Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

stone ocean is genuinely the only arc where it's super easy to get fatigued by it. it has a naturally fast pace going on but the risk of that is if it goes off the rails even a little bit then it can drag on and be tiring to read, which definitely happens a couple times. i like a lot of elements of part 6 (and jolyne is great, of course) but there's something mildly lacking when compared to, like, 4 or whatever which is a bit more laid-back, but i'll be the first to note that that's entirely up to my own personal taste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

i read this from left to right :v:

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Giorno should've shown up near the end of Stone Ocean to help Jolyne and the rest.

I don't care how dumb and deus ex machina that is, Giorno should've been around in some capacity anyway. He probably could've helped save everyone in the end except Anasui but I'm fine with that.

That's my bad opinion on the ending, you should read Stone Ocean anyway it's very good.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I forgot that echoes act one had cool boy skateboard wheel legs

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

stone ocean is genuinely the only arc where it's super easy to get fatigued by it. it has a naturally fast pace going on but the risk of that is if it goes off the rails even a little bit then it can drag on and be tiring to read, which definitely happens a couple times. i like a lot of elements of part 6 (and jolyne is great, of course) but there's something mildly lacking when compared to, like, 4 or whatever which is a bit more laid-back, but i'll be the first to note that that's entirely up to my own personal taste.

SO always felt like one of the weaker arcs, but I could never put my finger on it. I like Pucci and don't mind the somewhat retroactive DIO mysticism, I like the ending a lot, and I absolutely adore all the Ora Is The New Black girls. But you hit it with the pacing, SO has really problematic pacing. I'm also not a fan of how there's a lot of high-concept stand battles where the stand is more important than the user. Thankfully, that didn't become a trend.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Stone Ocean is top JoJo and I'll Ora anyone who says otherwise.

But yeah, the pacing gets iffy at some points, e.g. during the whole Survivor thingy. Fortunately it's also peppered with Good poo poo, like Jolyne peeling a guy's nails off, the world's fingers for gently caress off, hosed up bone springs and Pucci turning a dude into a CD player for no real reason.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

While I'm wondering about Made in Heaven,

is Eyes of Heaven and/or the Jorge Joestar novel canon? :v:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

CuddlyZombie posted:

Respectively no and no, but it should be.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2PDpOrGaV0

LordMune
Nov 21, 2006

Helim needed to be invisible.

CuddlyZombie posted:

Wait, parts 7 and 8 aren't even in the reset universe?
Yes they are, there was even an Araki Said with an actual Source for it a while back.

People insisting that they are not is the new "actually Diamond is not Crash is a legit title and not a ridiculous mistranslation". Needs to go in the OP imo god it makes me so mad

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Stone Ocean is top JoJo and I'll Ora anyone who says otherwise.

But yeah, the pacing gets iffy at some points, e.g. during the whole Survivor thingy. Fortunately it's also peppered with Good poo poo, like Jolyne peeling a guy's nails off, the world's fingers for gently caress off, hosed up bone springs and Pucci turning a dude into a CD player for no real reason.

Whitesnake creating CDs is anachronistic when you think about it. Shouldn't they be cassette tapes?

Cerebral Bore posted:

Respectively no and no, but Purple Haze Feedback should be.

Fixed that for you.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

Whitesnake creating CDs is anachronistic when you think about it. Shouldn't they be cassette tapes?

Doesn't Stone Ocean take place in like 2010 or something? They should really be Blu-rays.

Silver2195 posted:

Fixed that for you.

Look, if you don't think that Funniest Valentine should be canon, you're literally dead to me.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Doesn't Stone Ocean take place in like 2010 or something? They should really be Blu-rays.

I mean that he had his Stand while Dio was still alive in the 80s, IIRC.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please do not canonize more Fugo, let him fester in the pit of betrayal he made for himself

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Silver2195 posted:

CD:s were introduced commercially in the early 80s, so that checks out. Pucci was just ahead of his time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

Please do not canonize more Fugo, let him fester in the pit of betrayal he made for himself

He betrayed no one. Give Fugo a chance :colbert:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Jolyne deserved a better Part

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Silver2195 posted:

CDs became commercially available in like 1982. It totally makes sense for Pucci to know about them by '88 when he was hanging out on DIO's bed. Especially since its just the kind of luxury good that DIO would be into.

It's not like he got his stand when he was a kid or anything. If anything, he should have evolved his stand to be like a psychic ghost Napster where he can copy stands remotely.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Araki drew the main character of Usogui as part of its 10 year anniversary celebrations.
https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=11189

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Araki drew the main character of Usogui as part of its 10 year anniversary celebrations.

