Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

mostlygray posted:

Agreed when it's an affectation that is done on purpose. The thing is though, if you do watch a lot of UK tv, it just kind of happens and you don't realize it. I curse all day in everything from TJ slang to Serbo-Croation to Cantonese. When you work around people from other cultures, it changes your speech. TV does the same.

But who is going to admit "Oh, yeah, I'm just doing it to sound cool"? They're ALL going to say "Oh, I guess I just have an ear for languages, I can't help that I picked up a bad Australian accent after my week long vacation!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Murphy Brownback posted:

I can get being really focused on something, but you can't pretend you don't hear me. Just give some signal that you know I'm trying to talk to you, hold a finger up, something. Pretending like you actually do not hear me is just silly and annoying. 90% of the time if the situation were reversed you'd get your rear end reamed about it.

Gonna play devil's advocate for this, because I've seen some folks get REALLY upset if they're not treated like the most urgent, important thing right at that very moment. As in, rude people who think their problem/question is the most pressing thing ever, and whomever they're talking to needs to STOP what they're doing and FIX their issue NOW and HOW DARE THEY put up a finger or tell someone to WAIT :argh: I've had guys in sales hover over my shoulder at work because one of their monitors stopped working and they don't understand that, no, I'm not pulling myself away from a critical problem with a client because they can't be bothered to wait or ask someone else for help.

Cool, let me come into your office and hover over your shoulder bitching about how much you're charging our clients for services and how it's too much and you don't need to make THAT much for profit margin oh by the way <order> needs to be processed RIGHT loving NOW because <client> can't wait and NO EXCUSES JUST loving DO IT goddamn why are you making this so DIFFICULT?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

El Cid posted:

But who is going to admit "Oh, yeah, I'm just doing it to sound cool"? They're ALL going to say "Oh, I guess I just have an ear for languages, I can't help that I picked up a bad Australian accent after my week long vacation!"

Yeah but it does actually happen and you can tell when someone is putting it on as an affectation because they like to draw attention to it and make sure you notice how worldly and cultured they are, whereas people who are actually multilingual just roll with it. Learning multiple languages changes the way you think, and if you immerse yourself in anything long enough certain things just rub off on you.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I really only see it on social media, mostly from one annoying dude who watches too much Sherlock.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'll curse with "bloody hell" at work to stop myself from blurting something far worse.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Davros1 posted:

I'll curse with "bloody hell" at work to stop myself from blurting something far worse.

Only sort of related, but I got into a bad habit of saying things like "darn it", "oopsie doodle" and other mince words. I can't help myself and I hate it, and it's so embarrassing to slip on a patch of ice and yell "oopie-doop" really loud rather than something normal, like "poo poo".

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Even if it's a really obvious, simple question, I hate it when the answer is a variation of "first answer on Google/let me Google that for you".

You're not obliged to answer someone's stupid/idle/simple enquiry on a forum, so why act as if your time is being wasted in such a manner?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I have an irrational dislike of the phrase I've never been when you've never been somewhere.

The phrase is "I've never been there", goddammit, and I'd genuinely love to know where not using the last word comes from.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

cash crab posted:

Only sort of related, but I got into a bad habit of saying things like "darn it", "oopsie doodle" and other mince words. I can't help myself and I hate it, and it's so embarrassing to slip on a patch of ice and yell "oopie-doop" really loud rather than something normal, like "poo poo".

I do this with "gosh dangit". I always feel like an idiot when it comes out but I can't stop.

Also yes, it should be "I've never been there" MisterBibs. I think the removal of "there" is just another britishism thing, especially if they pronounce been like "bean". They probably heard someone say it in their british show of choice and thought it sounded sophisticated and started doing it too.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

I'm not American but I used to say "bean" until someone sort of bullied me out of it. I still drop my h's, but also my g's which makes me a good fit for an Irish bar in Canada, as the locals and the tourists love it and can't tell the difference.

Peeve: That obligation to add aged relatives to Facebook which means you have to watch eight year-old videos once again because they posted it to your wall. Haha, yeah. Thanks. I "like" this,

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

cash crab posted:

I'm not American but I used to say "bean" until someone sort of bullied me out of it. I still drop my h's, but also my g's which makes me a good fit for an Irish bar in Canada, as the locals and the tourists love it and can't tell the difference.

