Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

CyanEyed posted:

For anyone who was mildly curious about the new armor set. it's basically +14.5 grunil with no AP.

Would be a nice temp option for new players who want to go hard and sink their resources straight into boss armor... but 200CP for the set is just gratuitous. Not sure what the intended purpose of this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TE!
Nov 26, 2003

I LOVE THE LITTLE BOYS OF CATHOLIC!! LOLZ!
I can't seem to catch a leader online but Roober Zucky would like to join on Balenos S01 or w/e it is

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi. I got my hands on a trial but my knowledge of this game extends only to the OP. Which class(es) are fun and (ideally) great at high-level PvP?
Thanks.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Unexpected posted:

Hi. I got my hands on a trial but my knowledge of this game extends only to the OP. Which class(es) are fun and (ideally) great at high-level PvP?
Thanks.

Sorcs are probably the strongest class over-all right now? They have the best toolbox consisting of

1) Most i-frames / Good mobility
2) Frontal guard
3) Lot of knock downs
4) Good AOE at mid-range for mass pvp
5) Extremely high single target DPS
6) High boss damage (boss loot is based off damage)

In most small scale skirmishes Sorcs can either blow people up or just run and disengage at will since realistically only another Sorc will catch you.

Most classes are pretty balanced barring desync issues on characters with grabs (warrior, Valk, Zerker), so you can realistically play anything long as you enjoy them. All gear but main weapon/offhand is transferable so you can roll a different character and still keep most of your gear.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

TE! posted:

I can't seem to catch a leader online but Roober Zucky would like to join on Balenos S01 or w/e it is

:eyepop:

Unexpected posted:

Thanks.

This is one of those things where the advice is to pick what sounds fun for you, try it out, and if you don't like it, try something different. All the classes are pretty unique and what one person might like might not be what you like to play.

Also, it really depends on what kind of PVP you want. 1v1 sorceresses are probably known as some of the strongest fighters, in large-scale battles you can play a witch/wizard to just blow people up (but they are really bad 1v1). Rangers are known as being good all-arounders later in the game - good at all sorts of PVP and PVE grinding, but they chug potions like crazy and even though I leveled mine to 52 I couldn't really get into it. Valkyries are really tanky and can probably out-survive almost anyone 1v1 but in group PVP their goal is to distract people from going after your squishies. (They're one of my favorite classes to play but others find them boring.) As mentioned you can switch all your armor to an alt if you decide you don't like a class so feel free to experiment.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
Sorceress is like a warlock monk, I love it.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

boho posted:

sick ghillie suit

had it turned off on purpose with the other sword, i just dont like the look of the conq pack one, and the angel one is distracting during pvp. Giant loving wings.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Wassbix posted:

Sorcs are probably the strongest class over-all right now? They have the best toolbox consisting of

1) Most i-frames / Good mobility
2) Frontal guard
3) Lot of knock downs
4) Good AOE at mid-range for mass pvp
5) Extremely high single target DPS
6) High boss damage (boss loot is based off damage)

In most small scale skirmishes Sorcs can either blow people up or just run and disengage at will since realistically only another Sorc will catch you.

Most classes are pretty balanced barring desync issues on characters with grabs (warrior, Valk, Zerker), so you can realistically play anything long as you enjoy them. All gear but main weapon/offhand is transferable so you can roll a different character and still keep most of your gear.

Don't make a sorc for the sake of being the strongest though, as this may change with awakening weapons. I don't know all the details but a lot of classes seem to be having their weaknesses filled in (tamers for example get a block and the ability to invuln their pet for one minute, berserkers get insane mobility and range damage, etc). My guess is that between the balance patch and the awakening weapons, within 6 months or so there will be a new top dog.

