Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Baal posted:

You're never too old to watch bad anime

Thankfully JoJo isn't bad and is actually quite good and cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

what a beautiful koinku

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I feel like Echoes' ability loses some of its strength as a concept when translated to anime. It works a lot better in the manga because sounds are written visually, so the stand messing with that works a lot better than in an anime where sounds are sounds. It can't really be helped though, they made a good attempt at making it work.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

I feel like Echoes' ability loses some of its strength as a concept when translated to anime. It works a lot better in the manga because sounds are written visually, so the stand messing with that works a lot better than in an anime where sounds are sounds. It can't really be helped though, they made a good attempt at making it work.

the anime has sound effect kanji all over the place what the gently caress am i reading

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Pomp posted:

the anime has sound effect kanji all over the place what the gently caress am i reading

Not really. I went back to the Bad Company episode and counted 4 of them. In contrast the manga has them in pretty much every panel that isn't a headshot of a character talking.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mods, rename me to Dark! Tobey Maguire.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Plus the fact that he only knows high-school levels of english so he has a hard time talking fluidly with everyone.
Is this actually intended? I want to see a dub version using this interpretation.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

CJ posted:

Not really. I went back to the Bad Company episode and counted 4 of them. In contrast the manga has them in pretty much every panel that isn't a headshot of a character talking.

You mean the episode where Echoes was still an egg?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is this actually intended? I want to see a dub version using this interpretation.

considering his mum's a native english speaker and he acts the same to japanese speakers like the cops and girls I don't think it's the case. Language doesn't manifest as an issue at all because it doesn't matter to the story.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Yeah the English thing is a fun headcanon deal and all but I don't actually know if that would have anything to do with Jotaro's behavior given that we know how he behaves later; he's just not a talkative guy and he has a short fuse even if he doesn't get angry so much as grumpy. It makes the most sense for them to be speaking English if you think about it, but it's not confirmed and honestly probably not something Araki was overly concerned about anyway.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

You mean the episode where Echoes was still an egg?

He isn't talking about just the Echoes episode, he means "in the manga the sound effects were always here all the time and having them suddenly matter was cool, and the anime doesn't capture that because they don't use the visual sound effects as constantly and consistently as the manga does."

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Very niceu holly-chan

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

That art is super cute!

I wish Holly had got more screentime. I understand it probably wasn't going to happen in Stardust Crusaders due to her being sick with a bad case of Stand, but she had such a lot of potential and it didn't go anywhere much. (Not that Araki at the time was big on giving women great roles, but still...) And I'm not holding out much hope of her appearing in Diamond is Unbreakable. Although it would make a lot of sense, assuming she's still in Japan. Wouldn't she want to visit her half-brother? I think she'd get along amazingly well with Josuke.

I should probably be able to remember this, but can't: when Dio was killed, did Holly lose her Stand, or is it around but inactive/dormant now? I'd imagine it would be the latter, since Josuke still has his.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Van Dine posted:

I should probably be able to remember this, but can't: when Dio was killed, did Holly lose her Stand, or is it around but inactive/dormant now? I'd imagine it would be the latter, since Josuke still has his.

The latter. it'll come out if/when Holly eventually develops enough of a backbone to be able to handle it, as it is she's just too darned nice and wholesome and nonviolent to be able to handle one

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Thanks!

Really, someone should tell Holly that she probably got another Hermit Purple and that if she masters it she can take lots of photos of Jotaro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I bet that once she got better, she did all sorts of cute things with Star Platinum, who loves her to death and beyond.

Maybe she's the one who chose him his bad-rear end new white gloves and knee high boots. Star Platinum being the doting and loving son she wants Jotaro to be is my headcanon.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Jotaro probably calls his mom every day in part 4 to tell him how he's doing and what new fish he studied

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baal posted:

Jotaro probably calls his mom every day in part 4 to tell him how he's doing and what new fish he studied

I'm very happy for Holland

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
[Jotaro voice] Hey mommy. It's me, your son Jotaro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jotaro would grow extremely cross if Okuyasu did not think Holly was super hot too.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Is Okuyasu our new Polnareff? I miss Polnareff :(

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Housh posted:

Is Okuyasu our new Polnareff? I miss Polnareff :(

It depends if you consider Kuwabara to be YYH's Polnareff or not

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Baal posted:

You didn't try hard enough

Guy Fieri should be in SDC, to be fair.

