Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

HGH posted:

There's some context that I'm not sure is or will be covered in-game so I'll spoiler the next line just in case it shows up next episode.

Don't worry, we've got a lot to learn about Naruto's mom and their relationship and all kinds of other stuff. This chapter's not called "The Birth of Naruto" for nothing!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I like how we decided to not take B's help only to instead rely on our mom to help us beat down this giant demon fox instead.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I like that the seal on the Nine Tails is clearly labeled "seal" so you know what it is. Good to see people borrowing from the Adam West Batman school of visual storytelling.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, what you said about it on the pod convinced me to start watching Haruchika. I'm only one episode in, and I'm already annoyed at it - "My Rival In Love Is My Childhood Friend - A Boy?!" was supposed to be the name of my next light novel, and I find out they beat me to it??

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FractalSandwich posted:

I like that the seal on the Nine Tails is clearly labeled "seal" so you know what it is. Good to see people borrowing from the Adam West Batman school of visual storytelling.

Naruto's dad put it there specifically so his dumb son wouldn't touch it but whoopsie daisy :v:

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: BONUS UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Since it'll be at least another week before we can get the next proper Naruto update recorded, here's something to tide you over!
The main ninja crew along with Hobotron look at a fairly recent game by one Steven Rob Day that explores a post-commercial Flintstones universe, as Fred chases Barnie over the horizon for his Fruity Pebbles.

You can play the game for yourself over at https://stevenrobday.itch.io/fruity-pebbles-the-game! Show your friends!

By the way, does anyone remember The Pebbles and Bamm Bamm Show where suddenly the Flintstone babies were teens in high school? That's basically Flintstones Shippuden.

RareAcumen posted:

I like how we decided to not take B's help only to instead rely on our mom to help us beat down this giant demon fox instead.

Mom would've been mad to find out we've been getting help from a stranger.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm shocked how you consistently manage to produce funny episodes out of what I'd expect to be the most nothing prompts.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
i had some stuff i was going to say about haruchika when you posted the next update, but i wasn't prepared for this. you've destroyed me.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
So this is really late probably, but I don't think the Cut versions of the videos are working. I've been watching the uncut videos, but there was one cutscene that I wanted to hear the voice acting in and so tried the cut version... but it still had the commentary.

Also, as someone who watched a bit of Naruto back when it first aired on Toonami, watching your previous LP of the second game, and now this one, is really interesting. Frustrating at times because oh my god this writing, this plot.... but interesting still. Thanks for doing it.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Shoeless posted:

So this is really late probably, but I don't think the Cut versions of the videos are working. I've been watching the uncut videos, but there was one cutscene that I wanted to hear the voice acting in and so tried the cut version... but it still had the commentary.

Also, as someone who watched a bit of Naruto back when it first aired on Toonami, watching your previous LP of the second game, and now this one, is really interesting. Frustrating at times because oh my god this writing, this plot.... but interesting still. Thanks for doing it.

Hmm, I'll have to go through and see which episodes have issues. I may have easily messed up the encoding somewhere down the line for a cut version or two given my probably less-than-optimal process.

Also, so everyone knows, the LP should be back this weekend and hopefully shouldn't run into any more big delays.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

Hmm, I'll have to go through and see which episodes have issues. I may have easily messed up the encoding somewhere down the line for a cut version or two given my probably less-than-optimal process.

Also, so everyone knows, the LP should be back this weekend and hopefully shouldn't run into any more big delays.

Awesome, thank you. If it helps, it was Episode 3. The scene where Zetsu comes out of the ground in the middle of the conference. I just had to hear that scene, his voice acting. He sounds like he is freaking loving this poo poo.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: UPDATE TIME! :siren:

Today, we have one last trial to face before Naruto can fully take control of his Tailed Beast. That's right, it's a trip down memory lane with his mom, harkening back to the day of his birth and the events that led to his parents' death!

Characters Introduced Last Episode

Kushina
The mother of Naruto, and the jinchuriki for the Nine Tails before him. She is very kind, but known to get violent when provoked, which along with her red hair earned her the nickname the "Red Hot-Blooded Habanero". She has the same speech tick that Naruto has definitely had for the rest of the series and many of her other features ended up being passed on to him. Before her death, she helped her husband Minato seal the Nine-Tails into Naruto in order to protect their village from destruction.

ChorpSaway fucked around with this message at 23:53 on May 21, 2016

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Shoeless posted:

Awesome, thank you. If it helps, it was Episode 3. The scene where Zetsu comes out of the ground in the middle of the conference. I just had to hear that scene, his voice acting. He sounds like he is freaking loving this poo poo.

