Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oh, and I saw a dot to click on in this video during the Connections movie (the first one). Where is left as an exercise to others, because where's the fun in only one guy figuring it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Oh btw: on a gamepad, hold R2 while drawing to draw at doublespeed.

WHAAAAT.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Try to change the direction of the rotating thing so it faces the window you used to solve that tower door puzzle. Maybe there's something on it from that angle? you still got a door that appears unlockable in the village, and I bet there's a another movie clip in there.

GJ on the town and on the enviro puzzles.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
I'm going to lay off the spoilers for a while, my last post was enough about the theatre room and how dumb it can be, save that for our next video room session (if there is one). Or for if you guys want to do a round-up of some environmental puzzles and stuff, as some of those are convoluted enough that I don't think I could help complaining about them. So let's get to talking about progress you made.

You got to the colour room! It seems so hard to get that sound puzzle when you find a soundproofed room with a broken speaker, it's hard to believe the answer is as simple as drawing the same series of pitches on both boards. And it's just as simple to forget which notes are which sized dots. But you got there! And yeah, the solution to the two colour puzzles are as you surmised: There are a few different colours in there but under different R, G or B lights, different ones show up. You have to figure out what the original colours were (or, at least, which ones belong to which groups), and then solve that complete puzzle as if it were unfiltered, under natural light. And you guys ran through the greenhouse easily enough. You'll manage it.

And you figured out the red flower puzzle that surprised you at the start of the game! You have conquered that, you can conquer the water temple, you can conquer the mountain. Probably. Right?

Environment puzzles like the ones on the front of the monastery can be pretty cool and there are a huge number of them that are obvious in retrospect, especially ones where there is such an obvious circle that your brain doesn't make the connection until you start staring at things too hard and try to solve things through sheer force of will rather than actual thinking. I found I was more likely to ignore a full circle if it looked like a deliberate part of the scenery, but when I saw two thirds of a circle or a botched, incomplete circle, it'd stick out and make me a lot more suspicious...

I think you got all the ones on the front of that building, but there's a good way to check: Go have a look at the nearest obelisk, which for those is in sight of where you stood, just by the jungle area. They show the (sometimes unrecognisable) image you're supposed to draw, and will light up all the ones you've done. There's a logic to how they're displayed, too, but it's sometimes a touch misleading. Generally it's not too bad though.

And you guys wanted to know about the rotating panel? Well, it actually has two purposes but you can't use it for anything yet. It'll be clear what it does when you can use it, but you don't need to worry about it quite yet. The only major section you haven't done yet is the Desert Ruins, and then there's the Mountain to do.

I did it! No spoilers. Okay, some hints here and there, but no sp-

Bruceski posted:

Oh, and I saw a dot to click on in this video during the Connections movie (the first one). Where is left as an exercise to others, because where's the fun in only one guy figuring it out?

Oh, god damnit. Did you really see it? Well, there's actually two. There is one for the doorway, and this is the one for the frame.

TheDarkFlame fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 4, 2016

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

Oh, god damnit.

I saw one of them It's a bit odd to talk about things since I *did* get through the game (well, most of the way before my eyes rebelled on me in some future puzzles) but didn't do almost any of the environment puzzles so I need to be careful to differentiate between "giving hints" and "I just saw this!" participation.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I think what threw them off was that usually the starting circles are solid colors (so for instance in the desert you need to use the sun glare to fix them). I think these are the only ones where Jon Blow patterned the lines so they match the video. Also there's actually THREE, they just haven't found the third connecting line.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

whitehelm posted:

I think what threw them off was that usually the starting circles are solid colors (so for instance in the desert you need to use the sun glare to fix them). I think these are the only ones where Jon Blow patterned the lines so they match the video. Also there's actually THREE, they just haven't found the third connecting line.

I think maybe, since this is the one they back up a good distance for, the patterns might blend into one colour like with that piece of farm equipment way back when.
And aww, I thought the one for the frame might be that little half-circle of background his hair makes up against the edge of the video towards the start. Probably way too small in retrospect.

Oh my god the stairs

Since you didn't go and visit the spot Ironsaber pointed out, I'll go ahead and post what I saw in video 24 to entice you. Eyes on the sky!

