Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
I didn't even notice, soldiers just fit better than sons when speaking of our zombie god. Or so I thought... A revelation, then!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm the

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Seems legit.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Nenonen posted:

Which is lame as hell - bear is already the national animal of Russia and better known as such, we just can't come up with anything original.

We were there first since the word Russia itself comes from the Finnish for Sweden. Finland is the rightful heir of the Roman, Mongol and Russian empires. really makes u think

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Seems legit.

It's a fraud. The dude is way too well dressed.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

brakeless posted:

It's a fraud. The dude is way too well dressed.

also he can handle self preservation

edit: no wait, im the retard, he stumbles there

a good pic

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Lueskelin juuri Wikipediaa, ja huomasin ettei Lapuan liikettä pidetä fasistisena liikkeenä, toisin kuin IKL:ää. Mistäs se ero johtuu?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Well I think their main thing was anti-communism...I don't think they were hardcore authoritarian/totalitarian, were they?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
They sure as poo poo were. Also Wikipedia isn't really the most reliable source when it comes to obscure political movements.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
You don't get to call yourself a fascist if you're not a snappy dresser

Finland is a shitstain on the pages of European rightwing extremism. Also see Pekka Siitoin, Seppo Lehto, Joensuu, Ligur, SOO etc.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Everyone should read the book on Finnish fascist movements that came out earlier this year ("Suomalaiset fasistit - mustan sarastuksen airuet", probably the coolest name for a book ever). It paints a really good and comprehensive picture of the different movements and sects from the late 20s onwards, what were the ideological and historical roots of Lapuan liike, IKL and other minor factions and so on.

Probably not to anyone's surprise, basically all of them fell apart mostly because of drunk leaders, ridiculous amounts of infighting and just general incompetency. Lapuan liike probably had the best opportunity for an actual violent revolution and fascist takeover in the talonpoikaismarssi of 1930 and some of their members actually expected and prepared for it, but then the leaders chickened out in the end.

The book is peppered with with brilliant anecdotes, such as the one time when the fascists sent two dudes to kill prime minister Kyösti Kallio for turning down the dictatorship of Finland (which, you know, the fascists could have granted to him at any time). Kallio used some jedi mind trick to convince the killers otherwise, so they let him go and shot themselves behind a halkopino at Seinäjoki train station. The entire book is also a very good reminder that regardless of what hommas and ligurs hope and dream, there will never ever be a competent enough faction of right-wing extremists in Finland to actually succeed in a militant revolution. Lapuan liike had support from all social classes and even high-ranking army fellows, a huge amount of popularity and resources and they still collapsed in a drunken mess when things got real.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
So what you are saying is that they are very much like the Finnish far left movements?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
No, the Finnish far-left movements were actually successful for a long time.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

The entire book is also a very good reminder that regardless of what hommas and ligurs hope and dream, there will never ever be a competent enough faction of right-wing extremists in Finland to actually succeed in a militant revolution.

Challenge accepted!

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cerebral Bore posted:

No, the Finnish far-left movements were actually successful for a long time.

iirc their rebellion didn't end that well

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

iirc their rebellion didn't end that well

Yeah, but they made a comeback after 1944.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What did SKDL actually manage to do? What I've understood is that were much like Persut, ie. all bark, no bite.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

Kallio used some jedi mind trick to convince the killers otherwise, so they let him go and shot themselves behind a halkopino at Seinäjoki train station.

I wish I had his gift with words.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Well they infiltrated Valpo and controlled it until it was disbanded. Let's see persut take control of Supo.

SKP, that is, SKDL as a whole was a lot less extreme.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

His Divine Shadow posted:

I wish I had his gift with words.

DID SOMEONE REQUEST A MEME?!?!? Oh wait "gift with words" not "GIF with words", sorry.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

What did SKDL actually manage to do? What I've understood is that were much like Persut, ie. all bark, no bite.

They were one of the three big parties for almost 40 years and even managed to be the biggest party in parliament a few times. Also they were in government for about 15 years total. That's far more than Persut will ever manage.

