Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Wanna grab that deal. Whoa top of page. I want to repost this tournament ad post for people:

Chill la Chill posted:

The prize tray:

Between the atmosphere, the extra custom prizes given out, free food, coverage, and tons of raffle drawings (7 for 68 people, including some sweet stand ups!) for only $20, anyone nearby should definitely check it out next year! They do this every year. Last year was custom mats for top8 and a similar 1/10 raffle drawings.

I end up buying like $20-30 of stuff at that store every time I go for a tournament probably cuz of the festive atmosphere. *not so festive in their non-regionals events due to less people. But they really try hard every year to make it awesome. This and MNGG in Monroeville, PA have been the best X wing regionals I've ever been to. I think Games N Stuff should have just as great of a showing during their inaugural (hopefully) tournament.

e: If I had known they were giving out cool asteroids for top 2, I would've concentrated harder during the semifinals. Laser-pointer and BB8 thumbs up not included.

E: updated the picture. Forgot I got cool range templates too. It goes with the maneuver templates they gave out last year lol.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Man noone around here that won them likes their christmas dice but id trade my marble ones in a sec for them. Theyre so ugly in an amazing sort of way

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

Man noone around here that won them likes their christmas dice but id trade my marble ones in a sec for them. Theyre so ugly in an amazing sort of way
Do you mean last year's regional dice? I am likely to go to another couple and should hopefully top 4 one of those. If I do, I'll take you up on your offer. I love that together with the Christmas dice, they look like an ugly Christmas sweater.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Yup last years.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
What do these "christmas dice" look like?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

zVxTeflon posted:

Yup last years.

If I do well in another regionals I'll probably end up posting about it, so remind me then and I'll trade you for 'em.

Some Numbers posted:

What do these "christmas dice" look like?

The dice in the bags above. They are translucent and the colors are in the etchings, not the main die, so many people don't like them.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

What are good sources for 3rd party asteroid/debris tokens?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Otisburg posted:

What are good sources for 3rd party asteroid/debris tokens?

Well Team Covenant just released their own set which I've been emailed about since I ordered a set of movement and range templates from them. I've got no problems with the templates I bought from them so I guess their obstacle tokens should be the same quality?

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
Team Covenant puts out some amazing looking stuff but it is so god dang expensive.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

I want those white dice, but Jesus gently caress, the only set on eBay starts at $250

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

This thread inspired me to play XXX at my local regionals today. My list was :

Luke Skywalker
-Adaptability
-R2-D2
-Integrated Astromech

Wes Janson
-Veteran Instincts
-R3-A2
-Integrated Astromech

Wedge Antilles
-Predator
-Proton Torpedoes
-Guidance chips.

Went alright, 2-2. one modified loss 36-29, two 100-0s for me, and one 100-32. Could have easily taken the last one and made the top 4 cut, but I made some pretty bad decisions in that game.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

A friend just bought both core sets for 77 cents thanks to some work amazon card. Gonna learn how to play this poo poo, and yeah. Any advice, or things that everyone forgets their first couple of times?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kilo147 posted:

A friend just bought both core sets for 77 cents thanks to some work amazon card. Gonna learn how to play this poo poo, and yeah. Any advice, or things that everyone forgets their first couple of times?

If you're both gamers, play with actions. They make the game a lot more interesting.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Geisladisk posted:

This thread inspired me to play XXX at my local regionals today.
Went alright, 2-2. one modified loss 36-29, two 100-0s for me, and one 100-32. Could have easily taken the last one and made the top 4 cut, but I made some pretty bad decisions in that game.
How many people were there that you could've made the top 4 cut with a 3-2 record? Or is it that you had such high MOV that one 3-2 would be included?

Kilo147 posted:

Until a couple months into the game, my friend and I seriously thought that you only had one of each token to use for the entirety of the game. You actually get to use one every time you don't land on an obstacle or have stress. :3:

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

How many people were there that you could've made the top 4 cut with a 3-2 record? Or is it that you had such high MOV that one 3-2 would be included?

14. Iceland's not a big place. I think the largest ever X-Wing tournament here was 18. And it was four rounds of swiss, going into the fourth round I was 2-1 with two 100-0s.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?

Some Numbers posted:

If you're both gamers, play with actions. They make the game a lot more interesting.

And also: don't forget to do actions after you move! It's easy to move a ship and then be like "okay who moves next" and forget to focus or evade.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

On a Focus note, using the token changes all eyeball results to a standard hit, or an evade depending on which dice you're rolling.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Depending on how deep into the game you want to get, and/or how good you are at judging distances with your eye, it can help to just slam 6 asteroids on a table and try out various maneuvers. (I should still do this, as I am awful at judging distances and constantly mess up how far I want to turn or move.) If you don't wanna do that or don't have room at home, this helps with a lot of nice pictures. https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/110115-earning-your-wings-a-guide-for-understanding-movment/ And this might be diving too deep into the math of the game for you, but The Gate did a nice write up about actions in this thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657860&pagenumber=505&perpage=40#post459301347

Beyond that, don't be intimidated by red maneuvers on your dial or intentionally doing something risky like going over a rock if you can get a great shot. Surprise aggression can be a great thing. And this is with all dice games, but sometimes the dice just hate you or love your opponent.

