Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rhesus Pieces posted:

This has to be a joke.

I am trying to imagine the Monday morning meeting where the Sleep Country executive that engaged that group shared their findings with rest of the executive leadership.

Everyone nodding sagely while simultaneously wondering if they are the only one wearing any clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Subjunctive posted:

Creating AI isn't some arcane summoning spell that requires all the winds in the Pacific to blow in the same direction while people in every time zone shout words without vowels. It's programming and math, experimentation and testing.

We've known that researchers encode their own biases since the mid-80s, see Diana Forsythe. So yeah, until we as an industry can fix all the poo poo that's wrong, we're going to miss the plot.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

cheese posted:

Legitimately not sure if this was an onion style parody or a real serious report the entire time I was reading it.
It reminds me a lot of the "leaked" Pepsi marketing document from a few years ago.

They go to crazy town, but they do it in a way that confirms everyone's suspicions about the grandiose and self-indulgent way advertisers and their clients think about their products. So people read it and pass it around, to laugh at the grandiosity and self-indulgence. But people are reading and sharing it, so by pretty much any measure, that makes it a marketing success.

So is it an intentional viral campaign? Probably. But the possibility exists that they really are that grandiose and self-indulgent, and all of our suspicions about them are correct. It is Poe's law made real, paid for by corporate America, and available in pdf format.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

It did make sense of what would've otherwise seemed an arbitrary logo change, so I'd call it a success.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

Our own emotions, goals and desires are the result of millions of years of evolution. Either the human creators deliberately include them or come up with some process to develop them or they won't be there in the AI. At the least motions are there own development that won't be emergent automatically from intelligence.

we can't say that for sure without actually understanding why we have emotions in the first place

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Condiv posted:

we can't say that for sure without actually understanding why we have emotions in the first place

That's what emotions are. Evolved behavioral modifiers just like more straightforward pain and pleasure.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Condiv posted:

I can't tell whether your or asdf32's post is stupider. "Either humans include it or create a process to include it" is trivially true of all properties of all programs, since programs don't just spring into reality absent human intervention.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

twodot posted:

programs don't just spring into reality absent human intervention.

Although I have worked with PMs who appear to believe this to be so.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

twodot posted:

I can't tell whether your or asdf32's post is stupider. "Either humans include it or create a process to include it" is trivially true of all properties of all programs, since programs don't just spring into reality absent human intervention.

hmm, i don't seem to recall saying anything about programs bursting forth out of the ether. maybe you should learn to read before you make really obvious statements?

emotions may end up being a necessary property for higher intellegence than what we are capable of creating for computers right now, but we probably won't know for sure until we better understand our own intelligence better

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Although I have worked with PMs who appear to believe this to be so.

I think that's just a thing management in general tends to do. Literally every job I've had has had at least one boss type person whose response to "this job will require more people than we have" is "that isn't my problem. Get it done with what you have."

Hate to break it to you duder but a ten person job needs ten people. Five can probably do it but it will take longer.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

twodot posted:

Actually a lot of what we cal AI is based on learning algorithms of various forms where humans arn't directly in control of a lot of the details. And it's a common trope to imagine AI that breaks out of its intended boundaries typically following human like ambitions for knowledge or power. My point is that those desires don't just spring out. Even in the context of significant "intelligence".

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

asdf32 posted:

Actually a lot of what we cal AI is based on learning algorithms of various forms where humans arn't directly in control of a lot of the details. And it's a common trope to imagine AI that breaks out of its intended boundaries typically following human like ambitions for knowledge or power. My point is that those desires don't just spring out. Even in the context of significant "intelligence".

i think he'd try to argue with you that learning algorithms like neural networks still have to be designed, falling under "process to include it" even though the inclusion of that behavior may be wholly accidental

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Neural networks are also severely limited in what they can learn about. You have to program it specifically to handle a specific sort of thing. A neural network that learns how to win at chess can't suddenly learn to play Counter Strike let alone figure out how to destroy civilization. It's still a stupid machine following a set of instructions.

Neural networks are improving of course but the computing power for actual, meaningful machine sentience just isn't there yet. The difference between a meat brain and a computer brain is huge.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Neural networks are also severely limited in what they can learn about. You have to program it specifically to handle a specific sort of thing. A neural network that learns how to win at chess can't suddenly learn to play Counter Strike let alone figure out how to destroy civilization. It's still a stupid machine following a set of instructions.

