Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Are you guys shaking your Strong Tone? I don't think I've ever had this described problem.

As for fuzzy primer, I've only gotten burned once. It was on a pretty big conversion project, and I wasn't able to strip and re-prime because of the materials I'd used. So maybe I'm a bit over-cautious... I'll pick up a bottle of that air/brush-on one for rainy days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I finally bought a bottle of Vallejo primer because I was tired of burning through all my regular black paint.

Is this stuff supposed to be really, really light on pigment? I feel like I'm giving my stuff a really inefficient wash.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Make sure you shake the hell out of it. I've always had good coverage with Vallejo primer, but it separates in the bottle quite a bit.

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Weirdo posted:

Fantastic. Is he going to be a dwarf berserker lord for Kings of War?

fwiw: If the army painter tone gets too watery it doesn't pool as nicely as some of the GW washes. Completely anecdotal of course, but it's a great cheap mucky shade if you haven't made your own yet (which will be my next step as my kickstarters roll in).

Yup, berserker lord with mount + Wings of Honeymaze. Magnetised, so I can transfer him back to the Hellbrokk to play Sveri Egilax as well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
It took me much longer than I'll ever admit to realise that the correct amount of yellow in a blonde hair recipe is none.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

After a short break from Warmachine and minis painting I came back, bought a Stormwall and just finished painting it up. (Siege is there for size reference)

I painted the rim of the base shortly after taking the pictures. This was my first real attempt at basing (more than the usually dirt and rocks) and weathering.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

sassassin posted:

It took me much longer than I'll ever admit to realise that the correct amount of yellow in a blonde hair recipe is none.

I've used tan/sand yellow in a layer a few times. Brown->tan yellow looks quite nice.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Do any of you guys have suggestions on shelf racks that would let me get more space for miniatures stacked on a bookshelf?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

DeadGame posted:

Do any of you guys have suggestions on shelf racks that would let me get more space for miniatures stacked on a bookshelf?

You want a stepped display rack

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

DeadGame posted:

Ikea

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Finished the Kingdom Death Dragon King.

The Dragon King and Phoenix

The Dragon King looms over his sacrifice and a band of survivors.

A Visionary confronts the Dragon King

Reubenesque Sandwich
Aug 1, 2006
Their flashing tongues, spitting out blood and poison.
Fun Shoe

DeadGame posted:

Most hardware stores or big box stores sell modular shelving units. (Home Depot, lowes, Costco, Walmart, and kitchen supply houses.)

What I did was buy three sets, and make two racks out of them. A typical unit is just shy of 6 feet and comes with five shelves. This gave me enough shelf pieces to have eight shelves for one and seven for the other. They cost around 70 bucks per five-shelf unit, so a little over 200 got me the setup I wanted.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I emailed ForgeWorld about their Nightlords colour scheme, and got this back;

"Forgeworld" posted:

NIGHT LORDS COLOUR SCHEME
1. The models were undercoated with GW Black Spray
2. The models were dry brushed with Rub and Buff Pewter, bringing the black undercoat upto a silver colour.
3. Tamaiya Clear Blue and Clear Red were mixed together to make a clear purple which was applied over the whole model in 3-4 very thin coats.
4. Once the model had dried, the whole thing was airbrushed with a layer of Auto Air colour Transparent Blue.
5. The Lightning strikes were painted on with Administratum Grey as a base coat. Then were the lightning strikes meet, it was highlighted with white.
6. Once the model had dried, it was protected with a coating of GW Purity Seal.

Has anyone used Rub & Buff before, and has any tips or tricks?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Yeast posted:

I emailed ForgeWorld about their Nightlords colour scheme, and got this back;

Has anyone used Rub & Buff before, and has any tips or tricks?

I'm surprised they're still allowed to put things like that down in writing now that they're a bit cosier with GW prime.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Their guides have always been like that, even the published books

The new paint range will slowly change that, but I don't think they've got direct replacements for everything yet

Kind of like when they started making their own weathering powders and the guides all gradually got updated

GW prime finally going all in with air brushing probably has a lot to do with their relationship with FW

Skarsnik fucked around with this message at 12:11 on May 10, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

Their guides have always been like that, even the published books

The new paint range will slowly change that, but I don't think they've got direct replacements for everything yet

Kind of like when they started making their own weathering powders and the guides all gradually got updated

They published paint guides using Tamiya stuff? Wow. Masterclass books or something?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

thats from imperial masterclass vol 2 and is only a small example, both books are full of it

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Awesome. I never bothered with the books because I assumed they'd just be WD-like lies about what was used.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They use all sorts of interesting stuff, like breaking open a water filter to use all the balls inside as rivets

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

dr_ether posted:

Finished the Kingdom Death Dragon King.

