Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I think she had been beaten and the upper half of her face was unrecognizable, but she had perfect teeth and distinctive jewelry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Good times :c

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

The Railroad Killer

quote:

Reséndiz killed as many as 15 people[6] with rocks, a pick axe, and other blunt objects, mainly in their homes. After each murder, he would linger in the homes for a while, mainly to eat; he took sentimental things and laid out the victims' driver's licenses to learn a bit about the lives he had taken.

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 11:18 on May 6, 2016

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
Can someone link me to the story of the grown woman who was convinced she was 15? I remember reading about it on this thread, but didn't bookmark and now can't find it. I remember her picture in the article had her in pigtails and overalls, her signature look.

Googling brings up all other weird stories but not that one.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hasn't there been several women caught trying to enroll in high school in their twenties?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Lullabee posted:

Can someone link me to the story of the grown woman who was convinced she was 15? I remember reading about it on this thread, but didn't bookmark and now can't find it. I remember her picture in the article had her in pigtails and overalls, her signature look.

Googling brings up all other weird stories but not that one.

Are you talking about this this story?

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive

whiteyfats posted:

Hasn't there been several women caught trying to enroll in high school in their twenties?

Yes, that's why I was having issues finding it lol.

Madkal posted:

Yes, thank you!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madkal posted:

Jesus. :staredog:

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Madkal posted:

Dang. I'm really curious if there's been any followup on this, considering that was almost 15 years ago now.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
Same thing (with a grown woman going to high school) happened where I live a couple years ago.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

catlord posted:

Yeah, that was a pretty bad season. My grandparents' house was one hill away from the Butte fire and was even used as an outpost by firefighters. They left on a trip literally the day before the fire got really bad and there was a real worry that the house would be gone when they got back.

hehehe Butt Fire

Stairs
Oct 13, 2004

Madkal posted:

Holy poo poo, her family are die-in-a-house-fire lovely.

The sisters KNEW she was being molested and did literally nothing? The mother KNEW her daughter was damaged and was bitter because she "turned her back on the family"? They can't use being from a hick town as an excuse, I've got toothless cousins in the Ozarks that would take Uncle Billy to the woodshed over that poo poo.

gently caress every last Throneberry except Treva. I hope she got help.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

quote:

"Was Treva smart?” Treva asked.

“Oh, yes. She loved to read and really enjoyed school activities. She made good grades.”

Another silence. “Did she work hard?” Treva asked.

It was clear that Gentry was now struggling to control her emotions. She would later say that she almost stood up at that moment and leaned across the witness box so that she could wrap her arms around Treva. “She worked very hard,” Gentry said. “She tried hard. Treva was a wonderful young woman.”

“Oh,” said Treva. “Thank you.”
:cry:

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Madkal posted:

Tags: Sports, Murder

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
It's such a sad and heartbreaking story that when I got to the bit where's she representing herself (and rather competently!) in court I just burst out laughing. “Objection, relevance,” indeed.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Stairs posted:

Holy poo poo, her family are die-in-a-house-fire lovely.

The sisters KNEW she was being molested and did literally nothing? The mother KNEW her daughter was damaged and was bitter because she "turned her back on the family"? They can't use being from a hick town as an excuse, I've got toothless cousins in the Ozarks that would take Uncle Billy to the woodshed over that poo poo.

Uh. Did you miss the part where the other daughters were also molested? That kind of also seriously fucks you up, and it's well known CSA survivors often are afraid to report it. [spoilers contain graphic descriptions of molestation btw.]

quote:

Each of the sisters asked Treva what was bothering her, but the truth was that they didn’t really need to be told. They knew why Treva didn’t want to return to that house. They knew what she had endured there—because they had endured it themselves. When they were children, they too had lain awake in their own beds at night, praying that he would not come to touch them.

“He” was not their dad. “He” was their father’s older brother, Uncle Billy Ray. He was a Vietnam veteran, divorced and a heavy drinker, and he often stayed at the Throneberry home. Sometimes he’d ask one of the girls if she wanted to go with him to the store. “Go on,” their dad would say. He adored his older brother. “Let Billy Ray buy you something nice.”