Neural networks are improving of course but the computing power for actual, meaningful machine sentience just isn't there yet. The difference between a meat brain and a computer brain is huge.

right, like i mentioned you still have to design them for their purpose (though messing up the design can result in unexpected behavior from the network)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

ToxicSlurpee posted:

A neural network that learns how to win at chess can't suddenly learn to play Counter Strike let alone figure out how to destroy civilization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRLYPiaAoA

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Condiv posted:

hmm, i don't seem to recall saying anything about programs bursting forth out of the ether. maybe you should learn to read before you make really obvious statements?

emotions may end up being a necessary property for higher intellegence than what we are capable of creating for computers right now, but we probably won't know for sure until we better understand our own intelligence better
I figured it out, you are stupider. It's completely irrelevant whether machine intelligence needs emotions (whatever it means for a machine to have emotions in the first place), it's trivially true that whatever emotions it has will be put there by humans or a process started by humans.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

twodot posted:

I figured it out, you are stupider. It's completely irrelevant whether machine intelligence needs emotions (whatever it means for a machine to have emotions in the first place), it's trivially true that whatever emotions it has will be put there by humans or a process started by humans.

so you're just really aggressively dumb then? cause i've never disagreed that humans will build out whatever AI we're talking about. seriously, try learning to read

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Subjunctive posted:

Creating AI isn't some arcane summoning spell that requires all the winds in the Pacific to blow in the same direction while people in every time zone shout words without vowels. It's programming and math, experimentation and testing.

That's why Cyc went live in 1985.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
These slapfights guarantee that you will be the first against the simulated wall after the Singularity hits, so you should probably drop it.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Absurd Alhazred posted:

These slapfights guarantee that you will be the first against the simulated wall after the Singularity hits, so you should probably drop it.

Absurd Alhazred has become self aware! Modnet is happening people!

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Inferior Third Season posted:

It reminds me a lot of the "leaked" Pepsi marketing document from a few years ago.

They go to crazy town, but they do it in a way that confirms everyone's suspicions about the grandiose and self-indulgent way advertisers and their clients think about their products. So people read it and pass it around, to laugh at the grandiosity and self-indulgence. But people are reading and sharing it, so by pretty much any measure, that makes it a marketing success.

So is it an intentional viral campaign? Probably. But the possibility exists that they really are that grandiose and self-indulgent, and all of our suspicions about them are correct. It is Poe's law made real, paid for by corporate America, and available in pdf format.
From what I have seen and heard (and having been inside the offices of a couple of "tech" companies like Airbnb), I'm pretty sure its all exactly serious and scary. Nothing matters but getting big fast. Your size is a reflection of your value (surely!). The company is everything, we will change the world, we are not like other tech companies because your work means something here. Drink the free beer, play Xbox on the big screen, always be at work and always be solving new problems. Everyone wants to work here, you are lucky to be a part of something so world changing, disrupt disrupt disrupt.

Once you add in the near mythical status afforded the founding figureheads at these companies, you are pretty much just a big bowl of Kool-Aid away from a cult. The only real difference is that instead of trying to gain sexual access to young women or sending everyone to join the God Xanadu on his passing comet, these cults are about making MONEY.

A Man With A Plan
Mar 29, 2010
Fallen Rib

cheese posted:

From what I have seen and heard (and having been inside the offices of a couple of "tech" companies like Airbnb), I'm pretty sure its all exactly serious and scary. Nothing matters but getting big fast. Your size is a reflection of your value (surely!). The company is everything, we will change the world, we are not like other tech companies because your work means something here. Drink the free beer, play Xbox on the big screen, always be at work and always be solving new problems. Everyone wants to work here, you are lucky to be a part of something so world changing, disrupt disrupt disrupt.

Once you add in the near mythical status afforded the founding figureheads at these companies, you are pretty much just a big bowl of Kool-Aid away from a cult. The only real difference is that instead of trying to gain sexual access to young women or sending everyone to join the God Xanadu on his passing comet, these cults are about making MONEY.

Elon Musk already 100% has a cult following around him. It seems like every time he takes a crap my facebook is flooded with posts about how he's disrupting the toilet paradigm.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

A Man With A Plan posted:

Elon Musk already 100% has a cult following around him.
I'm one of those wankers that stood in line to preorder the Model 3 (my wife wants one). Right before the doors opened some goober went down the line and said "OK on the count of THREE we're going to chant THANK YOU ELON! THREE times, ok?"

I'm like why the gently caress are we thanking the millionaire dude that didn't design the loving car and poo poo?

The free cookies and water and poo poo were a nice consolation for standing in line though.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

FilthyImp posted:

I'm one of those wankers that stood in line to preorder the Model 3 (my wife wants one). Right before the doors opened some goober went down the line and said "OK on the count of THREE we're going to chant THANK YOU ELON! THREE times, ok?"

Holy poo poo I would have turned around and left at that point.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

FilthyImp posted:

I'm like why the gently caress are we thanking the millionaire dude that didn't design the loving car and poo poo?

The free cookies and water and poo poo were a nice consolation for standing in line though.

Did you thank Him for the cookies at least?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Technically as you eat the cookie it becomes a piece of His Glorious Electric Flesh.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Sorry but I'm a protestant Elonist

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ocrumsprug posted:

Did you thank Him for the cookies at least?

Praise be to Elon. This feast of cookie and coffee is but a share of his clean burning glory.

