Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

tarlibone posted:

... OK, so I'm going to be "that guy" and just throw this out there: he didn't mention 9/11. I mean, I don't like being the guy who brings up 9/11, but when recapping the events of the last 17 years, that's one that I'm pretty sure you'd want to at least mention.
The Onion has you covered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Thank goodness! (And I like how within moments of hearing the old news for the first time, some cicadas were becoming truthers.)

See, folks? You can make a lighthearted comment or two about 9/11 when setting the comment in the framework of a humorous news update for 17-year cicadas who have missed a few rather big historical events. For one thing, the cicadas might wonder why there were so many more American flags on display than there were a while back.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tarlibone posted:

Thank goodness! (And I like how within moments of hearing the old news for the first time, some cicadas were becoming truthers.)

See, folks? You can make a lighthearted comment or two about 9/11 when setting the comment in the framework of a humorous news update for 17-year cicadas who have missed a few rather big historical events. For one thing, the cicadas might wonder why there were so many more American flags on display than there were a while back.

Also confederate

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Also confederate

True.

The US certainly is a flaggier place than it was back in 1999. And I should know, because unlike some of you whippersnappers, I was well into my 20s back then. I remember not long after bin Laden went all jet fuel on those steel beams, there were stories in the news about how flag manufacturers and retailers were having serious trouble keeping up with demand.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

tarlibone posted:

True.

The US certainly is a flaggier place than it was back in 1999. And I should know, because unlike some of you whippersnappers, I was well into my 20s back then. I remember not long after bin Laden went all jet fuel on those steel beams, there were stories in the news about how flag manufacturers and retailers were having serious trouble keeping up with demand.

Unrelated, back then it was popular to call people "flags" minus the 'L' of course :ninja:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Harton posted:

God damnit, now I'm actually starting to get curious.

They did a performance at the White House a while back. Two songs they did are on YouTube. Just search for 'Hamilton White House'. The songs are called Alexander Hamilton and Take My Shot.

If you don't have a visceral hate for musicals in general, I'm willing to bet you'll love it.

I'd give you links, but phone posting.

richardfun fucked around with this message at 07:00 on May 3, 2016

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I learned that the Hamilton soundtrack is also free to listen to with Prime Music. I listened to some earlier today, and while I'm not a huge fan of theater in general, this was good. :)

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

richardfun posted:

They did a performance at the White House a while back. Two songs they did are on YouTube. Just search for 'Hamilton White House'. The songs are called Alexander Hamilton and Take My Shot.

If you don't have a visceral hate for musicals in general, I'm willing to bet you'll love it.

I'd give you links, but phone posting.

I definitely have a visceral hatred for musicals though. I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually go see it, but I got Spotify and I'm pretty sure it's on there. I'll have to keep it in mind. I've been renovating my house and I've listened to just about everything to death lately while working and could use something new.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Thank you this thread for convincing me to listen to Hamilton. I'm an unapologetic EDM fan that listens to other genres of music in a "Yeah i can see how that sounds good to other people." way, then goes back to dj mixes of breaks. But that was legit good music. I think it is doing so well because it taps in to our collective memory of pop and hip-hop over the last 20-25 years.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I was hoping this conversation would finally be done. The Hamilton implementation into the episode was a little clumsy, but that's just Johnny O. Watch Hamilton before you decide it sucks, as someone who actively dislikes musicals. Good lord.

Anyway, this season is okay.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Harton posted:

I definitely have a visceral hatred for musicals though. I don't think I could ever bring myself to actually go see it, but I got Spotify and I'm pretty sure it's on there. I'll have to keep it in mind. I've been renovating my house and I've listened to just about everything to death lately while working and could use something new.

It is on Spotify. That's where I got it from. Since I am not a New Yorker or a millionaire, I'd estimate the chances of me ever seeing it on Broadway to be approximately zero.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Somberbrero posted:

I was hoping this conversation would finally be done. The Hamilton implementation into the episode was a little clumsy, but that's just Johnny O. Watch Hamilton before you decide it sucks, as someone who actively dislikes musicals. Good lord.

Anyway, this season is okay.

If only this were really possible. Travelling to New York and spending a poo poo ton of money on impossible to get tickets isn't really on my list of "Things I can pull off" right now.

Like, I get it, people who live in New York get to see all these awesome shows, and it's one of the advantages to living there, and a con about not living there. It's just how it goes. But it gets annoying when people say, "You need to see Hamilton," or, "Oh my God, have you seen Hamilton?" *sigh* Maybe in a few years when it goes on tour, I guess.

I can listen to the music, though. And it is good.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

If only this were really possible. Travelling to New York and spending a poo poo ton of money on impossible to get tickets isn't really on my list of "Things I can pull off" right now.

Like, I get it, people who live in New York get to see all these awesome shows, and it's one of the advantages to living there, and a con about not living there. It's just how it goes. But it gets annoying when people say, "You need to see Hamilton," or, "Oh my God, have you seen Hamilton?" *sigh* Maybe in a few years when it goes on tour, I guess.

I can listen to the music, though. And it is good.

I don't know if Hamilton will, but a lot of successful broadway stuff ends up doing a travelling show.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hemophilia posted:

I don't know if Hamilton will, but a lot of successful broadway stuff ends up doing a travelling show.

Right, that's why I said maybe in a few years when it goes on tour. It's how I saw Book of Mormon like 2-3 years after everyone was done talking about it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's also the performance of the first song at the Grammys, here it is, if you want to get a feeling of the costumes and choreography. PBS is also doing a behind-the-scenes documentary.

And they just got nominated for sixteen Tonys. Prepare for another onslaught of media buzz, contrarians.

(This thread will get back on track once Oliver does another episode.)

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 3, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I wasn't really aware of any of the things that John Oliver recapped for the cicadas. I guess I'm not as pop culture-oriented as a bug.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

SlothfulCobra posted:

I wasn't really aware of any of the things that John Oliver recapped for the cicadas. I guess I'm not as pop culture-oriented as a bug.

Like Beyonce? Or Justin Timberlake?

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
It's good to know we'll never move past people patting themselves on the back for a supposed lack of cultural awareness.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Baronash posted:

It's good to know we'll never move past people patting themselves on the back for a supposed lack of cultural awareness.

I don't even own a back.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

IRQ posted:

I don't even own a back.

I misread this at first hilariously

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

There's also the performance of the first song at the Grammys, here it is, if you want to get a feeling of the costumes and choreography. PBS is also doing a behind-the-scenes documentary.

And they just got nominated for sixteen Tonys. Prepare for another onslaught of media buzz, contrarians.

(This thread will get back on track once Oliver does another episode.)

There's supposed to be interest in a TV special and a movie and that makes me wonder, has anyone ever gotten an EGOT for (technically) the same thing?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

muscles like this? posted:

There's supposed to be interest in a TV special and a movie and that makes me wonder, has anyone ever gotten an EGOT for (technically) the same thing?

Sort of Mel Brooks got an academy award for the movie Producers, and Tony & Grammy for The musical Producers.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
In Hamilton there's a song called The Reynolds Pamphlet, and I'm now reading the actual Reynolds Pamphlet and it's kinda hilarious and Hamilton is awesome and it's no wonder someone made a production about him.

There's a part where he calls his accusers idiots because if he actually did the illegal things they are accusing him of, he'd do it better.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SlothfulCobra posted:

I diagnosed our illness and I'm afraid it is serious and will end with death: You are an old fart.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Burkion posted:

I misread this at first hilariously
The second time, was the misreading as not funny as it was the first time for the rest of us?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Decius posted:

I diagnosed our illness and I'm afraid it is serious and will end with death: You are an old fart.

No I'm pretty sure old farts are still aware of minor notaries like "President Bush" and "the Boston Red Sox". You guys are just basement-dwelling dweebs I guess

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hey guys, did you hear there's this kewl new musical called "Hamilton" where these dudes rap about history & stuff? It's pretty :krad:!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm avoiding the hell out of that and every musical. I hate musicals and I hate being told no but wait no no no you'll like this one.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm not fan of musicals. I even completely hate most musical movies including every disney movie structured around singing, except the Lion King and Alladin, and that has a lot to do with those being around in my formative years, and the quality of the not-singy bits. I've never seen a play that I liked, but I've also never seen a broadway production. Not in new york or on the tavelling show. Especially not one that's some tony-shattering affair like The Book Of Mormon was, and like Hamilton is already lining up to be.

So please take it from me when I say I think it's really loving dumb and silly to be as obstinate as some of you are being when you have no frame of reference for what you're talking about except Disney movies, your high-school theater department's rendition of A Midsummer Night's Dream, or third-rate local theater productions or The Secret Garden or whatever. When art is good, it transcends the medium. If you made it to the age where you're old you should have also figured that out by now. Nobody likes a codger dudes.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 6, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry about hating it. I will love it enough for all of you curmudgeons.

I managed to listen to It's Quiet Uptown today without crying, which gives me a lot of pride.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Atomizer posted:

Hey guys, did you hear there's this kewl new musical called "Hamilton" where these dudes rap about history & stuff? It's pretty :krad:!

I have a general aversion to musicals.

Thanks to this thread (And previously seeing Lin Manuel Miranda guesting on other shows) I listened to it on spotify.

Then I bought the cast recording.

Now i'm on my 5th round of listening through it.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Atomizer posted:

you thought you were making a fun joke but you're really just keeping us trapped in this hell

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Sivart13 posted:

you thought you were making a fun joke but you're really just keeping us trapped in this hell

The other option was arguing about the Puerto Rican debt crisis based only on the knowledge gained from a 15 minute segment of a comedy show, so I'd suggest not reading the thread till the next episode instead of whining about people talking about something you personally aren't interested in.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Asiina posted:

Don't worry about hating it. I will love it enough for all of you curmudgeons.

I managed to listen to It's Quiet Uptown today without crying, which gives me a lot of pride.

Man, that one slays me too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Krinkle posted:

I'm avoiding the hell out of that and every musical. I hate musicals and I hate being told no but wait no no no you'll like this one.
everything's legal in New Jersey

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
But wait TED talks are already on the academic level of morning talk shows. That's kind of the entire point.

L_Harrison
May 22, 2007
Sucks to see Dr. Henry Wu demoted to doing scientific talks of questionable accuracy. That failed dinosaur park really hit him hard.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

L_Harrison posted:

Sucks to see Dr. Henry Wu demoted to doing scientific talks of questionable accuracy. That failed dinosaur park really hit him hard.

was that h. jon benjamin who rushed the stage saying coffee cured cancer

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

comes along bort posted:

But wait TED talks are already on the academic level of morning talk shows. That's kind of the entire point.

I don't think morning talk shows are nearly at the level of smugness or bizarre neo-televangelist style that TED talks are at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

was that h. jon benjamin who rushed the stage saying coffee cured cancer

It sure was!

Edit: also comedian Sunita Mani who you might remember breaking a baseball bat against a guy's dick and then smashing his head through the floor with her butt in Lil John's TURN DOWN FOR WHAT music video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMUDVMiITOU

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 9, 2016

• Locked thread