's screwing people who bought EVGA and were thinking they could step up.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I really doubt a "founders edition" will be worth owning lol.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I really doubt a "founders edition" will be worth owning lol.

There's nothing wrong with a blower cooler. Mostly you're just paying extra to be an early adopter though.

I'm currently using a 780 Ti, I'd probably upgrade to a base 1070 - assuming it's competitive with a 980 Ti and can actually be had for the base price. What I really want is a 1080 Ti, but a 1070 probably won't depreciate that much in the meantime.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 8, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I have a hard time believing that Nvidia is just straight up lying about the base price and that they will suddenly jack the price up, that would leave a really bad taste in pretty much everyone's mouth.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I am going to reference this every time I give a talk on why we do dry runs of presentations. Bless you, Tom. Your career sacrifice will help my career, stranger I may be to you.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Apparently Pascal has fine-grained context switching (at the level of individual cores rather than SM units) and good preemption. Scheduling is still software-based but at least if it guesses wrong it can be corrected on the fly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/4iaxx6/private_pascal_architecture_briefing_supposedly/d2wlqck

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/nvidia-pascal-announcement.57763/page-32#post-1912340

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I have a hard time believing that Nvidia is just straight up lying about the base price and that they will suddenly jack the price up, that would leave a really bad taste in pretty much everyone's mouth.

Well, they didn't lie. They said the Founder's Edition would be priced at $699 and would be the one that is initially available. At some future point they will release a lower-priced edition. Technically correct, the most profitable kind of correct.

Jen-Hsun Huang is about to make you his bitch. Suck it down.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 8, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I really hope the software scheduler is actually only for GP104, because if there's no hardware scheduler for GP100 then how does all of that compute even work :psyduck:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apparently Pascal has fine-grained context switching (at the level of individual cores rather than SM units) and good preemption. Scheduling is still software-based but at least if it guesses wrong it can be corrected on the fly.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/4iaxx6/private_pascal_architecture_briefing_supposedly/d2wlqck

https://forum.beyond3d.com/threads/nvidia-pascal-announcement.57763/page-32#post-1912340

Well, they didn't lie. They said the Founder's Edition would be priced at $699 and would be the one that is initially available. At some future point they will release a lower-priced edition. Technically correct, the most profitable kind of correct.

Jen-Hsun Huang is about to make you his bitch. Suck it down.

Oh, I took the bit of your post about the launch price being memory-holed in reference to the lower price, i.e. that the founders edition price will become the only price and that the $599/$379 price points were just lies on Nvidia's part.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah I think that'd be pretty silly. Especially given that the $380 price point is what everyone is pointing to as one of the big :wow: moments of the presentation. If they only ever sold a $450 card, or at least sold that for any massively long period of time, they'd be leaving themselves pretty wide open for AMD to step in and claim that sub-$400 spot.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Why is the talk about vapor chambers for the reference blower cooler a new thing? The Vapor Chamber Blower Reference Design has been the same since the 690. It is a really good design and the newest one really only looks like they redesigned the outer shroud to make it more, angular. Whatever the "Founders Edition" is it is probably some special binned, Referenced OC'ed model, or something like a MARS card of past generations.

The fact that it might be available in May tempts me to no end. The 980Ti runs VR quite well currently, but man, if the performance numbers are to be trusted, being able to truly play Elite Dangerous at 90FPS solid even on planets with a 1080 (even before the new TI arrives) is tempting as all hell. :shepspends:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Oh, I took the bit of your post about the launch price being memory-holed in reference to the lower price, i.e. that the founders edition price will become the only price and that the $599/$379 price points were just lies on Nvidia's part.

What I meant is that in those retrospective price charts we were just discussing, everyone is going to remember the 1080 launching at $600 because that's what it said in the slide, even though the $600 version won't be available until months after the launch.

Furthermore, I think that until a noteworthy quantity of $600 cards are available that AIBs won't feel any pressure to compete with a product that doesn't exist. If the card is launching at $700 then that becomes the price comparison point. Would you rather have a blower-cooler version for $700, or an MSI Ultra Lightning Gaming Extreme for $800, or nothing? Those are likely to be your choices for a while, especially given constrained supply of dies and memory.

Once NVIDIA makes a sufficient quantity of $600 base-edition cards available then prices will be dragged downwards to some degree. But again, I don't see any reason the AIBs need to strictly follow the pricing scheme, and historically they haven't. For example, you could either buy a reference Titan X from NVIDIA's store for $1000, or you could buy a reference card from EVGA/etc for $1100+. Same exact card, but NVIDIA doesn't distribute through Newegg or those kinds of places so people had to pay more for it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I was lucky and it turns out I was still in the Amazon return window for my 980 Ti, and I had a legitimate reason too. My G1 Gaming 980 Ti was running far too hot and loud and I'm certain the cooler wasn't making good contact with the GPU. I was thinking of water cooling it so I didn't return it earlier but that makes no sense to do now.