I guess I should have mentioned the dude was recording on his phone to upload to YouTube or something.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
So Uber and Lyft have threatened to leave the city of Austin unless we adopted a resolution basically saying they get to pick and choose their own regulations. They also spent over $8 million on robocalls and flyers and other ads promoting the resolution. (This is orders of magnitude more than has ever been spent on an Austin city election.)

Today was Election Day and the resolution has failed (and failed big). Before the election both companies promised to cease operations, an Uber specifically said they were stopping on Monday. Now that we've called their bluff we'll see if they follow through. Either way, it'll be interesting to see which company cedes the city of SXSW to its competition.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

e_angst posted:

So Uber and Lyft have threatened to leave the city of Austin unless we adopted a resolution basically saying they get to pick and choose their own regulations. They also spent over $8 million on robocalls and flyers and other ads promoting the resolution. (This is orders of magnitude more than has ever been spent on an Austin city election.)

Today was Election Day and the resolution has failed (and failed big). Before the election both companies promised to cease operations, an Uber specifically said they were stopping on Monday. Now that we've called their bluff we'll see if they follow through. Either way, it'll be interesting to see which company cedes the city of SXSW to its competition.

Lyft put out a statement saying they will "pause" operations on Monday

The regulation causing such a temper tantrum? Fingerprint background checks. One more step in the driver sign up funnel :qq:

nachos fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 8, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Get Me out of Dallas wants to swoop in. I didn't realize Uber pulled out of Corpus Christi and Galveston. If they keep having tantrums and pulling out of cities how do the expect to grow?

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2016/05/three-months-after-uber-leaves-galveston-city.html

Unless, they start bypassing cities and start hitting up state legislatures.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Automatic Slim posted:

Get Me out of Dallas wants to swoop in. I didn't realize Uber pulled out of Corpus Christi and Galveston. If they keep having tantrums and pulling out of cities how do the expect to grow?

They come back after 6 months. They've done it every time a city pushes back.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

duz posted:

They come back after 6 months. They've done it every time a city pushes back.
Screw you guys, I'm goooooin home.
*crickets*
*quietly slinks back into town after a while*

The campaign to drown Uber in regulations basically writes itself.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Uber and Lyft will hit up the legislature next. Plenty of non-Austin politicians talking about how "liberal big government" killed innovation. 56%-44%.

U/L should've used their $8.7 million better and gone the TX Lege first.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is there any sense of how the nation views the gig economy and companies like uber? I imagine approval ratings would be pretty high and I'm surprised this was defeated with such a margin.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

nachos posted:

Is there any sense of how the nation views the gig economy and companies like uber? I imagine approval ratings would be pretty high and I'm surprised this was defeated with such a margin.

At least anecdotally that high approval is among folks uninvolved in political stuff. Like I don't know many folks who do more than vote in presidential elections who are big gig economy boosters.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

They ran a terrible campaign in very highly educated and liberal city. They outspent their opponents 85 to 1. And LOST.

Mailboxes were filled with flyers and mailers and they start texting their app users and that pissed off people more than their the substance of their campaign.

Texans are very apathetic politically. May elections in Austin barely break 5% voter turnout and it went up to 17%.

It's their choice they are deciding to leave and it was their choice to have the issue sent to public referendum in the first place.

Coolness Averted posted:

At least anecdotally that high approval is among folks uninvolved in political stuff. Like I don't know many folks who do more than vote in presidential elections who are big gig economy boosters.

And the people who are more tuned in were the ones who voted against the rideshare regulations.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 8, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Automatic Slim posted:

Uber and Lyft will hit up the legislature next. Plenty of non-Austin politicians talking about how "liberal big government" killed innovation. 56%-44%.

U/L should've used their $8.7 million better and gone the TX Lege first.

No, in Texas you have to go for Austin first. Then when Austin (or some other nest of liberals) passes the exact opposite of what you want, the state leg will reflexively try to pass a law banning cities from doing exactly that, making everything come up in your favor in the end without you having to spend any money at all (see: fracking, plastic bags (unsuccessful), anti-discrimination in housing)

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

No, in Texas you have to go for Austin first. Then when Austin (or some other nest of liberals) passes the exact opposite of what you want, the state leg will reflexively try to pass a law banning cities from doing exactly that, making everything come up in your favor in the end without you having to spend any money at all (see: fracking, plastic bags (unsuccessful), anti-discrimination in housing)

They've already decided they are going to the legislator next. Of course, the legislator doesn't meet again until January 2017, and the earliest any law they pass will only go into effect is January 1, 2018. Or, given Uber's current burn rate, around $1.25 billion in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Why does anyone take Eliezer Yudkowsky seriously? Like, he has no formal training or credentials in anything and his writing reads like the venn center of of autism and narcissism, but people keep giving him money. It does not compute. (LOL, little Silicon Valley humor for you there)