Not sure what to do about the grey part though. Maybe backing up to Ironsaber's rock gets the sun behind it, lightening it up or something?

FishOnAPiano fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 4, 2016

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It didn't take me very long to notice the branch on the ground but it DID take me a good while to figure out how to orient it. I was convinced that it was only 1 1/2 squares long on that one side and therefore had a hell of a time placing it on the grid. As for the color greenhouse in the the village, those puzzles are some of the toughest in the game in my opinion. I had to take screenshots of each puzzle under each color of light to even begin to figure out what the solution might be. I think I spent a good couple hours on the starburst one alone.

Definitely go back and solve the desert temple puzzles! You're at 10/11 lasers, you can't give up now!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FPzero posted:

It didn't take me very long to notice the branch on the ground but it DID take me a good while to figure out how to orient it. I was convinced that it was only 1 1/2 squares long on that one side and therefore had a hell of a time placing it on the grid. As for the color greenhouse in the the village, those puzzles are some of the toughest in the game in my opinion. I had to take screenshots of each puzzle under each color of light to even begin to figure out what the solution might be. I think I spent a good couple hours on the starburst one alone.

Did you take notes, or try to combine them in your head? I found it pretty easy when I wrote all the variations down on the same grid.

EDIT: for folks trying to play along at home, I just transcribed it from the videos. Rather fun when they're swinging back and forth to find a frame where I could get each part, and then there was spotting the dots/starbursts, as I've kvetched before I have trouble resolving them even in good lighting.
http://i.imgur.com/jRVYkeb.jpg Spoilered and not hotlinked on general principle, I haven't put in the actual solution or anything.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 4, 2016

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

About the Environmental puzzles - you can use the obelisks to find where they are since the puzzle is on the side the symbol faces.

That Bridge puzzle - It took me AGES to find the right spot for it - since I saw the circle on my first playthough back in march and only completed it saturday while replaying. (I am doing the mountain stuff now...and I am confused again.)

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

FishOnAPiano posted:

I think maybe, since this is the one they back up a good distance for, the patterns might blend into one colour like with that piece of farm equipment way back when.
And aww, I thought the one for the frame might be that little half-circle of background his hair makes up against the edge of the video towards the start. Probably way too small in retrospect.

Oh my god the stairs

Since you didn't go and visit the spot Ironsaber pointed out, I'll go ahead and post what I saw in video 24 to entice you. Eyes on the sky!

Not sure what to do about the grey part though. Maybe backing up to Ironsaber's rock gets the sun behind it, lightening it up or something?
Subtle.

I wouldn't spend time deliberately trying to solve this env puzzle - It's much easier if you happen upon the part of the solution not pictured here, then work backwards.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
There's still that locked door in the ship wreck. I believe you can solve it by now.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I think the key to that one puzzle you have left in the video area is that you have to vertically flip the positions of the orange L's. So imagine the upper-right L in the lower right and lower-right L in the upper right. That should leave six square sections in total that you can pretty easily cut out of the shape.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
It's time for part 26! The last laser is ours... We're so close, maybe!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Congrats on the reflection/glare puzzles place, that's definitely the sort of puzzle I don't care enough to try and solve. Absolutely looking forward to some Ju-On next time around!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

pedrovay2003 posted:

It's time for part 26! The last laser is ours... We're so close, maybe!

Just for fun, can you use the reflective panel to aim the laser at the grey cloud?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The first puzzles of the episode in white light, for anyone having transcription problems.
https://windmill.thefifthmatt.com/1jwzh08
https://windmill.thefifthmatt.com/dcnm270

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 03:57 on May 7, 2016

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

A couple of things:

1. It's going to take several updates to go through the endgame, you're not done in the next one - that's for sure.
2. That secret ending you're talking about - don't do it yet. True, it can be reached during the first five minutes of the game, but if you don't do it straight away it gets locked off for most of the game, but can be unlocked again through something you can find.
3. By the end of this update you are literally within steps to figuring out the grey cloud, but you aren't quite thinking about it in the right way.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

You guys should also grab all the film things.
Also make sure to go back down to the bottom of the ruins of the reflection puzzles. Now that the elevator is out of the way, you can probably see what was behind it. Typical metroidvania puzzle.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I think you should go back to the laser-reflecting sundial thing and look towards the windmill.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
YOU FINALLY FOUND THE CLOUD PUZZLE I WAS HINTING AT ALL THIS TIME :supaburn:

Okay, here's one more to chew on if you're so inclined.

