Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
True boozecooking got patched out years ago. Lavish meals need a certain number of (distinct?) ingredients and they can't all be liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

True boozecooking got patched out years ago. Lavish meals need a certain number of (distinct?) ingredients and they can't all be liquid.

Only one material needs to be solid. Everything else can be liquid.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Dreggon posted:

i can't work out how to get really large amounts of foodstuffs so that i can make tons of lavish meals

plants and booze aren't an issue but i would like to do boozecooking and they're reluctant

Eggs, eggs, eggs. If you can capture a breeding pair of cave crocs you will drown in eggs.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Neurion posted:

Eggs, eggs, eggs. If you can capture a breeding pair of cave crocs you will drown in eggs.

Or start off with a couple turkey hens and a gobbler (I do 6 and 1). Get nest boxes up asap, and "forbid" ~3 stacks of the eggs (in nest boxes) immediately (using the rest for cooking). Wait a year for them to hatch, then another for them to hit maturity.

Slaughter most males and then build a huge nest box farm. Eggs for days!

I think blue peahens are another good choice, they mature faster maybe?

edit: I do the above approach with both turkeys and bluehens for new forts and have more than enough eggs by the start of the third year to make roasts forever.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Dreggon posted:

i can't work out how to get really large amounts of foodstuffs so that i can make tons of lavish meals

plants and booze aren't an issue but i would like to do boozecooking and they're reluctant

I can't stand an embark without at least 5 hens and a rooster these days. With eggs, dwarven wine, and fishing, I'm usually preparing lavish meals off the bat to trim down my food supply a bit. Chickens are also really easy to expand production levels with so it can grow with your fort.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you embark without 8-11 sows how can anyone take you seriously.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

I always got food by importing it. Embark with 100 or more milk (it's 1 dwarfbuck per unit) and make it all into cheese first thing, Then when the trade liaison comes, request every kind of milk at the highest priority, and all the fish, eggs, cheese, and milled/prepared ingredients at the lowest priority. You can also do meat, but that list is entirely too long and I don't want my dwarves turning all those lungs and intestines and poo poo into dwarven phở. Milk is great because you can get a lot of it from caravans, it's cheap, and cheese is a high-value ingredient that makes your roasts more valuable.

Turning a few worthless migrants into fisherdwarves is a good way to get a big stack of fish early, until it inevitably dries up and you catch every single fish in the stream/river/ocean. Plant gathering is also good, as I believe you can collect a bunch of fruits and leaves that are cookable but not brewable now that fruit trees are in. And once your gathering/brewing op hits full steam, you can enable cooking for low-value seeds, since you're probably never going to deliberately grow any prickle berries.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Decrepus posted:

If you embark without 8-11 sows how can anyone take you seriously.

funny story, I just embarked with 6 sows and a boar and I apparently managed to luck out and roll a gay boar

Three years and not one piglet

What the hell, boar :( I mean not going to judge or nothin' but drat I wanted some more pigs

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Mirthless posted:

funny story, I just embarked with 6 sows and a boar and I apparently managed to luck out and roll a gay boar

What the hell, boar :( I mean not going to judge or nothin' but drat I wanted some more pigs

Embark with two males. Extra meat if one is gay, and still some little piggies.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Dreggon posted:

Do you have Fishers? Because if i take fishers and fish preparers, then i usually have a fuckton of fish just lying around.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

necrotic posted:

Or start off with a couple turkey hens and a gobbler (I do 6 and 1). Get nest boxes up asap, and "forbid" ~3 stacks of the eggs (in nest boxes) immediately (using the rest for cooking). Wait a year for them to hatch, then another for them to hit maturity.

Slaughter most males and then build a huge nest box farm. Eggs for days!

I think blue peahens are another good choice, they mature faster maybe?

edit: I do the above approach with both turkeys and bluehens for new forts and have more than enough eggs by the start of the third year to make roasts forever.
Guineafowl have a higher clutch size than peafowl and mature faster than turkeys, so they're my preferred choice, but I also try to bring a variety to satisfy as many wants as possible. Crundles are also pretty drat prolific, and if I can tame a female my dwarves are usually swimming in +crundle egg roasts+. I also quite like elk birds when I can get them; healthy clutches of eggs, good meat, and horns.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Mirthless posted:

Sow
I wanna take you to a gay boar
I wanna take you to a gay boar
Gay boar, gay boar

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

I've found asexual males can still produce babies, which is good because they seem way more common than gay animals. Somehow every skunk I've captured turned out to be asexual, but they still are producing young so it's all good.

Egg production I started with turkeys but have diversified to all sorts of things, crundles make a bajillion eggs and if your egg collecting is interrupted because you have to go to war the baby crundles are more likely to start fighting each other than most of the other egg layers, you'll get spammed with reports of them denting each others scales, which is a nice diversion from the reports of some random poet getting enraged and then calming down because of bar arguments. Between the crundles and cave crocs I got so many animals queued for slaughter I've had to build more butcher shops, tanning stations, and kitchens. On the plus side I got a bajillion bone crafts/bolts and totems. Elk Birds will stay on the egg nests and starve themselves to death, so you'll need to micromanage moving the nest boxes around if you want to breed them. I have tame keas and falcons, and will have kakapos once my dwarves get around to moving the captured male into the pen with the females (they keep getting interrupted by scrub goblin invasions or trading caravans) You can still get eggs if there are no males, but they won't hatch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Was the option to assign a room to a noble position rather than an individual something Toady said was upcoming? I can't remember if that's a thing he wanted or if it's something only going to be available in mods.

Unexpected
Jan 5, 2010

You're gonna need
a bigger boat.
Hi,

I've just started playing DF and ran into two issues:

1. Here are screenshots from three floors of my impenetrable fortress:
http://imgur.com/a/ij8x6
It looks like I cannot build a wall straight above the bridge. Is this expected? I thought that a bridge was closing "outside" the wall. Should I move the bridge one square forward and wall sides off if I was to build that "tower" with a lip and fortifications above?

2. I traded for some rock nuts, which ended up inside a bin/bag/whatever in a stockpile and for some reason, my farmer dwarves refuse to pick them up and plant. Similarly, I crafted a few nest boxes, which ended up inside a bin inside a stockpile. However, when trying to build a nest box, I'm getting a "no nest boxes" message. Yet when I mark these boxes for dumping, my dwarves happily drag them to the garbage zone. What gives?

Thank you, esteemed Goons, for your valuable help.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Unexpected posted:

1. Here are screenshots from three floors of my impenetrable fortress:
http://imgur.com/a/ij8x6
It looks like I cannot build a wall straight above the bridge. Is this expected? I thought that a bridge was closing "outside" the wall. Should I move the bridge one square forward and wall sides off if I was to build that "tower" with a lip and fortifications above?

If I'm reading your screenshots right:

1. The bridge closes by the wall, that is, when raised the wall it forms will line up with the existing walls, completely enclosing the bottom floor of the tower in walls. No matter how long the bridge is, this wall only exists on 1 z-level.

2. The reason you can't build the walls is because you already built floor on those tiles, constructed walls/fortifications can't be built on top of constructed floors, they include their own.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

:frogsiren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren:

:frog: posted:

A new version number! With the work order additions and adventurer-created sites, this one ended up with more new stuff and fewer bug fixes than expected, and my version calculator just tipped over at 0.43. You can use the new 'b' site building option in adventure mode to create a site (outside the bounds of other sites). For dwarf mode work orders, you can set conditions and details from the manager. You can also create orders tied to specific shops from their workshop profiles.

A miscellaneous note: in order to retire at the adventurer sites you create, you'll need to name the site, create a main hall zone, and claim the hall during conversation (or while shouting to yourself).

Next up we'll be doing more bug fix releases to make sure we have a vaguely presentable DF before we disappear into a new compiler and 64 bits.