Oh, so I figured out the bit you meant, and I just didn't count that as a cutscene. There's a very arbitrary and inconsistent set of decisions I make for what constitutes a cutscene, but here's a version of it without voices thanks to someone else.

To be fair, it's not like Crispix was a real stretch of a name either. Alpha-bits though, that's a good-rear end name. Too bad those were all buried in a landfill in New Mexico.

Squarely Circle
Jul 28, 2010

things worsen and worsen
Looks like you've got the links for Cut and Uncut mixed up.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Squarely Circle posted:

Looks like you've got the links for Cut and Uncut mixed up.

Whoops! Thanks for the catch, should be fixed now.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Thought I'd give a little more info about why they used Kushina, and mainly it's because they believed you need an Uzumaki to hold the Nine-Tails and the previous one, the First Hokage's Wife, was rather old so they asked their dear allies the Uzumaki clan to send another child to be the new Jinchuuriki. Kushina was the one chosen because normally the seal is applied to young people so they have time to integrate it with their own Chakra system. Of course Childbirth in this world weakens the Chakra system of the mother because hers is used to kick-start the system of the child, which diverts a lot of Chakra from other parts of the body, such as the seal.

This makes Killer Bee even cooler because he's the only person I know of in universe to have a Tailed Beast sealed inside after puberty, all the others are before that so that it doesn't permanently damage their ability to use Chakra or outright kill them.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Laura Bailey deserves better than this.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's amazing how badly this is all done. Normally someone bombing a baby would be some really hosed up poo poo.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
So seriously if childbirth weakens the seal, and it's confirmed that they totally can seal the demon in a male host, why would they ever seal the demon in a lady?

Also Chorps' "umm" response to the question of if the whole video was a cutscene was hilarious.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

TwoPair posted:

So seriously if childbirth weakens the seal, and it's confirmed that they totally can seal the demon in a male host, why would they ever seal the demon in a lady?

Also Chorps' "umm" response to the question of if the whole video was a cutscene was hilarious.

I mentioned it earlier but the basic reason why they seal it in Kushina is she's the only Uzumaki young enough for them to safely do so. I can't recall right now but I'm pretty sure the Kyuubi's sheer Chakra mass is damaging to seal into adults whose Chakra networks have been solidified by puberty, and at the time it was thought only an Uzumaki could have the full power Kyuubi sealed inside and it'd have to be before puberty to ensure that the Chakra Network grew with the seal instead of being destroyed by the initial sealing.

Also normally you don't have someone with the loving Sharinhax targeting the mother, as the only reason the Kyuubi actually breaks out is because it's told to do so by Tobi. Otherwise this entire situation was potentially dangerous but ultimately harmless, it's Tobi that turns it into a complete poo poo-show. Childbirth doesn't weaken the seal any-more than any other extremely strenuous activity, in fact considering how weak Naruto manages to make his seal through various actions it's probably less dangerous than actually relying on the Kyuubi in combat the way Naruto does. Sealing the tailed-beasts in general is a bit iffy, Killer Bee is like the 10th guy they tried to seal the 8-tails in and the last 9 died from it. As I recall Killer Bee actually fought the 8-tails before it was sealed and they came to an agreement that way. Gaara has a bad seal and the previous host inside him and is a homicidal nut-case.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

I mentioned it earlier but the basic reason why they seal it in Kushina is she's the only Uzumaki young enough for them to safely do so. I can't recall right now but I'm pretty sure the Kyuubi's sheer Chakra mass is damaging to seal into adults whose Chakra networks have been solidified by puberty, and at the time it was thought only an Uzumaki could have the full power Kyuubi sealed inside and it'd have to be before puberty to ensure that the Chakra Network grew with the seal instead of being destroyed by the initial sealing.

Also normally you don't have someone with the loving Sharinhax targeting the mother, as the only reason the Kyuubi actually breaks out is because it's told to do so by Tobi. Otherwise this entire situation was potentially dangerous but ultimately harmless, it's Tobi that turns it into a complete poo poo-show. Childbirth doesn't weaken the seal any-more than any other extremely strenuous activity, in fact considering how weak Naruto manages to make his seal through various actions it's probably less dangerous than actually relying on the Kyuubi in combat the way Naruto does. Sealing the tailed-beasts in general is a bit iffy, Killer Bee is like the 10th guy they tried to seal the 8-tails in and the last 9 died from it. As I recall Killer Bee actually fought the 8-tails before it was sealed and they came to an agreement that way. Gaara has a bad seal and the previous host inside him and is a homicidal nut-case.

