Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Suicide Squad is still a film that seems to have an equal chance of being good and being a flaming train wreck so a lot of the critical reaction may hinge on just whether it holds together at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The story editing really wasn't a problem for me. It would be typical at this point to make some kind of stupid food metaphor like, "sure the Marvel-movies are low calorie but sometimes you just want a big juicy burger," but rather than deal in metaphors about making GBS threads I'll just say sometimes it's good to suffer a little to consume your art.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It is a sick rear end car, you must agree.
Well, obviously, you're not going to flatten Captain America with some randomass jalopy

I'd rather drive a 2017 Audi than take Turkish Airlines so I guess BvS is objectively the inferior film.

Lookit that combat roll. They roll like ISIS in that one hilarious Vice video. Coincidence??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM3ElTvF52I

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Are you sure those were people and not the fine 2017 Audi R8 V10 Plus?
Even as the mighty Avengers break into Civil War, their affinity for best-in class, high performance and state of the art technology in their vehicles ties them together.
Are you suggesting that the demise of a car is less tragic than that of a human being? Because a human being may be a unique organism that will never be repeated, but to focus on that would negate the qualities of the Ford Focus SE and its standard rear-view camera, and its EPA estimated 36 highway gallons per mile.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
And that's not even a euphemism I was eye-watering, toe-tapping needing to piss by the end of this movie monster.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Harime Nui posted:

And that's not even a euphemism I was eye-watering, toe-tapping needing to piss by the end of this movie monster.
Did you not have a jar?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Somebody in my party ordered Blue Moon so if I'd borrowed their glass I probably coulda got away with it :dance:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

I have no idea how much of the good parts of any of his movies are him and how much is The Nolans/other people maybe he's just a slick suit who slaps his name onto stuff other people polished but frankly after a certain number of "well this line was really bad but the acting saved it" moments I'm not going to even call it bad. He has a talent for boiling characters down to a few statements and making big "ONE SHALL STAND, ONE SHALL FALL" type moments.

I wouldn't compare anything from this movie to a line that has endured in its franchise for next to thirty years. The only thing from BvS that's proving to be as memetic is "Martha".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harime Nui posted:

The story editing really wasn't a problem for me. It would be typical at this point to make some kind of stupid food metaphor like, "sure the Marvel-movies are low calorie but sometimes you just want a big juicy burger," but rather than deal in metaphors about making GBS threads I'll just say sometimes it's good to suffer a little to consume your art.

I don't agree. I don't really have an argument against it, I just fundamentally do not believe this. It just goes against what I believe in when it comes to my personal art. I just don't like making bad things, if I can help it.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

TFRazorsaw posted:

The only thing from BvS that's proving to be as memetic is "Martha".
Piss jar will go far.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
The X-Men film is coming out in nine days. I won't hold my breath, because only some of the X-Men films have been well-written and none of them have good action.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TFRazorsaw posted:

I wouldn't compare anything from this movie to a line that has endured in its franchise for next to thirty years. The only thing from BvS that's proving to be as memetic is "Martha".

"You're not brave. Men are brave. Time to learn what it means to be a man."

"Maybe Superman was just the dream of a dead farmer."

"Maybe it's the Gotham boy in me, but I have a problem with freaks dressed like clowns."

And so-on.

It's not a question of what lines will be meme-tastic on the internet but straight-to-the-point dialogue that sets up the conflict and tells you who a character is and their mood. It raises the goalposts, so to speak, about the conflict being played out. Goyer's very good at giving that thing a raw emotional immediacy. Quite a few lines from Man of Steel have stuck with me and I've seen that movie twice since it came out three years ago. Then you have the plethora of immortalized lines from the Dark Knight trilogy. And of course, "some motherfucker's always trying to ice-skate uphill." I have no idea how much of that is Goyer but his movies definitely tend towards that kind of polarizing no-bullshitting dialogue.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Kurzon posted:

The X-Men film is coming out in nine days. I won't hold my breath, because only some of the X-Men films have been well-written and none of them have good action.

