Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the coiled sword fragment is just an infinite use homeward bone, so I don't understand what you mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

it just goes to your stash

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

the coiled sword fragment is just an infinite use homeward bone, so I don't understand what you mean

I need a slab in ng plus so I ran to grab it but it doesn't stack, so I can't trade it for a slab without giving it away.

Obviously not a huge deal at this point but it felt like a waste of time.

Kild posted:

it just goes to your stash

E: ah cool

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

NESguerilla posted:

Coiled sword fragment doesn't stack? Laaaame

However, it IS pump a rum!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Gimmick multiplayer is the best multiplayer. Nothing makes me happier than encountering someone with a gimmick, especially if they play it to the hilt.

I summoned "Fashion Souls" in front of the Dragonslayer Armor a couple weeks ago. He didn't like my Artorias outfit. After doing the collapsing gesture, he switched to Artorias, then changed the helm for the Dancer helmet. Looked much better. Been rocking it ever since. There was a story on Reddit about someone getting invaded by The Fashion Police that went much the same.

I decided to do a gimmick invasion of my own, so I started invading Archdragon Peak as a dragon! Mostly trying to freak people out with the twinkling head/torso stones. Gank squads and Serious Business people abound, but every now and then I'll run into someone who has no idea wtf to do. Took a video of a guy (and his phantom) that I trapped near a bonfire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCm123PQRk

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Nuebot posted:

So I had a weird thought about something I want to see in the DLC. Random mimics. Just make every chest have a random percent chance of being a mimic. Sometimes you open it and get your item, sometimes you open it and get a mimic. Oh no!

Hunter charm though

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Zand posted:

Hunter charm though

You can only hold ten! Maybe make every chest reset with random poo poo every time you sit at a bonfire too.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Deified Data posted:

My MO for bosses is to solo everyone on my first playthrough, ideally without a shield (Pontiff's the only one I had to break it out for). This results in tons of frustration and some days where I just didn't feel like playing but when I'm done it's my license to summon however much I want for any boss I want because I already know I can do it.

These days I do the opposite. I drop signs at all new bosses, run that bitch until I know it inside and out, then stomp its poo poo when I'm done and ready to move on. From there I'll try to stretch what I know about the bosses with fairly rigid novelty builds, like "greataxe only", "Sorceries only", and so on. Sometimes need to bend the rules a little, but usually not by much.

I'm more about the dungeon crawling and invasions. Bosses can be neat, but whatever. They're run and done, but with invasions, dungeons keep on giving.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ConfusedUs posted:

Gimmick multiplayer is the best multiplayer. Nothing makes me happier than encountering someone with a gimmick, especially if they play it to the hilt.

My next gimmick is to name my character Marty McFly and just run around invading people's worlds, dropping Heavy Gems, and leaving.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

I summoned "Fashion Souls" in front of the Dragonslayer Armor a couple weeks ago. He didn't like my Artorias outfit. After doing the collapsing gesture, he switched to Artorias, then changed the helm for the Dancer helmet. Looked much better. Been rocking it ever since. There was a story on Reddit about someone getting invaded by The Fashion Police that went much the same.

I decided to do a gimmick invasion of my own, so I started invading Archdragon Peak as a dragon! Mostly trying to freak people out with the twinkling head/torso stones. Gank squads and Serious Business people abound, but every now and then I'll run into someone who has no idea wtf to do. Took a video of a guy (and his phantom) that I trapped near a bonfire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuCm123PQRk

Not DS3, but my personal favorite gimmick was baiting guys into rock throwing giants in Bloodborne. This match was actually a total accident (was just trying to annoy people by making them chase me around forever) but had by far my favorite ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pPHC1FDMqg

I did it about 20 more times after that with a 100% success rate.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012
I kept getting invaded by a hacker in the Aldrich covenant area. This guy could move at double speed and chuck fireballs like Goku, he was completely ignoring the casting delay.

I managed to shadowplay it, so I hope Steam will do something about him.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Made it through a bunch of the game this weekend, I think I'm close to complete.

Irithyll Dungeon is a crappy zone, Profaned Capital was good but Yhorm was barely a boss fight, which was a big letdown. At least Siegward got to fulfill his promise. Went back and one-shot the Old Demon King, which was fun. Dragonslayer Armour was cool, Oceiros was... Not what I expected at all. Champion Gundyr was a great goddamn fight. He makes you work so hard for every hit. I've got Dragon's Pass lined up next, then the twins, and I think after that is the last boss? Weird to think I'll be beating the game soon.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I spent a few hours doing low level invasions in the Settlement, figuring that would be the most likely place for people to have their blue badge on. I'd say less than half the time I got a cop on my rear end. When I did I just jumped off a cliff, I figure they have a hard enough time of it as it is.

My proudest accomplishment tonight was closing the entrance gate to lock the host off from his buddy, and subsequently riposting him to death.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:

Internet Kraken posted:

:byodood: HAW HAW HAW

What annoys me the most is when they smack you in the face with their bible.
https://youtu.be/xjW3BP4BQbw

Huaw huaw huawww

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

While my paranoia has so far managed to avoid that long running trick, I did get mangled a bunch by "nothing" before I realized a bible lady underneath the archway I was standing on was clipping my feet with overhand swings. Close enough to barely count as a hit, but not close enough for me to see anything hitting me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The ultimate lifeform :btroll:

My dual hanzo steel shall cut deep

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

The Wonder Weapon posted:

I've done probably over 100 runs on a pair of skeletons looking for the carthus curved great sword while using the Crystal rapier, rusted coin, and symbol of avarice. Found everything but the great sword, including 20+ non-great swords Aaaaaaa

Unfortunately it also sucks a lot!

Unrelated but someone told me 2h halberds have hyper armour but from my testing I can't see that this is actually true, can anyone confirm?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Tequila Sunrise posted:

My favorite part about the NK fight is actually the cinematic between Phase 1 and 2.

I'll basically spoiler this whole thing just in case someone doesn't want to see it.

Storm Curved Sword states "The Nameless King, ally of the ancient dragons, fought beside the Stormdrake in countless battles. When the great beast fell, the king claimed his soul, as was the custom in the age of gods". When you take down the Storm King, you can see NK raise his swordspear and falter for just a moment before he claims the soul. He had sacrificed everything, betrayed his father and his people, and had his name stricken from the annals of history, to side with the dragons. He had fought beside the King of the Storm for thousands of years, and yet now he has to turn around and finish him off himself.

I absolutely love this too. There's also a weird atmosphere of pointlessness after the kill; the place is just empty and you don't get the feeling that anything's changed, let alone improved.

His hand trembling on his weapon just before he kills the drake gets me every loving time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm glad his stupid chicken is dead

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

Unfortunately it also sucks a lot!

Unrelated but someone told me 2h halberds have hyper armour but from my testing I can't see that this is actually true, can anyone confirm?

It has a tiny bit at the end of the R1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzD6e_KEL_I at ~24:03

I find it really hard to use well except against roll attacks.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

poptart_fairy posted:

I absolutely love this too. There's also a weird atmosphere of pointlessness after the kill; the place is just empty and you don't get the feeling that anything's changed, let alone improved.

His hand trembling on his weapon just before he kills the drake gets me every loving time.

Probably not going to kill him on my consecutive playthroughs. I like leaving optional bosses alive for the most part, unless they're giant dicks.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
King of Storms is definitely a giant dick given how garbage his fight is.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfOLhliABJw

BK Glaive is insanely good.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Lol OK this is definitely the best weapon in the game for PvP now. Why does R2 R1 combo in the first place? :psyduck:

I feel like this is probably enough to get it nerfed to poo poo though.

WarpedLichen posted:

It has a tiny bit at the end of the R1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzD6e_KEL_I at ~24:03

I find it really hard to use well except against roll attacks.

Well it's nice to see that there's at least something that the BK Glaive isn't amazing at, the R2 does have some hyper armour as well from the look of that video above so you can land your death combo easier :v:

The range, speed and tracking of the attacks and combo potential makes it amazing anyway, I will just keep using the claymore / Hollowslayer GS for faster-than-UGS hyper armour options.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Why does ludleth turn to ash after you kill the guy on the dragon

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Beat the last boss on my first attempt. The bit when the music changes was the best part of the entire game.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Digirat posted:

Why does ludleth turn to ash after you kill the guy on the dragon

that happens when you put all the heads on the chairs

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

HnK416 posted:

Probably not going to kill him on my consecutive playthroughs. I like leaving optional bosses alive for the most part, unless they're giant dicks.