Go to the entry yard where you started the game.

Search the yard for a stone pillar...

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015

IronSaber posted:

Please don't do this. It involves stuff you're not supposed to have seen yet.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

IronSaber posted:

Seconding the don't do this. In fact, if you've already looked behind the spoiler space try to forget what it says for now.

After you've seen the game's ending, though, it may be worth it to walk around and look at things with the knowledge of what you had to do to reach it.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

IronSaber posted:

Holy poo poo‽ Looks like there's a clever puzzle here, but no idea if it ties into the other puzzles that make this sound that I couldn't figure out...

This spoiler is for people who are done playing the Witness. OP, do not read:
Did you guys have an easy time finding the extra puzzle world at the bottom of the mountain, vice the traditional ending path? Ie looking under the cube. I accidentally found it online, but feel like I wouldn't have found it otherwise. It's amazing in that it opened up a whole new set of puzzles and audio logs, but it would have been more rewarding to discover it myself. I suppose the solution is to trace the wire to the top. I was able to solve all the puzzles I found there (except the ones that seems to be related to the one in the post I quoted...) including the music box relatively easy, but unlocking the area seemed cosmic.

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 7, 2016

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I was wondering about that mirror, I'm glad it finally paid off.

And it provides some neat, uh, geographical variety? It shines a laser on the mountain from a direction you really couldn't get one, right? Because the laser's "coming" from somewhere out at sea after it hits that reflective surface.

Shaded Spriter
Mar 27, 2010

Couple of hints for environmental puzzles hints.

The environmental puzzle in the water part. You were in the right position for it at 13:30.

On the laser rotator. check to see if you can get the laser to hit anything else.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
Oh come on, let them mull over it for a while. It'll be fun! :v:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

The mirror confused the hell out of me for ages. In games, if something exists, there is a reason. A hidden path has to lead to something interesting. A high point has to give a good view of something important (or the developer's favourite piece of scenery). A given item has a purpose. Risk has to have a reward, choices have to make a difference, and the path that actually matters can wait until everything else is solved and it's the only option remaining. Video game logic. So everything matters in some way (perspectives, pathways, hidden puzzles) and then you have this mirror. The mirror exists to reflect the laser to the mountain. Why is the laser not pointing at the mountain? Because there is a mirror to reflect it. It's kind of circular, and the mirror doesn't present another challenge in any way, so both things seem to be redundant. Why even have the mirror turn? It's another puzzle, of course it is, it's all puzzles.

SSNeoman posted:

You guys should also grab all the film things.

You mean the six hexagonal video puzzles? Bad news: One is a bastard. We know/suspect that one is behind the ship door, which is doable in a way, sure, but another one of the film hexagons is hidden behind a challenge that requires you to first beat the game and it is not something you can be methodical about. I think they can, if they try, beat the game, but I don't think they will be cracking that door open. Especially for the sake of the LP, I would rather give them the answer to the hexagon puzzle than force them to run that gauntlet. And even then, that video isn't exactly LP-friendly. They can get into the right area and see all the stuff there, though, which might be cool. Some thematically neat audiologs and stuff too, but if we don't get there I entirely understand. We do need to do the special ending too, but as stated before that can be found easily enough. No rush.

IronSaber posted:

Ok, this one does have a neat trick but we're going to have to work our way up to that. If you're going to pass out locations let's start with something less obtuse and confusing. There's even some they could try right in the starting area, which would be less ridiculous (and only one/two that would be more so). Or you could ask them to go boating, let's say from the town dock to the symmetry dock. Or get them to check out the front and back of the boat and see what they can see.

Or, if you want to really confuse them and then give them an answer that really doesn't help them in any way, you could tell them to examine the pond. If you want to know how to examine the pond, check out the map the boat gives you. Anything look familiar?