Peeve: That obligation to add aged relatives to Facebook which means you have to watch eight year-old videos once again because they posted it to your wall. Haha, yeah. Thanks. I "like" this,

I'd rather have old videos than the 5-10 Trump memes/"can we get 1000 Likes for this boy he get cancer So Sad. Amen." things my dad posts on mine every single day. I had to set my wall as visible to only me because he'll flip out if I tell him to stop and I don't want people to think I'm associated with any of that.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

cash crab posted:

My roommates are very religious and one of them says things like "drat," "gosh" or even "golly" (he's in his early 30s). Lately though I've heard him say "poo poo" a few times and even let out a couple of "gently caress"s without batting an eye. I think I'm a corrupting influence.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

cash crab posted:

Also, sometimes I turn into an old-timey prospector and say things like "consarn it". Or just say "Curses!"

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

Murphy Brownback posted:

I can get being really focused on something, but you can't pretend you don't hear me. Just give some signal that you know I'm trying to talk to you, hold a finger up, something. Pretending like you actually do not hear me is just silly and annoying. 90% of the time if the situation were reversed you'd get your rear end reamed about it.

My point is that maybe she doesn't actually hear you. In my own case people have finally gotten my attention and said, "Didn't you hear me talking to you just now?" and no, no I really didn't. :(

But if you know for sure she can hear you and she's just blowing you off that is pretty lovely.

My current peeve is that my dog likes to chew on my hands. If I hide my hands he digs for them, if I pull them away he lunges for them, if I tell him no he barks at me and gets even more frantic about going after them. He used to only do it occasionally but now he's obsessed with chewing on my loving hands and he won't stop arraghghg stop chewing on my hands stop chewing on my hands bad dog

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

I am working as a hostess, behind a big host stand, next to a sign that says "the hostess will be happy to seat you", and yet people still go out of their way to sneak past me, hide in a booth and then yell at the server for not seeing them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

I have an irrational dislike of the phrase I've never been when you've never been somewhere.

The phrase is "I've never been there", goddammit, and I'd genuinely love to know where not using the last word comes from.

I don't get it. It doesn't seem abnormal - or even wrong - to leave off the last word. It's like if someone says "Do you drink alcohol" and then you say "No, I don't drink" or any other situation where you can optionally leave off the object of a verb.

While there are some situations where it can sound weird (for example someone saying "I've never watched" in response to someone asking if they've watched a movie), that obviously isn't an issue if a bunch of people are already speaking that way.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

While there are some situations where it can sound weird (for example someone saying "I've never watched" in response to someone asking if they've watched a movie), that obviously isn't an issue if a bunch of people are already speaking that way.

If a bunch of people started saying "I've never watched", it'd just be as weird as "I've never been". :colbert:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Another similar thing is "come with", like "hey can I come with?" when you're going somewhere. It just doesn't sound like a complete sentence even though it's obvious what they mean. It's kind of a silly thing to be annoyed by but so is pretty much everything else posted in here.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

when you watch Jeremy Kyle constantly

Why do this to yourself? It's pretty close to self harming.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
People referring to their pets as their children. I've seen so many posts by young, childless people today including themselves in Mother's Day celebrations because of their dog or cat.

Doesn't help that my mom refers to my sister's dog as her granddog.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

MisterBibs posted:

If a bunch of people started saying "I've never watched", it'd just be as weird as "I've never been". :colbert:

Actually, after thinking about this for a bit I think you might have a point. The example I gave ("No, I don't drink" in response to "Do you drink alcohol") isn't that good because "drinking" is also used to refer specifically to the act of drinking alcohol, so an object isn't necessary. While it's still not grammatically wrong, it does seem to sound awkward in most situations to leave off the object, even if it's heavily implied. That being said, because it's not actually wrong it doesn't bother me much if it starts to catch on and become more popular.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Also if you answer with "I don't drink... wine" people will just think you're into vampires.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Something that's gotten increasingly common, I've noticed, is people making video tutorials instead of a simple list of instructions. I don't care to watch a 12 minute video going over the little minutia of setting up a terminal command so I can run a python debugger, I just want to skim the instructions and quickly get back to work.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

cash crab posted:

I am working as a hostess, behind a big host stand, next to a sign that says "the hostess will be happy to seat you", and yet people still go out of their way to sneak past me, hide in a booth and then yell at the server for not seeing them.

