Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Serious Hardware / Software Crap › RE: A ticket came in: We must perform the ritual of An'tigh-Vyrus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

divabot posted:

All antivirus are as good as each other at the task of dealing with malware

Are all antivirus also malware themselves because all the ones that cost money sure as hell are (for any reasonable definition of malware)?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ErIog posted:

Serious Hardware / Software Crap › RE: A ticket came in: We must perform the ritual of An'tigh-Vyrus

Do this, thanks in advance.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

ErIog posted:

Please do the needful and revert back

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You want him to change the thread title and then undo the change?

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I gotta say, Proventia XGS is a pretty fuckin sweet security solution.

In addition to an antivirus, firewall, and web filter, ofc.

Assuming you don't want to go full SIEM, which is ridiculous unless you have a team of 20 people sorting out your initial configs on any moderate to large size network.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Colorfinger posted:

So I noticed you guys liked the VOD of us performing this so I recorded it properly (without me making a bunch of mistakes in the piano) and then I got real ambitious and made a lyric video, here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqjpJtL5D-k

Also probably doing another show on Saturday (5/7) around 5PMish, so come along and hang out with us if you like :)

http://www.twitch.tv/sacolorfinger

Everyone should listen to this because it's amazing :swoon:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Speaking of user training and Knowbe4, I'm just finishing up some of our baseline testing and the results are kind of scary.

We did a simple test, from cmnnews@cmn.info.eu or something with a link to "Prince Death Video". That had a click through rate of 15%. Some stupid coupon toolbar had a click through rate of 5%. I'm really glad we got approval from management to do some training on this. Upper level management has been hell bent on all things security after a competitor got hit with a fake wire transfer a while back. Hopefully this will pay for itself in just limiting the number of re-images help desk has to do for users.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I'm a little late to the party, but I just got an invite to this webinar about Malvertising

https://webinar.darkreading.com/2063/

quote:

This webinar give the audience a better understanding of the impact of malvertising and ransomware. It will also tackle some of the biggest misconceptions, latest tactics/incidents, how these attacks are delivered and why your company may be at risk without you even knowing it.

It could be mildly entertaining to see what they have to say.
It could also be good propaganda to show some higher ups if you're worried about crypto variants.

I hope this doesn't earn me a red title :ohdear:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Speaking of user training and Knowbe4, I'm just finishing up some of our baseline testing and the results are kind of scary.

We did a simple test, from cmnnews@cmn.info.eu or something with a link to "Prince Death Video". That had a click through rate of 15%. Some stupid coupon toolbar had a click through rate of 5%. I'm really glad we got approval from management to do some training on this. Upper level management has been hell bent on all things security after a competitor got hit with a fake wire transfer a while back. Hopefully this will pay for itself in just limiting the number of re-images help desk has to do for users.
Are you doing it all yourself or have you run up a VM with one of the phishing toolkits on it?

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Are you doing it all yourself or have you run up a VM with one of the phishing toolkits on it?

No we're using KnowBe4s service to handle everything. We just pick the templates and customize as needed, handle the scheduling and then send it off. We've been very impressed with the service and it was dirt cheap. I've had a ton of fun creating the phishing emails, its a nice break from my normal day to day work. We do have a cuckoo VM setup just to inspect real attachments our users are getting to try and at least educate them on how they are being targeted.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh nice, I didn't realise that they let you pick and choose the emails that you felt were most relevant for your org. I ran a trial and got a 25% hit rate which was quite scary, including some people who said they knew it was a phishing test and clicked it anyway, which is worse than people who didn't know. The price of being curious I guess.

Anyway the pricing is pretty positive (it's gently caress all really) and I can't see any reason to go for the gold level service as people's email addresses aren't meant to be secrets. I kind of agree with the guy in the infosec thread that decided the training had a dumb name, have you looked at any of it yet and is it as cheesy as the name suggests? In reality I could probably take the earlier advice and run a PowerPoint session and do a couple of test campaigns but having an online portal with web-based training will suit our staff better as they aren't ever going to be in the same place long enough for classroom delivery to work, and having a thing that tracks users progress makes it straightforward to write it into staff terms and conditions and keep tabs on things. We've already got configuring two-factor auth as a step in the induction so the business is quite reasonable about giving IT the framework they need to operate in.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 6, 2016

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
An email came in, warning me and other staff that people are complaining about cellphone use. After some investigation I find out we have a crotchety old office manager who bitched about everything new employees do.

