Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

COOL CORN posted:

Wanna solo that quest 12 handed :getin:

I legit laughed out loud.
I'm going with one buddy so I'm sure we'll coordinate some, but my current plan is to start working on a really generic deck or two that don't rely on any uniques.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Merauder posted:

I'm so ready to start playing Baratheon.

He can be Bannered into Targaryen. "Rise Ser Barristan!"

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

PaybackJack posted:

He can be Bannered into Targaryen. "Rise Ser Barristan!"

Story thematic, I like it. Can a Targ/Stag deck support Dany + Selmy? What other Baratheon cards make it into that list? Lords/Ladies seem like the obvious choice for Selmy to protect, so I guess Selyse for in turn protecting Selmy from Tears, Mel + R'hllor stuff for kneel control, Renly for Targ cost reduction I guess? Better suited just going straight Dominance control maybe, with Gendry, Painted Table, Iron Throne stuff?

Sounds interesting. Maybe my next deck when True Steel drops!

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Barristan is crazy good. Having a Stark/Baratheon with a ton of Lord/Ladies would be a pretty neat deck to play that with IMO.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Merauder posted:

Story thematic, I like it. Can a Targ/Stag deck support Dany + Selmy? What other Baratheon cards make it into that list? Lords/Ladies seem like the obvious choice for Selmy to protect, so I guess Selyse for in turn protecting Selmy from Tears, Mel + R'hllor stuff for kneel control, Renly for Targ cost reduction I guess? Better suited just going straight Dominance control maybe, with Gendry, Painted Table, Iron Throne stuff?

Sounds interesting. Maybe my next deck when True Steel drops!

Maybe. He has the same problem as Mirri has though - 7-drops who aren't Noble Cause-able can be rough to get into play. Especially if you aren't running a full suite of that faction's reducers.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Maybe. He has the same problem as Mirri has though - 7-drops who aren't Noble Cause-able can be rough to get into play. Especially if you aren't running a full suite of that faction's reducers.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. It's heavy enough putting in one 7-drop with Dany, but two might be too rich. Forces stuff like Pentoshi I think, which I never feel good about.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Merauder posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. It's heavy enough putting in one 7-drop with Dany, but two might be too rich. Forces stuff like Pentoshi I think, which I never feel good about.

I've seen people use Pentoshi in my meta and it never works out well. It gives you're opponent a great buff as well, and heaven help you if they use naval superiority which happened to someone at our store tournament so not only did the opponent get the +3 but he got 0 zero money in return. I'd just play banners instead.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Fallen from Favor and Calling the Banners seems like the top big money econ cards available.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

GrandpaPants posted:

Fallen from Favor and Calling the Banners seems like the top big money econ cards available.

Yeah, I run 2 Falling From Favor's in my Stark deck. Helps me run a high cost deck that includes Robb, Blackfish, Eddard, and new Cat. I've never really come across money issues unless I've hit a well placed Naval Superiority.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Mechanically Targaryen is kind of terrible in my book and adding Ser Barristan isn't really great, but he was a rad character on the show and thematically his ability is perfect for protecting Dany.

GrandpaPants posted:

Fallen from Favor + Summer(+ Bran) is some pretty hot stuff.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

PaybackJack posted:

Fallen from Favor + Summer(+ Bran) is some pretty hot stuff.

Do you think it's worth it to use that Direwolf plot to draw and play Summer? Nymeria might be a good pick too.

frgildan
Apr 6, 2005

I went some place mum and everyday I woke up in that place and told myself I'm alive and I was.

Azran posted:

Okay, nevermind, LOTR LCG is amazing.

12 players in a single quest :allears:

Someones getting stuck with Tatics Dori. I do not envy that person.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I know some people were discussing the worst Treachery card a while back. It's Local Trouble.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think in the core loving wargs are worse for me than any treachery. I feel like I never hit a shadow effect on them, so they just hit me for 3 every round while adding a permanent two threat every questing phase and I never have a chance to attack back as they're already back sitting in staging.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
In Escape from Dol Guldur, I cannot just drop the objectives after the second stage, right? I have to either "overwload" a hero with restricted attachments or play a Miner of the Iron Hills out to do so.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fat Samurai posted:

In Escape from Dol Guldur, I cannot just drop the objectives after the second stage, right? I have to either "overwload" a hero with restricted attachments or play a Miner of the Iron Hills out to do so.

