Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I'd rather keep it if I can find its usefulness in the coming days. It's mostly why I asked a question here less than ten posts ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

LODGE NORTH posted:

Tell me why I should care about this free thing that I never really wanted.

I dunno man, do you have needs that can be met with a tablet? If so, keep it and use it for those needs! If not, sell it or give it away. Can't really tell you how it's good for you without knowing anything about you. There're probably more than a million blog posts about why the iPad is good / not good for specific situations. Maybe start there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I think you should paint pretty pictures with your fingers then use them to write an award-winning children's book. Once it's published, you should produce a soundtrack for it using only iPad apps.

Or you could just read the Internet or whatever.

Sychopath
Sep 27, 2000

Housh posted:

Haha that solves both my gripes. Black magnet ordered!

If you've got the Smart Cover, the Pencil stick to the magnets on the side that opens.

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

LODGE NORTH posted:

I'd rather keep it if I can find its usefulness in the coming days. It's mostly why I asked a question here less than ten posts ago.

When I bought my first iPad (2, on the day it came out) I didn't really use it for about two months. It was always near me but I just...couldn't figure out what to use it for. I simply bought it because 'shiny new thing need to own!'.

And then, one day, it hit me that I hadn't turned on my PC or laptop for about a month because I always just used the iPad instead. It just took a while, but it completely changed the way I (and probably many others) do my electronics stuff.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

AlexF posted:

When I bought my first iPad (2, on the day it came out) I didn't really use it for about two months. It was always near me but I just...couldn't figure out what to use it for. I simply bought it because 'shiny new thing need to own!'.

And then, one day, it hit me that I hadn't turned on my PC or laptop for about a month because I always just used the iPad instead. It just took a while, but it completely changed the way I (and probably many others) do my electronics stuff.

Yup, iPad kind of crept in to daily use for me like that as well. My last computer upgrade was my first non-laptop in almost a decade, I just didn't need the portability any more.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

AlexF posted:

This is almost exactly why I sold my iPad 2. I had/have an iPhone and an iMac and used an MBP for school related things, so I couldn't see how the iPad fit into the equation. Right now, it's being used as an "I'm on the couch and want to check something" or essentially being used as a device that I use when I would use my iPhone when at home. I've only had it for one day so maybe it'll change, but we'll see.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I love it for reading and watching videos but I can still type much faster on my iPhone 5s. I'm still getting used to the dimensions of the software keyboard.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I use my iPad for basically anything I'd use paper for that doesn't lend itself to straight up typing. So like, pdf markup, demonstrating or sharing work stuff, collaborative markup, reading... I don't know, I hate paper and I don't know how I did my first degree without the iPad.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish rokform would come out with a mini 4 case. I hate this Survivor case

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I managed to get a Smart Cover and an iHome Mag Stealth case for a combined $40. So far, I am liking this iPad.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

tuyop posted:

I hate paper
Quite the statement IMO.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
So what is the deal with iPad Pro 13-inch pricing? Is it worth going on eBay or an Amazon reseller to get a 32GB model for under $700? It's so uncommon to see anything more than $20 off list price for Apple stuff that I'm confused and frightened :ohdear:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

neonnoodle posted:

So what is the deal with iPad Pro 13-inch pricing? Is it worth going on eBay or an Amazon reseller to get a 32GB model for under $700? It's so uncommon to see anything more than $20 off list price for Apple stuff that I'm confused and frightened :ohdear:

I'm going to guess those are "fell off a truck" discounted and Apple has the serials flagged in their systems already.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
MSRP for business customers who need solid expense receipts and support.

Lower price for more price sensitive customers looking for a deal, thus moving volume.

It wouldn't be the most unusual strategy for a product that isn't flying off the shelves.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Nothing falls off trucks anymore. They're probably stolen from a couple who doesn't know how to use iCloud lock.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

flosofl posted:

I'm going to guess those are "fell off a truck" discounted and Apple has the serials flagged in their systems already.

The deals I've been posting are all legit from super high-volume sellers. It's easy to find a cheap, legit 13 inch Pro. Which is good because they're the best, even if people don't know it yet ^_^

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Taima posted:

The deals I've been posting are all legit from super high-volume sellers. It's easy to find a cheap, legit 13 inch Pro. Which is good because they're the best, even if people don't know it yet ^_^

Where are these deals you've been posting

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If you're willing to be patient even the official resellers will discount their Mac and iPad stock from time to time. You just have to keep an eye out and wait. I can't recall if the 12" pro has gotten that treatment get but its probably just a matter of time.

Otherwise just wait for whenever a refurb becomes available, which might take a while since even the mini 4 isn't up there yet.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

ijyt posted:

Is the 12.9" Pro more likely to stick to a November update cycle or follow the 9.7" and last a few months longer?

I can't help shake the feeling that if I buy one now I'll be kicking myself in 6 months because of some little updates that seem minor but make the daily experience nicer, such as a magnetic, wirelessly charging Pencil. Though hopefully they'd make that backwards compatible with the Smart Connector interface and have the magnets in the Pencil. ForceTouch would be nice too.

So I ended up getting the whole iPad Pro set up and my goodness this thing is fast. Such a nice change from my OG Galaxy Note 10.1 which just because slow as gently caress after the first update (classic Samsung). It's pretty much replaced my 2009 MBP too - I was dubious about the smart keyboard but it's very nice to type on, and sits fine on your lap. I think the Surface Pro typecover is a lot nicer in terms of being svelte, but the travel on the smart keyboard isn't mushy liked it appeared it would be. And the Apple Pencil is amazingly good, it's put my Cintiq purchase on indefinite hold. Apple's got me converting from Android for the first time since 2008.

Here's hoping for a Mac Mini refresh this WWDC so I can get Astropad on this beauty.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Did you get the big one?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

neonnoodle posted:

Did you get the big one?

Yeah, the extra canvas space was more important than 3D touch, I also assumed I wouldn't want the screen changing its temperature and messing with my perception of colours. No regret, other than having nowhere to put the pencil. I guess it's heavier than the other iPads, but I have no idea how they got this so thin and light. Haven't been this mystified by a piece of tech since the original iPhone.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

LODGE NORTH posted:

Where are these deals you've been posting

Well you can look in my recent history in this thread if you want, I posted two different deals in April, but they're expired.

There is nothing that I'm aware of currently. Deals come around once every 2-3 weeks, and it's well worth waiting. The last deal was 32GB 13 inch Pro for $640 on the 20th of last month.

I'll keep an eye out and post here when I see something pop up.

ijyt posted:

So I ended up getting the whole iPad Pro set up and my goodness this thing is fast. Such a nice change from my OG Galaxy Note 10.1 which just because slow as gently caress after the first update (classic Samsung). It's pretty much replaced my 2009 MBP too - I was dubious about the smart keyboard but it's very nice to type on, and sits fine on your lap. I think the Surface Pro typecover is a lot nicer in terms of being svelte, but the travel on the smart keyboard isn't mushy liked it appeared it would be. And the Apple Pencil is amazingly good, it's put my Cintiq purchase on indefinite hold. Apple's got me converting from Android for the first time since 2008.

Here's hoping for a Mac Mini refresh this WWDC so I can get Astropad on this beauty.

Yeah, it's fast as hell. And the 4GB of ram really is a game changer that people tend to underestimate or not think about, but it will keep the device relevant for an additional year or two compared to the small Pro which has half the ram.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

ijyt posted:

Yeah, the extra canvas space was more important than 3D touch

The 9.7" Pro doesn't have 3D Touch either. (I know this doesn't really matter for you but I didn't want somebody else to get the wrong impression.)

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

CaptainCaveman posted:

The 9.7" Pro doesn't have 3D Touch either. (I know this doesn't really matter for you but I didn't want somebody else to get the wrong impression.)

Ah, my mistake, not sure why I thought it did.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I finally picked up the Apple Pencil. Does palm rejection not work in the notes.app? Do I turn it on somewhere?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Housh posted:

I finally picked up the Apple Pencil. Does palm rejection not work in the notes.app? Do I turn it on somewhere?

It works fine there for me?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I had to restart the app and now it works. It was weird because Notes was detecting my palm but Onenote worked fine. Everything is all good now. Can't wait until the magnet cover for the pencil comes in the mail. I love how fast the pencil charges and how it feels. Good buy.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I am close to becoming a full blown Apple addict. I messed around with the Pro 12.9 today and holy crap do I want one despite not having any reason to need one.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Tide posted:

I am close to becoming a full blown Apple addict. I messed around with the Pro 12.9 today and holy crap do I want one despite not having any reason to need one.

One of us…

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Tide posted:

Speaking of addict, now I love my 13-inch iPP but want a 10-inch iPP for sitting around the house WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this

mediaphage posted:

Speaking of addict, now I love my 13-inch iPP but want a 10-inch iPP for sitting around the house WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

I think you will be somewhat amazed by how much smaller it is. After playing around with both some more the 9.7" seems positively puny.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BottleKnight posted:

I think you will be somewhat amazed by how much smaller it is. After playing around with both some more the 9.7" seems positively puny.

Yeah, my last iPad was the iPad 3, so the iPP was a big upgrade (but didn't feel much heavier). Then my SO got given an iPad Air 2 for work and I'm super jealous of its size, but I might be divorced if I go buy one.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MrBond posted:

One of us…

Oh I've gone pretty much full Appletard. We have two 6s, air 2, mini 4, 27" iMac, and still have a second gen iPad that just won't die. For some reason, I just want an iPP 12.9 despite having absolutely zero need for one

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Is there anything neat to do with an ipad 1 beyond using it for a really, really heavy frisbee?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Digital picture frame?

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
A slightly wobbly chopping board?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Wobbly chopping boards aren't safe.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

withak posted:

Wobbly chopping boards aren't safe.

Possibly a little safer than a 1.5lb frisbee.

It's disappointing how something so substantial is so useless. The screen still looks good, The battery still lasts 5-6 hours, but modern web pages crash the browser, no new apps work with 5.1.1, even small PDFs take 5+ seconds a page to load, i don't remember it being that bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Still fine for watching downloaded mostly sd video like in the kitchen or whatever. Honestly I'd just put it in goodwill or recycle it tho because im too spoiled to deal with slow iPads.