Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Taco bit my nanna.

I laughed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

i love your skittle Tori bird so much :3:

Hungry Computer posted:

I just got a text from my upstairs neighbour (i rent a basement suite) telling me she accidentally let her cat downstairs when going down to flip a breaker, and apparently I left a cage door open. I'm told Garrus and Gillian dive-bombed the cat repeatedly until he ran away, and apparently now the cat is afraid to even go near the basement door. :black101:

I swear I remember closing all the cage doors. I hope they haven't found a way to open it...

Edit:
They were still a bit stressed out when I got home, but otherwise alright.

Awww, luckily they're safe. What brave and handsome lil poofballs :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

schnickety scribe posted:

I think we could trust Gunter and Maestro to maul all attackers (not that I would, because oh my god no, those are my baby birdies D: ). Maestro certainly hates all our guests and Gunter certainly dislikes anyone who isn't jade.

We'll be going away this weekend. This will be the first time they won't be staying with my parents (except for Maestro; he has yet to be away from us since we adopted him). We'll be having a trusted friend checking in on them at the apartment, but I'm still so nervous. What if Maestro gets out? (we'll be putting a padlock on his cage, since he might have gotten out before). What if...some vague thing? :ohdear: We're only three hours away, at most, but we'll be gone for 3-4 days.

I've already purchased new toys and treats and written out all the instructions. Is there anything else I can do to make it easier for them?

I find it's best to pretend everything is normal and go through the regular daily routine before and after, though of course give extra scritches after if they ask for it. Disrupting the schedule because of your feelings of guilt/anxiety only makes it harder on them. I have been guilty of pulling out the bird after her bedtime because I haven't seen her in a week, but I always get a bite for my troubles and then she's a bitch about bedtimes for months after. Just pretend everything is 100% perfectly a-ok even if they act a little weird.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Hey, Literally A Bird:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Sekkira posted:

Hey, Literally A Bird:

forwarding this to my girlfriend...

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Pile of Kittens posted:

I find it's best to pretend everything is normal and go through the regular daily routine before and after, though of course give extra scritches after if they ask for it. Disrupting the schedule because of your feelings of guilt/anxiety only makes it harder on them. I have been guilty of pulling out the bird after her bedtime because I haven't seen her in a week, but I always get a bite for my troubles and then she's a bitch about bedtimes for months after. Just pretend everything is 100% perfectly a-ok even if they act a little weird.

Thank you for your advice, Kittens!

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Sekkira posted:

Hey, Literally A Bird:

I wish I still played enough to justify those :allears:

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today was a beautiful spring day, and a holiday, so I went to a bird park/zoo.

Got to meet & greet some cockatoos:

(I don't know why this bird and its mate had bald spots, didn't get to ask. None of the other birds in the park had any visible problems.)

This white crow allowed me to pet him on the head:

(Didn't get any photos of me petting him, he got bitey when I tried to photograph and pet at the same time.)

And this Australian bastard kept landing on my head to peck and scratch:

They also had a large aviary with lories, where visitors could help with feeding twice a day. I experienced a pair of kookaburras making a crescendo. And they had a show with some hand-raised macaws and cockatoos flying freely outside.

Unfortunately I didn't get to see their Grays. I was told they were nesting, so hopefully they'll have some healthy babies later this year.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

oh man I wish there were a bird park around here :3:

relatedly, I have a couple bags of nutriberry flavors my dumb bird doesn't like and won't eat. one is the original kind and the other is whatever the lavender bag's flavor is called. each one is missing one (1) nutriberry but since they are opened I don't think the pet store will take them back, would anybody like a couple free bags of bird snacks

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Judah is also a dumb bird who won't eat nutriberries (seriously you are a cockatiel and they are basically the same as the goddamn honey/fruit sticks you like YOU GODDAMN IDIOT)

That bird park looks so fun :3: I want to shake hands with a cockatoo.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My zoo of choice - flamingo land, has gigantic exotic bird enclosures, Some of them are built into pits and are a good five min walk wide, one even has a mini forest. Modern British zoos tend to operate on the most excellent "want to see an animal? It's in there somewhere! Good luck!" principle.

Cockatoo in there is the noisiest bastard known to man. I don't have pictures of him because he was screaming and swooping and my mother wanted to be away from him "I'm Australian, I've seen those bastards before". Few of the inmates.

I see you

aloof

One looks down on on you all

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

oh man I wish there were a bird park around here :3:

relatedly, I have a couple bags of nutriberry flavors my dumb bird doesn't like and won't eat. one is the original kind and the other is whatever the lavender bag's flavor is called. each one is missing one (1) nutriberry but since they are opened I don't think the pet store will take them back, would anybody like a couple free bags of bird snacks

Sent a PM to you!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion, 10 months ago:

Pion (top) & Putni, a week ago:

Bonus: Pion, a month ago

nielsm fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 5, 2016

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at those handsome derps :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Sekkira posted:

Hey, Literally A Bird:

What game is that....

That's...breathtaking....

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Captain Log posted:

What game is that....