We pay a part of people's plans, let them use exchange on their phones and complain about phone usage? :sigh:

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 15:46 on May 6, 2016

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

Oh nice, I didn't realise that they let you pick and choose the emails that you felt were most relevant for your org. I ran a trial and got a 25% hit rate which was quite scary, including some people who said they knew it was a phishing test and clicked it anyway, which is worse than people who didn't know. The price of being curious I guess.

Anyway the pricing is pretty positive (it's gently caress all really) and I can't see any reason to go for the gold level service as people's email addresses aren't meant to be secrets. I kind of agree with the guy in the infosec thread that decided the training had a dumb name, have you looked at any of it yet and is it as cheesy as the name suggests? In reality I could probably take the earlier advice and run a PowerPoint session and do a couple of test campaigns but having an online portal with web-based training will suit our staff better as they aren't ever going to be in the same place long enough for classroom delivery to work, and having a thing that tracks users progress makes it straightforward to write it into staff terms and conditions and keep tabs on things. We've already got configuring two-factor auth as a step in the induction so the business is quite reasonable about giving IT the framework they need to operate in.

Yeah there are hundreds of emails to choose from, lots of community created ones, and you can make your own. For instance we've made a few based off of real incoming messages that have targeted some of our executives.

The training look and feel is pretty cheesy, though not bad by any means. Kind of looks like the creative crew from the set of Hackers just picked up shop and decided to make corporate training videos. They have different level courses that range time wise anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes. The courses are pretty well done, and based on the feedback I've gotten from some users its clear and concise. It does a good job teaching users the basics like checking email message headers and how to hover over links to see the url it's linked to. For us we've decided to have everyone take the quick 15 minute course as time allows. All of the courses are slide based so they can start and stop as needed. The users who click on any phishing email get added to a clickers group and then get automatically enrolled in one of the longer courses. After this initial round of training we plan on sending out monthly security tips emails from KnowBe4 just as a reminder. Those emails are nice too because they give users a heads up on whatever seems to be the latest trending scam email.

We've tried the powerpoint in the conference room training before and just found it ineffective. For the people who know better already its a waste of time. For the people who need it only a few get it after sitting through one quick training session. This training is nice because it doesnt tie up someone from IT and they can do it on their own time. The videos seem to be interesting enough to keep peoples attention too which is huge. For the price it's definitely worth it.

We went with the gold tier just because it is so cheap. I think at the next level they do like USB drops and phone calls to try and get info from users. We decided to skip that for now, at least until some user starts giving out bank routing info over the phone.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Some of the KnowBe4 training is dumb (there's like four slides of utterly irrelevant stuff in the beginning like "what is spearfishing? What's an APT*") but once you get past the initial stupid slides I thought the 15 minute security training was pretty good - it hit on the major points and broke down some important things like "how to hover over a link to check the destination", "is this sender legit", etc. into something that I could reasonably expect my users to understand. Only gripe with it really is that you have to create accounts for your users to access that stuff and frankly I just cannot be bothered with trying to do that and force compliance, so the videos will pretty much go unused for us.

On the upside like everyone says it's dirt cheap and I get my money's worth out of the phishing campaigns alone so whatever.

* or some other totally irrelevant jargon that even I forgot, and users definitely don't give a poo poo about or need to know.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Never got a virus on my OS of choice:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Alighieri posted:

Never got a virus on my OS of choice:

Just dont upgrade to the new testament version or you could get a pox on you like I did.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Don't you have to layeth with a woman to get the pox

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

mewse posted:

Don't you have to layeth with a woman to get the pox

I typed "sex with a lady" in Miriam font and here I am.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol have fun you guys:

12:55 PM • Mary Jo Foley / ZDNet: Microsoft no longer allows administrators to block Windows Store access in Windows 10 Pro

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
Does it count as yotj if you're just changing teams to same duties, same pay, different servers, and shedding three terrible and severe problems than have been standardized out of the new asset pool?

Eh. I'll take it. :yotj: Because I should never have to hack a password to support our own servers again.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

They're pretty secretive about it on the website, but they do say you just change your DNS records. Does this gently caress things up for clients that are in the office needing to access internal resources since they don't get the internal DNS servers any more, or is there an agent that deals with swapping the servers out?