What really sucks on the other hand is my brand new 4K monitor developing a flickering issue outside of the Amazon return/exchange period and needing warranty service. At least my 970 will be adequate for the 1920x1200 monitors it has been powering for the last year.

e: I'll be one of the fools trying to get a founder's edition or whatever is available on day one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EdEddnEddy posted:

Why is the talk about vapor chambers for the reference blower cooler a new thing? The Vapor Chamber Blower Reference Design has been the same since the 690. It is a really good design and the newest one really only looks like they redesigned the outer shroud to make it more, angular. Whatever the "Founders Edition" is it is probably some special binned, Referenced OC'ed model, or something like a MARS card of past generations.

The fact that it might be available in May tempts me to no end. The 980Ti runs VR quite well currently, but man, if the performance numbers are to be trusted, being able to truly play Elite Dangerous at 90FPS solid even on planets with a 1080 (even before the new TI arrives) is tempting as all hell. :shepspends:

Contrary to popular belief the 970 and 980 do not have a vapor chamber, so the return of the vapor chamber is actually somewhat significant here. Not sure about the 980 Ti.

quote:

However in one of the only major deviations from the earlier GTX Titan cooler, at the base NVIDIA has dropped the vapor chamber design for a simpler (and admittedly less effective) heatpipe design that uses a trio of heatpipes to transfer heat from the GPU to the heatsink. In the case of the GTX Titan and other GK110 cards a vapor chamber was deemed necessary due to the GPU’s 250W TDP, but with GM204’s much lower 165W TDP, the advanced performance of the vapor chamber should not be necessary. We would of course like to see a vapor chamber here anyhow, but we admittedly can’t fault NVIDIA for going without it on such a low TDP part.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/8

NVIDIA has also stated that the cooler will be exclusive to the Founders' Edition, but it's anyone's guess what the exact differences in the base edition are at this point.

quote:

Both features come at a price though. The new cooler will only feature on "Founders Edition" cards bought directly from Nvidia.com. The GTX 1080 Founders Edition will retail for $699, with the GTX 1070 Founders Edition costing $449. Those after the lower priced cards will have to look to partners like MSI and ASUS, which will use their own cooler designs.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/05/nvidia-gtx-1080-1070-pascal-specs-pricing-revealed/

edit: And yeah actually if NVIDIA isn't making any $600 cards themselves then I don't think the AIBs have any reason to play ball with that price. People will pay more for an open cooler than a blower cooler. NVIDIA can announce that their partners will be selling them for five bucks each and throwing in a free BJ, but that doesn't actually make it so. Sooner or later the prices will drop that far, but not on launch.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 8, 2016

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I like the blowers because I have a Silverstone 90° rotated mobo case, my air comes in the bottom and comes out the top.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is a vapor chamber like what is on a 212 cpu cooler?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Fauxtool posted:

is a vapor chamber like what is on a 212 cpu cooler?

Nah, the 212 uses heat pipes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

galahan posted:

I like the blowers because I have a Silverstone 90° rotated mobo case, my air comes in the bottom and comes out the top.

In your case, yeah, anything that blows air that direction is probably best, yes.

That said, jesus gently caress, I can't find a goddamn FT03 anywhere that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg. Does Silverstone even still make the drat things? I mean, for the price of one of those things, it's really hard to not just say, "Hey, I'm just going to save $100 and get me a Define S instead and probably do just as well and maybe better acoustics while I'm at it."

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 8, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Again, if a Founder's Edition came with a five-year nVidia warranty and a guaranteed ASIC floor, it'd be worth the upcharge. I was a day-one purchaser of the 970, and I should've held onto my eVGA with the ACX 1.0 - it gave me the least trouble.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm really just looking for one that comes with the quietest cooler. I've realised that a quibbling over an OC of 5-10 hz means nothing in real terms.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I just realized the Founders edition is a nasty gently caress you to people trying to continually flip cards to stay current. Oof. I'm real glad I didn't decide to continually have a top end NV card. Hopefully big Vega ages well (it won't, it'll devalue just like the 980 Ti is, but hopefully I don't end up selling it before its value tanks and get stuck with no card or paying an extra hundred).