It really is true that all classes are viable, and that looks to only get more true as we get further updates. Just play what looks to be the most fun for you, or do what I did and spend weeks creating different characters and leveling them to 20ish, in order to more rigorously determine what you gain optimal enjoyment from (spoiler: I still don't know). :goonsay:

If you're really worried about what's flavor of the month, choose a class-flexible armor set like Grunil that you can move to whatever new class later.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:58 on May 7, 2016

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Sorcs get a wicked scythe as their awakening which gives them extra aoe ability and a block at the cost of having slightly less mobility. They are still great 1v1 after it comes out, and they haven't really been touched in Korea for months so they'll probably still be on top for a while.

Every class has an awakening available except maehwa and witch/wizard if I'm not mistaken. Berserker and warrior, two classes that are kind of not too great right now, get really badass awakenings that make them more fun to play. Most other awakenings are pretty cool as well.

One thing to keep in mind is that PVP in this game is very largely determined by level & gear first, and skill second. So you are not going to be making GBS threads all over everyone even with a FotM class unless you get good gear.

Wassbix
May 24, 2006
Thanks guy!

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Don't make a sorc for the sake of being the strongest though, as this may change with awakening weapons. I don't know all the details but a lot of classes seem to be having their weaknesses filled in (tamers for example get a block and the ability to invuln their pet for one minute, berserkers get insane mobility and range damage, etc). My guess is that between the balance patch and the awakening weapons, within 6 months or so there will be a new top dog.

It really is true that all classes are viable, and that looks to only get more true as we get further updates. Just play what looks to be the most fun for you, or do what I did and spend weeks creating different characters and leveling them to 20ish, in order to more rigorously determine what you gain optimal enjoyment from (spoiler: I still don't know). :goonsay:

If you're really worried about what's flavor of the month, choose a class-flexible armor set like Grunil that you can move to whatever new class later.

I agree playing what you enjoy will bring most enjoyment, which is sorta the point of playing a video game.

But just as reference, so far Daum has followed everything to the tee with KR patch notes (with different chronology).

Sorc hasn't gotten a balance change
Musa/Maehwa we got the post-nerf version (so most likely no changes, except some rumor about DP being bugged?)
Zerker gets buffed with awakening and then awakening gets nerfed a bit (People were salty about gun punch damage, think their flying gun punch gets nerfed a bit too)
Ranger gets dmg nerfed a bit more
Ninja still remains pretty gimpy (they get awakening pretty soon)
Witch/Wizard remains unchanged (awakening pretty soon as well)

Big AP/DP overhaul hinted in KR but nothing leaked yet.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Warrior is alot of fun. They get dash attacks for maneuverability and are nearly impossible to kill, but don't have any ranged attacks to speak of, and really need a series of attacks to land in order to deal damage. Thankfully they have a grab and at least one kick to get their targets stationary long enough to hit. Guarding with your shield literally makes you invincible.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Unless it's world bosses. Those fuckers hit hard

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
We're going to try doing another blockade in ~3-4 hours (gathering at 5pm Pacific) on Orwen. Hopefully we can get more than 3 guilds to dec on us this time. Bring your blockers and muskets!

We are delaying the blockade because nerds want to farm sausages.

Werkwerk fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 8, 2016

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Department of Fisheries, never stop dispensing justice to vicious fish murderers.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Got my cash shop hawk to level 10 earlier this week. His level 10 perk: 3% training exp. Not great, but I planned to fusion dance him with the event hawk anyway so I figure I'll just choose the other hawk's trait to carry over in the breeding.
Event hawk hit 10 today: 3% training exp, again. Praise RNJesus. Their T3 offspring will get a second trait though, I still have hope. Between +1 luck, +1 fishing, or 3% fishing exp, it's got a more than 50% shot at being good.

Time to fusion dance....

3% trading exp.

:suicide:

Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!
Spotted a Tamer running around and grinding with a few too many Heilangs out today. :allears:

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004
Sorry to say I probably will not be home in time to participate in SFD guild missions tomorrow night. Good news was that I got to spend half of today 4-wheeling the forests of southern Arkansas, which look remarkably similar to the BDO forests of Trent.

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

CountingWizard posted:

Sorry to say I probably will not be home in time to participate in SFD guild missions tomorrow night. Good news was that I got to spend half of today 4-wheeling the forests of southern Arkansas, which look remarkably similar to the BDO forests of Trent.

I told you Trent is my favorite zone for a reason!

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
I'm sorry for being a pestering noob but would someone happen to have a good Sorc or Tamer (who's a good doggy?) build?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Unexpected posted:

I'm sorry for being a pestering noob but would someone happen to have a good Sorc or Tamer (who's a good doggy?) build?

Tamer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDpsup0tGk
Sorc: http://black-desert.com/forums/blog/index.php/Entry/68-Extensive-Sorc-Guide/

That sorc guide isn't perfect, but it's a good place to start until you can bug Iro or someone in-game.

The tamer build is pretty spot-on in my experience, it's one of the only ones I've found that isn't total loving garbage. On gear I disagree somewhat, he suggests 4-piece grunil armor, and I prefer grunil hat/gloves + zereth boots/chest. Someone else itt recommended that combo to me and the extra 400 stamina from the zereth made my tamer seem noticeably more fun and survivable, being able to flip forever makes you feel a lot more in control of your positioning. Full grunil is fine too though, if you want the two extra gem slots.

Tamer key skills are Bolt/Jolt, your dodge, Whiplash, Heilang, Void Lightning, Trample, your flash/polethrust, and Absorb Heilang, arguably in that order.

Roar and Fearful Trembling are both super fun things that you'll be tempted to max, but are heavy point investments you should do after the rest because they have questionable use in PvP. Most people prefer Trembling, because it has some situational pvp use and gives great sustain in pve because it heals per target hit (even though the tooltip doesn't tell you that). Roar, on the other hand, leaves you super vulnerable and should pretty much never be cast in pvp unless you're fighting a group you massively outgear. It also gets harder and harder to use in pve when you get to the endgame stuff. You'll end up using Void Lightning instead because it guards, sucks enemies into a nice tight group for your bolt/jolt, and summons Heilang to you and sends him into a murderfury. It feels like poo poo when you first get it but it gets dramatically better with points. Keep the first tier of Roar no matter what you choose, because when you're fighting stuff you aren't scared of or have 200% black fury it's still amazing.

There's probably something else I'm forgetting but I can't get on my tamer atm to check.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 8, 2016

Goo P-Nut Sack
Feb 10, 2009

So far I've blown up 4 witch's earrings and 2 marks today :pwn:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
Is there a european goon presence for this game? I snagged one of the trial keys from that tweet and been having some fun since I haven't played an mmo in years, but the pubbie community seems relatively unchanged and terrible.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012
Been fumbling about on a Witch during the trial period so far, although still around Olvia since I'm throwing all my energy on Amity stuff when it isn't node unlocks. When should I be looking to join the guilds? Not exactly keen on getting one-shotted by a random level 50 guy we're at war at that just happened to be in the area, but I've read that it's best to join a guild early on for that free silver off salaries (other than being able to start contributing to a guild early on).

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

glug posted:

For someone with a casual amount of play time, don't look at alchemy.
For Processing, take all that wood you're workers are making, and turn it into planks. As you get higher level, (10, 20, some of the 5s) there will be quests your spirit can point you to which unlock new types of processing, for example turning planks into plywood. Once you're at the point that you're turning your trees into planks into plywood, you can send all that plywood to Trent, and have a worker there use the available woodworking station (with blackstone powder as well) to create Calpheon Wood Crates. Ship those in the warehouse, in bulk, from Trent->Calp->Velia->Ilya. Have an alt in Ilya who occasionally logs in to sell those crates from the warehouse to the nearby trader, when it's up around 130%, bargain first, and make a ton of money.

For casual play, that's prolly the easiest way to get your processing skill up and get paid while you do it.