I'm extremely jazzed for X-Men Apocalypse.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think anyone's gonna forget "DO YOU BLEED" either.
I had a lot of fun with the dialogue and writing in BvS, it felt like a play for some reason. Gotta translate BvS to the stage.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

CelticPredator posted:

I don't agree. I don't really have an argument against it, I just fundamentally do not believe this. It just goes against what I believe in when it comes to my personal art. I just don't like making bad things, if I can help it.

SUFFERING BUILDS CHARACTER, KAL CP

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

When Days of Future Past came out I was on holiday in London, had some downtime and thought, what the hell, let's see the movie. Now I'll be in London the week Age of Apocalypse opens. I guess I better pack the 3D glasses. How many times until I can't claim coincidence anymore and have to think of it as a cause/effect relation?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harime Nui posted:

Watching lovely movies only makes me want to not watch any more lovely movies.

Although, I'm gettin real tired of movies lately anyway, but that's aside the point!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Harime Nui posted:

"You're not brave. Men are brave. Time to learn what it means to be a man."

"Maybe Superman was just the dream of a dead farmer."

"Maybe it's the Gotham boy in me, but I have a problem with freaks dressed like clowns."

And so-on.

It's not a question of what lines will be meme-tastic on the internet but straight-to-the-point dialogue that sets up the conflict and tells you who a character is and their mood. It raises the goalposts, so to speak, about the conflict being played out. Goyer's very good at giving that thing a raw emotional immediacy. Quite a few lines from Man of Steel have stuck with me and I've seen that movie twice since it came out three years ago. Then you have the plethora of immortalized lines from the Dark Knight trilogy. And of course, "some motherfucker's always trying to ice-skate uphill." I have no idea how much of that is Goyer but his movies definitely tend towards that kind of polarizing no-bullshitting dialogue.

The immortal lines from the Nolanverse that stuck with me are things like "Why do we fall?", "Why so serious", "Let's put a smile on that face!", "Some men want to watch the world burn", and Gordon's final speech at the end. Nothing I've seen from BvS has proven as immediately and positively enduring (in a prophetic sense) as those were when they were heard for the first time. I think for a line to achieve what you're saying, to have the effect they did, they need to pull that off.

Whereas BvS's memorable lines are getting the "Bane?" treatment.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 8, 2016

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Kurzon posted:

Days of Future Past had some really awesome fights

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

CelticPredator posted:

Although, I'm gettin real tired of movies lately anyway, but that's aside the point!

in all seriousness you've got to do you, friend.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I like how we've gone from "BvS sucked because Batman kills people <no further push on why thats important>" to "BvS sucked because it didn't inspire enough internet memes".

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

If anything, I'm chastising it for creating one too many of them.

It's more a response to the idea that the movie has simple, memorable, character encapsulating statements. I just don't feel it does, and it's demonstrated very little ability to do so in what I've experienced.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Harime Nui posted:

I think my grudge against Goyer is still the line "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." It's such a dumb, clumsy thing to say yet it caught on anyway.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

I like how we've gone from "BvS sucked because Batman kills people <no further push on why thats important>" to "BvS sucked because it didn't inspire enough internet memes".

BvS sucking is indisputable.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Goyer's good for at least 5 absolute clunkers per script, but I've begrudgingly come around to admitting the guy whose name is on the scripts featuring "some men just want to watch the world burn," "you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain," and "KRYPTON HAD ITS CHANCE" might have a knack for turning a memorable phrase every now and again

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

BvS sucking is indisputable.
BvS owed.

Just disputed you.

Peace out. Oh, and one love.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Crion posted:

Goyer's good for at least 5 absolute clunkers per script, but I've begrudgingly come around to admitting the guy whose name is on the scripts featuring "some men just want to watch the world burn," "you either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become a villain," and "KRYPTON HAD ITS CHANCE" might have a knack for turning a memorable phrase every now and again

Makes me wonder what the movie'd be like if Terrio hadn't come in, to be honest.

