Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinino Kage
Sep 5, 2008
Just had my second good run ended due to stupidity.

Had just finished Vault 4, and was thinking -- Depths, or Vault 5? FORGETTING THAT VAULTS 5 HAD THE SUPER BATTLE.

*sigh*

Teleported out of that crap and then an Ancient Lich started pulling poo poo, and I couldn't heal fast enough. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Definitely noticing Shadow Creatures being level 6 and not as easily spammable. Also noticing my lack of damage when trying to force my way through orbs of fire using Short Blades. On the plus side of things, Hexes into Summonings makes for dynamic battles and surprisingly high success rates with Confuse on end-game enemies. Although caustic shrikes are nasty fuckers and running into two or possibly three(!!!) packs of them on the same Depths level was not pleasant.

EDIT: And win on HuEn. Still got my Enchanting touch!

Sage Grimm fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 9, 2016

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Floodkiller posted:

gently caress Cocytus vaults that require crossing deep water with flying, gently caress cancellation being a Hell effect, gently caress moving over deep water/lava not prompting a hard Yes if your current flight status is fading, gently caress drowning as a thing in general :negative:

At least I got Pan so I don't have to go back there and play around mutations forever on my next character.
I just killed this ghost for you :respek:

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

I'm experiencing random teleports on my char. I don't have anything equipped with tele on it, no mutations, and as far as I can tell, I'm not stepping into traps or being distorted. I have 0 MR. On Snake 4. Any ideas?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
And yet again, the only uniques left for us to kill are Ignacio and Murray.

68k posted:

I'm experiencing random teleports on my char. I don't have anything equipped with tele on it, no mutations, and as far as I can tell, I'm not stepping into traps or being distorted. I have 0 MR. On Snake 4. Any ideas?
Greater nagas will put Tele status on you if you don't have enough MR to resist.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

And yet again, the only uniques left for us to kill are Ignacio and Murray.
Greater nagas will put Tele status on you if you don't have enough MR to resist.

I figured it had to be related to the lack of MR. Weapon I got's nice but has -MR. Will need to fix that before the elves show up.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013

Princey posted:

Phew, okay, so my MiBe has made it to four runes and I'd like to take a crack at 15 runes, but I've never done extended before (except one Tomb attempt many, many versions ago). Hell, I haven't gotten this far since... uh, .13? So advice on what to do next would be very appreciated.

Chardump

I see blurry vision and my drooling-vegetable level intelligence as my main issues right now (thank god stat death is gone or I would've been dead already). Is now the time to go TSO? Should I do Slime first? What should I be looking at skill-wise? Are my javelins enough of a ranged option or should I diversify?

Ended up clearing Slime, switching to TSO, and clearing out Crypt for the piety. I'm going to leave it there for tonight, I think. Any suggestions on best course of action from here?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Floodkiller posted:

gently caress Cocytus vaults that require crossing deep water with flying, gently caress cancellation being a Hell effect, gently caress moving over deep water/lava not prompting a hard Yes if your current flight status is fading, gently caress drowning as a thing in general :negative:

At least I got Pan so I don't have to go back there and play around mutations forever on my next character.

drowning probably shouldn't exist; all the alternatives are bad, but drowning is worse. probably.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

drowning probably shouldn't exist; all the alternatives are bad, but drowning is worse. probably.

remove drowning and put a huge move speed/EV/SH malus on swimming through deep water, reuse the mesmerize code so you can only swim toward the closest land/shallow water

not sure on lava

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
lava can be the same but also do a lot of damage(half irresistible damage)

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

xom loves me

he only summons reapers on d9 because he wants me to improve

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
I've finally caught some lucky breaks, but in unfamiliar territory. I've never won with Cheibriados, and I've never really been much of a spellcaster. Always liked to just melee and evoke my way to the end.

So I have this Demonspawn who has access to a bunch of good spells. Chei near max piety. I'm thinking I should just try to get Statue Form now? I'm so used to tab storming that I feel overly cautious now, which I guess is the right way to play.

http://pastebin.com/raw/fwXYn41u

code:
jerkstore the Fighter (Demonspawn Wanderer)        Turns: 12190, Time: 00:52:07

