Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Shannow posted:

So turns out high level bluecop/watchdog/aldtrich is going strong and an absolute hoot. Got summoned as a bluecop after the pontiff and wa getting 3 ears and a couple of vertebrae shackles per invasion and getting summoned pretty much every 5 minutes.
The only issue im having now is im in NG++ and getting my rear end handed to me every time I try and hand in my human dregs by those horrific cocodogpossums.

Bait them one by one, and then hit them in the mouth. And that ain't a smart rear end like get gud response. Hitting them in mouth especially during that lighting attack they do, it acts like a huge stunner which you go up to their guts and then visceral them and watch as they wriggle on the floor unable to get back up.

(no seriously, they don't get back up)

edit: Though i was using the Chaos Fire Orb which stuns enemies pretty hard so it might take more than one hit in the mouth.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

What's the cutoff for the Anri wedding questline? I'm hollowed enough, Horace is no longer a problem, but she never showed up in Church of Yorshka. I've also talked with Yuria as much as I can.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ohrwurm posted:

What's the cutoff for the Anri wedding questline? I'm hollowed enough, Horace is no longer a problem, but she never showed up in Church of Yorshka. I've also talked with Yuria as much as I can.

Did you talk to her twice in the Catacombs?

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Shindragon posted:

Bait them one by one, and then hit them in the mouth. And that ain't a smart rear end like get gud response. Hitting them in mouth especially during that lighting attack they do, it acts like a huge stunner which you go up to their guts and then visceral them and watch as they wriggle on the floor unable to get back up.

(no seriously, they don't get back up)

edit: Though i was using the Chaos Fire Orb which stuns enemies pretty hard so it might take more than one hit in the mouth.

That's what i'm doing, i keep getting one shotted in the ladder alcove when the fucker spins around. The second one is less of a problem because the pillars are there at least. If i can put the first one down.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Yeah first one is a bitch. I hate that rear end in a top hat. That one I did was try to bait it and go up that ladder as quick as I can and then plunge attack it. (not going all the way up the ladder mind you, just half way because it's pretty awesome you can still do a plunging attack by dropping off the ladder)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

ohrwurm posted:

The Anri cutoff seems to be pretty late. I was doing some mop-up after finishing my first run, intending to go with the basic Link the Fire ending, when I first discovered the existence of the Smoldering Lake, cheesed it, killed Horace, ran into Anri in the Catacombs, and then had Anri show up again in the church in Irithyll. Yuria's dialogue at that point indicated that the wedding was all set to go so I deliberately didn't head back to the Darkmoon Tomb, and this was all immediately before taking on the Soul of Cinder.

Internet Kraken posted:

:byodood: HAW HAW HAW

What annoys me the most is when they smack you in the face with their bible.

Groovelord Neato posted:

bed of chaos is the worst boss in any of the games.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

TaurusOxford posted:

Did you talk to her twice in the Catacombs?

I thought I did, but I'll go back to the catacombs to see if she's still hanging out there.

Weird, went to the catacombs again, she wasn't there. Went immediately to Church of Yorshka. She's there.

ohrwurm fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 9, 2016

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
So, I'm going to try and build a combo-buff build. With beacon, and assuming I can stay at max health when attacking, that'll leave me with a pretty hefty +50% damage boost, and +35% once the beacon wears off. Basically, I'm trying to make the most out of multiple quick R1 hits, and the awesome Multi-stab Weapon Art when possible.

Weapon
+10 Refined Ricard's Rapier

Rings:
Pontiff's Right Eye (+15% after 7ish hits)
Lloyd's Sword Ring (+20% Damage)
Lingering Dragoncrest Ring
Chloranthy Ring

Spells:
Carthus Beacon (+7.5% base, +15%, after 3-5ish hits)

I'm considering alternate builds to get the most use out of RR - Right now I've got a fairly standard SL 123 Quality build, but I think I can reinvest the points I have in STR into something else if I go for something different, so I'm trying to decide between:

Bloody Build
Blood RR, Dex and Luck build. In that case, I can't use Carthus Beacon or Rouge, so I'd be relying on the multiple hits to deal as much bleed damage as often as possible.

Hollow Build
Hollow RR, Dex, Luck, + Carthus Rouge. This seems like it would be to strongest option, and most stat efficient. I could reinvest most of my STR points into VIG and Luck. The luck stat would boost the bleed buildup from Rouge, and RR would still have decent Dex scaling. I wouldn't be able to use Carthus Beacon, but I think the Bleed damage would significantly outpace it anyway. I haven't done any testing yet, but it seems like a Hollow Weapon with Rouge would trigger bleed most often than a regular blood weapon.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

mistaya posted:

The bosses have all been fun so far but the normal enemies in this game are a lot less so. Why do so many of them have an insta-kill attack? It's fine to put that on things like Mimics, where it's part of the challenge or the "hah SURPRISE!" , but giving an instakill to random goat monsters in the swamp or the crucifix guys in the woods just starts to feel cheap and not fun if you get hit. It makes fighting them at all a waste of time and a bad idea, which is a shame.

You running a glass cannon build or something? This isn't a problem if you have a decent amount of vigor.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Anyone use halberds?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
One thing I've discovered that I'm now having trouble reproducing is, outside the pontiff bonfire there're a couple rows of cobblestones that are raised and if you jump off them just right you won't roll after your jump, you'll just plant your feet.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think they wasted the profaned capital's potential, it's the lordvessel's resting place from DS1

I don't see the resemblance.

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

One thing I've discovered that I'm now having trouble reproducing is, outside the pontiff bonfire there're a couple rows of cobblestones that are raised and if you jump off them just right you won't roll after your jump, you'll just plant your feet.

Let go of the control stick after jumping.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

mistaya posted:

The bosses have all been fun so far but the normal enemies in this game are a lot less so. Why do so many of them have an insta-kill attack? It's fine to put that on things like Mimics, where it's part of the challenge or the "hah SURPRISE!" , but giving an instakill to random goat monsters in the swamp or the crucifix guys in the woods just starts to feel cheap and not fun if you get hit. It makes fighting them at all a waste of time and a bad idea, which is a shame.

None of those are guaranteed insta-kills, level up your vigor.

Haeleus
Jun 30, 2009

He made one fatal slip when he tried to match the ranger with the big iron on his hip.
I'm about to finish my NG+ playthrough and so far I'm a little underwhelmed, so much easier than NG due to my level/gear and most bosses have been one-shot due to having the same mechanics? I recall DS2's NG+ having some new challenges during boss fights besides just a bigger health bar. Is there anything to look forward to in NG+2 and beyond such as new mechanics/invasions during a boss or otherwise or is it the same thing over and over?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Walrus Pete posted:

None of those are guaranteed insta-kills, level up your vigor.

Yeah even the jump,attack should only do half.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

argondamn posted:

The best place to farm Avarice I think is at the Pontiff bonfire.

What does farming actually entail? I'm charming it to put it to sleep, but I'm only getting one item. I wait until it falls asleep to do it again, but nothing pops up. Do you have to rest at a bonfire between attempts?

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

Haeleus posted:

I'm about to finish my NG+ playthrough and so far I'm a little underwhelmed, so much easier than NG due to my level/gear and most bosses have been one-shot due to having the same mechanics? I recall DS2's NG+ having some new challenges during boss fights besides just a bigger health bar. Is there anything to look forward to in NG+2 and beyond such as new mechanics/invasions during a boss or otherwise or is it the same thing over and over?

Nope, the only thing that changes in NG+ and beyond are the +1/2/3 rings. It's not even difficult because the end game bosses are hardly scaled up at all so the only reason to do it is if you're achievement hunting or you're desperate for those +2 rings for PvP.

The Wonder Weapon posted:

What does farming actually entail? I'm charming it to put it to sleep, but I'm only getting one item. I wait until it falls asleep to do it again, but nothing pops up. Do you have to rest at a bonfire between attempts?

Charm, collect item, hit it with a bare fist to reset it, repeat.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Deckit posted:

I love the Enchanted Dancer Swords. So much so that I'll destroy every boss on NG+3 with them. Here's the first five. Dance on my friends. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5ogqMTEJPA

Holy crap those are so slow compared to the Gotthard Twinblades. And you move like an interpretive dancer. Not a good one though ,one of the REEEEALLY pretentious ones. I mean, if you like it, then good for you, but I no longer regret trading her soul in for Soothing Sunlight.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

tidiox posted:

Let go of the control stick after jumping.

That's amazing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

:byodood: HAW HAW HAW

What annoys me the most is when they smack you in the face with their bible.

The evangelists are the most terrifying enemy in the game to me and I can't fully explain why.

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

The evangelists are the most terrifying enemy in the game to me and I can't fully explain why.

Did you go to a Catholic school?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

It's probably the pear of agony on their belt.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

argondamn posted:

The best place to farm Avarice I think is at the Pontiff bonfire.

Yhorm is pretty quick too. Take a left from the boss bonfire and there are two there behind the mob and gargoyle "ambush".

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Anyone use halberds?

they're good

my new shtick is invading as a mad phantom in the aldrich area with the white ring on and fighting aldrich people. once i kill them, I take off my ring and reveal that I'm purple! there was no reason to fight me at all!!! it was all a big waste of time!!

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Vermain posted:

Pretty much the only "gotcha!" attacks I've died to in this game have been random hyper armor attacks being pulled out of something's rear end without any indication of their hyper armor status and Dancer's grab attack, which puts Pursuer's blue sword hitbox to shame.

I had the same experience with Nameless King's spear grab until I decided to just get the gently caress out of dodge every time I saw it. Rolling into it didn't work because it stays active for so long.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Nameless King is just like an easier Maria of the Astral Clocktower. His first phase is just stupid because there's about a 90% chance I'm going to eat some flame breaths with no chance to escape, though.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Been playing through as a Warrior with some pyromancy, been having no real problems playing the game, had no crashes.

Start playing as a sorcerer, game crashes every few minutes.

I know about a month ago there was a fix where you set the lowest lighting setting in the options (and, for some reason, starting as a Knight), but neither of these has fixed the problem. Has there been any new fixes that have come to light regarding the game randomly crashing?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is 90% of the chest being a mimic good? I know it is good, but I mean, good good.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's it mean that Silver and Black Knights don't make that loud as gently caress gong noise when they do anymore but the Deacons do

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Nameless King is just like an easier Maria of the Astral Clocktower. His first phase is just stupid because there's about a 90% chance I'm going to eat some flame breaths with no chance to escape, though.

I don't agree at all, they're similar in aggression but Maria staggers much more easily. Nameless is just waiting for the chance to counterpoke, much closer to phase 2 Logarius.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Fister Roboto posted:

Everyone has exactly 1 crazy aunt who used to give hugs like they do

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Tequila Sunrise posted:

He only flame breaths if you hang out under him. Keep in front of him and he'll never even try it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

So are Watchdogs of Farron like the Bellkeepers where you basically have to be in the zone in order to get summoned? Anyone got tips for things to do while waiting around for this poo poo?

Also, are there any rings that increase poise reduction (as in poise damage that you deal to others), or is it really not necessary? My favorite DS2 build was dual-caestus with the poise-reducing ring; caestus already dealt pretty heavy poise damage, combined with the poise damage bonus and two fast strikes basically no one could avoid getting staggered without a full Havel's set

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Am I remembering wrong or did just leveling up always give you a small amount of HP in DS1/2, and vigor was just if you wanted even more than that?

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I been playing a strongboy with the cathedral UGS, and its been pretty rad. Hyperarmor through a buncha stuff, slam dudes into the ground. The hardest part is swallowing the fact that I have to eat a buncha vitality to wear all the super heavy armor i want to wear

Internet Kraken posted:

Am I remembering wrong or did just leveling up always give you a small amount of HP in DS1/2, and vigor was just if you wanted even more than that?

Correct, and it was good

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
Nameless King or as I like call it "unable to summon phantom King"

Anyone wanna come help me out? I have helped others win at least 10 times now, but I can't get a single summon.

Edit: I am 79/+10

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

2 only. You got defense in DS1, at least.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Eldred posted:

I don't agree at all, they're similar in aggression but Maria staggers much more easily. Nameless is just waiting for the chance to counterpoke, much closer to phase 2 Logarius.

Yeah, I only staggered NK once during Phase 2. But at least Logarius is crazy easy to parry in Phase 2. I don't have the balls to try and parry NK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I think they wasted the profaned capital's potential, it's the lordvessel's resting place from DS1 but seem to be squandered even by the series' ambiguous lore standards. Yhorm the giant is also the one thing that's related to DS2 but the giants and the throne of want are largely skimmed over. I agree that DS3 has a weak midgame.

I get that DS3 is a love letter to DS1 but a bit more relation to DS2 wouldn't have hurt.

I definitely agree that Yhorm needs DLC to add more meat to those bones, however, I've read some compelling arguments that the profaned capital is the old chaos beneath eleum loyce - both areas make reference to witches, court sorcerers, oracles, Yhorm was at the head of some kind of war like the old ivory king was, there's a burning flame around that had to be appeased (and a frosty landscape above), you can pick up the catarina armor there and the area had (facsimile) giants. Finding the laddersmith from ds2 there in ds3 may be yet another clue.