As for specific achievements SKDL was a member of Paasio I, which brought keppanaa maitokauppoihin. This is probably the most significant event in the past 50 years of finnish history.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

Cerebral Bore posted:

As for specific achievements SKDL was a member of Paasio I, which brought keppanaa maitokauppoihin. This is probably the most significant event in the past 50 years of finnish history.

Wait, seriously? A communist is next step down from Mannerheim as a national hero?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

Well they infiltrated Valpo and controlled it until it was disbanded. Let's see persut take control of Supo.

Cerebral Bore posted:

They were one of the three big parties for almost 40 years and even managed to be the biggest party in parliament a few times. Also they were in government for about 15 years total. That's far more than Persut will ever manage.

As many parties —especially Persut— have shown, just being in the government doesn't necessarily mean anything. But I definitely agree with you wrt. the keppana thing.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Hogge Wild posted:

Leinon yksitoista, never forgive, never forget

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Hogge Wild posted:

Built the welfare state, for the most part.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Kemper Boyd posted:

Built the welfare state, for the most part.

For the most part that would be Demarit.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not like demarit were alone in those governments. For example SKDL were in Koivisto 1, which started a little pilot project called Tupo.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's not like demarit were alone in those governments. For example SKDL were in Koivisto 1, which started a little pilot project called Tupo.

Nor were SKDL alone in those governments. That government also had CP and Bättre folkpartiet.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
ScandiPol posters answering questions :haw:

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot
funniest thing about far-left in finland that they are probably the most fascist people, and they don't even realize it

hillo
Dec 19, 2012

by zen death robot

I don't understand any of this. I've lived in savo all my life and have had no use for swedish so I didn't bother to learn it.

When I was working in Tammisaari it was a bit difficult because these retards don't even speak finnish. Best case was this woman coming up to me and she said "tala du svenska?" and I answered "nej" then she starts blasting me with words I don't understand. Thanks, woman.

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF
she was saying that go back to your precious mongolia

vuohi
Nov 22, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

SKDL was softly tied to supporting almost fully social democratic policies, something which (among other things) caused the party to split and slowly decline for twenty years. You also have to consider the power of our benevolent leader Kekkonen at that time and its implications. SKDL was in many governments because they were useful for others there (Kekkonen, Soviet Union, SDP), despite being in a state of slow collapse. Why do you think that NC was out of government for 20 years?

Liinamaa I was mostly a joint project of SAK and then-STK, now EK. Koivisto I hadn't served even a full week before the agreement was signed.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

hillo posted:

I don't understand any of this. I've lived in savo all my life and have had no use for swedish so I didn't bother to learn it.

When I was working in Tammisaari it was a bit difficult because these retards don't even speak finnish. Best case was this woman coming up to me and she said "tala du svenska?" and I answered "nej" then she starts blasting me with words I don't understand. Thanks, woman.

There's English subs and the video is ownage. Gender is not a feeling!

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
I mean genetically genders are like two symbiotically living species.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
maailman suurimmat kitisijät iskevät jälleen:

http://www.hs.fi/kulttuuri/a1462850918559
http://www.hs.fi/paivanlehti/09052016/a1462673424623

kulttuurinen appropriaatio ja ongelmallinen mainittu, vain laukeaminen ja kirjaimellinen vapina puuttuu

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hogge Wild posted:

Uhh I didn't see anything about Swedish-speaking Finns?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hogge Wild posted:

Kuka heistä sä olet?

vuohi posted:

SKDL was softly tied to supporting almost fully social democratic policies, something which (among other things) caused the party to split and slowly decline for twenty years. You also have to consider the power of our benevolent leader Kekkonen at that time and its implications. SKDL was in many governments because they were useful for others there (Kekkonen, Soviet Union, SDP), despite being in a state of slow collapse. Why do you think that NC was out of government for 20 years?

Liinamaa I was mostly a joint project of SAK and then-STK, now EK. Koivisto I hadn't served even a full week before the agreement was signed.

SKDL weren't in a real state of collapse until the late 70s, but that's besides the point. The question was what influence the Finnish far-left has had, and SKDL inarguably were a political force that couldn't be ignored for decades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fushigi Yuugi fansub
Jan 20, 2007

BUTT STUFF

eikös taiteen perimmäinen tarkoitus olekaan herättää tunteita? :confused: