Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

The Doctor posted:

e: Also, do we have a Southern food thread? I've made fried chicken a bunch of times now (this was the best) but I'd like to start cooking up big Southern and soul food feasts.

Please no. My waistline couldn't take it.

Do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

tarbrush posted:

Please no. My waistline couldn't take it.

Do it

AFAIK we only have a cajun thread; no general southern thread.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Please make one, I want to talk about cornbread and where to find field peas with snaps and greasy beans.

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014
Since I had things to do today, I shoved pork loin in the oven and ignored it for two hours while I did things.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Spicy Soba Noodles posted:

Since I had things to do today, I shoved pork loin in the oven and ignored it for two hours while I did things.

Sometimes I feel like lazy cooking is just absolutely the best form of cooking.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Doctor posted:

Refried chicken brunch burritos (Louisiana hot sauce not pictured).

there's still so much fried chicken.

e: Also, do we have a Southern food thread? I've made fried chicken a bunch of times now (this was the best) but I'd like to start cooking up big Southern and soul food feasts.

Just the cajun food thread far as I know. You're welcome to post there about it but I imagine a Southern / Soul food thread would be a pretty awesome thing.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Tonight I made a fancy obscure American dish. A little something called Green Bean Casserole.

You ever browse the grocery store, see an ingredient, and realize you had to make something with it immediately? Well the green bean harvests have started coming in so I knew I needed to make this right away.

No, I didn't use a can of Cream of Mushroom Soup or fake onions

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014

MrSlam posted:

Tonight I made a fancy obscure American dish. A little something called Green Bean Casserole.

You ever browse the grocery store, see an ingredient, and realize you had to make something with it immediately? Well the green bean harvests have started coming in so I knew I needed to make this right away.

I have an aversion to most green bean casserole. Yours is the stuff I would eat, no question. That is gorgeous.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

MrSlam posted:

I would like to know your recipe for this. I tried making GBC from real ingredients one Thanksgiving and it came out even shittier than the canned soup version.

From that point I believed the dish was probably invented by Campbell's to sell their otherwise-inedible cream of mushroom soup, but your pics indicate it is possible to do it for real

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 02:59 on May 6, 2016

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

From that point I believed the dish was probably invented by Campbell's to sell their otherwise-inedible cream of mushroom soup, but your pics indicate it is possible to do it for real

This is actually true.

quote:

Dorcas Reilly led the team that created the recipe while working as a staff member in the home economics department. The inspiration for the dish was "to create a quick and easy recipe around two things most Americans always had on hand in the 1950s: green beans and Campbell’s Cream of Mushroom Soup."

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I have an aversion to most green bean casserole. Yours is the stuff I would eat, no question. That is gorgeous.

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

I would like to know your recipe for this. I tried making GBC from real ingredients one Thanksgiving and it came out even shittier than the canned soup version.

Thanks so much! I used the Good Eats recipe with one or two minor adjustments. Adjustments like writing down the recipe in its entirety and then losing the notebook and trying to remember all the ingredient amounts. I substituted paprika for cayenne since we're an unspicy household and I forgot to spray the baking sheet with canola oil so I had to pry the onions off the tinfoil, but the upside is that it did make for some good caramelization. I got mini-bellas and CRIMINY for the mushrooms. This recipe calls for blanching the beans for 5 minutes, but if you like green beans soft and mushy like my dad and not slightly crisp like me then you may want to boil them longer.

If you ever come across a recipe that calls for a can of mushroom soup, the non-processed equivalent I guess is:
-Cook 12oz mushrooms in butter, seasoned in salt and pepper, over medium high for 5 minutes
-add 2 cloves minced garlic and 1/4th tsp nutmeg, cook 1-2 minutes
-add 2 tbs flour, cook 1 minute
-add 1 cup broth, cook 1 minute
-lower temperature to medium-low, add half-and-half, cook 6-8 minutes

MrSlam fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 6, 2016

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Breakfast.

Scrambled eggs with goat cheese and kale pesto on toasted sourdough.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

NC BBQ nachos with STL beer.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
yeah them green beans look crazy good

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
Well, based on all of the responses it seems like a Southern cooking thread would go down really well. The only thing is that I'm not really qualified to start a megathread. I'd like to get started cooking stuff like corn bread, collards, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried everything, grits, all that good poo poo, but I mean...I haven't yet. And I feel like an expert is the person to start the thread. Worst case scenario I would do some research and open a thread anyway, but uh...any volunteers?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

The Doctor posted:

Well, based on all of the responses it seems like a Southern cooking thread would go down really well. The only thing is that I'm not really qualified to start a megathread. I'd like to get started cooking stuff like corn bread, collards, biscuits and gravy, chicken fried everything, grits, all that good poo poo, but I mean...I haven't yet. And I feel like an expert is the person to start the thread. Worst case scenario I would do some research and open a thread anyway, but uh...any volunteers?

I'm no expert on cajun food either but just started one since its something I like to cook and we didn't have a central thread on.