I don't even think you can use Miner of the Iron Hills, since they're not "Condition" attachments. Overloading an Axe or Plate should work, though.

e: Or hoping for a lucky Driven By Shadow / Cavern Guardian

Foehammer fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 7, 2016

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Fat Samurai posted:

Miner of the Iron Hills can't get rid of them since the objective cards don't have the condition trait, but I think you can get rid of them by just attaching a third restricted attachment on your hero and then choosing to get rid of the objective.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

frgildan posted:

Someones getting stuck with Tatics Dori. I do not envy that person.

I love tactics Dori. There just isn't a lot of defense buff, especially in tactics, and if you keep him up you have a choice between 1 super defense or 2 ok defenses.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I have both Android Netrunner and Warhammer Quest ACG sitting on my shelf not being used at the moment.

If anyone wants to trade for LOTR LCG stuff, or for PayPal moneys, shoot me a PM.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Hey just a rules check- is LOTR like Netrunner in that cards that instruct you to look at top X of deck and play one which causes you to do something with the top card of the deck have cascading triggers? So if you're told to look at top 2 of encounter and pick one, and you get a guarded clue and a chump enemy you can play the clue knowing that the enemy will get attached to it?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'm getting the LOTR dividers printed, but they're horizontal, and all the card boxes I seem to find are for storing cards vertically. Can someone point me toward a good horizontally-stored card box?

edit-- preferably one that holds sleeved cards
edit2-- screw it, I'm just gonna go buy some foam core and channel out my game box.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 23:49 on May 7, 2016

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Jesus Christ the Flight from Moria scenario with 4 players is absurd. :stare: 1st try we gave up in the first round because the quest phase revealed 12 encounter cards (Staging + A Wrong Turn + Massing in the Deep), 2nd try wasn't much better. We'll try again with less players and I'll try to fit Eleanor in somehow.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Hey just a rules check- is LOTR like Netrunner in that cards that instruct you to look at top X of deck and play one which causes you to do something with the top card of the deck have cascading triggers? So if you're told to look at top 2 of encounter and pick one, and you get a guarded clue and a chump enemy you can play the clue knowing that the enemy will get attached to it?

Depends on the wording. If it's look at two and play on and put the other back on top of th encounter deck, then it would work like you said. If it's look at the top two play one and discard the other, then the enemy would be discarded. Also depends on if it says reveal or put into play. Surge/Guarded/When revelaed only happen when the card is revealed not put into play by card effects.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
A trip to Wal-Mart, $5, a dull-rear end X-acto knife, and some time later, I have a decent storage setup!

Encounter cards on the left, the deck I'm using on the right, and Player cards are in UltraPro sleeves, not pictured.

The best find was that cylinder thing, it unscrews into 4 parts!

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Will you have room for your divider tabs?

A thing came in the mail today. :homebrew:

radlum
May 13, 2013
I decided to try Journey through the Anduin today; I was crushed twice, once with Leadership, the second time with Tactics. Any suggestions for a newbie player that only has the Carrock and Rosgobel Adventure Packs (besides the core set)?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Edited for clarity:

If you're going to solo a single sphere, solo with the Spirit Core. It's the strongest of the mono spheres in the core set. It is possible to solo Anduin with Spirit Core, not confident about the others. Tactics Core is pretty much the weakest solo since it can't quest much at all.

Otherwise, make a two-sphere deck that has the strongest aspects of whatever your strategy is. I haven't done this so I can't give advice.

My personal preference is to play with two decks at once (ie two handed or whatever you want to call it). More players generally makes it easier. You can do two mono sphere decks or whatever you like. Just being able to have one deck focus on one aspect of the game and its spheres strengths while the other takes on other parts. Like a Spirit for questing lets a Tactics deck focus mainly on combat.

Amoeba102 fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 8, 2016

Hauki
May 11, 2010

radlum posted:

I decided to try Journey through the Anduin today; I was crushed twice, once with Leadership, the second time with Tactics. Any suggestions for a newbie player that only has the Carrock and Rosgobel Adventure Packs (besides the core set)?