Nice, that's a pretty cool Baku.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

CuddlyZombie posted:

The concept of "canon" is pretty much meaningless when it comes to Jojo. Or most things really, but especially Jojo because Araki gives not a single gently caress about canon and neither should you.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Listen if you can't get wrapped up in canon down to the last detail you have absolutely no way to assert your authority over a fandom so you'd better take that back

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm going to slep now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ChAM-JtnZ-Y

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Cool vid.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I wouldn't have posted it if didn't get hit with one copyright that blocked it everywhere literally right after I posted it.

EDIT: Video's back up, I'm still uploading my backup in case I need to, but it'll be good for now.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 21:21 on May 8, 2016

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Strohiem's dub voice is really really good.

Also Cars is a beautiful boy who did nothing wrong. His people tried to kill him first because they thought his creation of the Stone Mask would lead to darker poo poo so he and Esidisi fought them off, took two babies and just hosed off to Italy

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Kars is a salty baby

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Wow you have a nice voice you should do lets plays!

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Cars is so many cool moments, like saving the dog, loving bone blades, showing off his beautiful hair, basking in the sun for the first time, sick shapeshifting, but is still somehow the worst JoJo villain. I love him, but he sucks

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm really glad Kars can't hear you right now because if he could he'd have a whole lot of extra people to kill once I fly out to space and rescue him.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kars is cooler than that loser Pucci and has SSS-rank posing abilities

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Pucci should pull a Dio and attach his head to Kars

Dio might get jealous though

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Okuyasu is obviously my favorite-favorite but Kakyoin, Josuke Higashikata, and (do I still have to spoiler this pt 4 name even though he appeared in official stuff already?) Rohan Kishibe are in line pretty closely thereafter, mostly all just in second place I guess.

A lot of my other current favorites are in Pt 8 and I can't even name 'em here.

I've done that super-long Pt 1 - 7 character rank thing before and it was pretty accurate aside from missing out on all the pt 8 characters I like.
http://momonga.zinky.io/other/jojocharasort.html

(obviously, if you're anime-only a majority of that is going to mean nothing to you so, uh, sorry, but just in case manga readers somehow haven't taken that...)

So I took this test, and my number 11 was a tie that made me smile, fellow manga readers.

quote:

1 Rohan Kishibe
2 Josuke Higashikata
3 Gyro Zeppeli
4 Dio
5 Johnny Joestar
6 Yoshikage Kira
7 Funny Valentine
8 J P Polnareff
9 Jotaro Kujo
10 Joseph Joestar
11 Lucy Steel
11 Diego Brando

Annasui and Kenzo were dead loving last, so I can only assume that this site is 100% ACCURATE.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Did they list Shigeki as Fatty

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Nahxela posted:

Did they list Shigeki as Fatty

Yes.

I actually can't find my original screenshot of my top ones so sure, fine, I'll kill another 20 minutes and take it again.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I'm looking around and can't find exact info, but what was the deal with the English dub of Stardust Crusaders? Was it only for a few of the first episodes or is the whole thing dubbed by now? A friend wants to get into JoJo but doesn't want to read subtitles.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The SC dub was just a test to see if there was any interest in it. Now that the dub for PB and BT seem to have been successful, Viz is going to dub SC proper now, I believe, with DiU as well at some point.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Willsun posted:

I'm looking around and can't find exact info, but what was the deal with the English dub of Stardust Crusaders? Was it only for a few of the first episodes or is the whole thing dubbed by now? A friend wants to get into JoJo but doesn't want to read subtitles.

Those are a test thing but my understanding is that a full dub is going to be done as part of the DVD release by virtue of the Viz acquisition.

__
Anyway, I redid the character sorter and while my opinion of Koichi has definitely improved, it has not improved to "tied with Mikitaka at #8" so I hosed somethin' up, though my top 5/6 remains the same. Boy the rest is kind of a mess though and Josuke's going to refuse to talk to me when he sees how far down DIO dropped from last time.

1 Okuyasu Nijimura
2 Noriaki Kakyoin
3 Josuke Higashikata
4 J P Polnareff
4 Rohan Kishibe
6 Jotaro Kujo
7 Gyro Zeppeli
8 Koichi Hirose
8 Mikitaka
8 Bruno Buccellati
11 Guido Mista
12 Yoshikage Kira
12 Johnny Joestar
14 Hot Pants
15 Blackmore
16 Giorno Giovanna
16 Jolyne Kujo
16 Ringo Roadagain
19 Ghiacchio
19 Risotto Nero
21 Diego Brando
22 Cars
23 Wham
23 Weather Report
25 Straights
26 Dio

Other people need to devote time to that stupid goddamn thing so I feel less pathetic about having done it twice now. :dings:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hace posted:

Wow you have a nice voice you should do lets plays!

Hace...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

pretty accurate