God, the outside entrance to our patio was the bane of my existence as a hostess. We had huge signs on it saying "Go Inside To Be Seated" and yet still people would still enter the patio during the full lunch rush, help themselves to an unbussed table, and ask me when I got there (we were also the bussers, yay) for menus and drinks.

No, assholes, another family has been waiting for this table for 20 minutes. Go get in line. (... is what I didn't say, because unless there was no other option we had to just let them know the rules "for next time".)

The second bane of my existence was the phrase "Ooh, can we have a booth by the window?" usually followed by "Like that one right there?" when I was trying desperately to seat people in literally any other place, because we had exactly three "booths by the window", and exactly two servers who had them each night, meaning those two were constantly rushing and everyone else was missing out on tables/tips and basically no one ever smiled at me.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
The fact that certain customers seem to think insurance companies are inherently evil and we get our paychecks by refusing to compensate their damages.

Also those who literally think we are a bank.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

WaltherFeng posted:

The fact that certain customers seem to think insurance companies are inherently evil and we get our paychecks by refusing to compensate their damages.

Do you work for an American insurance company, out of curiosity?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Parasol Prophet posted:

The second bane of my existence was the phrase "Ooh, can we have a booth by the window?" usually followed by "Like that one right there?" when I was trying desperately to seat people in literally any other place, because we had exactly three "booths by the window", and exactly two servers who had them each night, meaning those two were constantly rushing and everyone else was missing out on tables/tips and basically no one ever smiled at me.
Well, that's clearly a problem with the way it was set up and run. If you know those three tables are going to be in the highest demand, you need to account for that.

WaltherFeng posted:

The fact that certain customers seem to think insurance companies are inherently evil
Well, they're not wrong.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Henchman of Santa posted:

People referring to their pets as their children. I've seen so many posts by young, childless people today including themselves in Mother's Day celebrations because of their dog or cat.

Doesn't help that my mom refers to my sister's dog as her granddog.

This drives me nuts, too. I love animals, but i don't have children because, guess what? I don't want them! I can't leave a baby alone for a day while I go skydive, or hire someone to come feed my baby for an hour a day while I go on vacation. I do consider my pets family, but they're not children. My mom insisted that I was "like a mom" because I have a cat. No, mom, when I squeeze out or adopt a squalling child, then I will be a parent. Right now, I am a single, childfree woman who happens to have a cat.

Between the "my mom is the best mom" posts and the "happy mothers day to all the fur moms out there," Facebook was insufferable yesterday.

Unrelated peeve: while we've gone over catcallers at length, this really isn't about this but rather the mansplaining behind it. Since I run a lot in a downtown area, I get catcalled a lot. Most of them are easily ignored: honks, "drat"s, and "hey baby where you goin"s. But a few are either really creative, really gross, or really scary, and I sometimes post them (and my reaction) on Facebook. Most comments are of the "I'm sorry you have to deal with that" and the "wow, that's awful" type. But yesterday I got a lecture on how I should move to his town (some 90 minutes away) because he and his dog never get catcalled. I mentioned offhand that I've lived several different places and that this is not a new phenomenon.*

He then messaged me to explain that if I really wanted him to, he would come and run with me with his shotgun (eyeroll). First off, I run 50-60 miles a week, and there's no way this little turd can keep up. Second, I have my own piece and could carry it if I want to, but I don't think getting in a gunfight over some catcalls is the wisest decision. Third, this bald little short guy who looks like a munchkin from Wizard of Oz trying to run 22 miles with a shotgun in his hands is the funniest mental picture I've had in a long time.

I didn't respond to his message, so today he messages me: "you know I was trying to compliment you, right?"

I really want to say, "I'm pretty sure those catcallers think they're trying to compliment me, too, and we know how I feel about them."

*In the interest of fairness, what I actually said was "lol if you think men are any different anywhere else."

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Parasol Prophet posted:

God, the outside entrance to our patio was the bane of my existence as a hostess. We had huge signs on it saying "Go Inside To Be Seated" and yet still people would still enter the patio during the full lunch rush, help themselves to an unbussed table, and ask me when I got there (we were also the bussers, yay) for menus and drinks.

No, assholes, another family has been waiting for this table for 20 minutes. Go get in line. (... is what I didn't say, because unless there was no other option we had to just let them know the rules "for next time".)