And especially for learning, just try and have a shot every turn, even if your ship gets blown up before you actually take it. This will better help you learn how keep the enemy in arc, and so you don't end up playing a game where you are just running away 90% of it and you do a whole lot of nothing for most of it. I'm not brand new but this is something I need to work badly at. :v: And speaking of your ship being blown up, if they have the same pilot skill, remember that you can shoot that round still.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 9, 2016

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Kilo147 posted:

In addition to what everyone said so far, ships who bump into each other can't shoot each other, but they can shoot other ships. Also, don't forget the extra red die when shooting at range 1 or the extra green die when defending at range 3 (this only applies to Primary Weapon attacks, the red number on the pilot card. Not Secondary Weapons, e.g. cannons, missiles, and torpedoes.)

On a different note, after watching TFA again I noticed that the TIE/sf has Magnetic Pulse Warheads.This might have been discussed before, but IF we see it in Wave 9, having a weapon that causes a Blinded Pilot status on ships will make some games pretty drat interesting.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Tacopocalypse posted:

In addition to what everyone said so far, ships who bump into each other can't shoot each other, but they can shoot other ships.

To be more precise, ships touching in the combat phase can't target one-another. If a ship bumps into the back of a higher skill pilot who then moves away, it can shoot the ship it bumped.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I still kind of want to try Arvel Crynyd with Intimidation.

The problem is that she can't focus when she bumps, so can't Procket someone she's touching without someone else handing her a focus.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Some Numbers posted:

The problem is that she can't focus when she bumps, so can't Procket someone she's touching without someone else handing her a focus.

Arvel is a dude, by the way. Specifically, this dude in the A-Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_hGOFukMQ

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Endman posted:

Arvel is a dude, by the way. Specifically, this dude in the A-Wing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW_hGOFukMQ

Huh, well, I stand corrected.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Also, there's this neat fan comic about Arvel: http://www.space-mullet.com/2015/06/05/green-leader/

Try not to cry

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endman posted:

Also, there's this neat fan comic about Arvel: http://www.space-mullet.com/2015/06/05/green-leader/

Try not to cry

That was really good.

:smith:

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I'm not crying, you're crying.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
TTS LEAGUE MEMBERS start thinking about the lists you want to use for next week. Please send them to me as you send the results of your game, if possible. If you've already finished your games, at your earliest convenience before Sunday. I'm going to get next week's schedule up hopefully by Saturday night, and I'd like to have most or all lists in by then.

Smegmalicious
Mar 13, 2002

I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence.

Ringo Star Get posted:

I'm not crying, you're crying.

It's just raining on my face.

In reality I'm just sad to see that much Imperial Materiel go to waste.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Well, first time I had my Defender and a pair of lovely TIEs, he had Poe and Luke. the TIEs did nothing, the Defender did everything. I lost.

Second game, Poe and Luke vs my Mauler, Night Beast, Dark Curse and Zeta Ace. Like, 10 turns in, nobody is dead, Poe and Luke are shieldless, and half my ties are damaged. I'm K Turning every chance I get, line up some loving rad shots, and nothing. We gave up, gonna try again.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Kilo147 posted:

Well, first time I had my Defender and a pair of lovely TIEs, he had Poe and Luke. the TIEs did nothing, the Defender did everything. I lost.

Second game, Poe and Luke vs my Mauler, Night Beast, Dark Curse and Zeta Ace. Like, 10 turns in, nobody is dead, Poe and Luke are shieldless, and half my ties are damaged. I'm K Turning every chance I get, line up some loving rad shots, and nothing. We gave up, gonna try again.

Dice gonna dice, but Luke and Poe are probably far more solid than anything you had on the board, so there is that at least.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Well Team Covenant just released their own set which I've been emailed about since I ordered a set of movement and range templates from them. I've got no problems with the templates I bought from them so I guess their obstacle tokens should be the same quality?

They're pretty good quality. The obstacles have different pictures than the official FFG ones. Can post some pictures if you'd like, but I approve.

Brunas
Nov 5, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Wanna grab that deal. Whoa top of page. I want to repost this tournament ad post for people:

E: updated the picture. Forgot I got cool range templates too. It goes with the maneuver templates they gave out last year lol.

Nice! Also, now I know who you are (creepy AF confirmed). Didn't realize you were at Roanoke or I would have said hello! Coming down to Raleigh? If so, the current plan is to have me deal with streaming, so if you bring some gaudy bullshit anime stuff I can do my best to get it on stream.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kilo147 posted:

Yeah, Poe and Luke is a team that four Ties are gonna have a hard time with, first order or no first order. Those two little shits are a pain in the rear end to kill with only two red dice.