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
So this may be sort of a dumb question, but how does a "boost clock" work anyway? I have a special version of the GTX 980 Ti and the base clock on it is 1202 Mhz, but if I enable KBoost (forces card to operate at full boost speed) in EVGA's Precision X16 control panel, I see that it can go up to ~1450 Mhz without any overclocking. When I'm just playing a game like Shadow Warrior 2013 or GTA V, I notice that the card almost always sits at the base clock of 1202 Mhz...but I've also got VSync enabled to hold things at 60 FPS and that's usually where the framerate usually sits. I assume that the card would kick things up a notch if it started having trouble rendering things, but how does it figure out when to boost the clock?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What's the estimated 1070 Performance? Is this on-par with the 980ti?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Tab8715 posted:

What's the estimated 1070 Performance? Is this on-par with the 980ti?
If the small 970/980 performance gap is anything to go by, then it will blow the 980Ti away.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

I just realized the Founders edition is a nasty gently caress you to people trying to continually flip cards to stay current. Oof. I'm real glad I didn't decide to continually have a top end NV card. Hopefully big Vega ages well (it won't, it'll devalue just like the 980 Ti is, but hopefully I don't end up selling it before its value tanks and get stuck with no card or paying an extra hundred).

How so?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm just hoping that AMD will push out a Polaris card that can go toe to toe with the 1070, just cheaper. If that happens, I'm thrilled.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Awful app edits instead of making a new post and ate my post, but I found techpowerup benchmarks for 2560x1600 max Witcher 3:
980ti 51fps
980 40fps

And used the 70% difference reported on the official 1080 page to calculate a speculative 68fps for the 1080 in the same benchmark and a 28.57% percent difference between the 1080 and 980ti on that Witcher bench.

Hmm, so at 3440x1440 one could probably expect an fps of around 50? And I wonder if that's with hairworks maxed out too.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Gonkish posted:

I'm just hoping that AMD will push out a Polaris card that can go toe to toe with the 1070, just cheaper. If that happens, I'm thrilled.

Right? Everyone's pumped about these new NVIDIA cards, myself included; but I'd definitely wait to see AMD's response before spending any cash, even if it only pushes the green team's cards down in price.

Dante
Feb 8, 2003

I was planning on buying a laptop with a 970M, is it worth waiting until july/august and see if there's a more powerful laptop GPU on the market for roughly the same price?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

td4guy posted:

If the small 970/980 performance gap is anything to go by, then it will blow the 980Ti away.

Furthermore, nVidia has a pretty valid reason not to foist another 'oh, by the way' situation on 1070 owners this time, so don't expect a another '3.5+0.5' situation. I honestly think the only difference between the 1070 and 1080 will be a slightly gimped chip, lower clocks, and GDDR5 vs. GDDR5X.

It honestly wouldn't shock me if the 1080Ti gets 12GB of GDDR5X, and the Titan SKU is what will get 16GB of HBM2 for a sickeningly high price in the neighborhood of $1799, simply so nVidia can say "IT'S UNDER $2K!!!!"

Dante posted:

I was planning on buying a laptop with a 970M, is it worth waiting until july/august and see if there's a more powerful laptop GPU on the market for roughly the same price?

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpus-geforce-mobility-june-2016/

WCCFT (and that link being two months old) aside, the highest-end mobile Pascal SKUs will undoubtedly launch first, and they'll probably just rebadge and goose slightly more performance out of Maxwell up to the 1060M level. Probably 1080Ms only at first to sucker in the 'gotta have its.' Don't take my word for it, though, I don't have an uncle who works at Nintendo.

But something tells me nVidia's more focused on GP100, keeping the Enthusiast and Quadro Pascal cards in 'second place,' with their mobile GPUs bringing up the Bronze. I wouldn't hold my breath, but who knows what'll come out at Computex.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:54 on May 8, 2016

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Dante posted:

AMD is aiming for just that segment with Polaris, and they announced to have mobile out before the back-to-school U.S. thing.
Keep an eye out for the R9 M490. If M480 is based on small Polaris it's gonna be a lot weaker, and anything below that is rebrands.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

This guy tweeted that the embargo for the Pascal architecture details and GTX 1080 reviews ends on the 17th, then deleted it.

He said 1080 specifically, so presumably the 1070 reviews are coming later.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

xthetenth posted:

Hopefully big Vega ages well (it won't
Why do you think it wouldn't age well? 14/16nm will probably be around for a while for GPU's and the big feature/API change of DX12/Vulkan will already be accounted for by Vega. If Navi really does turn out to be a PIM (processor in memory) it should be lots faster but that still doesn't mean Vega suddenly will be a bad performer in the games available at the time or in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
So roughly when will these new nvidia cards be widely available while being 15% to 20% cheaper than msrp? Fall? Next Spring?