Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

coyo7e posted:

His summary I found was like "Avasarala's head of security detail" or something similar, but the only guy I could think of who came close was the lunatic security dude on slug planet. He doesn't seem big and intimidating enough to pull of that guy, although maybe with a poorly-shaven head and some power armor he'd be intimidating. Whatever role he's in I'm sure he'll kick rear end in it though.

Oh, no, way different guy. Cotyar's the older bodyguard/security guy with Avasarala and Bobbie on Mao's yacht. He's seriously a minor character in the books.

Edit: you're spoiling a pretty huge development there. Probably don't want to do that to the show-only folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Spoiler: slug... planet's going to be terribly unwatchable and probably never be shown, except as maybe a one-off episode. It's like one of those "Billy gets the flu" episodes in TV shows where one character gets the sniffles and we all suffer for an hour or two of being terminally bored.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

coyo7e posted:

Spoiler: slug... planet's going to be terribly unwatchable and probably never be shown, except as maybe a one-off episode. It's like one of those "Billy gets the flu" episodes in TV shows where one character gets the sniffles and we all suffer for an hour or two of being terminally bored.

The Expanse, Season 4: episode 5 uses entire season's budget for exquisite, detailed recreation of half a planet exploding, leaving all the rest of the episodes with only enough funds to repeat a single exterior establishing shot of crazy alien ruins and have all other scenes in all the episodes take place in brown caves and tunnels. In the latter half of the season they spice up this formula by having the cast bump into furniture repeatedly.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Not really sure how much book talk is ok here, so I'll just say Cibola Burn was awful compared to the first 3 books and I'm not sure how they could adapt it as part of the TV series. Starting Nemesis Games now and hoping it's a return to form.

Also, I'm curious if there is any logic or explanation for the titles of these novels. I don't recall any characters named Caliban or Abaddon and Cibola Burn just seems like nonsensical gibberish to me.

If they've cast Ashur as anybody other than Soren then it seems like a waste of his talents. Hopefully they've beefed up the role of the guy he was cast as.

Inspector 34 fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 4, 2016

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Inspector 34 posted:

Not really sure how much book talk is ok here, so I'll just say Cibola Burn was awful compared to the first 3 books and I'm not sure how they could adapt it as part of the TV series. Starting Nemesis Games now and hoping it's a return to form.

I have good news for you. I jumped straight from Caliban's War to Nemesis Games and it's the best of the series.

quote:

Also, I'm curious if there is any logic or explanation for the titles of these novels. I don't recall any characters named Caliban or Abaddon and Cibola Burn just seems like nonsensical gibberish to me.

I think they're just meant to sound cool with some mythological connection thrown in.

Leviathan Wakes makes sense since the titular leviathan is the protomolecule.

Caliban is from The Tempest, it might be some clever Shakespeare reference I'm not getting. Caliban is also one of the moons of Uranus, which are named after Shakespearean characters.

Abaddon is a mythical name from the Bible (like Leviathan). Cibola is one of the Seven Cities of Gold. Babylon is Babylon, and another name that harkens back to the Bible somewhat. Nemesis is the Greek personification of vengeance which makes sense once you read the book.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The only book with a name that directly mapped was called Dandelion Sky, but the name was changed before publication. (Massive spoiler) It was named the because that's why the sky looks like in the alien portal nexus, with thousands of gateway rings all in a sphere. But then they ditched the name because they didn't like it and give us the blandest, most generic Abbadon's Gate:emo:

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Antti posted:

Caliban is from The Tempest, it might be some clever Shakespeare reference I'm not getting.

My understanding: Caliban was a half-human slave whose portrayal centers around his relationship to the controlling Prospero and his (Caliban's) attempts to resist or throw off that control. (So to spell it out, it's an analogue with the protomolecule monster(s), Protogen intending to control & use them for war, and how they evade said control via e.g. getting rid of their failsafe bombs etc.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Antti posted:

I have good news for you. I jumped straight from Caliban's War to Nemesis Games and it's the best of the series.

I think they're just meant to sound cool with some mythological connection thrown in.

Leviathan Wakes makes sense since the titular leviathan is the protomolecule.

Caliban is from The Tempest, it might be some clever Shakespeare reference I'm not getting. Caliban is also one of the moons of Uranus, which are named after Shakespearean characters.

Abaddon is a mythical name from the Bible (like Leviathan).

Leviathan is Biblically a horrific sea monster in the book of Job: "Nothing on earth is its equal - a creature without fear. It looks down on all that are haughty; it is king over all that are proud.” So the application of that name is obvious.

Abaddon in the OT is an synonym for the concept of destruction. In the NT, specifically Revelations, it's personified as an angel and called Destroyer. Given what's on the other side of the gates, the application also makes sense.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I've now read the first three books (after being inspired to by the show) and really enjoyed them. So should I just skip Cibola Burn and go straight to book 5 or what?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
eh, if you liked book 3 might as well read book 4

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would agree it's the weakest of the series but I didn't think it was bad. If you appreciate the underlying theme of humans being unable to not gently caress up everything because we can't cooperate in large groups, that's seriously hammered on in book 4.

It also has (spoilers only if you haven't read to 3) a lot of neat hints about the civilization that created the protomolecule that I'm betting pay off later

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Cibola Burn is a lot of fun and, I think, is unfairly maligned. I'd say both AG and CB suffer from the fact that they became book 3 of 6 and book 4 of 9 respectively during their productions. I like CB because it moves away from the politics and the space travel to show the crew completely out of their element, where they can't help each other and where the most powerful guy isn't the one with political friends or a big ship, it's a dude with a gun and the wish to use it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tortolia posted:

Never saw Spartacus but reaction to this seems favorable. Good actor?

Unfuck that situation lickity split.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I think a lot of why it gets crap is it's very different than the other four books. It feels like the writers were a little bored and decided to do something else for a book, like Archer Vice.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I didn't mind Cibola Burn and I agree with the above posters. It's not the strongest of the series but it's still an entertaining read plus anything to do with ancient exotic alien weaponplanets with passages on the inane details of flora and fauna is cool with me. Nemesis Games does a great job of setting the series back on track anyway.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Cibola Burn is neat IMO, but the scope is weirdly small in some ways and I can see how the main drivers of the plot could put some people off.

That said I entirely found it reasonable how and why the plot went the way it did, even with the villains being a bit moustache -twirling.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

CB was ok, but it could've just been a side book about totally different characters and worked just as well if not better. It doesn't feel like a main series book, and the main cast doesn't have to be there for every little thing that happens in the universe.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Wasn't cibola burn a side story novella, when did it change to a mainline novel.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Wibbleman posted:

Wasn't cibola burn a side story novella, when did it change to a mainline novel.

When a six book deal turned into a nine book deal.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Milky Moor posted:

Cibola Burn is a lot of fun and, I think, is unfairly maligned. I'd say both AG and CB suffer from the fact that they became book 3 of 6 and book 4 of 9 respectively during their productions. I like CB because it moves away from the politics and the space travel to show the crew completely out of their element, where they can't help each other and where the most powerful guy isn't the one with political friends or a big ship, it's a dude with a gun and the wish to use it.

:agreed:

I really like it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Pharmaskittle posted:

CB was ok, but it could've just been a side book about totally different characters and worked just as well if not better. It doesn't feel like a main series book, and the main cast doesn't have to be there for every little thing that happens in the universe.

Yeah, I'll agree with that. Having both Basia and Havelock in the mix was more than enough of a connection to the previous books' casts, if that's required for some reason.

I will say I probably judged Cibola Burn a little more harshly than I otherwise would have because of the lovely audiobook narrator. The guy who read the rest of the series was unavailable, and they guy they replaced him with had just the worst instincts.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Demiurge4 posted:

But Amos is an educated engineer so there are obviously ways for even 'unsanctioned' children to move up. Excluding people from the system would make the whole thing pointless so I'm pretty sure Amos was able to get on basic the moment he approached a government office.