If only there was something that hit a little... harder...

[unrelated promos for the TIE Interceptor, Darth Vader in the TIE x1 with advanced targeting computer, and TIE Phantom go here]

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Brunas posted:

Nice! Also, now I know who you are (creepy AF confirmed). Didn't realize you were at Roanoke or I would have said hello! Coming down to Raleigh? If so, the current plan is to have me deal with streaming, so if you bring some gaudy bullshit anime stuff I can do my best to get it on stream.

I was but I'm having trouble securing rides cuz I'd prefer not to solo drive that so maybe not. I don't have much actual gaudy anime stuff aside from card game stuff.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Some Numbers posted:

I used Arvel/Test Pilot/Intimidation to ruin Soontir Fel's day quite a few times at this point. Paired with a TLT on something or a supporting ship to help put down some hurt, it's hilarious. You could use Squad Leader, Garven Dreis, or Airen Cracken if you REALLY want to get those prockets going, but I found hunting aces to be just as fun without it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Aw, why must you all leave me, the minute I come home? :saddowns:

If anyone's online in the next few hours and wants to have a game on TTS, feel free to shoot me a message and/or friend request! (Link) I've got a Han build I want to try out, since I don't use him much compared to the Rebel small-base ships.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lol. I'm home in an hour but I've not used TTS yet so idk.

Endman
May 18, 2010

I wonder how well Fat Han and Miranda would perform in a meta dominated by U-Boats and Palp Aces.

Liberal use of Miranda's SLAM and Han's Engine Upgrade would be able to control ranges and arcs against U-Boats pretty well, and I think even with Palpatine, Aces would struggle against Gunner.

I'm tempted to give this list a ago:

Han Solo (46)
Predator (3)
C-3PO (3)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)
Advanced SLAM (2)

Total: 100

Thoughts?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Endman posted:

I wonder how well Fat Han and Miranda would perform in a meta dominated by U-Boats and Palp Aces.

Liberal use of Miranda's SLAM and Han's Engine Upgrade would be able to control ranges and arcs against U-Boats pretty well, and I think even with Palpatine, Aces would struggle against Gunner.

I'm tempted to give this list a ago:

Han Solo (46)
Predator (3)
C-3PO (3)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)
Advanced SLAM (2)

Thoughts?

This is very similar to the list I've been meaning to try out! Mine's below:

quote:

Han Solo — YT-1300 46
Adaptability 0
C-3PO 3
Gunner 5
Engine Upgrade 4
Ship Total: 58

Miranda Doni — K-Wing 29
Twin Laser Turret 6
Jan Ors 2
Proximity Mines 3
Advanced SLAM 2
Ship Total: 42

Haven't tried it out yet (see post above), although I think the combination of Han+Miranda would be fairly survivable. The main different between ours being you having Pred+Tactician, while I opted for Jan Ors (to give both Han and Miranda evades, instead of just buying the MF title - thought it was a better deal overall) and proxy mines - however that's mostly just because I couldn't think of what else to add, other than upgrading Adaptability to Predator, like you did.
Anyway, I'd be interested to see how your list goes. I was thinking about making my list more similar to what yours turned out to be, but I just can't resist the opportunity of SLAMing past an enemy ace and dropping a proxy mine on them/in front of them.

EDIT: Oh, but yeah, mine's more aimed towards general survivability, as opposed to being able to take on JumpMasters - I haven't really had any experience going up against those, at this stage.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:23 on May 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Major Isoor posted:

This is very similar to the list I've been meaning to try out! Mine's below:

Haven't tried it out yet (see post above), although I think the combination of Han+Miranda would be fairly survivable. The main different between ours being you having Pred+Tactician, while I opted for Jan Ors (to give both Han and Miranda evades, instead of just buying the MF title - thought it was a better deal overall) and proxy mines - however that's mostly just because I couldn't think of what else to add, other than upgrading Adaptability to Predator, like you did.
Anyway, I'd be interested to see how your list goes. I was thinking about making my list more similar to what yours turned out to be, but I just can't resist the opportunity of SLAMing past an enemy ace and dropping a proxy mine on them/in front of them.

EDIT: Oh, but yeah, mine's more aimed towards general survivability, as opposed to being able to take on JumpMasters - I haven't really had any experience going up against those, at this stage.

I won a store champ with Han and Miranda, but that was pre jumpmasters and I'm not entirely sure that's a particularly winnable matchup.

The list was this:

Han Solo (46)
Predator (3)
Chewbacca (4)
Gunner (5)
Engine Upgrade (4)
Millennium Falcon (1)

Miranda Doni (29)
Twin Laser Turret (6)
Tactician (2)

• Locked thread