I also just started, but after losing to that quest the first few times, I've beaten it handily several times with different decks since last night playing solo/one-handed.
Don't use the premade single sphere decks - feel free to look at other people's ideas for core decks, hall of beorn/path of beorn is a good blog to look at if you want two dual sphere decklists replete with thought process and an account of the gameplay. There are other perfectly viable core-only solo decks (or pairs of decks if you want to play two-handed).
Have a plan in mind for dealing with the hill troll and mulligan for it aggressively. Depending on starting heroes/threat, you're probably going to be forced to encounter it on the 3rd or 4th turn.
Once the troll is dealt with, don't necessarily rush into phase two. Build up allies, etc. so you have a shot at keeping pace with the increased pace of the encounter deck.
While you don't have to encounter enemies you reveal during phase two, it's important to keep pace with what you're revealing; you don't want too much backlog in the staging area or you'll either get wrecked by threat or wrecked by a pile of enemies all engaging at once in phase three. Keep in mind entering phase three will reveal two additional encounter cards immediately, so try to leave some room for error for extra enemies/treacheries that turn.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

I'm trying my hand at deckbuilding after playing with the decks from Hall of Beorn, and failing spectacularly. 0/5 at Anduin. I'm using 2 Cores and Hunt for Gollum stuff. Here are my last attempts (sorta, quantities are probably wrong).

There are a few things that work pretty well when I get the card draw I want:

- The first deck can produce both types of resource very reliably with Song of Kings and Celebrian's Stone. It's easy to get the Song I need with the Minstrel. There are 2 Horns of Gondor and 3 Stewards of Gondor, which should cover resource generation.
- Denethor+ Protector of Lorien+ 1 Discard can block the Troll, and I can heal the 2 wounds somewhat reliably.
- I should be able to cancel Treacheries reliably as needed with 3 Test of Wills and 2 Dwarven Tombs.
- There is as much card draw as I can manage with the cards I have available to get to my clutch cards.
- I can reuse heroes with Unexpected Courages and Westfold Horse-Breaker.
- 6 Gandalfs, 3 Sneak Attacks.
- There should be plenty of Willpower around, and Legolas + Blade of Gondolin place quest tokens.

Basically the idea of the deck is card draw + resource generation to get an army going fast.

The obvious problem is high threat. The Troll is engaging on turn 2 with the Lea/Spirit deck. Removing Aragorn for Gloin seems a bad idea, and each time I've tried Eleanor I've been producing too little will to make progress. On the other deck (28 threat), I feel that Bilbo is too fragile to be facing 3 Necromancer's Reach and 3 Evil Storms, plus he only gives me 1 extra threat over Beravor. And as much as I like Thalin paired with Gimli I'm not sure what is he going to provide besides swatting Eastern Crows out of the sky.

The other big problem is that I can only deal with the Troll with Forest Snare, and it's engaging on turn 2. I have several time delaying tactics: Denethor+Protector of Lorien, Feints or Blocking with Gandalf, but there is no way to damage it quick out of 2 Gandalfs. My highest damage characters (Aragorn and Legolas) need backup or Mark of the Dunedain to even scratch its hide. But this is going to happen with any combination I can think of in the Core set besides Wounded Gimli and a Dwarven Axe.

I have been repeatedly screwed by the Encounter deck (Highlights: have 6 cards that award VPs out by turn 2. Draw none of the 6 types of cards that boost will/place tokens in locations and end up with 7 locations in the staging area. Get 2 Goblin Snipers in the staging area by turn 2. Have a Warg attack and retread 3 times in a row...), but still, I feel the decks are not working.

Honestly, I think the best approach is to cull 5-10 cards from each deck, 50 card deck rule be damned. The other change I can think of is getting Bilbo and Eleanor in instead of Eowyn and Beravor, which puts both decks at 27 threat. Four turns to engage is way better than 2. If I commit Bilbo and Eleanor (usually I would commit Eowyn keep Beravor in reserve for the draw) I lose 2 will and 1 card draw (which will also go to the first player, instead of going to the player of my choice), and Unexpected Courage'd Beravor is very useful to have around (more than poor Bilbo). Plus Necromancer's reach are hitting 2 people instead of 1.

Ideas?

EDIT: Also, when readying heroes, can I use them twice in any given phase (attack twice, quest twice, etc..)? Or it's just quest and combat, or defend and attack, or exhaust for the action and then do something else?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 8, 2016

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Can only quest once. Can defend or attack different enemies.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I beat Conflict at the Carrock last night two-handed using Brand Son of Bain! Stick Support of the Eagles on him, get an Eagles of the Misty Mountains loaded up with a few one-and-out Eagle allies, and he turns into a solid sniper. He's still clearly worse than Legolas in almost every situation, but it's fun to break away from using the same set of heroes all the time.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Fat Samurai posted:

EDIT: Also, when readying heroes, can I use them twice in any given phase (attack twice, quest twice, etc..)? Or it's just quest and combat, or defend and attack, or exhaust for the action and then do something else?