I started on this tonight, connecting up all the nodes as a level 29 is an adventure (I bought a boat!). But unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a warehouse in Ilya that I can ship to. I have it connected to Velia, but I don't see a warehouse NPC there and I'm not getting an option to ship to it from other cities.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 07:20 on May 8, 2016

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Old man in his chair on the front porch of the building across from the illya trader

Simon Numbers
Sep 28, 2013

Karistar posted:

Been fumbling about on a Witch during the trial period so far, although still around Olvia since I'm throwing all my energy on Amity stuff when it isn't node unlocks. When should I be looking to join the guilds? Not exactly keen on getting one-shotted by a random level 50 guy we're at war at that just happened to be in the area, but I've read that it's best to join a guild early on for that free silver off salaries (other than being able to start contributing to a guild early on).

Even if you're in a guild you won't be able to be killed below level 45.

Unexpected posted:

Thanks.

A wizard with a horse is nearly unkillable as well as being able to output a lot of a damage, it's a bit of pay to win though getting the right skills on the horse.

Karistar
Jan 5, 2012

Simon Numbers posted:

Even if you're in a guild you won't be able to be killed below level 45.

Oh, that's good. At least I have time to accidentally jump off cliffs while half-asleep more before I'll get ganked while running in a random direction while half-asleep, then. I look forward to derping about like in Age of Wushu, except my ping isn't so terrible this time that I don't have to rely on something like spinning forever to win this time.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Horses are surprisingly resilient too. I was murdered off my level 22 conqueror horse by some archer just after saddling up to leave a daily area.

No big deal but I didn't want my horse to die. Fortunately when I came back after respawning it was still at half health. :toot:

Hobo Colossus
Aug 13, 2010

A gentleman and a scholar

Foxhound posted:

Is there a european goon presence for this game? I snagged one of the trial keys from that tweet and been having some fun since I haven't played an mmo in years, but the pubbie community seems relatively unchanged and terrible.

There's a ton of us EU goons in ParksAndRec.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
if you do the metric to us conversion there are about 4 euros in parks and rec

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Hobo Colossus posted:

There's a ton of us EU goons in ParksAndRec.

Cool. I'll see about joining up if I decide to stick around once the trial is up.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
So I got this thing and never really played it, I was doing other things. Should I get in this grand goon game of poopsocking and fish? I have been playing tree of savior which is good and fun but kind of want to do some pvp hit mans, but learning new mmos is sometimes effort and stuff.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Mostly my interest to check this game out is that two months in the thread count still goes up pretty quickly and thats kind of rare for non eve mmos, so maybe its a gold mine of fun that I'm missing

Asciana
Jun 16, 2008
It's pretty chill if you just want to gather and craft stuff.haven't done PvP yet though

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Got my cash shop hawk to level 10 earlier this week. His level 10 perk: 3% training exp. Not great, but I planned to fusion dance him with the event hawk anyway so I figure I'll just choose the other hawk's trait to carry over in the breeding.
Event hawk hit 10 today: 3% training exp, again. Praise RNJesus. Their T3 offspring will get a second trait though, I still have hope. Between +1 luck, +1 fishing, or 3% fishing exp, it's got a more than 50% shot at being good.

Time to fusion dance....

3% trading exp.

:suicide:

T1 had fishing. Bought another T1 the day they dropped the musa tokens. Because I didn't read.
Second bird: Trading xp. Merge: TIER 2 bird, Fishing xp.
Got freebird up to 10.. Trading xp.

$30 bird: Tier 3, Fishing, Trading.

Doc Cunado
Mar 16, 2009

glug posted:

T1 had fishing. Bought another T1 the day they dropped the musa tokens. Because I didn't read.

Still better than Tier 3, Fishing xp, Hunting xp.... On 2 birds :suicide:

Wilekat
Sep 24, 2007

Hit the soft cap on contribution points today (255) and hoo boy does getting more take some effort.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

glug posted:

Doc Cunado posted:

Still better than Tier 3, Fishing xp, Hunting xp.... On 2 birds :suicide:

Solidarity. :negative:

dabs violently
Jul 27, 2013

how are you guys levelling your pets so fast? i swear i have them out 24/7 and they're all still around 5 or 6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
Turn on their special abilities, it drains their food bar quicker. Also, it's wasting time to have them starving, since they only gain xp when fed.