Wow, no wonder Gaara sees so much of himself in Sasuke.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Man, then the Uzumaki clan needs to start popping out some more kids until they get a boy. It's the responsible thing to do. Or make the girls nuns. Naruto has Catholics, right? :v:

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Naruto has Catholics, right? :v:

originally the phrase "believe it" was gonna be "believe in god, for he is great" but the liberal media once again kept the big g down

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FutureFriend posted:

originally the phrase "believe it" was gonna be "believe in god, for he is great" but the liberal media once again kept the big g down

I'm gonna miss you when the LP is over. Considering how this part is just a near hour-long cutscene, I feel like almost it's crueler to execute you after the LP is finished.

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

Lord_Magmar posted:

Then why was it sealed in the First Hokage's (?) wife before? Are the Uzumaki's just really short on boys?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

There's a bit more going on in that case but the basics are they'd recently got married and she was first on the scene. In fact she sealed it inside herself with his help not the other way around. Which does admittedly mess with my post puberty point but it's also said she had no ability to use it at all, compared to Kushina who had some and Naruto who spams it like no tomorrow when necessary.

We don't know much about the first's wife but I don't think she performs much ninja work after the sealing so that might be when they decided to use a child the next time, to avoid wrecking chakra pathways. She's the first Jinchuriki of the Kyuubi and perhaps the first ever so again it was rather untested jutsu anyway. Naruto has the most refined seal because it's the third time and Minaro studied Kushina's seal a lot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Lord_Magmar posted:

Minaro studied Kushina's seal a lot.

:wiggle: heyooooooo

the_sea_hag
Oct 9, 2012
LOAF FANCIER

TwoPair posted:

:wiggle: heyooooooo

Well he is her husband, you can't call it inappropriate.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

ChorpSaway posted:

Oh, so I figured out the bit you meant, and I just didn't count that as a cutscene. There's a very arbitrary and inconsistent set of decisions I make for what constitutes a cutscene, but here's a version of it without voices thanks to someone else.

Ah, alright. thank you very much for the link!

Well. This episode opens up a whole new delightful can of plot holes. I honestly wonder- did Masashi Kishimoto plan out the series to begin with, or did he just write it out as he went along? It kind of seems like the latter, and I'm genuinely curious as to how Naruto came about.

Oh, and I just want to make sure I have this straight: Madara wants to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village because hundreds of years ago when it was founded, he wasn't voted as the leader so he picked up his ball and left. Is that about right?

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 22, 2016

White Coke
May 29, 2015
More like decades ago, but yeah.

ChorpSaway
Oct 9, 2012

Not that I'm disliking the Naruto discussion but it's also :siren: CHOCO☆DISASTER TIME! :siren:

Youtube
MP3 Download

Today, Jordan comes back, not for Naruto but for anime! Let's talk about our current thoughts on the state of the spring anime season! There are some good shows but also some real stinkers.
Feel free to discuss this or Naruto while we wait for the next episode of the LP.

RareAcumen posted:

I'm gonna miss you when the LP is over. Considering how this part is just a near hour-long cutscene, I feel like almost it's crueler to execute you after the LP is finished.

We can't execute him until AT LEAST after UNS4 which will happen sometime next year.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ChorpSaway posted:

We can't execute him until AT LEAST after UNS4 which will happen sometime next year.

Wait, you're the police that arrested him too? Man, the LP conspiracy goes deeper than I thought.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I haven't listened to the cast yet, but there's nothing this season that caught my attention, so my anime opinions are safely sealed away. The world is safe for another generation.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Oh so I've been making dumb jokes about seals, but one thing I really do think is dumb(er) is Naruto telling the fox that he'll "do right by it" after re-sealing it. Like, why the gently caress would the fox care? The fox clearly only wants to kill everything and everyone starting with Naruto, I doubt utilizing his power wisely is suddenly going to make the fox chill like Killer Bee's octo-bison. That scene might as well have ended with Naruto going "GOT YOUR POWER BYE FOREVER".

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Oh so I've been making dumb jokes about seals, but one thing I really do think is dumb(er) is Naruto telling the fox that he'll "do right by it" after re-sealing it. Like, why the gently caress would the fox care? The fox clearly only wants to kill everything and everyone starting with Naruto, I doubt utilizing his power wisely is suddenly going to make the fox chill like Killer Bee's octo-bison. That scene might as well have ended with Naruto going "GOT YOUR POWER BYE FOREVER".