The Dragon King and Phoenix

The Dragon King looms over his sacrifice and a band of survivors.

A Visionary confronts the Dragon King

Kingdom Death, having run out of cheesecake ideas, turns to goatse for inspiration.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Nice ridiculously huge images.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

sassassin posted:

Nice ridiculously huge images.

Nice making GBS threads in a thread you dont appear to have posted a single model in?

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

dr_ether posted:

Finished Kingdom Death King's Man

Finished Kingdom Death Dragon Sacrifice Pinup (bit blurry need to try again)

Finished Kingdom Death Butcher

All the Kingdom Death Nemesis monsters.

dr_ether posted:

So, some finished images.

Kingdom Death first;
The Hand

The Watcher

Guildball next - Bonesaw for the Morticians team.

dr_ether posted:

Final shots of the two finished gangs, 2 evenings of painting for each. Using Chaos Cultists from Dark Vengeance.

Next up will be either some more Kingdom Death, or the Raging Heroes Jailbirds that will make an Escher gang.

Skarsnik posted:

Nice making GBS threads in a thread you dont appear to have posted a single model in?

How about having a look first.

(don't know why the images are broken in that older post).

dr_ether fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 10, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm not quite sure how you thought I was talking about you and not the guy I quoted

Your dragon thing is cool, good job

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Skarsnik posted:

I'm not quite sure how you thought I was talking about you and not the guy I quoted

Your dragon thing is cool, good job

Ah.... sorry. Apologies. And thanks. I know some people can neg on Kingdom Death, despite the point being "oh hey look at what I painted and I am proud of".

Edit: Though has revealed that my old posts have broken links now.... :/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Resizing images to manageable sizes is basic politeness.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Crosspost from the SG thread. WIP on my final five Necromunda Escher gangers. When I'm done with them, I can finally claim a finished project.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

sassassin posted:

Resizing images to manageable sizes is basic politeness.

They were all timg'd though? The post was fine, don't know what you are on about.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

They were all timg'd though? The post was fine, don't know what you are on about.

Browsers still load the full image size in timg.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What browser are you using? I haven't had that issue in Chrome, Firefox or Edge.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Chrome

Are you saying your browsers need to load the full image whenever you click on the thumbnail? I haven't had that issue.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
A college friend of mine is graduating and I painted up a little surprise gift for her.

Done up in our school colors too, as a kind of remembrance piece.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I think he's saying that regardless if the images are timg'd, they are still 4+ MB each, and have to load the weight of the entire image just to see a thumbnail. I'm guessing he's complaining about that fact? Most connections aren't going to see an issue, but slow (like my work PC) or mobile are going to take forever to load images.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

A college friend of mine is graduating and I painted up a little surprise gift for her.

Lovely piece. Really like your skin. Mind sharing the recipe?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think he's saying that regardless if the images are timg'd, they are still 4+ MB each, and have to load the weight of the entire image just to see a thumbnail. I'm guessing he's complaining about that fact? Most connections aren't going to see an issue, but slow (like my work PC) or mobile are going to take forever to load images.

Thank you.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

Goddang that's a lovely paintjob.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Lovely piece. Really like your skin. Mind sharing the recipe?

I'm going to do a bit of color-matching and guess-work here because I don't recall the exact colors I used here, but from what I remember:

RMS Leather Brown, followed by successive layers of watered-down colors: RMS Intense Brown, RMS Earth Brown, RMS Dark Highlight, RMS Blackened Brown. These colors were thinned to an almost waterpaint consistency on a wet pallet and applied like a glaze, pulling downwards so that the colors ended up in the darker recesses. I then followed up with a highlight of Intense Brown to bring the color back up, and finally Leather Brown for the highest points.

A lot of this I learned when I read this article on doing metallics, and I've been applying similar techniques for a while now, to some good results. For the most part I used the same style across the whole model, with the exception of the gold which got a normal wash and then a progressive series of highlights.

SRM posted:

Goddang that's a lovely paintjob.

I just wish the photo was better. It was a lovely day outside and I simply couldn't find a good spot out there to take a photo :sigh:

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

Crosspost from the SG thread. WIP on my final five Necromunda Escher gangers. When I'm done with them, I can finally claim a finished project.

These are looking great. Mega jealous you even have some.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

dr_ether posted:

These are looking great. Mega jealous you even have some.

Thanks! I was lucky enough to get the starter back in the day when NM was actually a thing. The remainder I was able to get through trades and a few (probably overpriced) Ebay purchases (looking at you, plasma Heavy...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished up my Contemptor from Betrayal at Calth! It's a breeze to assemble; kind of curious why they didn't make a proper mutlipart kit out of it with more options. Oh well!

And a Word Bearers helmet, on the ground where they belong: