Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

open24hours posted:

Telling the truth never got anyone anywhere.

Yes it has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

open24hours posted:

Labor has been particularly sore over a supposed preference arrangement between the Greens and the Liberal Party in Victoria, in which Liberals would preference the Greens in seats the Greens are targeting, in return for the Greens running open tickets (rather than preference Labor) in some marginal suburban seats. 

Is there any basis to this other than the claims of Michael Danby, the dude who is preferring the Liberals above the Greens in his own electorate?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Mad Katter posted:

Is there any basis to this other than the claims of Michael Danby, the dude who is preferring the Liberals above the Greens in his own electorate?

albanese also lies

I could swear I saw an article a week or two back where di natale said nowhere is preferencing libs higher than labor

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Get on my level.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tory scum checking in

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Seagull posted:

albanese also lies

I could swear I saw an article a week or two back where di natale said nowhere is preferencing libs higher than labor

https://twitter.com/ABCNews24/status/729499548117131268

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Get on my level.

Does your clock radio play "Workers of the World, Unite!" as your alarm?

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

To me this actually looks like he's giving an evasive answer and that some branches may indeed choose to preference the Libs?

Although even if they were doing that surely it's in seats like Melbourne where the Libs don't have a snowball's chance anyway?

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
whats a clock radio

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

A browser extension removed the post code entry form, so I selected NSW. The first question was about refugees. Then I went back and entered my postcode. Now the first question is about a federal corruption watchdog. lmao.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

freebooter posted:

To me this actually looks like he's giving an evasive answer and that some branches may indeed choose to preference the Libs?

Although even if they were doing that surely it's in seats like Melbourne where the Libs don't have a snowball's chance anyway?

It's a truncated quote - Branches get to chose preferences, but the policy gulf between Green and LNP is so great that the likelihood of any branch choosing LNP over ALP is very small.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

The Greens lack economic purity. :commissar:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Negligent posted:

whats a clock radio

This is a clock radio. All the benefits of a radio, as well as having a clock in it

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I keep seeing that Albo was "disadvantaged" by the redistribution but I don't see how, Balmain/Rozelle was solid for the ALP in 2013

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Magog posted:

The Greens lack economic purity. :commissar:

The greens are actually further left than the compass places them, for some reason the answers didn't include free education which is greens policy lol.

turdbucket
Oct 30, 2011

Birdstrike posted:

I keep seeing that Albo was "disadvantaged" by the redistribution but I don't see how, Balmain/Rozelle was solid for the ALP in 2013

Sorry for double post but he lost south marrickville and some of the more western labor heartland side of Grayndler.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

You Am I posted:

Does your clock radio play "Workers of the World, Unite!" as your alarm?

"I am woman" actually.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Ignimbrite posted:

loving laffo

E: my dad's copy of the smellograph has a different subtitle than that one. We're regional NSW though

https://twitter.com/GrogsGamut/status/729415598506024960

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
:toot: The Arts Party made its Pozible funding goal of $35k.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

I just discovered that after moving a suburb over I've gone from an electorate that is a somewhat safe Labor seat, to a marginal Liberal seat :getin:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

What do people think about parallel book imports?

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/productivity-commission-copyright-findings-leave-canberra-authors-concerned-20160506-goo7yv.html
The Productivity Commission's description of copyright protection terms as "excessive" in Australia has left Canberra authors concerned about the future of the system.

The commission's draft report on intellectual property found an optimal copyright term for works would be "closer to 15 to 25 years" after their creation, far less time than the current arrangements which provide protection for the author's life, plus 70 years.

Australia would require international co-operation and negotiation to lower its copyright terms, which the commission felt did not deserve "high-priority policy attention" but argued current arrangements were inconsistent with "an efficient and effective IP framework".

If the commission's draft finding was adopted, the author of a book published this weekend could lose their exclusive rights to their work by the early 2030s.

The 15 to 25-year period was justified using ABS figures showing some three-quarters of original literary works were retired after a year, with the commercial life of books ranging between 1.4 and five years on average.

"A commercial life of a couple of years suggests most works are granted protection for decades longer than necessary," the report said.

"Extensions of term mean where works are still commercially available, consumers can expect to pay higher prices for longer."

The finding sparked outrage from writers, publishers and the Australian Writers Guild, with Canberra Times columnist and award-winning children's author Jackie French penning an open letter condemning the proposals.

Submissions have since been made to the report from other authors criticising the report.

In her submission, crime writer Sandi Wallace said the copyright length finding was inadequate for authors who relied on the industry for a living.

"Writing is my livelihood, not a hobby," she said.

"How can it be fair that my ownership of my work be limited to a mere 15 years? Even 20 years is tremendously inadequate."

One of the report's main focus areas was on parallel import restrictions, which prevents sellers from importing books when an Australian publisher has exclusive rights to the title, provided the latter does so within 30 days of the original overseas publication.

Authors and publishers have criticised the commission's proposal to wind back the restrictions by the end of 2017, but the report described the practice as enabling "geographic price discrimination".

Queensland University of Technology Professor of Property and Intellectual Law Matthew Rimmer described the campaign against stopping parallel import restrictions as a scare campaign.