Clearly Naruto's actually foreshadowing his reveal in a few episodes that he's planning to destroy the Hidden Leaf Village as well, and that he's actually embraced Dark Naruto. That's what he means by doing right by it. Right?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

To be fair in comparison his mother literally chained it down and drained it's Chakra through force from memory and before that he was sealed for being used as a weapon by Madara so that he might one day be used as a weapon by the Leaf, or at least never be used as a weapon against the Leaf ever again. The Tailed Beasts in general are extremely mobile natural disasters who become living WMD when you seal them inside people. However they've only really started to be dangerous to humans on a massive scale after they started to hunt down and seal them inside people, before that they just sort of dicked around away from people doing their own thing. In fact after sealing the Kyuubi the First Hokage had the brilliant idea to go and collect the others and give them as gifts to the other villages as a sort of mutually assured nuclear destruction deal. The Tailed Beasts have a really good reason to go wild if they ever get free.

Doing right by the Kyuubi means not taking it for granted and respecting it as the ancient, powerful and intelligent creature it is and not just a giant battery. There's also something else going on with the Kyuubi that will explain a lot about why it is the way it is but I don't know if that's in this game or the next.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 23, 2016

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Yeah, but he says this... after mostly ignoring it for the series (which I suppose is better than chaining it down and using it as a life force battery), and now after it's done nothing but be hostile towards him- understandably so, like you said, but hostile nonetheless- and now he's like "Don't worry buddy, I won't let you down!" I mean really, I'd say it's still very disrespectful to keep it sealed inside him. Don't get me wrong- I understand why they did it to begin with, and why it's an untenable proposition to try and let it free now. Even if it was willing to let bygones be bygones and not just kill everyone, it's possibly more vulnerable out in the open, certainly larger and more visible, for Madara to go find and seal. But it's still rather hosed up how things got to this point, and it feels like saying how Naruto will do right by it is a bit of a slap in the face. What does the Nine Tails care how you use its power? It's still being trapped, sealed away. Naruto never comes to visit, or call, he's basically the worst kind of grandchild. Not even a card on Kyuubi's birthday, can you believe it? Sure, he's saying this now, that he'll do right by it... but it's not really shown what that means, or what he means by it at least, and why he now suddenly is willing to respect it. And call me cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if in the future this isn't really a thing ever again and he doesn't do anything to actually respect it. I'd be happy to be proven wrong, but...

Got a bit sidetracked there. Now, how you put it is definitely a lot more sensible and reasonable than it's presented in the game, but the game is the official product. And so far it's presented this knowledge to us in a rather poorly written way. And you can probably say that for most of Naruto- if you mentally edit things to be less stupid, and come up with explanations for things, if you try and come up with some inferences, it's probably not bad. But that doesn't change that the core product isn't well presented. And the presentation, the execution, absolutely matters. There's very few outright bad concepts, little if anything about Naruto as a concept, as an idea, is bad. But the excution is lacking.

Sorry if I went on for a bit there. And I don't mean this as an attack, but just to explain my position on things and why I have trouble being able to accept and digest this all mentally. Also, free Kyuubi! Tailed Beast rights activism starts here!

Edit: Also it goes without saying that if this is better presented and explained in the anime and manga then fair enough, but just going by the game it's kinda eugh.

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 23, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I totally agree and it isn't necessarily shown better in the anime or the manga but that's basically the intention of that scene as I understand it. The biggest reason that they can't free Kyuubi is removing a Tailed-Beast seal is almost always fatal, the Uzumaki can survive it for a lot longer than most because their big clan thing is stupidly long lives, high stamina and durability, which is why they make good Jinchuuriki. I think the First Hokage's wife lives to be like 120 or something similar because they're unnaturally long lived. Naruto's maximum age if he lives healthy and doesn't get himself killed like an idiot is probably 200+ because of his genetics and the Kyuubi.

Basically Naruto would die within the month if you freed the Kyuubi because the seal is tied to his chakra network which is vital for life, although if you had the right sort of medical specialist on hand you could repair the damage. At least from memory Naruto makes a real effort after this to be nicer to the Kyuubi, and eventually let's it manifest outside the seal like Bee does the Hachibi, in fact they end up partners with a similar level of friendship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Bit off-topic, but wasn't Chiyo in the previous game like, 200+ years old? I vaguely remember it being mentioned. So ninja lifespans seem like they can go really long, even without gimmicky jutsus like the two immortal Akatsuki, or presumably whatever Madar'a doing, and Orochimaru's thing. For the dying in a month if Kyuubi is freed (is Kyuubi its name or its title?), I would assume that yeah using that resurrection jutsu that Chiyo used to save Gaara would keep him from passing on. And if the user wasn't a super old person with not much life energy left, they could probably survive it too. But that's plenty of "what ifs", I suppose.

And, thank you for being so civil and helping to explain. Also glad to hear about the bit in the spoilers. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing.

• Locked thread