This statement is like saying I'm sure any kid can make it out of the hood like (insert rapper or ball player)

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Inspector 34 posted:

If they've cast Ashur as anybody other than Soren then it seems like a waste of his talents. Hopefully they've beefed up the role of the guy he was cast as.

Hey Abbadons Gate is equal poo poo to Cibola Burn and yes Nemesis Games is a return to form.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

I will say I probably judged Cibola Burn a little more harshly than I otherwise would have because of the lovely audiobook narrator. The guy who read the rest of the series was unavailable, and they guy they replaced him with had just the worst instincts.

I had to quit listening to it after awhile. I just ended up reading it in my spare time even though I had listened to all the other books.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Oh I didn't realise CB had a different narrator. The guy for the first three is really good, granted. I might pick it up for Kindle instead, in that case.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

gohmak posted:

This statement is like saying I'm sure any kid can make it out of the hood like (insert rapper or ball player)

They say any unsanctioned kid can walk into a UN office and get on Basic. Whether they'have a hope in hell of getting a job and making actual money on the other hand...

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

gohmak posted:

My point was that the entire system of basic exists to keep people content, registered and out of trouble. If the fact that you were born illegitimately isolates you from the system then it would never have survived any length of time.

Anyone can turn up in an office and say 'I was born in a whorehouse, give me basic'. If they can't the system collapses. I understand Aemos's circumstances and advancement were special but that doesn't make me wrong.

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
Are consuming the audio book version a legit way of consuming a book, or do people only do this to supplement a reading?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
People do it when they can't read or they are blind.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Daktari posted:

Are consuming the audio book version a legit way of consuming a book, or do people only do this to supplement a reading?

A good narrator adds a lot to a written book, conversely a lovely one can ruin it.

Audiobooks are popular with people who otherwise have difficulty making time to read: easy enough to get through a book during your morning commute, whilst out running/doing errands/chores, etc.

I used to have a relatively menial data entry job in college and I got through a lot of audiobooks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I usually don't do fiction audiobooks but I listen to a fair number of nonfiction ones. They (and podcasts) are good in the background while playing a turn-based strategy game or city builder or something, or long walks.

dhn
May 28, 2004
Dog dick of anubis
I spend up to two hours in the car on my workday commute. Audiobooks and podcasts are great car entertainment. It is by no means as quick as reading, but I agree that a good narrator can add a lot to a book.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

Yeah I love audiobooks for when I'm walking to work or doing housework or even just in bed. I can read and am not blind, but audiobooks own

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,
I wasn't trying to be uppety or anything. Maybe I should try it out myself. I thought it was more of a niche thing

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
I just finished reading the books and am pretty impressed in hindsight at how perfect the casting has been for the show. The guy playing Amos deserves some kind of award for pulling off the amicably threatening personality so perfectly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I just finished reading the books and am pretty impressed in hindsight at how perfect the casting has been for the show. The guy playing Amos deserves some kind of award for pulling off the amicably threatening personality so perfectly.

Wes Chatham was a massive Expanse fan prior to being cast, and of Amos in particular, as it turns out.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Toast Museum posted:

I've been slowly going through the audiobooks over the last few months in preparation for the release of the new book this winter, and holy poo poo is this true. I want to listen to Cibola Burn since I haven't skipped anything else but goddamn everything the narrator does is crap. Crap voices that sound like Hannah Barbera cartoon characters is bad but the worst is his god-awful loving cadence that sounds like a bad stereotype of a native american accent from decades ago.

Ugh, total poo poo.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Der Luftwaffle posted:

Yeah was great casting on rewatch especially the way Amos drops threats.

My fav moment was the ambush scene in which he uses his instincts notice it's a setup.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Amos doesn't threaten. He just casually states facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

How are u posted:

the worst is his god-awful loving cadence that sounds like a bad stereotype of a native american accent from decades ago.

Holy poo poo, YES. That's exactly what came to mind for me too.

• Locked thread