You can only commit a hero to the quest a single time, even if you are able to immediately ready them.

You can keep attacking as long as you have readying effects, but remember that you can only declare a single attack against each enemy, so you couldn't attack, ready, and attack the same enemy again.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

Thanks for the clarification.

Fat Samurai posted:

The other change I can think of is getting Bilbo and Eleanor in instead of Eowyn and Beravor, which puts both decks at 27 threat. Four turns to engage is way better than 2. If I commit Bilbo and Eleanor (usually I would commit Eowyn keep Beravor in reserve for the draw) I lose 2 will and 1 card draw (which will also go to the first player, instead of going to the player of my choice), and Unexpected Courage'd Beravor is very useful to have around (more than poor Bilbo). Plus Necromancer's reach are hitting 2 people instead of 1.

And as soon as I do this, I breeze though the quest. Ended up with 6-7 allies per side and placing 2-3 Tokens in every location each time I quested.

Still, I almost finished the encounter deck twice. Part of it is was not drawing any Gandalf, but I feel the decks are seriously lacking firepower, both Will and Attack.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I beat the first quest with the starter Leadership deck on OCTGN, so I tried Lore and got stomped after Hummerhorns killed all my allies in one shot. I think I was relying on my heroes' stats too much and neglecting their abilities.

Edit: Won the second try. Hooray for my adaptable human brain.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 9, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

https://ringsdb.com/deck/view/7962

Tried to cobble together a hobbit deck from a couple different sources. The idea is to keep your threat super low (I don't think I've broken 30) and pull guys one at a time so Sam can tank them and your allies can kill them off; with a shitload of willpower to get past the stuff in the staging area. It seems really draw order dependent though- pipes and smoke rings especially but there's lots of stuff that you may not want right now. Direct damage is also a problem, as are sieges since there's not a ton of defense other than Sam. If you have to pull tough enemies early bad things happen. Might need more card draw but I always feel I don't have enough draw after Netrunner.

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 9, 2016

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

http://m.imgur.com/a/zPgOG

Tyene Sand :stare:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So, what are your lotr storage solutions? I've got a bunch of old card boxes but they're full of well, cards. I'd like to keep it inside the core box, and I've been looking at either purpose-made inserts like Go7 or broken token or just making something out of foamcore. I was also looking at the horizontal card dividers that were linked a while back and think I want to print up a set for myself, or at least the labeled encounter dividers. Since I'm thinking about using those anyways, I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of the included dividers in any of the purpose-made wooden inserts. I've also never done my own foam insert before, so is it possible to just divide it up into three equal channels running the length of the box, or would I need some kind of cross-brace to keep things from shifting? If I did that, I'd also have to add a space for tokens and threat dials I guess.

Note that currently I'm sleeving everything in KMC perfects. Down the road I might rethink and just sleeve player cards, but for now I prefer just sleeving the lot. I'm not too sold on the binder idea for player cards because I don't want to have to shift or reorganize every time I get a new pack, and I also don't want to leave big gaps everywhere.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Yes! Sand Snakes putting in work again!

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...

Hauki posted:

I'm not too sold on the binder idea for player cards because I don't want to have to shift or reorganize every time I get a new pack, and I also don't want to leave big gaps everywhere.

There shouldn't be any shifting involved, just sort by set, sphere, type, name. You'll have gaps but it's super comfortable to find your cards quickly after online deckbuilding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Hauki posted:

So, what are your lotr storage solutions? I've got a bunch of old card boxes but they're full of well, cards. I'd like to keep it inside the core box, and I've been looking at either purpose-made inserts like Go7 or broken token or just making something out of foamcore. I was also looking at the horizontal card dividers that were linked a while back and think I want to print up a set for myself, or at least the labeled encounter dividers. Since I'm thinking about using those anyways, I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of the included dividers in any of the purpose-made wooden inserts. I've also never done my own foam insert before, so is it possible to just divide it up into three equal channels running the length of the box, or would I need some kind of cross-brace to keep things from shifting? If I did that, I'd also have to add a space for tokens and threat dials I guess.

Note that currently I'm sleeving everything in KMC perfects. Down the road I might rethink and just sleeve player cards, but for now I prefer just sleeving the lot. I'm not too sold on the binder idea for player cards because I don't want to have to shift or reorganize every time I get a new pack, and I also don't want to leave big gaps everywhere.

Binders are awesome, all my player cards are in a binder sorted by sphere, then type, then set. I keep my encounter cards in Ultra Pro team bags and then keep each set in the deluxe box for each cycle.