I get that people don't necessarily understand how seating works but some people really seem like they're entirely new to dining. We're a steakhouse in the middle of the theatre district, so if you come in on a Saturday night and there are six of you, I can't help you! I know that booth is open, someone reserved it!

At the risk of opening a can of worms here, people who vape in bars or on the train are assholes. I get that its legally permissible, but that doesn't mean that you aren't being an inconsiderate dickhead.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Between the "my mom is the best mom" posts and the "happy mothers day to all the fur moms out there," Facebook was insufferable yesterday.

I try not to be all MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEEAAAAAADDDDDDDD (Batman-leap through the window) but, well, my parents have been dead for more than a decade, I don't really think about either Mothers Day or Fathers Day that much at the moment, and there's no un-awkward way to bring this up when strangers/acquaintances are all SO DID YOU CALL YOUR MOM YET TODAY?

Like I could just mutter something about how my mother died thirteen years ago and make someone who, one presumes, means well feel like poo poo about something that I came to terms with, well, somewhat less than thirteen years ago. Or I could just lie about it which is no fun. Or I could dress up like a bat and fight crime, I suppose.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Tiggum posted:

Well, that's clearly a problem with the way it was set up and run. If you know those three tables are going to be in the highest demand, you need to account for that.

Oh, definitely. They did sometimes break up the booths into three sections to mitigate the server problem, but when there's only three tables everyone wants in the whole place (the only ones with a full view of the water) there's only so much you can do.

Basically I grew to dread the phrase because it signaled a potential hassle, not because I thought it was the customer's fault.

But gently caress everyone who threw a fit insisting we put a high chair in the aisle at the end of a booth even though we told them it's both a fire hazard and a somebody-tripping-and-knocking-over-your-baby hazard.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

WaltherFeng posted:

Also those who literally think we are a bank.

You must either be delusional or not work for vehicle/homeowner's insurance whatsoever, because both are absolute scum and the very definition of "inherently evil". Sure you don't get your checks by being a pain in the rear end, but people will see you as guilty by association for being employed by said company and not helping (even if you can't do anything to help).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I shudder to think what sort of problems you've gotten into (or what lovely insurance you have) that lead to lovely situations that promote a "insurance companies are pure evil" mentality. Out of everyone involved in my car(s) getting smashed to poo poo, the insurance company was the smoothest part of it.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

WaltherFeng posted:

An old lady backed into my parent's backyard fence and took out a section of it. Their home insurance only paid $400 of the $850 repair bill because they make their payouts based on the "average cost" of a similar repair. Get hosed.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MisterBibs posted:

I shudder to think what sort of problems you've gotten into (or what lovely insurance you have) that lead to lovely situations that promote a "insurance companies are pure evil" mentality. Out of everyone involved in my car(s) getting smashed to poo poo, the insurance company was the smoothest part of it.

Insurance companies are evil.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Insurance companies are evil.

Insurance companies provide a good and proper service whose customers are in a pissy mood when having to deal with them. Anyone who works with people like that (especially with an 'your job is inherently evil' delusion going on) deserve medals.

Closest I ever got to that, luckily, was working as a food server at a kitchen. One of the first things you learn is that you're not dealing with people in their best moments.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Peeve: someone asks you for a favor and you turn them down for a logical reason (you have to work, the notice is too short, thing is too expensive, etc) and then you feel like crap after because maybe you could have helped but you already said no.

Tell me I'm not the only person who does this.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Peeve: someone asks you for a favor and you turn them down for a logical reason (you have to work, the notice is too short, thing is too expensive, etc) and then you feel like crap after because maybe you could have helped but you already said no.

Would they do the same favor for you? Probably not. gently caress 'em.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Cowslips Warren posted:

What up, random guilt buddy? There are days where I feel like an angrier version of Ronnie from Whomp! comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

MisterBibs posted:

Insurance companies provide a good and proper service whose customers are in a pissy mood when having to deal with them. Anyone who works with people like that (especially with an 'your job is inherently evil' delusion going on) deserve medals.

Closest I ever got to that, luckily, was working as a food server at a kitchen. One of the first things you learn is that you're not dealing with people in their best moments.

Insurance companies are evil. The people working for them are usually not, but the companies are. As far as they're concerned, you're a big dollar sign with a betting odd attached.