"Australia's parallel imports restrictions are out-of-date and anti-competitive, so this report will help modernise our intellectual property laws for the 21st century," he said.

"Current restrictions have largely benefited multinational publishing networks and foreign authors so it is a shame publishers and authors are running this scare campaign."

Written submissions about the draft report can be made before June 3. The commission is expected to hand the final report to the federal government in August.

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/latenightlive/publishing-in-peril/7387884

The Productivity Commission has just handed down its draft report which recommended that parallel import restrictions be lifted to benefit consumers by reducing book prices.

Publishers and authors are opposed to the restrictions being lifted because they say that it will reduce income for Australian publishers and authors, many of whom already struggle to make a living.

I didn't really know much about it and assumed it was just a hangover from the protectionist days, but the people interviewed on LNL make a pretty compelling case for restricting it, and you can already order whatever from wherever if it's for your own use.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

turdbucket posted:

The greens are actually further left than the compass places them, for some reason the answers didn't include free education which is greens policy lol.

Yeah, noticed that and a few other questions were frustrating.

One question asks 'Should Sunday workers receive higher penalty rates than Saturday workers?', well no but in context I must say 'Yes' because there is no nuance to my disagreement and the assumed rationale in this issue is that a 'No' means taking money out of Sunday workers pay, not say, lifting Saturday rates to meet them.

They should use a 7 point Likert scale instead of 5 points, where the extreme ends are basically "further left"/"further right" options.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Magog posted:

Yeah, noticed that and a few other questions were frustrating.

One question asks 'Should Sunday workers receive higher penalty rates than Saturday workers?', well no but in context I must say 'Yes' because there is no nuance to my disagreement and the assumed rationale in this issue is that a 'No' means taking money out of Sunday workers pay, not say, lifting Saturday rates to meet them.

They should use a 7 point Likert scale instead of 5 points, where the extreme ends are basically "further left"/"further right" options.

Yeah, https://australia.isidewith.com/political-quiz does this under the 'other stances' option.

Much better, but really those options still shouldn't be hidden.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The whole method is flawed. The scales should be 'more like Labor on economic/social issues' to 'more like Liberal on economic/social issues' rather than left/right conservative/progressive.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

is this a real actual thing printed in the daily terrorgraph today?

The Before Times fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 9, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

open24hours posted:

The whole method is flawed. The scales should be 'more like Labor on economic/social issues' to 'more like Liberal on economic/social issues' rather than left/right conservative/progressive.

Well yeah obviously. If it were actually a measure of left/right progressive/conservative the origin would be a full two grid spaces left.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Mithranderp posted:

is this a real actual thing printed in the daily terrorgraph today?

free_market_robot.jpg

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005

Mad Katter posted:

More specifically, Michael Danby, the dude who is preferring the Liberals above the Greens in his own electorate which contains the local seat of Prahran which was knife edge Liberal/Green and went Green on preferences.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
We really need to reign in the media bias. Are there any resources/discussions/movements about ways to stop this that aren't dangerous to liberty or risk even further abuse?

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Higsian posted:

We really need to reign in the media bias. Are there any resources/discussions/movements about ways to stop this that aren't dangerous to liberty or risk even further abuse?

https://youtu.be/acT_PSAZ7BQ

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Thanks for posting this, this is loving badass.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

lmao
Murdoch must be desperate to try and prove he can still influence a political process somewhere after Trump destroyed Fox News' hold over the GOP.

Jokes on him because he might be unable to influence News Corp soon: http://www.theage.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/news-corp-faces-shareholder-revolt-after-2015-near-miss-20160505-gomt87.html

open24hours posted:

What do people think about parallel book imports?

I didn't really know much about it and assumed it was just a hangover from the protectionist days, but the people interviewed on LNL make a pretty compelling case for restricting it, and you can already order whatever from wherever if it's for your own use.

The current restrictions are apparently one reason why textbooks are so loving expensive. There is probably some sort of compromise that makes textbooks cheaper but retains protections for local authors and publishers.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Tokamak posted:

A browser extension removed the post code entry form, so I selected NSW. The first question was about refugees. Then I went back and entered my postcode. Now the first question is about a federal corruption watchdog. lmao.

I live in a suburb full of old people and the first question is about euthanasia.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I think it's randomised each time you load it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Higsian posted:

I hear Gamergate has some words to say about journalism. :downsowned:

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Do authors of textbooks even get much from their sale, or is it mostly just publishing mark-up?

And aren't we only at our current length of ip-protection because we've been following suit with America's protection of Mickey Mouse?

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Wheezle posted:

I hear Gamergate has some words to say about journalism. :downsowned:

mods

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

gay picnic defence posted:

lmao
Murdoch must be desperate to try and prove he can still influence a political process somewhere after Trump destroyed Fox News' hold over the GOP.

Jokes on him because he might be unable to influence News Corp soon: http://www.theage.com.au/business/media-and-marketing/news-corp-faces-shareholder-revolt-after-2015-near-miss-20160505-gomt87.html

The current restrictions are apparently one reason why textbooks are so loving expensive. There is probably some sort of compromise that makes textbooks cheaper but retains protections for local authors and publishers.

A simple solution would be to order them from overseas individually rather than through the university bookshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The first question in my electorate of Brisbane was about negative gearing

• Locked thread