That's...breathtaking....

That would be Guild Wars 2 :getin:

I posted here cause I don't follow the SA topic and was told LAB doesn't play anymore.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Can you fly now in that game? Last time I played they'd just added ascended gear in the rift thing, the pink bits. Did they do much with the refugees in the snow nation?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

Can you fly now in that game? Last time I played they'd just added ascended gear in the rift thing, the pink bits. Did they do much with the refugees in the snow nation?

Glide, but yes

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Tendai posted:

pearl potatoes

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
This is an absolute trip. Iggy Pop with his Cockatoo Biggy Pop!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3533900/Iggy-Pop-s-cockatoo-instant-Instagram-star-bops-rocker-plays-guitar.html

I'd love to have a bond with a big bird like that. Wandy and I are there. :)

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

God the daily mail site is awful. Even with adblock it somehow looks like its covered in ads.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

So some pretty sad stuff here but you guys might be able to help. The short story is my inlaws had a Cockatoo that they gave away before moving to Florida and suffice to say who they gave it to couldn't look after her so she ended up being shipped down to Florida who in turn has now said he cannot look after her since she is biting and generally acting like an intelligent bird who has had her world in flux for the best part of a year and doesn't know if she is coming or going. He is trying to do the right thing and get her into a sanctuary, the issue being they want $4000 to take her for the rest of her life. He cannot afford that and I have given him a decent amount towards it since she is a sweet bird but just had some crappy bird parents who didn't really understand she is intelligent and rather attached to them despite how they treated her.

If you want to help then here is the go fund me https://www.gofundme.com/22g9x357 he is about half way there with friends and family helping (not Harley's original owners who have washed their hands of her entirely). If I had the space and stability I would take her but I am not going to be a hypocrite and do the same thing those I am criticizing have done and take on an animal that I do not have the proper environment for.

Now here she is rocking out https://www.facebook.com/patrick.fordey/videos/190820831080883/?l=7897722594030962981

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

connie got a new toy

next to this, what hope did the hamilton soundtrack have of engaging her?

edit: poo poo, forgot that when i did the img manually i needed to timg it myself, sorry.

Trebuchet King fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 8, 2016

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
Some hypnotic sun conure gifs for you.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

So I'm going to be rehoming my parent's cockatiel for a month while some home renovations are done. What are some of the common pitfalls for moving an old bird who has never lived anywhere else? Also sometimes the pot smoke from the apartment below mine wafts up through the vents, how much smoke is "too much" for a bird, its just tiny whiffs here and there.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Cricket will be coming home in about 2 weeks it looks like...so I wanted to ask you all what pellets were good to get her on. I'll be doing fresh foods and grains as well, but I wanted to have some pellets in there so she has something healthy to nibble on if she is in the mood for a pellet.

I know from reading, that lots of people don't like the fruity pebble looking ones since it colors the poo, so I was thinking to go with the natural colored ones. I know the pellets she is on now are not colored at all, but they are not a specific brand that we can tell.

What seems to be the most palatable brand of pellet for a 10 week old half moon conure about the size of a GCC? She seems to be a piglet when it comes to food, so it probably won't be too difficult to get her on something that is easy to get but still nutritionally sound.

fake edit: The lady who is hand raising her for us has her own pellets, packaged under the name of her company. I was looking for something that would be easier to get, but also something Cricket would most likely eat. I can always go back and get more of the original pellets she is eating now, but they are 2.5 hours away from us and don't mail packages. It's a bit far to drive for parrot pellets...

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Look at that birb :3:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

You're not supposed to show how the trick works. Also doves are generally considered easier to handle.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're not supposed to show how the trick works. Also doves are generally considered easier to handle.

I walked up to my partner yesterday with Taco hiding in my sleeve and yelled out "The same way a hundred dollar bill is A HUNDRED PENNIES!" and tried to fling him out of my sleeve, but instead he just caught the sleeve and dangled upside down from it.

"these things never go off when you want them to..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

(i am probably remembering that quote and have no idea how your silly money works. dollarydoos or get out)

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

GoldStandardConure posted:

I walked up to my partner yesterday with Taco hiding in my sleeve and yelled out "The same way a hundred dollar bill is A HUNDRED PENNIES!" and tried to fling him out of my sleeve, but instead he just caught the sleeve and dangled upside down from it.

"these things never go off when you want them to..."

(i am probably remembering that quote and have no idea how your silly money works. dollarydoos or get out)

sounds right to me

semi-related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkxg8v9gaKc

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Disco Salmon posted:

Cricket will be coming home in about 2 weeks it looks like...so I wanted to ask you all what pellets were good to get her on. I'll be doing fresh foods and grains as well, but I wanted to have some pellets in there so she has something healthy to nibble on if she is in the mood for a pellet.

I know from reading, that lots of people don't like the fruity pebble looking onesl since it colors the poo, so I was thinking to go with the natural colored ones. I know the pellets she is on now are not colored at all, but they are not a specific brand that we can tell.

