Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Hahaha I lived in Scottsdale, AZ when this episode aired, and worked a block away. People lined up afterwards to see the crazy.

I believe they are now closed because the fame and novelty faded but the common awareness that the restaurant was run by insane people did not.

I was listening to a radio show on the way to work one day, they had the server on that they regularly stole tips from. They were telling everyone where her new job was, and to go in and give her awesome tips. I bet she made bank from that. She deserved it though, I cannot image working for crazy like that.

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

FetusSlapper posted:

The US version also has Amy's Baking Company. Crazy people with too much money on their hands are very entertaining.

That was the only episode of the US version I really enjoyed. But even then I had to skip through a lot because of that annoying American format of interminable ads with previews of drama pre and recaps post break.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

chitoryu12 posted:

I always feel like I have to rein myself in when I start drifting toward some kind of hipster trend. Like I legitimately like some aspects of that aesthetic like denim jackets and old 35mm film cameras, but I feel like charging a premium for that kind of poo poo is kinda useless? Like I can go on eBay and buy actual old poo poo for cheaper than people charge for the same stuff new. Likewise, a lot of these weird food trends and hipster joints can be served just as well for cheaper if you know what you're looking for, unless you're being really specific like trying to be incredibly anal-retentive about the origin of ingredients or something.

I think the best way to put it is that people want the experience of things like rustic or old-timey cool stuff without actually having to put in any more effort than dropping more money.

I live in Seattle, so I see a really annoying amount of this, especially in the Amazon/tech core where everyone wants to be the trendiest. Nothing like going into a record store and finding a beat-up copy of Whipped Cream & Other Delights (or whatever lovely album there's always a billion of at Goodwill for ten cents each) for eight dollars because it's ~vintage~.

GrandpaPants posted:

Was this a thing when that Simpsons joke was made or did an entire food culture somehow take it seriously?

The joke is that Yoko Ono is an abstract artist and would order something weird, but yeah, goofy plating has been around for ages, especially during the new-wave cuisine revolution in the 80s.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

om nom nom posted:

Hahaha I lived in Scottsdale, AZ when this episode aired, and worked a block away. People lined up afterwards to see the crazy.

I believe they are now closed because the fame and novelty faded but the common awareness that the restaurant was run by insane people did not.

I was listening to a radio show on the way to work one day, they had the server on that they regularly stole tips from. They were telling everyone where her new job was, and to go in and give her awesome tips. I bet she made bank from that. She deserved it though, I cannot image working for crazy like that.

Yeah, they closed down I think just a few years after Kitchen Nightmares. The co-owners had a bad habit of physically assaulting customers along with the rest of their poor business practices (lovely food, stealing tips, etc.), so they couldn't even last off the fame for very long before they drove everyone away.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I live in Seattle, so I see a really annoying amount of this, especially in the Amazon/tech core where everyone wants to be the trendiest. Nothing like going into a record store and finding a beat-up copy of Whipped Cream & Other Delights (or whatever lovely album there's always a billion of at Goodwill for ten cents each) for eight dollars because it's ~vintage~.

The joke is that Yoko Ono is an abstract artist and would order something weird, but yeah, goofy plating has been around for ages, especially during the new-wave cuisine revolution in the 80s.

Haha I was just thinking about how hipsters will buy Tijuana Brass at record stores even though every thrift store in the world has multiple copies. In fact I feel like they buy thrift store records a LOT.

I grew up in the antique/collectable/vintage/whatever business and there's so much stuff that 10 years ago was worthless that you can sell to hipsters for way too much. Like typewriters, and lovely kodak cameras, and loving mario bros.

There are stores in Seattle that sell new furniture made to look vintage but you can drive down to Centralia where I am and buy the real thing for a quarter of the price.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I wonder if the more clever trendy record stores have a pile of the 15 cent poo poo in the back and only put one out at a time and say its "uncommon" to try and gouge.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jyrraeth posted:

I wonder if the more clever trendy record stores have a pile of the 15 cent poo poo in the back and only put one out at a time and say its "uncommon" to try and gouge.

I believe that's what's called "honest graft".

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

FetusSlapper posted:

The US version also has Amy's Baking Company. Crazy people with too much money on their hands are very entertaining.

I just looked it up. "We have three little boys, but they're trapped in cat bodies" is the most red flag sentence I've ever heard.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

davidspackage posted:

I just looked it up. "We have three little boys, but they're trapped in cat bodies" is the most red flag sentence I've ever heard.

Or the start of a great RPG sidequest.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Thinky Whale posted:

I like you.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Thinky Whale posted:

This (with a third of the cats, if that counts) was actually a quest in Lightning Returns FF13 of all things.

To weakly link that to the thread, Square Enix runs a cafe/bar where they serve food and drinks based off things from the series. I'm actually the right kind of dork to be all for that, but I imagine the concept would be worth a laugh/cringe to some people.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 08:58 on May 8, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

AlphaKretin posted:

This (with a third of the cats, if that counts) was actually a quest in Lightning Returns FF13 of all things.

To weakly link that to the thread, Square Enix runs a cafe/bar where they serve food and drinks based off things from the series. I'm actually the right kind of dork to be all for that, but I imagine the concept would be worth a laugh/cringe to some people.

Enormous chicken legs served with tasteless androgynous soup topped with perfectly styled feathered hair in extremely ornate and gaudy paper containers that are too flimsy to contain the serving. Every day they claim they have a new special, but it's just the same slop with some of the ingredients switched around. And every serving comes with pubic hair, but that's just because food service employees are assholes.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Restaurant business is hard.

Jack Burton posted:

Yeah, you own a restaurant. That's a hell of a lot more than me.
One of the funniest lines in that movie.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The joke was also that Moe reacted with total nonchalance and had her insane drink immediately ready under the bar. It was more than one joke.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Jyrraeth posted:

Sure, and then they go home and play it on their Crosley with the garbage needle that destroys what's left of the record. Love that warm analogue sound.

cheerfullydrab posted:

The joke was also that Moe reacted with total nonchalance and had her insane drink immediately ready under the bar. It was more than one joke.

It's almost like there's.....two jokes.....

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

AlphaKretin posted:

cafes based on popular franchises are pretty common in Japan
mostly they serve things like coffee with a character drawn on the top, omurice with a picture drawn in ketchup, cakes based on character colour schemes etc
at least they don't pretend like the food is anything other than mediocre and overpriced for novelty value
fake edit: and at least they use normal plates

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
TBF the place seems really neat; they did more work on themes than it seems like even Disney does, and the food looks tasty to boot
https://www.google.com/search?q=eorzea+cafe&tbm=isch

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who wants the Keurig of tortillas

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker

quote:

flatev is fresh tortillas at the touch of a button.

In less time than it takes you to toast a slice of bread, flatev transforms a pod of fresh dough into a hot and delicious tortilla.

$200 if you join the Kickstarter. $400 at retail. And no, you cannot use your own dough.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I am so damned angry at that thing.

Lard, starch, squish, heat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

"It cuts down on food waste too" throws a pile of empty plastic cups in the trash.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Sentient Data posted:

I really can't get over the fact that you can't even use your own dough. And the waste. The incredible waste.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Sentient Data posted:

Lard, starch, squish, heat.

this guy knows whats up

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Worst part is it makes tortillas twice as thick as normal and only 6 inches

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Holy poo poo, each pod costs $.79 and makes one tortilla. What.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Mu Zeta posted:

Who wants the Keurig of tortillas

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1104354043/the-artisan-tortilla-maker

$200 if you join the Kickstarter. $400 at retail. And no, you cannot use your own dough.

gently caress nerds.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

They are also testing out naan pods.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Hahaha those are the shittiest hipster tortillas I've ever seen

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
for the price of one of those machines you can get a life time supply of tortillas

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like how it justifies the double thickness because "it's better and we like to taste our tortillas" and not "we couldn't get them totally flat without loving it up". Not that thick tortillas can't be good but it's such obvious marketing bullshit.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Also who only has one tortilla each

that is so many pods

Also also, while every night maybe SHOULD be tortilla night, it's not like coffee that you in fact do have all the time so you have this honking machine around uselessly for most of the time. fuyck this is so bad and yet it is funded. Mind you, no way will they make it with that small amount of funding.

NLJP fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 8, 2016

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, they closed down I think just a few years after Kitchen Nightmares. The co-owners had a bad habit of physically assaulting customers along with the rest of their poor business practices (lovely food, stealing tips, etc.), so they couldn't even last off the fame for very long before they drove everyone away.

I'm always skeptical of how much shows like that amp up the pressure to get some drama, but there's something delightful in seeing Ramsey genuinely amused by the dumb poo poo those two were doing.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I like how it justifies the double thickness because "it's better and we like to taste our tortillas" and not "we couldn't get them totally flat without loving it up". Not that thick tortillas can't be good but it's such obvious marketing bullshit.

double thickness is the only part I get get behind, since you usually double up on homemade corn tortillas when using them for tacos and the like anyway.

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I'm always skeptical of how much shows like that amp up the pressure to get some drama, but there's something delightful in seeing Ramsey genuinely amused by the dumb poo poo those two were doing.

It's really obvious in the American version. You have these crappy restaurants that maaaaaybe seat 10-20 people a day. Ramsey shows up tries the food (it's always crap and the restaurant is always empty) then the next day Ramsey (or likely the casting dept.) Has this restaurant PACKED with like 50+ people in less than an hour and you know they were all instructed to be as critical as possible about the food/service. Even a good restaurant would falter a bit when hit with that kind of rush.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

TheDon01 posted:

It's really obvious in the American version. You have these crappy restaurants that maaaaaybe seat 10-20 people a day. Ramsey shows up tries the food (it's always crap and the restaurant is always empty) then the next day Ramsey (or likely the casting dept.) Has this restaurant PACKED with like 50+ people in less than an hour and you know they were all instructed to be as critical as possible about the food/service. Even a good restaurant would falter a bit when hit with that kind of rush.

He does this in the UK version too, which he does to show how/if the restaurant can handle a "to capacity" sort of experience. They don't tend to fare well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Amy's is one of the cases where the drama is actually real. They really are as crazy and violent as the show made them look. Hence the closure.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer

chitoryu12 posted:

Amy's is one of the cases where the drama is actually real. They really are as crazy and violent as the show made them look. Hence the closure.

If you want some additional evidence of that, just Google for their Facebook posts after the episode aired. Someone had a whole fit online, Reddit got involved, and at the end of it, the posts were deleted and they claimed they were hacked. It's beautiful when put together with the show.

E: For content, why did it matter if the bacon was Applewood smoked a couple of years back? Seemed like several chains were touting it, and I couldn't tell you if it made a difference.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

somekindofguy posted:

E: For content, why did it matter if the bacon was Applewood smoked a couple of years back? Seemed like several chains were touting it, and I couldn't tell you if it made a difference.

Bacon homeopathy?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scathach posted:

Hahaha those are the shittiest hipster tortillas I've ever seen

Shrimp with the tail still on tacos. Trendy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

somekindofguy posted:

I had half a pack of applewood and half a pack of cherrywood or something smoked bacon a while back and they tasted a little different to me. Not enough to really matter, but you could tell if you had one of each.

• Locked thread