Health: 94/94      AC: 19    Str: 25    XL:     12   Next: 28%
Magic:  16/18      EV: 20    Int: 37    God:    Cheibriados [*****.]
Gold:   110        SH:  0    Dex: 26    Spells: 7 memorised, 4 levels left

rFire  . . .      SeeInvis .      - Unarmed
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    R - +0 mottled dragon armour {rSticky}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    (no shield)
rPois  +          Spirit   .    A - +1 hat
rElec  .          Dismiss  .    O - +2 cloak
rCorr  .          Reflect  .    x - +1 pair of gloves of Muvvurpha {Int+4}
SustAt +          Harm     .    G - +0 pair of boots
MR     +++..      Clarity  +    c - amulet of the Four Winds {rN+ MR+++ Clar}
Stlth  ++........               d - ring of sustain attributes
                                o - ring of wizardry {Wiz+, !d}

@: very slow, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: horns 2, yellow scales 2, berserk 1, blurry vision 1, clever 2, poison
resistance, powered by death 2, screaming 1, spiny 2
a: Bend Time, Temporal Distortion, Slouch, Step From Time, Renounce Religion

You are on level 1 of the Lair of Beasts.
You worship Cheibriados.
Cheibriados is extremely pleased with you.
You are not hungry.

You have visited 3 branches of the dungeon, and seen 14 of its levels.
You have also visited: Bailey.

Skills:
 + Level 8.3 Fighting
   Level 1.7 Bows
 - Level 7.8 Armour
 + Level 8.2 Dodging
   Level 1.0 Shields
 + Level 7.5 Unarmed Combat
 + Level 4.5 Spellcasting
 - Level 1.0 Conjurations
 - Level 3.8 Charms
 - Level 4.8 Summonings
 - Level 4.0 Translocations
 * Level 7.9 Invocations
 - Level 4.0 Evocations

You have 4 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Summon Small Mammal   Summ           ####         1%          1    None
b - Teleport Other        Tloc           #####...     1%          3    None
c - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
d - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      ##......     4%          3    None
e - Passage of Golubria   Tloc           N/A          4%          4    ###....
g - Apportation           Tloc           #####.....   1%          1    None
s - Shroud of Golubria    Chrm/Tloc      #####.....   1%          2    None

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Winrate was above 50% but then I died twice in stupid ways trying to get KoMo going. Woe is me. turn off all skills besides unarmed and dodging(unarmed focus) for a while, IMO. Your skill are kind of spread out.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

PleasingFungus posted:

Even if it removed one third of your max HP per turn and gave you slow that would still be preferable to instantly dying. Or just reserve that for lava and make drowning status cripple you badly like starving plus mesmerization.

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Goddamn can we please get rid of the boggarts, holy poo poo

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

68k posted:

PleasingFungus * 0.18-a0-2582-g718106b: add more boggarts (in the future, 14 files, 556+ 747-) http://s-z.org/neil/git/commit.png?p=crawl.git;a=commitdiff;h=718106b

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

PleasingFungus * 0.18-a0-2582-g718106b: add more boggarts (in the future, 14 files, 556+ 747-) http://s-z.org/neil/git/commit.png?p=crawl.git;a=commitdiff;h=718106b

now put satyas face on it

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
I wish I could find my morgue that was like "killed by a frost giant summoned by a boggart summoned by a lich summoned by a boggart."

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Boggarts summoned by other boggarts probably shouldn't be able to cast summoning spells though. This isn't Angband.

Person Dyslexic
Jul 23, 2007
Just scored team ZeeZeeMeatls first victory, and it was a 15 runer that somehow took top score overall on the new server as well! I'M NOT USELESS!!!!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

68k posted:

I honestly find rakashas more annoying than boggarts now. Boggarts at least have the courtesy to die easily when you hit them.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Boggarts summoned by other boggarts probably shouldn't be able to cast summoning spells though. This isn't Angband.
Just walk away if you can't kill the boggart easily

summons are temporary in this game so it's fine

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Hahahahahahahaha How The gently caress Is Boggart Summoning Real Hahahaha 68k Just Walk Away From The Boggart Like 68k Close The Door Haha

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Oka might be an issue depending on race/background because you'll have to rely on a quarterstaff for a while and will be pretty weak for a while
You'll generally get either a branded quarterstaff or a lajatang by mid/late Lair(which is about when a plain quarterstaff stops cutting it), so it's not that bad.

It helps that there's only two melee staves for Oka to pick from, so you don't have as much time wasted getting lovely low-tier weapons for your skill.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I probably have been complaining about this for close to a decade now, but getting abyss'd at low levels isn't interesting. Getting out is a function of how lucky you are and how many TP scrolls you have on hand, and nearly nothing else...Not that I'm mad. (I'm kinda mad at video games).

In unrelated news, I lost a streak to getting abyss'd at level 13.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

The downside of melee staves is that only gladiators can start with them.

Otherwise they are really good.

E: Lajatangs are really common loot compared to Axe/Blade/Mace top tier weapons as well.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I probably have been complaining about this for close to a decade now, but getting abyss'd at low levels isn't interesting. Getting out is a function of how lucky you are and how many TP scrolls you have on hand, and nearly nothing else...Not that I'm mad. (I'm kinda mad at video games).

In unrelated news, I lost a streak to getting abyss'd at level 13.

i got banished to abyss 3 because of bad MR then one autoexplore later got teleported into the rune vault

splat

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Today I discovered that unequipping a distort weapon scales your banish to your XL. So Vow of Courage was tricky when I could only go to A5. I actually found Tomb easier than Abyss though that's also because Zin absolutely chumps Tomb.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Lajatangs used to be really rare. Then spriggan packs were added to depths so you will probably run into at least one defender using a lajatang. Before that you just had to hope Agnes spawned in your game, cause otherwise no enemies normally carried them.

I almost always use them on my ranged characters as a backup melee weapon, as they do solid damage while reaching mindelay at relatively low skill.

Edilaic
Jul 10, 2008
Oh man, I love Okie sometimes:
a - the +5 great mace "Ogre's Peril" (weapon) {vamp, rElec rN+++ Str+2 Dex-5}
Okawaru gifted it to you on level 4 of the Lair of Beasts.

(NB: I'm on Ogrecoming Adversity)

Edit: Oh, hm. It is competing with a +2 GSC of crushing. But I feel like the great mace is probably better? At M&F 20 at the moment.

Edilaic fucked around with this message at 09:16 on May 9, 2016

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So after a few false starts, I have a DEFE rolling along nicely and it's time to branch out. I've been using bolt of draining so far for fire-resistant stuff, but I think I need to go either ice or earth at this point. I have books for both and I'm a huge fan of freezing cloud, but wanted the thread's advice. I would like to take this guy past 3 runes if I can, so which school serves better for that alongside fire?

Dump: http://dumptext.com/2MmMIGEn

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'd say ice. It's the most useful in the short term and shatter is less important when you have firestorm. You get freezing cloud, cold bolt does well enough compared to iron shot, and glaciate gives you a melee attack to cover firestorms weakness. As a bonus they both use conjurations so the xp investment is shared.

If you have chain lightning & tornado, air is also an option.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'd say so enough earth for iron shot then ice.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Holy poo poo large rocks have been nerfed hard! I do think they were excessively strong and that throwing in general was due for a nerf, but 2.0 base delay? Javelins seem to be in a pretty reasonable place now, but I don't know that large rocks to be that much weaker. Especially because this will make them weaker in the late game, but they'll still be extremely good at that point. What this change does is particularly screw over ogres and trolls in the early and mid-game. And ogres were already hit with a weaker throwing aptitude and have a really tough time at the point in the game at which this change hurts them hardest.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The worst part of the throwing nerf is that I can no longer grab piles of tomahawks off of the ground to wake up enemies while having 0 throwing. Now I have to stick with stones for the lower base delay.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

I'm mostly upset that I can't loot the tiny boggart hats

edit: Won DEAM. Please don't play DEAM.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Finished up Tomb this morning for my sixth rune. loving terrifying, but way better than my only other Tomb attempt where I had zero ranged options. I love javelins of penetration.

Gonna head into Pan for the first time after work today, I think.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

staplegun posted:

I'm mostly upset that I can't loot the tiny boggart hats

edit: Won DEAM. Please don't play DEAM.

Why would you say that?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Damnit crawl! I knew that Ghost Moths would be the death of me so I kept holding off doing spider till I found a source of sInv.

Died escaping from a bug floor on a ziggurat after clearing most places I felt comfortable just looking for a source of sInv. Only one I ever found was on a anti-magic randart spear.

God I am sucking so far this tournament.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I had a busy weekend so I haven't been able to contribute much to Pictures of Ru, but I think I'm doing our patron proud with a GrFi^Ru that's 2 runs down and with a vampiric demon whip just otabbing through everything so far. The further I get the more scared I become, though, because I'm getting all the drops that make this guy at least a guaranteed 3 runer (reflection shield, boots of running, vampiric demon whip w/brand scroll for later) which means I'm somehow going to gently caress this up badly :ohdear:

• Locked thread