According to the statements that Carlene, Kim, and Sue would give years later, long after Billy Ray had died, they didn’t just receive cute presents from their uncle. On the nights that he stayed at their home, he’d slip out of his bed and tiptoe to where his nieces were sleeping, moving from one bed to another, running his hands restlessly, endlessly, over their bellies, thighs, and bottoms. He’d put his hands up their shirts to feel their undeveloped breasts, and he’d put them down their panties to feel between their legs. His breathing would get faster and faster. “Keep your mouth shut,” he’d say, his breath stinking with liquor. Sometimes, he’d grab them for just a few seconds; other times, for minutes. No matter how long it lasted, the girls would shut their eyes, their teeth clenched, and they would make no sound at all—no scream, not even a whimper.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Stairs posted:

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Wedemeyer posted:

Uh. Did you miss the part where the other daughters were also molested? That kind of also seriously fucks you up, and it's well known CSA survivors often are afraid to report it. [spoilers contain graphic descriptions of molestation btw.]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liCKrHyatVs

Bonapartisan
May 20, 2004

Emperor of France
Creator of the Code Napoleon
Conqueror of the Ziggy Piggy

Dewgy posted:

Dang. I'm really curious if there's been any followup on this, considering that was almost 15 years ago now.

Per her wikipedia page she's living in Tumwater, WA and per the comments section on this article going by a slightly different name and still duping people there as of November 2015, saying she was 28 (she'll be 47 in a few weeks).

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Madkal posted:

This a very sad article but this quote from one of her high school classmates cracked me up.

quote:

But others weren’t so sure about her motives. They were fascinated, for example, that she still couldn’t make an A in algebra despite fifteen years of high school. “It just goes to show you how algebra can really suck,” one girl said.

whiteyfats posted:

Here's another one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1115165/Mother-34-posed-15-year-old-daughter-try-high-school-cheerleading-squad.html

Your Gay Uncle has a new favorite as of 11:30 on May 7, 2016

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a Law and Order:SVU episode based on it, as well. Only saw part of it, but they busted the 30 year old high school student for statutory rape for banging her high school boyfriend.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
So, I'm pretty sure most Goons in the US have heard of Three Mile Island, the reactor meltdown in the 70s that released lots of radioactive coolant into the environment. Three Mile Island ain't got poo poo on the Santa Susana Field Laboratory. Located seven miles from the Canoga Park neighborhood and thirty miles from downtown Los Angeles, there are now 150,000 people within 5 miles of the place, with 500,000 people within 10miles. Four of the ten worst radioactive accidents in American history have occurred there. Initially a rocket fuel testing site, it was later used for nuclear reactor testing, where the experimental nuclear reactors had no containment facilities.

Some highlights from the linked article (all emphasis mine):

:stare: posted:

The Sodium Reactor Experiment-SRE was an experimental nuclear reactor which operated from 1957 to 1964 and was the first commercial power plant in the world to experience a core meltdown. There was a decades-long cover-up by the US Department of Energy. The operation predated environmental regulation, so early disposal techniques are not recorded in detail. Thousands of pounds of sodium coolant from the time of the meltdown are not yet accounted for.

:catstare: posted:

Throughout the years, approximately ten low-power nuclear reactors operated at SSFL, in addition to several "critical facilities": a sodium burn pit in which sodium-coated objects were burned in an open pit; a plutonium fuel fabrication facility; a uranium carbide fuel fabrication facility; and a "Hot Lab". (A Hot Lab is a facility used for remotely cutting up irradiated nuclear fuel.) Irradiated nuclear fuel from other Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) and Department of Energy (DOE) facilities from around the country were shipped to SSFL to be decladded and examined.

The Hot Lab suffered a number of fires involving radioactive materials.

At least four of the ten nuclear reactors suffered accidents: 1) The AE6 reactor experienced a release of fission gases in March 1959. 2) In July 1959, the site suffered a partial nuclear meltdown that has been named "the worst in U.S. history", releasing an undisclosed amount of radioactivity, but thought to be much more than the Three Mile Island disaster in 1979. Another radioactive fire occurred in 1971, involving combustible primary reactor coolant (NaK) contaminated with mixed fission products. The AE6 reactor experienced a release of fission gases in March 1959, the SRE experienced a power excursion and partial meltdown in July 1959; the SNAP8ER in 1964 experienced damage to 80% of its fuel; and the SNAP8DR in 1969 experienced similar damage to one-third of its fuel. 3) The SNAP8ER in 1964 experienced damage to 80% of its fuel. 4) The SNAP8DR in 1969 experienced similar damage to one-third of its fuel.

The reactors located on the grounds of SSFL were considered experimental, and therefore had no containment structures. Reactors and highly radioactive components were housed without the large concrete domes that surround modern power reactors.

Nuclear accidents not enough? Well, how about flagrant disregard for chemical safety?

":dogbutton: posted:

On December 11, 2002, a top Department of Energy (DOE) official, Mike Lopez, described typical clean-up procedures executed by Field Lab employees in the past. Workers would dispose of barrels filled with highly toxic waste by shooting the barrels with rifles so that they would explode and release their contents into the air. It is unclear when this process ended, but for certain did end prior to the 1990s.

On July 26, 1994, two scientists, Otto K. Heiney, 52, of Canoga Park in Chatsworth and Larry A. Pugh, 51, of Thousand Oaks, were killed when the chemicals they were illegally burning in open pits exploded. After a grand jury investigation and FBI raid on the facility, three Rocketdyne officials pleaded guilty in June 2004 to illegally storing explosive materials. The jury deadlocked on the more serious charges related to illegal burning of hazardous waste.

At trial, a retired Rocketdyne mechanic testified as to what he witnessed at the time of the explosion: "I assumed we were burning waste," Lee Wells testified, comparing the process used on July 21 and 26, 1994, to that once used to legally dispose of leftover chemicals at the company's old burn pit. As Heiney poured the chemicals for what would have been the third burn of the day, the blast occurred, Wells said. "[The background noise] was so loud I didn't hear anything ... I felt the blast and I looked down and my shirt was coming apart."

When he realized what had occurred, Wells said, "I felt to see if I was all there ... I knew I was burned but I didn't know how bad." Wells suffered second- and third-degree burns to his face, arms and stomach.

Again, this is taking place near where people live. There is a Jewish kids camp run by Brandeis that borders the place. Yeah.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

So, I'm pretty sure most Goons in the US have heard of Three Mile Island, the reactor meltdown in the 70s that released lots of radioactive coolant into the environment. Three Mile Island ain't got poo poo on the Santa Susana Field Laboratory. Located seven miles from the Canoga Park neighborhood and thirty miles from downtown Los Angeles, there are now 150,000 people within 5 miles of the place, with 500,000 people within 10miles. Four of the ten worst radioactive accidents in American history have occurred there. Initially a rocket fuel testing site, it was later used for nuclear reactor testing, where the experimental nuclear reactors had no containment facilities.

Some highlights from the linked article (all emphasis mine):

Nuclear accidents not enough? Well, how about flagrant disregard for chemical safety?

Again, this is taking place near where people live. There is a Jewish kids camp run by Brandeis that borders the place. Yeah.

Was this the area that the neighborhood in True Detective S2 was based on? I vaguely recall reading something at some point about the show toning down how awful the real area is for the show because it was too cartoonishly over the top supervillian-esue.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

13Pandora13 posted:

Was this the area that the neighborhood in True Detective S2 was based on? I vaguely recall reading something at some point about the show toning down how awful the real area is for the show because it was too cartoonishly over the top supervillian-esue.

Vinci was based on Vernon, a small city in Los Angeles with about 150 actual residents.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-vernon-true-detective-20150619-story.html

It's an industrial shithole where about 6 people ran voter fraud schemes to make millions.

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?
I love nuclear mishaps and the like, so I'm completely shocked I've never heard of Santa Susana. I'm really hoping there's a good documentary on the place out there.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its really weird reading about places that are right next door to me. The lab is essentially right up a hill from my house. Everyone in the area knew about the lab and its still guard posted up today since its been a common thing for people to want to go check it out .

If anyone is interested when finals are over with and Im back home I can swing by and try to get photos from the outside.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

We bought a house In Lexington Ky that was on the stretch of track where he killed the UK student and attempted to kill the girlfriend that was with him. Didn't really know that until they caught him and it was all over the news. That Halloween some kid came dressed in street clothes and we asked him if he was "that serial killer. " kid had no idea who we were talking about and got pretty spooked when we told him about it. Probably not the best story to tell an 11 year old who knocks on your door alone. At night.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

The Worst Bear posted:

I love nuclear mishaps and the like, so I'm completely shocked I've never heard of Santa Susana. I'm really hoping there's a good documentary on the place out there.
I think the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory would be right up your alley. I posted in this thread 2 years ago, so I hope people don't mind the repost

The Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory was a cold war era facility that

quote:

was the site of Lockheed's lab for investigating the feasibility of nuclear aircraft. The site was used for irradiating military equipment, as well as the forest to determine the effect of nuclear war, and its effects on wildlife. The area was closed in 1971 and acquired by the city of Atlanta for a second airport, but its topography was determined to be ill-suited for an airport. Documents explaining what went on at the site remain highly classified, and the entrance to the underground portion of the facility has been buried. The only objects left above ground were the concrete foundations on which the buildings and reactors were placed.
There are a few inaccuracies there, but I'll get to those in a moment.

The heart of the GNAL was a 10MW unshielded reactor that was normally stored submerged in a cooling pond, but was hoisted up into the air to irradiate materials during experiments. Before construction, the intent had been to irradiate aircraft systems to see how well they held up to radiation with the end-goal of developing a nuclear-powered bomber that could remain in flight for weeks to months at a time. By the time the facility was finished, this had been all but dismissed as ridiculously impractical and the facility took on a new purpose: to study the effects of radiation levels that would be present in the aftermath of nuclear war.

A typical test would consist of several steps: The material to be irradiated would be brought into the reactor building on rail cars. Next, everyone on site inside of the "lethal fence," the area in which humans could receive fatal doses of radiation (look for the circle in the woods on this map) would get into the underground safety bunkers (more on these later.) Once the site was clear, the reactor would be brought up to its operating power of 10 megawatts and hoisted out of the pit into the air for the duration of the test, then lowered back into the pit. Once the all-clear was sounded, the rail cars would be moved to an outdoor cool-down area (one of the fenced-off areas still off-limits to this day because of contamination) where they would sit for days or weeks until they were safe to bring into the hot cell (more on this later) and be manipulated, repaired, etc. by robotic tools because they were still too radioactive for people to get near them.

Sometimes, early on, they tested aircraft parts. Other times, they tested various materials, including pine wood that was dubbed "Lockwood" (Lockheed was running the site) which became quite hard and durable, and was used in various applications including flooring at the IAEA headquarters. There were also "biological materials" tested, which is a nice way of saying they exposed live animals and the surrounding forest. Doses of radiation were measured in rads; Wikipedia sources say that a whole body dose of 400 rads will kill the average person, and off the top of my head I think 1000 will kill most animals. Several ten hour tests were conducted, with rodents and birds exposed to a mean whole-body dose of 6000-8000 rads and a peak measured dose of nearly 30,000. Nearby trees lost all of their foliage within a week of the first test.

Then came the big one, a test to simulate the aftermath of a nuclear attack. The reactor was raised and left in the elevated position for a full three weeks. Trees 1000 feet from the reactor absorbed as much as 100,000 rads. Levels at the lethal fence perimeter 3000 feet away were between 500 and 1000 rads, enough to kill a person.

The site was shut down in spring of 1971 and cleanup took just over a year. Most buildings were razed and only the concrete pads left behind, but there are a few still standing. The hot cell and several surrounding structures are still dangerously radioactive due to high levels of cobalt-60 and cesium-137 and won't be safe for demolition for another 30-50 years. The pump house building that supplied cooling water for the reactor is still standing, just a small concrete shack. Some explorers with a very poor sense of self-preservation have cut the double fence and entered the Hot Cell building with a Geiger counter confirming the official story that it's not safe to be there. Trees inside the hot cell area still show signs of radiation damage and mutations. The underground bunkers were gutted but left intact and the entrances buried. Every few years, the exploration bug bites someone and they dig it out. The lower levels are flooded, but there's apparently plenty to see.