If the thinking behind AV is that it's a waste of money and is so poorly written that it is likely to present a larger attack surface, then I guess something that isn't installed on your machine can at worst be a waste of money.

You just change the dns forwarders on your dns servers, and then setup the networks on the OpenDNS side so the traffic is filtered instead of just getting dns results back like non paying users. Then you still get all the same internal dns resolution. For clients that are traveling a lot they have a roaming client to install.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

mediaphage posted:

lol have fun you guys:

12:55 PM • Mary Jo Foley / ZDNet: Microsoft no longer allows administrators to block Windows Store access in Windows 10 Pro

Yeah don't run pro, run ent. It's pretty clear which direction ms is taking pro.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're not paying for ent, we get oem which is pro.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

Yeah don't run pro, run ent. It's pretty clear which direction ms is taking pro.
:regd08:

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
We run education/enterprise, but have a few one-offs with pro. Hopefully you'll still be able to at least uninstall the store via powershell.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't count on it.

Enterprise is a good product but moving onto it for an organisation that has increased the deployment count of Pro licenses involves a fairly large initial order to get the Enterprise Upgrade for each machine, after that you just need to keep SA active.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Fun Fridays, AVG Cloudcare shat out again causing external E-mails to come in extremely slowly or practically not at all since there were no errors triggering, so the only way I found out was from our agents getting lovely phonecalls about why nobodies responding to their messages.

It's always fun having to explain broken clouds.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Super Slash posted:

Fun Fridays, AVG Cloudcare shat out again causing external E-mails to come in extremely slowly or practically not at all since there were no errors triggering, so the only way I found out was from our agents getting lovely phonecalls about why nobodies responding to their messages.

It's always fun having to explain broken clouds.

'The clouds were raining and dropping all the data.'

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Super Slash posted:

Fun Fridays, AVG Buttcare shat out again causing external E-mails to come in extremely slowly or practically not at all since there were no errors triggering, so the only way I found out was from our agents getting lovely phonecalls about why nobodies responding to their messages.

It's always fun having to explain broken butts.

Lol, antivirus

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
At least you weren't performing heart catheterization at the time

although maybe a hard-realtime life-critical application shouldn't poo poo itself the first time an I/O error is thrown

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 8, 2016

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

At least you weren't performing heart catheterization at the time

although maybe a hard-realtime life-critical application shouldn't poo poo itself the first time an I/O error is thrown

Or been running on Windows instead of an RTOS

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

my car doesnt run anti-virus, should I be worried?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I get that everyone is technically right about how useless AV is in 2016 but acting like getting users that aren't people posting in this thread to properly navigate the Internet using No Script/Ad Block is ...frankly possible is insane. Or that forcing it on them isn't going to lead to countless hours of time spent trying to get it tuned right.

I know most people don't have to talk to end users anymore but they really really are apathetic about how they use the magical box at their desk to do anything.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

LethalGeek posted:

I get that everyone is technically right about how useless AV is in 2016 but acting like getting users that aren't people posting in this thread to properly navigate the Internet using No Script/Ad Block is ...frankly possible is insane. Or that forcing it on them isn't going to lead to countless hours of time spent trying to get it tuned right.

I know most people don't have to talk to end users anymore but they really really are apathetic about how they use the magical box at their desk to do anything.

As long as it doesn't interfere with my coupon toolbars I'm open to installing new stuff.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

AV is useless in 2016, but users are also retarded so AV is still required despite it being useless.

Alright.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Are any of the adblockers able to be centrally managed yet (is central management of extensions even a thing Chrome supports or would the extension writer need to build it themselves?). I know you can install extensions via GPO or through the Google Apps management assuming your users are signed into Chrome, but I'd be wary of rolling out Ublock Origin company-wide unless I could easily drop an exception in for certain sites.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

uBlock origin is a zero-config option that is what is actually being recommended, not some form of script whitelisting.
Pretty sure you can install it on your mom's browser and she'll never know.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Segmentation Fault posted:

AV is useless in 2016, but users are also retarded so AV is still required despite it being useless.

Alright.

I'm not telling someone to not run antivirus because then when the lady who opens all her spam email 'just to check if they're actually spam' gets another infection then it's now my fault because I told her antivirus was garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Jesus christ not this derail again

• Locked thread