Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
I like living in Chengdu but to me it seems like a really boring place to visit as a tourist. The panda sanctuary is just a poo poo zoo that only has 2 types of animal, Qingcheng is just a big staircase full of aunties, Jinli street/wide alley narrow alley are the same as all the other fake traditional tourist streets in China, I can't think of what else is here to do other than eat Sichuan food which you couldn't do elsewhere in China? I guess it can be interesting if you've never been to China before. Western Sichuan is awesome though, so if you do come try and head out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Lil B, you just described like every city tourist place in China

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

most cities in china can be done in two days

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I've just moved to Hong Kong. Just throwing it out there, in case there's a goon meet imminent!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Alan_Shore posted:

I've just moved to Hong Kong. Just throwing it out there, in case there's a goon meet imminent!

You're not invited.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

fart simpson posted:

You're not invited.

No that's you

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

caberham posted:

No that's you

Ok.

Hui Tai Lang
Dec 31, 2009

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

I like living in Chengdu but to me it seems like a really boring place to visit as a tourist. The panda sanctuary is just a poo poo zoo that only has 2 types of animal, Qingcheng is just a big staircase full of aunties, Jinli street/wide alley narrow alley are the same as all the other fake traditional tourist streets in China, I can't think of what else is here to do other than eat Sichuan food which you couldn't do elsewhere in China? I guess it can be interesting if you've never been to China before. Western Sichuan is awesome though, so if you do come try and head out there.

I disagree, there are lots of awesome things to see in Chengdu, if you care to get away from the tourist things. The people there are awesome. Just curious, why do you have a negative image of Chengdu? How long have you lived there, or lived in China? Chengdu always gave me fond memories, has it changed lately? I still imagine it a place to explore everyday, much more than my boring Beijing.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:
All you 老京腔喷子 need to 去玩儿勺子.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Hui Tai Lang posted:

I disagree, there are lots of awesome things to see in Chengdu, if you care to get away from the tourist things. The people there are awesome. Just curious, why do you have a negative image of Chengdu? How long have you lived there, or lived in China? Chengdu always gave me fond memories, has it changed lately? I still imagine it a place to explore everyday, much more than my boring Beijing.

Like I said, I like living here I just think from a tourist perspective there are more interesting places to visit in China. Chengdu feels very sanitized compared to other places in China, my girlfriends parents live in Henan and although I would never want to live there it's fun to spend some time there occasionally to see all the crazy China poo poo going down that I never see here, Chengdu doesn't really feel that much different than a western city. I've only been there on day trips a few times so I don't know the city well but Chongqing seems like it would be a better place to visit, the food is pretty much the same as in Chengdu and it has mountains, the river running through it and stuff compared to Chengdu which is just flat and covered in copied and pasted apartment blocks and malls. I've been here 3 years, I have a company here now too so I'll be sticking around for a while, so yeah I don't have a negative view of Chengdu.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Lil Balls, Inc

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Alan_Shore posted:

can you launch any James Spader monologues? if not you're not invited

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
The security checks on the Shanghai Metro...

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Ragingsheep posted:

The security checks on the Shanghai Metro...

Gamepro Protip is to unzip your bag (not your pants) as you approach the guy who motions towards the xray machine, smile at him and hold open your bag in his direction without slowing down, then power through the turnstyle just in case he tries to follow you

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I just walk past the guy's half hearted outstretched arm like everyone else.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My favorite part of the checks is all you'd have to do is have whatever object it is in your jacket instead of your bag and you've completely defeated the security theater.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Make them use that fancy bottle checker they have that looks like a love tester machine. I've never seen them use it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sounds like Chengdu is more strict than other places. They do not let you just blow past with a bag, I got poo poo for showing them my bag was empty and trying to dodge the line, and if they notice your bottle they'll loving tackle you to put it into their scanner thing that I assume does literally nothing.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Sounds like it.

http://shanghaiist.com/2015/05/21/woman_refuses_to_put_her_bags_throu.php

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Most security is dumb, but that's ok because so are most of the people it's trying to deter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The dumbness of the subway checks is truly stupendous though. Bangkok's is the only one even in the same league of stupid.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Grand Fromage posted:

Sounds like Chengdu is more strict than other places. They do not let you just blow past with a bag, I got poo poo for showing them my bag was empty and trying to dodge the line, and if they notice your bottle they'll loving tackle you to put it into their scanner thing that I assume does literally nothing.

the dumb security theater got my coworker robbed. She put her bag/purse thing into the scanner and started to walk around to the front. Someone behind her in line reached into the machine, pulled the bag back out, and ran out of the subway station.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

One time I was carrying a soundbar & subwoofer and it wouldnt fit easily into the scanner so they just waved me and a friend to take these large, heavy bomb looking things through :waycool:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Hui Tai Lang posted:

I've lived in Chengdu for 4 years and p much agree with that. I really like living in Chengdu, I like it a lot more than Shanghai, Hangzhou, Qingdao or other cities I've lived in, but the city proper doesn't have a whole lot. It's p much the opposite of Hangzhou which had a lot to see/do but was not a nice place to live.

If you haven't really been in China before there's a bit more to see a lot of us are probably all jaded towards. My dad and sister came into town over the summer last year and had a great time just seeing random poo poo around town.