Bonster
Mar 3, 2007

Keep rolling, rolling
I like this Texas Monthly article. The twists and turns are amazing. It's also, I think, a good reason to legalize prostitution.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Here's a brief memoir by his sole surviving victim. It's very cheerful.

quote:

Mostly, the attack feels firmly in the past, but there are some things that I can never forget, no matter how much I try – like the sound of that rock hitting Christopher's head.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Bonster posted:

I like this Texas Monthly article. The twists and turns are amazing. It's also, I think, a good reason to legalize prostitution.
A Skip Hollandsworth longform I've never seen before, and it's about a serial killer? Be still my beating heart.

Edit: I just finished reading this, and it is definitely a pro click. I was really impressed at the dedication of these cops to finding out who was hurting prostitutes, and their insistence on taking the cases seriously. You don't always see that attitude from police when it comes to victims like these.

pookel has a new favorite as of 16:06 on May 9, 2016

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Madkal posted:

Carl and his wife, Patsy, were known as good country people. They lived in a small frame home decorated with a photo of John Wayne on one wall and a rug that depicted the Last Supper on another. Carl was a big, lumbering man, a truck driver in the oil fields. He had met Patsy in the early fifties at a soda fountain in Oklahoma, and after a few weeks of courting, they had driven to the A&P supermarket in Wichita Falls, where the butcher, who was also a preacher, had wiped his hands on his apron, pulled out a small pocket Bible, and performed their wedding ceremony out in the A&P parking lot while the couple sat holding hands in the back seat of Carl’s Chevy.

this part is kinda great, devoid of the rest of the story

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
They were fascinated, for example, that she still couldn’t make an A in algebra despite fifteen years of high school. “It just goes to show you how algebra can really suck,” one girl said.

teenagers.txt

The Worst Bear
Jul 25, 2012

Do I look like a reasonable man to you, or a peppermint nightmare?

GWBBQ posted:

I think the Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory would be right up your alley. I posted in this thread 2 years ago, so I hope people don't mind the repost

Georgia Nuclear Aircraft Laboratory

I actually remember this post! The information was just as good then and it's great to read it over again, thank you. It really is amazing to look at that map picture and think about how crazy things would get when it came to testing the effects of nuclear energy and radiation.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

Dewgy posted:

According to

Bonapartisan posted:

per the comments section on this article going by a slightly different name and still duping people there as of November 2015, saying she was 28 (she'll be 47 in a few weeks).

Her new fake name is "Brianna Kenzie." Putting that into Google, I found this picture:

which looks an awful lot like this pic from the article:

the first pic links to https://www.linkedin.com/in/brianna-kenzie-70690529 in Olympia, Washington

To see more info you have to have a LinkedIn account. Sorry if this is too internet detective-y

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

I just wanted to thank everyone who's posted Texas Monthly articles. Every single one I've read in this thread has been amazingly well-written and engaging, and I'm super-impressed with their reporting.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

FourLeaf posted:

According to

Her new fake name is "Brianna Kenzie." Putting that into Google, I found this picture:

the first pic links to https://www.linkedin.com/in/brianna-kenzie-70690529 in Olympia, Washington

To see more info you have to have a LinkedIn account. Sorry if this is too internet detective-y
living the dream

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

FourLeaf posted:

According to

Edit: actual content.

A good rundown on various grown highschool imposters. Some more disgusting than others.

https://swallowingthecamel.me/2010/11/15/fake-teens-part-i-james-hogue/

https://swallowingthecamel.me/2010/11/15/fake-teens-part-ii-brian-mackinnon-and-other-fake-students/

Sarcopenia has a new favorite as of 17:58 on May 12, 2016

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That first one had a pretty good shot at an honest life if he had made it out of Harvard, given that he got in on the strength of his actual grades from being a fake college student. I guess he was paying tuition by stealing poo poo from the lab, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

I'm legitimately surprised they caught this guy. The murders happened all over the place, I'm surprised they were linked together.