Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Did the wife get the pool table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Did the wife get the pool table?

What's the story behind the pool table? I never read the archived thread, all these references are like inside jokes.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Mojo Threepwood posted:

drat, first Caro is found alive and well (?), we've got the triumphant return of Zaurg, and the New York Times is linking to front page posts. What a time to be a goon.

Whoa, Caro's alive?

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nitrox posted:

I never read the archived thread

You really should: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3175682

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

zaurg is probably unknown to non-BFC posters, but to me, he's as classic SA as bigpeeler and p-p-p-powerbook.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Thanks. I have 3 hours and a bottle of bourbon. Let's roll

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Uranium 235 posted:

zaurg is probably unknown to non-BFC posters, but to me, he's as classic SA as bigpeeler and p-p-p-powerbook.
the divorce gif is at least known in e/n and there have been variants made

edit: I feel like I've even seen it on reddit

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 8, 2016

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I bring you a story of governmental BWM.

From 2012 to 2015 the Danish tax service was defrauded of about $1.35 billion.

How did the fraudsters go about doing that?

Well, if you own shares in a Danish company and the company pays you a dividend, you are taxed 27% of the dividend. However, if you don't live in Denmark and has already paid the tax in your home country you can apply to get the 27% refunded from the Danish tax service.

So the fraudsters cunningly made forged documents that made it look like they owned shares and had paid the 27% in Denmark and the appropriate tax in their home country. On at least 2120 separate occasions over 4 years they then applied to have the 27% refunded. The tax service, which has become chronically understaffed in recent years (because digitalization! efficiency! synergy!), merrily approved these applications and paid out the $1.35 billion. They would have been none the wiser if they hadn't finally been tipped off by a foreign government agency.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Nitrox posted:

What's the story behind the pool table? I never read the archived thread, all these references are like inside jokes.

To be honest, spending a weekend reading all the Zaurg threads is what got me motivated to, well, not be like Zaurg.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Per posted:

The tax service, which has become chronically understaffed in recent years (because digitalization! efficiency! synergy!), merrily approved these applications and paid out the $1.35 billion.
Rather I'd say those buzzwords were used simply to make it easier for large fortunes to avoid tax. I mean, if it's anything like what's going on in Spain where it has been made practically impossible to catch a rich person not paying tax.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

I feel much better about my own finances now. I can't guess someones personality from a description of their spending on an internet forum but at least on a financial level, that wife of zaurgs looks like a real... complicated woman.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Dawncloack posted:

Rather I'd say those buzzwords were used simply to make it easier for large fortunes to avoid tax. I mean, if it's anything like what's going on in Spain where it has been made practically impossible to catch a rich person not paying tax.

I don't know, I think this is one of those "Don't attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence" deals.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Whoa, Caro's alive?
Yeah, he just got released, like... a month ago? I think this was him?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

zaurg posted:

bad with money question:

For my entire life I've filed my own tax returns. Mostly been easy. Figured them out with studying IRS docs and using Turbotax. Filing for 2015 was difficult. I had to pay a poo poo load of money to the IRS. I'm considering now, a month later, to consult with an accountant to review and see if I really checked everything and if not do an amendment. Would BFC recommend this? What would it cost on average? IRA early withdrawal, 1 investment property, figuring out just how to file in the first place was a challenge since I divorced in 2016 but married for 100% of 2015 - ex filed married separately so I had to do the same. Crazy rule that when married filing separately you can't get a child care tax credit. Just a lot of new stuff thrown at me.

Wait, so you're still around? Are you still married?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Pillowpants posted:

Wait, so you're still around? Are you still married?
you ought to read the post you quoted

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
ok. I'll make a new thread. Sorry for cluttering up this one.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

christmas in may

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

christmas in may

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Per posted:

I don't know, I think this is one of those "Don't attribute to malice what can be adequately explained by incompetence" deals.

So we have the EC breathing on everybody's neck about the budget deficit, and the media going on and on about the debt crisis, and countries defund their tax services, preventing them from getting tons of money owed in taxes? And all throughout the continent as if it was coordinated from the EU (whose president has been proven to help corporations throuhhout tje continent avoid taxes ?

Incompetence is hard to believe for me at this point.

But enough of this derail. Being in the EU is bad with money.

VV Let me answer by PM so I stop this derail, but to sum up: It's not your tax service being hilariously incompetent, it's the european elites launching a coordinated offensive against them paying taxes.

Dawncloack fucked around with this message at 11:38 on May 9, 2016

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Zaurg rises.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Dawncloack posted:

So we have the EC breathing on everybody's neck about the budget deficit, and the media going on and on about the debt crisis, and countries defund their tax services, preventing them from getting tons of money owed in taxes? And all throughout the continent as if it was coordinated from the EU (whose president has been proven to help corporations throuhhout tje continent avoid taxes ?

Incompetence is hard to believe for me at this point.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Are you suggesting that Juncker has asked succesive Danish governments from both sides of the aisle to torpedo the tax service so that corporations can avoid paying taxes?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Did everyone forget or just aren't aware that zaurg stopped being funny or interesting for about the last entire year when he was still posting?

Womens Jeans
Sep 13, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Where is zaurgs new thread?

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
here

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

He hasn't posted in that thread...

RheaConfused
Jan 22, 2004

I feel the need.
The need... for
:sparkles: :sparkles:

daggerdragon posted:

He hasn't posted in that thread...

Yeah. I mean, I know how zaurg was, and perhaps is. But this might be his chance to start fresh and he might need some actual good advice which he might actually follow! Because he's not in (what I think was, at least) an emotionally abusive relationship anymore. We could give him a chance without just outright making GBS threads on him.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

RheaConfused posted:

Yeah. I mean, I know how zaurg was, and perhaps is. But this might be his chance to start fresh and he might need some actual good advice which he might actually follow! Because he's not in (what I think was, at least) an emotionally abusive relationship anymore. We could give him a chance without just outright making GBS threads on him.

Nah man he'll just find a new partner for his next abusive relationship (goons).

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NancyPants posted:

Nah man he'll just find a new partner for his next abusive relationship (goons).

We're your girlfriend now, zaurg. We're good with money and we'll never leave you :unsmigghh:

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

RheaConfused posted:

It's basically guaranteed that zaurg was the bigger problem in the marriage. Everything we hear is from his POV and he still sounds as much of an rear end in a top hat as his wife. So in reality it's probably just him being a gigantic shitbag.

Anyway his posts are bad now, posts about him about bad now, so this is a bad post, and so is yours.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
His posts have always been bad

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Post the thread zaurg, this is a (divorce) lawyer

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
New Zealand as a nation is still BWM. This time the current Government has passed laws to make the country a tax haven via trusts. Apparently ruining our international reputation nets a mere $24m NZD in fees each year. Of course our trusts are apparently threaded through the Panama Papers and includes an Elvis Impersonator that controls the trusts that have received bribes for access to Iraqi oil.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=11636474

quote:

Jensen, who has advertised his services as an energy healer and was at the time into his second bankruptcy, told the Herald this morning he had no comment on his relationship with Al Jarah or Mossack Fonseca, then hung up. He exited bankruptcy in 2013.

If the US military is looking to get some of the money back that disappeared in Iraq this seems like a great starting place.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
I was going to post this in the schadenfreude thread but then I read the second to last line.

High school art project mistakenly appraised for $50,000 on Antiques Roadshow

Alvin Barr's eyes nearly popped out of his head when his ugly-face pottery jug was appraised on PBS' Antiques Roadshow for $50,000. It was dated to the 19th or early 20th century.

But recently, PBS published a corrected appraisal of $3,000-$5,000 on its website after it was discovered that the jug was not as old as first thought.

"I made it sometime around 1973, or 1974, in high school art class," says Betsy Soule from her home in Oregon.

As Soule tells As it Happens host Carol Off, a friend had seen the "Grotesque Face Jug" episode of the Antiques Roadshow and called Soule to tell her about it. The friend had once owned the jug and mentioned that the "weird pot" Soule had made was on the show.

The pottery jug has six faces on it and according to Antiques Roadshow appraiser, Stephen L. Fletcher, it appeared to be influenced by Spanish sculptor Pablo Picasso.

"It's pretty grotesque. If you put flowers in it they'd probably just wither."

Soule's friend had encouraged her to contact the Antiques Roadshow to make them aware of the error.

"They have to do those appraisals on the fly without that much information. And probably if it really was made in the time period they'd guessed it was made in, I don't know, I think that's pretty outrageous."

The show's staff got in touch and although Soule had no proof the jug was hers, she was able to provide a picture of herself surrounded by similar sculptures in the 1970s. She's amazed that the jug is now appraised at $3,000-$5,000.

"I thought Alvin Barr paid too much for it at $300. He bought it at a barn sale, and it was covered in dirt and chicken manure, but he just really liked it … if I'd known he was that fond of it I probably would've just given it to him."

"Have you gone on to a successful career making works of art and pottery?" asks Off.

"Are you kidding me? No, I'm just a lowly horse trainer and riding instructor," says Soule with a laugh.

Soule muses about returning to pottery one day. But when asked if those jug faces are still in her, Soule cries, "Oh God, I hope not!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I was expecting her to get insulted at them calling her work grotesque until I clicked the link.

Jesus christ

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Dillbag posted:

"Have you gone on to a successful career making works of art and pottery?" asks Off.

"Are you kidding me? No, I'm just a lowly horse trainer and riding instructor," says Soule with a laugh.

Local horse person makes good

Marijuana Nihilist
Aug 27, 2015

by Smythe

Renegret posted:

I was expecting her to get insulted at them calling her work grotesque until I clicked the link.

Jesus christ

It looks like it would eat your soul

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I like it.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Why is art-school pottery from 1973 worth $5000?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Aliquid posted:

Because the guys doing the appraising thought it was something Jesus drank from 2000 years ago.

Then they got corrected on the origins, and believe that Jesus came to 1973 and drank from it.

I got nothin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Aliquid posted:

I think the reappraisal at $5000 is just an attempt to save some sort of face. If they admit it's worth like $50 or whatever, they look even worse than they do now.

• Locked thread