Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Overwined posted:

In other news, holy poo poo I am playing the game of my life right now in an OGS tournament game against a 6k. I am 12k. I'm playing well and keeping up with him and he's super aggressive and has been trying to shut me down from the get-go. Right now he just forced a 3- (or 4-) step ko that I'm currently on the good side of. The ko is something he forced to make an invasion live, but I think I can take the 2 or 3 free moves and get more points elsewhere while he tries to live. It's super complicated and easily the most difficult game I've ever played.

I'll link to it once it's done. I would love feedback on it if anyone is willing.

So this game is winding down. According to the KGS score-o-matic, I am 4.5 points behind, but I have and think I can keep sente for the next half dozen moves or so. I'm pretty sure if it all goes well for me I can win by 0.5! Never has anxiety been so drawn out for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
u jelly?

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I thought that was jonasd.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Yep that's me

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i played a pro!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

totino boy posted:

i played a pro!

Grats! Was it Hajin Lee? She came to visit my campus this week and I entered a drawing to play in a simul against her but I didn't get lucky :(

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

giogadi posted:

Grats! Was it Hajin Lee? She came to visit my campus this week and I entered a drawing to play in a simul against her but I didn't get lucky :(

no, i did meet her though (see above pics) but she didnt play any games, just a brief q&a. it was this workshop with Li Hai. There ended up being only three of us playing him at once, the other two were only a bit stronger than me and we took 4 handicap each. I felt like i was ahead up until late in the midgame which was a shock, then i lost a giant group and resigned and balance was restored haha. It was really awesome, mostly cause I learned I was not intimidated, i didnt feel afraid to make mistakes, and if i can play a pro without feeling afraid then I can play anyone!

another thing that was really cool was that 'hand talk' is a true thing. the guy barely spoke any english, yet he didnt really need to. i understood all the variations he was showing and what he was trying to explain cause, its go. he did have an interpreter when needed though. very cool experience

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

totino boy posted:

no, i did meet her though (see above pics) but she didnt play any games, just a brief q&a. it was this workshop with Li Hai. There ended up being only three of us playing him at once, the other two were only a bit stronger than me and we took 4 handicap each. I felt like i was ahead up until late in the midgame which was a shock, then i lost a giant group and resigned and balance was restored haha. It was really awesome, mostly cause I learned I was not intimidated, i didnt feel afraid to make mistakes, and if i can play a pro without feeling afraid then I can play anyone!

another thing that was really cool was that 'hand talk' is a true thing. the guy barely spoke any english, yet he didnt really need to. i understood all the variations he was showing and what he was trying to explain cause, its go. he did have an interpreter when needed though. very cool experience

That sounds super amazing, to be honest.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib
I seem to be hovering around 3kyu on KGS, and have been doing so for a long time now.

Hoping to get to 1k this year, by not wasting time on blitz games and actually reviewing my games after playing them.

Also, should probably do some tsumego or something.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
who wants to talk about go?

i like to put stone on the 3 4 point :D

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I hate go

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

totino boy posted:

who wants to talk about go?

i like to put stone on the 3 4 point :D

I never win against the 3-4 point so when people play there I flip the table.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

PerniciousKnid posted:

I never win against the 3-4 point so when people play there I flip the table.

thats how i win 80% of my game

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

But then you gotta beat them with the table and you'll get blood all over your floors. Too messy for me. I just resign after move #2.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

totino boy posted:

thats how i win 80% of my game

I demand to play against you with 4 handicap. Each of my 4 stones start on the 3-4 point.

Check. Mate.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Pander posted:

I demand to play against you with 4 handicap. Each of my 4 stones start on the 3-4 point.

Check. Mate.

n... no ! ! !

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Overwined posted:

But then you gotta beat them with the table and you'll get blood all over your floors. Too messy for me. I just resign after move #2.

If anyone even asks me to play Go I just tell them, "I resign."