I do love the places around Chengdu, and think Sichuan is the best province. I would highly recommend going around western Sichuan towards Gansu and Qingdao.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Seconding Qingdao. I'm far from impartial, but I was impressed with what I saw in the dead of winter. Go there during the spring/summer and it should be amazing. Assuming the pollution from Beijing doesn't come visit and stay for a while like it did while I was there.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Northern and southern Sichuan are good, too

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
edit: nm

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Are there any recommended hiking/outdoors day trips outside of Chengdu? I have been looking at Leshan and Mt Emei.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Cheesemaster200 posted:

Are there any recommended hiking/outdoors day trips outside of Chengdu? I have been looking at Leshan and Mt Emei.

Emeishan and Leshan are nice but not really hiking, more like extended stairwalking. Not sure if you can really go off the beaten track there but the area is beautiful.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
Longquanyi at the end of subway line 2(I think? The one that runs East to West) is quite nice and has a bunch of different routes of varying lengths you can take, its been a lot less crowded than Emei/Leshan/Qingcheng when I've been there too, but that just might be me getting lucky.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How much does a People's Uber usually cost? There's no fare estimator in Uber and the ride I was looking at was about¥30 for Uber X.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Ragingsheep posted:

How much does a People's Uber usually cost? There's no fare estimator in Uber and the ride I was looking at was about¥30 for Uber X.

There is a fare estimator with people's Uber in-app once you set up the ride and before you officially request it.

What city are you in? It's very different based on that. In Chengdu I hardly ever have a ride over 10rmb, and it's usually closer to like 6-8, but I'm guessing Shanghai and Beijing are markedly more.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Shanghai.

Normally travelling in a group of 3 so if it's around ¥12, then it's comparable to taking the metro.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

They sometimes have sales & deals that make it impossibly cheap. For a week it was I think 3 RMB per ride from my home to the office and you can bring an extra person, so it makes it cheaper than the bus

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Oh is it charged per person?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

I think People's Uber is the one where other strangers can also get in the car, so you can only take 1 other person with you. I might be wrong though because I don't even have the Uber app

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Ragingsheep posted:

In Xi'an, a Tier 2 city, I take Uber twice daily Monday to Friday, and fares vary from 20 to 35 kuai depending on discounts and traffic. I split the bill with a colleague though who lives in the same community.

Uber's advantages are that the UI is simple, I can pre-program "Work" and "Home", and it takes dirty foreign credit cards without problem. However, without fail, the driver will call to confirm my pickup location, so you have to have somebody able to describe it in Chinese over the phone.

The discounts are important, as Uber is burning through $1 billion USD a year in penetrating the Chinese marketing.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

fart simpson posted:

I think People's Uber is the one where other strangers can also get in the car, so you can only take 1 other person with you. I might be wrong though because I don't even have the Uber app

You can do this, you can also just request your own car instead and it's a cheaper compared to UberX. You can also say you have 4 people and it'll be a full car anyway, it's in no way limited to 2 people. Source: I use Uber entirely too much. I've taken UberX before and the quality is really no different for about double the price, so I would skip that.

You can also say you're OK with sharing a car and you pay a lower rate regardless of if anyone else is picked up. I never do this though cuz I am a goon and could not handle being next to strangers.

Trammel posted:

In Xi'an, a Tier 2 city, I take Uber twice daily Monday to Friday, and fares vary from 20 to 35 kuai depending on discounts and traffic. I split the bill with a colleague though who lives in the same community.

Uber's advantages are that the UI is simple, I can pre-program "Work" and "Home", and it takes dirty foreign credit cards without problem. However, without fail, the driver will call to confirm my pickup location, so you have to have somebody able to describe it in Chinese over the phone.

The discounts are important, as Uber is burning through $1 billion USD a year in penetrating the Chinese marketing.

Is this UberX, and if not how far do you go? I've taken relatively far trips (10ish km) and they're still barely over 15 kuai.

The calling thing is definitely a killer if you can't do Chinese though. As far as I can tell most drivers just accept rides blindly which is annoying. This weekend I was helping another goon get an uber to his suburb of Chengdu. It estimated the ride would be like 45rmb (this is like a 30km ride, so still crazy cheap). When we got in the car the driver asked where we were going, we told him, and he was shocked to see it was so far and I had to convince him to take the trip, and in the end wanted more for the return trip back to town. The amount he wanted was still less than a cab would have been so we told him it was fine... then he saw he had input the wrong address to his own GPS app (again, why he wasn't using the correct address which was in Uber is beyond me) and said he had cancel the trip entirely.

After that I got dinged with a cancellation charge from Uber cause it had been more than 5 minutes since the driver accepted. Thankfully that was p easy to reverse.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

Is this UberX, and if not how far do you go? I've taken relatively far trips (10ish km) and they're still barely over 15 kuai.

Sample daily commute. The costs are +5 kuai to use the tollway each way.

Magna Kaser posted:

.... then he saw he had input the wrong address to his own GPS app (again, why he wasn't using the correct address which was in Uber is beyond me) and said he had cancel the trip entirely.

I enter in my destination address without fail, every trip, and maybe once in 20 times will the driver look at the app and inbuilt map to work out where to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Jeez I'm envious of Xi'an's traffic situation seeing that. 14km between 7-9:30am in the city center of Chengdu would take 3-4 times as long.

Also I realize now how small a part of Chengdu I actually go to normally, I think I stay in a 10km radius for 99.9% of my time.