Oh, and question for people who have completed the game: How hard did you find it to actually get into the mountain? I found one solution quickly and then after some time I had to go and do other things because it just wasn't working out. I came back a day or two later and managed to find the other two.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

TheDarkFlame posted:

Oh, and question for people who have completed the game: How hard did you find it to actually get into the mountain? I found one solution quickly and then after some time I had to go and do other things because it just wasn't working out. I came back a day or two later and managed to find the other two.
Ie the puzzle around the statues feet? Straightforward. Finding the hidden part of it, as I alluded to before, eluded me!

EllipsisBreak
Mar 1, 2015

TheDarkFlame posted:

My experience was similar. I just couldn't find one of the viewpoints. In retrospect I don't know how I missed it so many times.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
It's interesting watching other people playing this, having recently platinumed the game on PS4.

Has anyone else found it hard to motivate themselves to solve the remaining panels and environmental puzzles after "finishing" the game? It's an odd feeling, because until I did finish it, The Witness was literally all I could play for a couple of weeks non-stop. Once I got that final trophy, though... nothing.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Montalvo posted:

It's interesting watching other people playing this, having recently platinumed the game on PS4.

Has anyone else found it hard to motivate themselves to solve the remaining panels and environmental puzzles after "finishing" the game? It's an odd feeling, because until I did finish it, The Witness was literally all I could play for a couple of weeks non-stop. Once I got that final trophy, though... nothing.
You're not supposed to grind it to death! Let it be.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
That's what I figure. I might run around and do one final pass at some point, to find any environmental puzzles I've missed; or the last video panel.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 27 is up! I think we did a good amount of stuff in this episode. Also, another video!

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

drat I thought for sure my idea would work. Well okay I guess the point of those little holes in the ground is that you should kind of check the general area around those. It's gotta be between the elevator and the windmill. Though it looks like all you'll get is a shortcut so hmm.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

Very excited for the next couple of videos, but for extremely mixed reasons. I hope this continues to at least the point I have in mind!

The Taxman fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 11, 2016

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I think those shortcuts were pointing towards (coming from) the mountain? (I didn't really search for those in my playthrough, so I don't know if I'm actually right)

:drat: That cloud. This game.
And for once Blow chose a video without actually cutting out important parts from the context. I'm impressed.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Omobono posted:

I think those shortcuts were pointing towards (coming from) the mountain? (I didn't really search for those in my playthrough, so I don't know if I'm actually right)

You're right. You can't access those until after you've opened the mountain.

The switch inside the windmill doesn't change the direction, it just turns it on or off.

The perspective on those statue puzzles is very finicky - if you've got something that's only just blocked off, it's probably worth moving a step or two sideways to see if that lets you use that path.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

The mountaintop is one of those puzzles you can't simply take screenshots of and doodle solutions to, it's something you really have to mull over in-game. You can kind of find answers to it just by trying different angles and seeing where you can go. It took me a while to get the first one, I thought I'd succeeded and then saw the other two yellow lines. A couple days later I came back and did them, but that first solution was a frustrating moment of not-quite achievement.

I'm not going to tell you where those shortcuts come from, but I am going to tell you I found three doors that would lead to it, and then spent over an hour, scouring the desert, the quarry, the monastery area and the town, trying to find another way into the drat thing. Then gave up and found it much later after I'd forgotten where I was going.

I think this lecture/interview is my favourite video, because it's not so tedious to watch, it's interesting, it's got a sense of humour about it, it explains itself really well, and it tackles the subject of religion and science without being venomous and condescending, which is a big issue in that kind of discussion. Other videos are slow, irritating, or have goddamn puzzles hidden inside them.

I feel like Peter has been reading more than the acceptable amount of spoilers. Not only does he know about the secret timed challenge ending, he immediately tried to look for something on the other sides of the box.

Also, regarding the special ending: I'm willing to give you guys a hint on where to find it, as long as you don't actually do it until you beat the game, mostly because I'm pretty sure you'll either have the exact same reaction as me, or completely the opposite reaction, and either would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

I hope we get another boat video, Pete's reactions to the environmental puzzles continue to be great and there's probably like a dozen left on the boat alone. I forget, did you ever get the one on the outside of the greenhouse? You ran by it on the way up the mountain.

I'd also be down for a mini-LP of Journey, if you guys wanted something chill to do between larger LPs.

• Locked thread