*GoGoGoGoGoGoGoGo*

(emerging from the shadows of the diner) Hehehe, I've been waiting, Mr. Joestar. I will kill you, and then Lord DIO will give me his secret barbeque recipe! Now kneel before my Stand! [S M A S H M O U T H] !

*DA-N!*

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

no they will not posted:

[Jotaro voice] Hey mommy. It's me, your son Jotaro.

You can say [Jotaro voice] all you want, I'm still hearing it in [Cr1tikal voice]

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I bet that once she got better, she did all sorts of cute things with Star Platinum, who loves her to death and beyond.

Is there a picture of Holly and Star Platinum playing pattycake while Jotaro just looks annoyed in the foreground?

Because there needs to be.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I do

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

I don't think there's any other way to see it, sooo

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Goofy swordsmen who both are shameless flirts and wind up getting into trouble more often than not.

Pretty much the same guy, just with less rapey Princess Bride villains in Kuwabara's past.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If y'all had to choose one character as your favorite in JoJo as a whole series, who would you choose?

For me, Stroheim is my favorite with Joseph as a close second. I just love how insane he is, with his crazy voice acting when he does anything and his passion for GERMAN SCIENCE!! :science:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

If y'all had to choose one character as your favorite in JoJo as a whole series, who would you choose?

For me, Stroheim is my favorite with Joseph as a close second. I just love how insane he is, with his crazy voice acting when he does anything and his passion for GERMAN SCIENCE!! :science:

Part 2 Joseph.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Not sure. Part 7's villain, probably.

Of the first three parts, though, probably Kakyoin.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Mine's only made a cameo appearance in the Part 4 adaptation thus far, and won't be showing up for probably 6 or 7 episodes. it's rohan Out of everyone we've seen so far in the anime, it's a tough call between Dio and Joseph.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Gyro

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

My favorite character is sort of a spoiler for you, actually. Gyro Zeppeli. Go! Go! Zeppeli!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I appreciate the use of spoiler bars, by the way. I'm still at the very beginning of Part 3 where Koinku Kakyoin gets introduced and fought with by Jotaro.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I can't pick one. I'm still enamored with Part 2 Joseph because his antics were what made me go from "oh, this is a cool shonen thing" to "YO JOJO". Part 6 and 8's protagonists are up there, especially now that they revealed a bunch about the latter's backstory.

EDIT: and my favorite Crusader is a long way from where you are, but he's the cleverest and the bravest. He reminds me a lot of Part 2 Joseph.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

I respect your bravery of choosing of a literal and proud Nazi.

Part 4 and Part 7's JoJo are def my faves and their villains are real good too. Koinku is also my fav character in Part 3

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Okuyasu is obviously my favorite-favorite but Kakyoin, Josuke Higashikata, and (do I still have to spoiler this pt 4 name even though he appeared in official stuff already?) Rohan Kishibe are in line pretty closely thereafter, mostly all just in second place I guess.

A lot of my other current favorites are in Pt 8 and I can't even name 'em here.

I've done that super-long Pt 1 - 7 character rank thing before and it was pretty accurate aside from missing out on all the pt 8 characters I like.
http://momonga.zinky.io/other/jojocharasort.html

(obviously, if you're anime-only a majority of that is going to mean nothing to you so, uh, sorry, but just in case manga readers somehow haven't taken that...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

My absolute favorite is either the part 7 JoJo or main antagonist.

In the first three, either Jotaro or part 3 Joseph. But honestly most of the reason I like Jotaro is not in part 3 so....

• Locked thread