What seems to be the most palatable brand of pellet for a 10 week old half moon conure about the size of a GCC? She seems to be a piglet when it comes to food, so it probably won't be too difficult to get her on something that is easy to get but still nutritionally sound.

fake edit: The lady who is hand raising her for us has her own pellets, packaged under the name of her company. I was looking for something that would be easier to get, but also something Cricket would most likely eat. I can always go back and get more of the original pellets she is eating now, but they are 2.5 hours away from us and don't mail packages. It's a bit far to drive for parrot pellets...

Get a bag of what Cricket eats and start with a 70-30 mix of it and what you want Cricket to eat and slowly wean down to just the new pellets over a fortnight. If she won't eat them at the end of the 2 weeks, put a bowl of the good pellets up high and a small bowl of the old ones on the bottom in a corner. It sounds cruel but conures are smart enough to not eat to get you to give then the food they want so you may have to watch her be hungry for a bit. She won't starve herself, but she might be stubborn. Only give her the small bowl if she doesnt eat all morning.

If she eats anything else like fruit and veg, give her that instead at the end of the 2 weeks, but still only a small amount at the bottom. Your goal is to get her on the pellets and have those be the majority of her food.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 8, 2016

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

poo poo.

I think Putni may have PBFD. He's had slightly shredded-looking feather ends all over for a long time, but today I discovered he has a large, bald spot on the back of the neck, where Pion (for comparison) has regular feather and down distribution. What really makes me suspicious, however, is that it looks like he has some very thin, misdeveloped feathers in the bald area.
It also seems he isn't eating anywhere near as much as Pion, and he seems to be quivering most of the time.

I'll have to try catching him and examine closer, and get a vet appointment.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Well gently caress dude

Can you seperate the birds? You need to sterilise everything and quarantine

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Separating them is hard, partly because I don't really have the space for it (I'd have to keep one of them in my bedroom then), and partly because Putni becomes really screamy and sad-sounding when he's separated from Pion. Even if they are in cages right next to each other and can see through the bars, he still screams.
I'd also have trouble letting Putni get time outside the cage then, since my only working strategy for getting him back in right now, is having him follow Pion.

Even then, if the bald spot is any indication of disease, he's had it for months already, since it seems to show as a "hump" by his back, and I can't remember if he ever didn't have that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If memory serves it usually presents the first moult after infection. If it is this virus then there is no way of knowing which of your birds had it first. You need to separate them. Cruel truth is that better sad sounding and screechy for a few days until you can get them to the vets to be tested than potentially dead. Don't let Putini out of the cage, he needs proper quarantine and you need to disinfect everything he's touched. Wooden toys should be burnt. If they share a cage then it would be easier to move Pion to a fresh one, as everything in the old one could be infected.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gently caress gently caress gently caress. I hope sincerely that you're completely wrong!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is a Severe Macaw.

This is a potato farm.

(They do not breed. This is a shelter. I just could not avoid the joke "potato farm." Thanks and god bless)

Potato. I do not have a picture of it, but one followed me around for a while. He had only one eye.

This is a macaw that gets her own cage after sending a number of people to the hospital. She seems very content and safe inside a spacious octagonal cage with a very large privacy box at the top. She retracted into that box long before we even got close.

The cages at this rescue are all outdoor carports built on permanent concrete slabs. The concrete floor actually has a river and a waterfall through which water from a "green" pond (algae & plants constantly cleaning the water in a large pond naturally) is constantly circulated. Baths anytime! This flight was full of Indian Ringnecks, consure, and a fuckload of lovebirds. The lovebirds all liked to perch up at the top rim.

Another shot of the lovebird row.

This guy liked to hang upside down.

One of several cockatoo flights. There are 20ish of these aviaries of various sizes set up and, depending on who you ask, 1300-1400 parrots living in flocks together mostly in peace. Even the nervous wrecks or abused birds they receive seem to generally integrate well with a flock. Instinctual. Go figure.

This nice gentleman walks up and introduces himself as, in the sweetest loving voice, "Casper."

This grey thinks he is a wolf.

And the grey in the center top of this image thinks he's an air-dropped bomb (bbwweeeeeeeWWWWWWW!)

I think I am going to sponsor the one-eyed cockatiel.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 8, 2016

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is the full album w/ high res. https://imgur.com/a/8aUpv

There's some video, but I did not ask the people showing us around if they would be okay with their voices on the web.

Eighteen cockatoos sitting on a wire carport wall two feet from your face vocalizing is the most intense sound I have ever heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

nielsm posted:

poo poo.

I think Putni may have PBFD. He's had slightly shredded-looking feather ends all over for a long time, but today I discovered he has a large, bald spot on the back of the neck, where Pion (for comparison) has regular feather and down distribution. What really makes me suspicious, however, is that it looks like he has some very thin, misdeveloped feathers in the bald area.
It also seems he isn't eating anywhere near as much as Pion, and he seems to be quivering most of the time.

I'll have to try catching him and examine closer, and get a vet appointment.

I'm hoping everything is ok for your potato!!

Fingers crossed and good thoughts to your little guys and you as well.