One day I'll make it to move 2...!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I came back from a five day vacation and I've lost 11 of my last 14 games and am about to rank down to 9k+ from 8k+. It's incredibly discouraging and I'm finding it really hard to continue playing. From a rational perspective, I'm not having fun, so I should quit, but there's a part of me that says I'm going to regret giving up. It's just so painful to endure loss after loss, especially after a period of improvement.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
the trick is to stop caring about improving. then the game will be fun

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

totino boy posted:

the trick is to stop caring about improving. then the game will be fun

but u have to care a little though right? im at a weird place where i'm unranked on kgs and am infuriated with myself when i misunderstand simple life/death stuff even vs the computer

right now i just like doing basic go problems on the go books app

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I think I'm just slipping into old bad habits because I've been less than diligent in my studies over the past week. The present course of action is to skim over Attack and Defense as a refresher and continue reading Tesuji. I refuse to give up

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Booyah- posted:

but u have to care a little though right? im at a weird place where i'm unranked on kgs and am infuriated with myself when i misunderstand simple life/death stuff even vs the computer

right now i just like doing basic go problems on the go books app

i care about learning more things because its fun to learn them, not because it makes my rank go up. i could stay at 7k forever and be okay cause the game is fun and reading books is fun and doing problems is fun. fun! the game was not always fun when i was freaking out about how fast i was getting better, or if i was going to win enough games or if i was going to LEVEL UP. who cares, its a game, each match you play should be fun, and who cares past that.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

totino boy posted:

i care about learning more things because its fun to learn them, not because it makes my rank go up. i could stay at 7k forever and be okay cause the game is fun and reading books is fun and doing problems is fun. fun! the game was not always fun when i was freaking out about how fast i was getting better, or if i was going to win enough games or if i was going to LEVEL UP. who cares, its a game, each match you play should be fun, and who cares past that.

did you feel that way before you got to 7k? i think you said earlier that it was milestone for you in not-caring.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Booyah- posted:

did you feel that way before you got to 7k? i think you said earlier that it was milestone for you in not-caring.

ive been hovering around 7,8,9 k for over a year. after a point i realized im still having fun even though i havent been improving. so i just stopped worrying about it. if i get better, i get better. if not, not.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
What helped me the most was realizing that your rank is just a tool for helping you get fun games - it's not like WoW or something where you first need to get to max level before you can really start having fun.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I think games like Go arguably get less fun past a certain point in skill level. There's a sort of Peter Principle where you can work at improving until it becomes a job and you hate it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
you're probably getting better, it just doesn't correlate all that well with uh... actually beating opponents. the skill range in sdk gets a lot more sophisticated and it's hard to measure that and satisfy your grinding lust

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
yeah you get better but youre opponents do too so whether youre 5k or 5d youre still going to have basically the same w/l ratio.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I think technically you have to raise your w/l percentage a bit to even rank up in the first place then have it fall back down again.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

The drops in Go suuuuuuuucccckkkkkkk.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone got tips for the AlphaGo boss? I spent a long time yesterday grinding captures to get my rank up, but even at level 5k I still get creamed.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I lost my sixth game in a row as an igs 8k. Directly after I started a kgs account and beat a 3k in a no komi blitz game so I feel slightly better now.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Hey, so, that white group is alive, right? I mean, I'm winning, but if I can kill it, I want to :black101:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
That group alive af

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

It's not a bulky 5; it's alive.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my super go powers have activated !

i'll never lose another game again ! ! !

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
i lost 17 games in a row and am now 12 kyu

derp
Jan 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Goban Baduk is now my legal name. I am SENSEI. i travel the western world, offering teaching games to all i encounter, while wearing my signature kimono and sandals. i have studied hard these six months, and reached the pinnacle of 13 kyu ranks. i search far and wide for opponents worthy of my skill, but all to often they scoff and turn away, unwilling to accept the challenge to their minds that is GO. but for those willing to learn, i will always be there to offer my wisdom on the ways of wei chi. how to cut and how to atari, and the three Corner Joseki Patterns. some may call it a burden to give these teachings, but i bear it with pride and joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I remember someone mentioning that OGS ranks are really bad (because everybody gets to pick their own rank when they start), but is this really true? I just saw this chart: http://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison
It looks like the OGS ranks are much more similar to the different go association ranks around the world compared to KGS ranks. When I played more, I was 7 kyu on KGS, right now I'm only 13 kyu on OGS - I thought this meant I had gotten a lot worse, but maybe I was actually more or less the same strength and the problem was that KGS has higher ranks for weaker players?