Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Jose posted:

i think i'm going to have to give up on a heavy weapon against nameless king there just isn't enough time to attack between his attacks to recover properly

that and the insane camera issues of trying to bait and attack and actually see it loving hell
Don't lock on!

I did him the other day with a Gargoyle Flame Hammer and it's perfectly possible, it's even quite easy because it poisebreaks so well so you will get those criticals in. You can hit the dragon's head easily:
- after he did the lightning spear + swoop attack, he'll land and do nothing for a second
- during the firebreath; listen for the audio cue, and he'll usually jump back for it. Run towards the dragon's neck, forwards and inwards to avoid the fire.
- when he tries to melee you. Keep the camera on the rider, check when he's about to slam down the weapon; it's tricky because it's super delayed.
- during his lightning slam.
- NOT during his combo, too risky.
- NOT after he lands from a downward fire breath, he can follow that up with a melee too quickly (you'll probably hit the dragon though, so risk-free for the last hit).

He himself is pretty loving tough, but also doable with the slow weapon. You have to be careful and deliberate anyway, it doesn't really add much if you can possibly one-two him instead of having to be content with a single hit. And three times critical attack during one bossfight is pretty drat sweet.

Liu posted:

you're better off, I did Siegwards quest the first time I played through out of a sense of completion but he makes the Yhorm fight a loving joke. This probably isn't what you want to hear but I honestly wouldn't bother worrying about it. The only thing I could suggest is maybe you didn't exhaust all his dialogue options every time you spoke to him? You can never tell with this game
If you know how Stormruler works, Yhorm is always a loving joke. It's the most disappointing fight in the game.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm not locking on but its not helping a great deal becuase i can't see poo poo and then i get hit by the nameless king on the back of the dragon because suddenly its blocking my view because it moved slightly or it does the fire breath but i miss my attacks just slightly because i've swapped to a faster smaller weapon that sometimes doesn't reach

i hate fights where it feels i'm fight the camera more than the boss

Jose fucked around with this message at 20:35 on May 8, 2016

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Yhorm is a cool fight and not every fight has to be difficult or challenging.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I felt like there were a lot of bosses with tricks or gimmicks in this game, but I prefer that to a bunch of boring looking dudes or tough normal enemies or whatever; half the normal enemies in this game have as complex and dangerous a moveset as the loving bosses in Dark Souls 1 anyway

Demon's Souls had a lot of "gimmicky" bosses too

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

argondamn posted:

Considering Yhorm is a Lord of Cinder, yes, he should be challenging. It feels like they intentionally designed Yhorm to be a joke so they could justify the boss-after-boss setup with Dancer.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

argondamn posted:

When Goku came back from training on King Kai's planet and kicked the poo poo out of the green guys and Nappa that was cool, charging your sword and the boss falling on the floor like a Life Alert commercial is not cool.

In my opinion of course.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm planning a PvP character around the dual katannas, but apparently they have really wonky scaling? As in, despite requiring 25 dex making them sharp actually results in them doing less damage than if they were uninfused. I'm not sure what kind of infusion to give them in light of that. Has anyone else tried them?

TaurusOxford posted:

Considering Yhorm is a Lord of Cinder, yes, he should be challenging. It feels like they intentionally designed Yhorm to be a joke so they could justify the boss-after-boss setup with Dancer.

Doesn't make sense since you can fight Yorhm before Aldrich. Whichever one you kill last is the one that teleports you.

argondamn posted:

Yhorm Deacons of the Deep is a cool fight and not every fight has to be difficult or challenging.

Agreed.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
So what's the verdict on this game? In terms of mechanics and gameplay variety is DS3 a closer sequel to Dark Souls, or a sequel to Dark Souls II?

I have about 1000h between DS1&2, but DS2 soured me just enough that I decided to hold off on buying this one. Was there any form of acknowledgment that the way they released SotFS was very poorly handled? I need to at least know they wont be pulling that bullshit again.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sanctum posted:

So what's the verdict on this game? In terms of mechanics and gameplay variety is DS3 a closer sequel to Dark Souls, or a sequel to Dark Souls II?

I have about 1000h between DS1&2, but DS2 soured me just enough that I decided to hold off on buying this one. Was there any form of acknowledgment that the way they released SotFS was very poorly handled? I need to at least know they wont be pulling that bullshit again.

you are so much the person this game is made for that lots of people who liked DS2 are mad about it

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Actually if I remember right that poster is a weird outlier in that they like Ds2 but got really really really mad that SotFS was made and they had to pay 20 dollars on the PC to play it.

Its not likely to happen again given that there probably isn't a new generation of consoles around the corner that DS3 will be incompatible with, but no guarantees.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Sanctum posted:

It's much more ds1 than ds2, including a shitload of areas that are just like ds1 with a slight twist. And if you liked the mechanics in ds1 more than 2, then this is for you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yhorm is the Bed of Chaos of DS3.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

Jesus dude, at least make a highlight reel or something. An hour?

It is :( I cut everything but the fighty bits. Theres like 80ish kills in the clip.

Group fights in DS3 are just agonisingly long sometimes because of how easy it is to heal. Heres a 3v1 clip thats trimmed to the absolute limit that's only that short because eustus was used 1 time. They often go on for way longer, and you can't just show yourself killing the host because thats super boring.

https://u.pomf.is/muwdib.mp4

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

this is brutally unfair

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You're right, Bed of Chaos was more intuitive.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Bed of Chaos required platforming though.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Jose posted:

i think i'm going to have to give up on a heavy weapon against nameless king there just isn't enough time to attack between his attacks to recover properly

that and the insane camera issues of trying to bait and attack and actually see it loving hell

Stand a little bit in front of the dragon's head. You won't have any difficulty seeing the boss or what he's doing. Be closer to the neck/head than you think you need to be when it's actually time to attack, though- I had the same trouble at first.

Rider does any of his attacks- roll in, underneath the neck, then attack. Finding the right angle can be tricky, but even with a slow weapon you can do it. Having a vertical strike to your weapon helps but isn't necessary.

Dragon head goes back to its left/your right- grounded flame breath incoming. Run at the neck and you have a poo poo load of time to wallop it.

Dragon roars and goes straight up- vertical fire breath incoming. Roll backwards a few times.

Dragon turns to its right/your left and takes off- it's going to fly around while the rider does a lightning bolt, then a swoop attack, then land. It's always the same direction, speed, and distance, so just stand still manually track them with the camera, and only roll to dodge the attack. Once you figure out where the dragon lands, relative to you, you can sprint in and get some hits in.

Dragon flies directly over you, with no warning- he's just repositioning a bit behind you. Turn around and sprint to get a hit in, although sometimes the rider will start an attack as soon as they land so watch out.

But seriously though- stand in front of the dragon, and you should not have any camera difficulties at all.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Yhorms bad and I liked Bed of Chaos better. He is quite cool looking howveer and the lor eis good.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Yhorm's such a good guy he paid for winrar.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Fister Roboto posted:

You're right, Bed of Chaos was more intuitive.

eww

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

I'm not convinced a single jump qualifies as platforming.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Samael posted:

gently caress this game :negative: What did I miss?

Gotta look for a window to jump in around the house where those Hand guys are

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

I like the part of the fight where the Storm Ruler's special attack appears to be 3 pixels wide and will fly straight through Yhorm on occasion.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

mastershakeman posted:

Dex sucks don't do it

Also I realised the one thing that should be patched: the iframe roll ring should only work at under 30% weight or wherever the fast roll cutoff is.

rolling iframes are literally the worst thing about PVP in Dark Souls [version number here]. Dodge? Sure; no problem. That means you don't get hit. But being suddenly and inexplicably incorporeal simply because you are rear end-over-elbows is just stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3I9r1mv47U

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I don't think there's a single frustrating boss in DS3, Wolnir comes close but doing his bracelets in a certain order makes the fight one of the easier ones.

I can understorm Yhorm being a weird case, you get plenty of hints and the item is right there by the throne, but it isn't clear at all that you needed to hold down the weapon art for a few seconds before unleashing it. I understood the gist of it straight away because it's a direct throw-back to the storm king in Demon's Souls, but that one worked straight off basic attacks. I think I probably died once or twice before cottoning onto it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Can you still get the NG rings in NG+, or are they replaced by their +1 counterparts?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

Uploaded my second sorcery run for anyone still wondering about sorcery. I included my equip screen when I thought of it. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxbANwLVeJ0

Great video, wanted to try a sorcerer against better judgment but so many of the bosses seemed like they would be impossible without it, like champion gundam who seemed like a matter of "use fast melee or get hosed," so it's good to see you can win without it. Can't believe the ending of that sulyvahn fight with purple dickweed bodyblocking you twice. It worries me that you had 35 int by the third boss in the game though, I am just not good enough to sink every single level into two stats and ignore health.

Did you use magic against all the normal enemies too or did you switch to non-FP consuming things there? Seems like you would have to use almost entirely blue estus for that to be sustainable. Any tips on what items to go for? You were doing fuckin insane damage with soul spear.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

But seriously though- stand in front of the dragon, and you should not have any camera difficulties at all.

my last attempt for the night mostly managed this and it went generally ok but thanks for tips on what attacks to expect. i think i could beat phase 2 pretty easily if it didn't come after phase 1

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Apparently you can actually just fight Yhorm straight-up like a normal boss; if you hit his legs enough he'll fall over and you can whale on his head Adjudicator-style. I don't know if this is true or not though.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Can you still get the NG rings in NG+, or are they replaced by their +1 counterparts?

they're still there, the +1s are in different locations

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yes. And in NG+2 you can grab all the NG and NG+ rings.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

Apparently you can actually just fight Yhorm straight-up like a normal boss; if you hit his legs enough he'll fall over and you can whale on his head Adjudicator-style. I don't know if this is true or not though.

I watched a 15 minute video of someone hitting him and it didnt happen. A troll methinks

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

I watched a 15 minute video of someone hitting him and it didnt happen. A troll methinks

Laaaaame.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

theres a video fo someone soul spearing him to death

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I fought him the other day and he definitely fell over. I think you have to actually be damaging his head with projectiles though and hacking at his legs does nothing. Also the special riposte you get on his head still didn't do enough damage for me to tolerate slinging spells, so I just used storm ruler anyways.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

He's a straight up lovely boss who cannot be fought normally (unless you have the patience of a saint or a cheesy full Sorcery build). loving Old Iron King is a better fight than him, and I complained a lot about that fight back in the DS2 thread.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sanctum posted:

Neither, it's most like Demon's Souls. If you haven't played that one, I guess I'd call it a mix of the two with a hint of Bloodborne mixed in.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

1) What did that invisible host use in the first clip? Hide Body? Never seen anybody flat out vanish like that and stay like it, other than a rare network glitch back in DS1 on PS3

2) What is it with so many people using the Hollow Ring on PC? Did all the people with 1000+ hour Skyrim-etc characters who want to look pretty at all times and costs preferably with mods buy DS3?

Since it is the Cathedral, here's a helpful shortcut for all of us who invade there (and those who just want to bypass the giant)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5kBrjCXHU

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

MrLonghair posted:

2) What is it with so many people using the Hollow Ring on PC?

Fashion > Function