You can totally do one, just make sure to leave a lot of space in the OP and make a few reserved posts right after and update them with links to / summaries of other peoples content as good stuff rolls in. Threads that have good OP's and are curated well as good things come in are useful even if the content isn't yours / your specialty.

That Works fucked around with this message at 20:39 on May 8, 2016

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
Cool man, thanks for the encouragement. If no one else wants to jump in I will probably get started organizing something tonight.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Daw juuu=[

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Cross-posting from the Indian thread

MrSlam posted:

Chicken (and Shrimp) Tikka Masala!

It turned out great! My dad bought a box of Indian spices most of which I know nothing about. I threw in some smoke powder, Ajwain seeds, and Pomegranate Powder. I don't know what difference they made but this was a lot better than the last version. I also used "whole" coconut milk and the tomato paste that comes from a tube rather than the canned kind. This is probably the best tasting thing I've made all year.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

MrSlam posted:

Cross-posting from the Indian thread

Dang. I'm not a shrimp guy, but will still get rude on a bowl of that.

Portobello mushroom grilled cheese with American cheese, buffalo mozz, basil, red onion, and avocado. Basically, lots of leftover bits in zip-locs I wanted to get rid of.

Turned out really good.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
We've been roasting whole fish lately which is great, but I did a side of charred green beans with a little leek, harissa, and garlic, and it was awesome. Put harissa on your green beans. Shamefully I did not photograph them.

I did 1lb beans, the light portions of 1 leek, sliced thin, a clove or two of garlic, and about a tablespoon of harissa. Char/blister the beans in a pan, then cook off the leeks/garlic with more oil, add beans back in, add harissa, a little water to loosen things up, and cook until the beans are just soft. It's Good.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

That Works posted:

I'm no expert on cajun food either but just started one since its something I like to cook and we didn't have a central thread on.

You can totally do one, just make sure to leave a lot of space in the OP and make a few reserved posts right after and update them with links to / summaries of other peoples content as good stuff rolls in. Threads that have good OP's and are curated well as good things come in are useful even if the content isn't yours / your specialty.

Suggestion for Thread Title: "Southern Food: It is a good day to fry. Do you want to live forever?"

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrSlam posted:

Suggestion for Thread Title: "Southern Food: It is a good day to fry. Do you want to live forever?"

Southern Food: Paula Deen is trying to kill me

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Southern Food: Heat Index > Glycemic Index

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Southern Food: There isn't enough butter in these grits

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

emotive posted:

Southern Food: There isn't enough butter in these grits

Southern Food: Making French Cuisine seem restrained

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Man, we really do need someone to step up with a Southern food thread because everyone just thinks it's all fried, drowned in butter, and full of sugar, but there's a lot more to it than that!

Not it. >_>

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

mich posted:

Man, we really do need someone to step up with a Southern food thread because everyone just thinks it's all fried, drowned in butter, and full of sugar, but there's a lot more to it than that!

Yeah, there's some fatback and salt. :P

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

mich posted:

Not it. >_>

Southern Food: This succotash would be way better with lard

ImmovableSquid
May 1, 2011
Floss Finder

I'm late to the party, but what did you put on this? It looks good and, most importantly, easy!

Spicy Soba Noodles
Apr 1, 2014

ImmovableSquid posted:

I'm late to the party, but what did you put on this? It looks good and, most importantly, easy!

Olive oil, salt, granulated garlic, coarse black pepper, rosemary and fresh chopped garlic. And it is waaaay easy. That's primarily the reason I love to roast things so much!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Southern Food: You just gon' throw that possum away??

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Southern Food: The Wait is Okra!

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

Fallen Rib
I will get on it, given the interest we should really have a thread. Again if anyone else wants to jump in please feel free, otherwise I'll go ahead.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Do eat!!!

I know nothing.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

so long as my favorite southern recipe, the double doughnut burger with fried cheesteak is in the OP.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I would do a lot of dark stuff for those fries right about now

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mich posted:

Not it. >_>

I would love to see this too. I'm not making it because I'm British and I'd be lynched as a redcoat or something, but my wife's Southern so I'm interested to see recipes :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

I've been transcribing my late grandma's index card recipe box. A lot of the recipes are barebones 50's-70's housewife recipes, specifically a housewife who lived in the boonies and didn't know/care much about gastronomy or the culinary arts.

On a whim I decided to give one of the recipes a shot. It's the exact opposite of GWS material, but here you go. This is her Sour Cream Chicken:

I was going to write down the recipe here, but it's a can of Mushroom Soup, a cup of sour cream, and 6 chicken breasts. Since we're not savages we coated the chicken in spices, thinned the sauce in milk, and used a low sodium can of mushroom soup.
We served it over rice made with chicken broth. It wasn't bad, my dad definitely liked it. But since I'm cutting back on salt I tasted the distinct lack thereof. The sauce it made was pretty yummy though.

• Locked thread