I'm not assailing Goyer here. I'm weighing in on the execution of this particular instance.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Gorn Myson posted:

People who have good things to say about BvS have better senses of humor & are babes

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think my grudge against Goyer is still the line "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain." It's such a dumb, clumsy thing to say yet it caught on anyway.

It would be better if "see yourself" was cut entirely but I think it's still pretty striking, even if the idea it conveys doesn't like, hold up, really

("cool thing that doesn't hold up to examination" being true of many of the Nolan Batman lines and plots)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

TFRazorsaw posted:

The immortal lines from the Nolanverse that stuck with me are things like "Why do we fall?", "Why so serious", "Let's put a smile on that face!", "Some men want to watch the world burn", and Gordon's final speech at the end. Nothing I've seen from BvS has proven as immediately and positively enduring (in a prophetic sense) as those were when they were heard for the first time. I think for a line to achieve what you're saying, to have the effect they did, they need to pull that off.

Whereas BvS's memorable lines are getting the "Bane?" treatment.

This is because it's not Snyder's style to infuse his shots with MEANING so that you know you're watching AN IMPORTANT FILM about VALUES (recall that shot of, idk, layed-up Bruce on his couch, any shot of Alfred looking worried, very Spielbergian shots and so-on). Snyder goes more for the Michael Bay school of connecting images through motifs and, to lean on this maybe a little too heavily, dream-logic. Nonetheless in both the Nolan trilogy and MoS/Beavis it seems Goyer's trademark is to set up the moral conflict with trailer-friendly (dare I say comic-booky) one-liners ("victory has defeated you/do you feel in charge," vs. "I will build my world upon the bones of this one," "you will fall, because you possess a morality, and we do not. That's evolution."*)

*I'm probably not getting the lines exactly right but retaining the idea of them is more the point since what Goyer does is set the tone or feel of the punchtastic conflicts with lines that are weighty or hopeless or vengeful or whatever.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Days of Future Past had some really awesome fights

For a film that was pretty bloodless, some of those future deaths had me cringing. I'd be horrified of those Sentinels too.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Hat Thoughts posted:

People who have good things to say about BvS have better senses of humor & are babes
Ta muchly mate. You aren't so bad yourself.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Gorn Myson posted:

The reason Batman killing in BvS didn't work for me is that I felt the film successfully sold me on how terrible a person this Batman had become, but didn't succeed in convincingly "redeeming" him in the end. This made the resolution of his and Superman's conflict ultimately fall flat for me.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I disagree on Snyder and I disagree even heavily on Michael Bay. These movies are not subtle, they bludgeon you over the head with their themes. Putting Superman in front of a depiction of Jesus in blue and red is as loud a value statement as you can get. Hell, judging by "Communion", he's already turning the more mythological and folklore-derived New Gods into generic-looking sci-fi versions of Judeo Christian demons.

It's not really the same as lines, but they speak to the same approach and execution.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

The thing is, If he's out for Justice League, I feel like most of my issues with Man of Steel and BvS would fade away.

Chris Terrio pretty much rewrote Goyer top-to-bottom on BvS, so...

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

CelticPredator posted:

How do you cope with the existence of works like Watchmen or Hamlet?

I'm not trying to be cruel, I'm just raising my eyebrows at the idea that tragedy is anathema to art.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh well then Justice League is gonna be another big piece of crap then!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
Batman killing in BvS was not a serious problem that brought down the film. Most moviegoers are not big readers of Batman comics and don't give a poo poo; to them he's just another action hero who kills bad guys. What brought BvS down is poorly thought-out characterization and dialogue. Look at the MCU films. Pretty much all the heroes there kill their enemies and those films are good (why don't you guys ever complain when Captain America kills Nazis?).

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HIJK posted:

How do you cope with the existence of works like Watchmen or Hamlet?

Watchmen and Hamlet are pretty great and I don't have to suffer through poor storytelling to find something in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad for the clarification that these things only apply to you, that way it's easy to disregard it as criticism.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 8, 2016

• Locked thread