New stuff
  • Ability to build up new sites in adv mode, either yourself or by assigning companions
  • Ability to do carpentry in adv mode
  • Ability to chop down trees in adv mode
  • Ability to make stone axes in adv mode
  • Ability to pull branches from trees in adv mode
  • Can put start conditions on work orders (by amount of resources or dependence on other work orders)
  • Can specify materials/images/etc. in work orders
  • Can create work order from profile which is tied to specific workshop
  • Can set maximum number of shops that a general work order can task at once
  • Can set maximum number of general work orders per shop or disallow them by profession or altogether (note: this won't work for active old-save jobs)
  • Allowed perpetual work orders
  • Repeatable work orders, ability to set restart frequencies

Major bug fixes
  • Stopped masterpiece trading from causing artisans to suffer effects of art defacement

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Got rid of work order limit of 30 jobs
  • Improved work order filtering (respect partial vs. full results etc.)
  • Stopped work orders from taking more than one slot per workshop
  • Stopped non-citizens from being charged for violating production orders
  • Stopped mother from getting both her and spouse's miscarriage thought
  • Refreshed material list when deleting uniform item
  • XML export now has the exact site rectangle

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

Mod considerations are as follows:

• bunch of new things in interface.txt as can be expected
  • three new announcement types in announcements.txt
  • reaction_other.txt has two new reactions at the bottom re: the stone axes
  • item_tool.txt has the said stone axe and the handle definitions at the bottom
  • new file: reaction_adv_carpenter.txt is big, girthy and all about being a furnituresmith in adventure mode

But nothing else! porting mods is going to be a breeze

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
How long for Therapist, do you think?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
Anywhere from a day to several months.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but am I dumb and misreading things or does this mean Adventurer Mode is now, if you choose it to be, effectively Fortress Mode lite? Like what's the whoel making sites thing

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Really really lite. You can chop down trees, carpenter up a furnished house and then claim it as your own site, which will be recognized as such in legends and entities (you included) can claim them for Fortress mode, but that's pretty much it.

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

scamtank posted:

Really really lite. You can chop down trees, carpenter up a furnished house and then claim it as your own site, which will be recognized as such in legends and entities (you included) can claim them for Fortress mode, but that's pretty much it.

You left out the part where currently all wooden furniture completely rots away and disappears within two hours.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Mygna posted:

You left out the part where currently all wooden furniture completely rots away and disappears within two hours.

Ah, the Sisyphean school of carpentry

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I kind of miss the version of DF where you had chasms and other overworld features, I wish Toady'd bring those back already.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Oh for gently caress's sake.

I just had a Were-Raccoon spiral. About 5 people got bit in the first encounter, and while I did label them Heretics, dfhack's cursecheck said everything was gravy. :downs: So of course a month later, three of them transform and bite like 6 more people.

I spend some time trolling through the combat reports, tagging anyone who was bitten and still alive, and then setting up burrows in spare bedrooms to try and lock them up into quarantine... except the flighty fucks won't stop praying and drinking and listening to stories ALL GODDAMN MONTH and, as soon as the moon is full, they transform and slaughter all but 5 people in the fort.

So now everyone is compromised, and I'm halting all jobs and production to try and trap these remaining bastards in their rooms when they finally deign to sleep, so that the next migrant wave can salvage things.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You're most of the way to an allwere fort don't back out now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

scamtank posted:

That's still pretty awesome though. Makes it way easier to scout for a potential fort location in Adventure mode.

Pretty good patch all in all; the work orders needed some love for a while now.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Games board has a bunch of new thread tags. You guys interested in a new one for DF?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Met posted:

Games board has a bunch of new thread tags. You guys interested in a new one for DF?

Let's go!

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
What's the most recent completed Goon LP? Bronzestabbed? Does anyone have a link?
Also does anyone know any good LPs of Masterwork? It always sounds so cool and fun, but I can barely play regular Fortress Mode, no way I can learn Fortress Mode ++. But fortunately DF, like Crusader Kings, is a game where the emergent nonsense/stories are generally more than entertaining enough to simply read without having need to necessarily experience first hand.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I last played this like 2 years ago. How does it run compared to then? Worse? The same?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

No major changes.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

why would the tag be anything but this

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

It has to be this one.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Chiming in for this one.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You interested in that thread tag change, scamtank?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

What, the OP gets a veto?
That's a baller option, go right ahead!

scamtank fucked around with this message at 14:39 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

Every action taken at your cabin pushed its contents forward by the age of the world, decaying the wooden furniture and tattering clothing.

I didn't see the cabins aging as my test worlds are usually very young, though I should have known when a corpse became bones overnight.