He defends a covetus ring on NG++. He must die. :getin:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
:toot: 1.06 finally released on pc but I forget what it changes

oh nm I googled it

The range of the matching level of the Blade of the Darkmoon and the Blue Sentinels have been adjusted.
The efficiency of the following categories has been adjusted: Short Sword, Twinsword and Magic.
Other game balance improvement and bug fixes.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It'd feel weird if FROM learnt how to do patch notes properly.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

He defends a covetus ring on NG++. He must die. :getin:

the more I hear about what you need to go through to get all the trophies in this game, the worse it gets. you'd think they'd have learned their lesson with this ages ago but nah

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

I got in line in a fight club yesterday and all 4 people in front of me were using one with a backup straight sword or estoc. I thought everybody was just trying for a R1 then the spinny weapon art thing though.

The launch PVP in this is the best out of any of the Dark Souls games though. It took like 4 patches to straighten out all the infinite stunlocks and monastery scimitar and Havel/avelyn and that dual halberd build that took no damage and one-shot everything in DS2 and DS1 didn't get a major balance patch till the DLC came out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Parrying in this game makes no sense. Sometimes it works as expected, sometimes it works but I take damage anyway, and sometimes when it doesn't work it just cleans out my entire stamina bar too for good measure.

turtlecrunch posted:

:toot: 1.06 finally released on pc but I forget what it changes

oh nm I googled it

The range of the matching level of the Blade of the Darkmoon and the Blue Sentinels have been adjusted.
The efficiency of the following categories has been adjusted: Short Sword, Twinsword and Magic.
Other game balance improvement and bug fixes.

I just looked through the list of every miracle on the wiki and the related comments about how much damage they do. It is really sad and makes me wonder if anyone actually tested offensive miracles once. Right now faith seems like a complete trap stat if you're planning on using it for anything other than a couple utility spells or pyromancy, and even then I question the value of getting very much of it.

Someday one of these patch notes will say something really cryptic and vague about a parable or something, and then one miracle will get buffed. Or maybe they'll just increase the attunement slots required for some random miracle nobody uses.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

the more I hear about what you need to go through to get all the trophies in this game, the worse it gets. you'd think they'd have learned their lesson with this ages ago but nah

Yeah I bought Yuria's rings on NG+ and wondered why the achievement didn't pop... Then I looked at the actual requirements, what the hell From!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
None of my characters are optimised for PVP and I tend to lose most straight-up fights but I enjoy getting hit with invasions because I like to give it a drat good try and it's a fun test to see how well I can do (Or how quickly I can die). I don't invade myself at all except for doing red sign Pontiff duels.

That said I feel sorry for all the invaders who regularly have to go up against ganksquads with hosts that run away because I am downright accommodating to my red visitors. I won't estus until they do, I don't ever summon people, I'm always out in the open and ready to fight and if they want to use a gimmick build I'll fight them with one of my own. I'm like the all-inclusive holiday of PVP, but gently caress you if you run over to enemies and expect me to follow you. Respect my hospitality and fight, coward :colbert:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I've started being a mound maker. It's comedy gold, especially crashing fight clubs. Sometimes people get upset and gang up on you, other times other moundmakers or reds work out what's going on and decide that they want their covenant item more than they want some e-honour.

I'm also a bad host - I summoned another player to help against the NPC moundmaker, then decided I didn't want to do a boss run, so when a player MM invaded, I kind of back off and let him murder my phantom so I could go to bed without being rude and black crystalling the guy out.

You heard it here folks - betrayal less rude than kicking someone out.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, ha. I don't think having to complete NG++ is that bad - most of us will be doing that if we're trophy hunting anyway - but tying master of miracles and master of pyromancy behind covenant turn-ins is frustrating as all hell. It feels like enforced grinding rather than a fairly organic part of gameplay.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Manatee Cannon posted:

there won't be a dark souls 4

It would look like this

The flame essentially can't be maintained any further after 3, no matter who lights it

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

L1 on twin weapons (not the Farron GS tho :argh:) seem to do 1.8* damage of the R1 now. No clue what it was before. It's two smaller hits so it does get hit harder by defense so you'll see anywhere from 1.6-1.7 times damage depending on how much AR you actually have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It would look like this

The flame essentially can't be maintained any further after 3, no matter who lights it

You joke but along these lines I'm a bit sad we didn't get an area where the torch or other light sources were needed to navigate properly.