Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
This thread inspired me to go back to the DS2 DLC that I never finished.

I may, someday, forgive you for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Decus posted:

Geop encountered the greatest problem with dark souls 2: lack of ragdoll corpses.

yeah I mean what the heck. the physics engine is just so much less mirthful, even the boxes and shelves don't explode all over the place like they should when you roll through them

(protip: they seem to respond to poise damage! R2 a greatsword or a big hammer in a storage room and the box splinters fly like shrapnel)

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Wait so not ever episode-ending death is gonna get a Roundabout?

eff this, worst LP

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Mazed posted:

eff this, worst LP

Kuvo isn't editting this shindig.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Prefacing this with "Thank gently caress it got mostly sorted in SOTFS". But I'm going to highlight an aspect of the old durability bug that also added some confusion. You'd never have noticed with a lot of the weapons.

Even when the Durability bug was A Thing, it mostly effected the bigger weapons who's models lingered in corpses with their animation. Which of course, added to the mindset of "LOL just play more effiently!" in the brown sea comminity when you expressed frustration that even one shot killing 2-4 enemies per swing was making your weapon swiftly explode.

I could go through entire areas, kill everything, smack every wall, take extra swings through the dead enemy as they fell, never had my normal sized weapons break. Came close a couple times in "Well I've killed about 50 people and smacked every wall for illusions forgetting you push A now. Let's kill the boss too", but no, never broke anything with a non joke durability stat.

BIGGER weapons on the other hand, even with higher durability stats, may as well have been made of loving balsa wood. Literally "I saved this weapon fresh for a boss fight-oh, it broke at the tail end of the boss fight. wow. Doesn't this have 20 more max durability than what I was just using?" Bad. Then I'd do it again with a smaller weapon. I also used to kill everything on the way to the boss and oh look, it's not even at half durability.

I thought people were just exaggerating, because hey now, durability is literally never an issue as long as I don't use fragile weapons! Right up until I started using weapons where, suddenly, it was an issue, and jumbo weapons with 70 durability broke faster than "fragile" hanzo steel with 20.

Once again, thank gently caress that's mostly sorted out for SOTFS.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 9, 2016

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Mazed posted:

eff this, worst LP

Wait, what? When did this happen?

MichaelGreyFox
Jan 18, 2015

A E S T H E T I C S
ive actually been rewatching the dark souls 1 lp recently since i never actually finished watching it. this is a pretty nice surprise

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

MachuPikacchu posted:

Wait, what? When did this happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87FTiCK2TF4&t=1179s

Come on man, keep up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You gotta pay the troll toll to make your way through Dark Souls.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
The ragdolls are non-interacting with the player in Dark Souls 2 because complex physics are really hard to duplicate for everyone on the network. In Dark Souls 1 (and 3) this isn't a problem because the placement of corpses don't matter: Even if that one hollow corpse flung differently on your screen than on the other player's screen, nobody cares. DS2 has a spell (that nobody ever uses) that makes use of the positions of the corpses, so their placement is suddenly relevant. To avoid having the game become laggy every time that someone bumps a corpse, they had to remove the feature.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That same spell is in DS3 so clearly someone disagreed.

bhlaab
Feb 21, 2005

Between the lack of equipment, low end, and the terrible effects of the Agility stat, I've found that the only way to make the beginning of Dark Souls 2 (especially SOTFS) even remotely bearable is to secure a weapon type you are comfortable with and get it to +5 ASAP. Unfortunately this requires quite a bit of forward knowledge. You also have to power level quite a bit, they made the stats far more important... in a bad way.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Gimbal lock posted:

The ragdolls are non-interacting with the player in Dark Souls 2 because complex physics are really hard to duplicate for everyone on the network. In Dark Souls 1 (and 3) this isn't a problem because the placement of corpses don't matter: Even if that one hollow corpse flung differently on your screen than on the other player's screen, nobody cares. DS2 has a spell (that nobody ever uses) that makes use of the positions of the corpses, so their placement is suddenly relevant. To avoid having the game become laggy every time that someone bumps a corpse, they had to remove the feature.

Just remove that loving spell then.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

And it's also in Dark Souls 3, same as it ever was.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It might be a power issue since ds3 is a ps4/xbox one title?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Relevant since people are talking about ragdoll physics vis a vis this spell. It's particularly amusing to me since there's a filk song by an artist I enjoy with the same title that's about video gaming.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Andrast posted:

Just remove that loving spell then.

That spell is really loving fun if you use it right.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

That spell is really loving fun if you use it right.

It's not a very good spell and no spell is worth losing ragdolls.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
durability is a bad mechanic in general because it's either pointlessly infuriating or almost completely irrelevant

Also there is nothing short of the ability to create a fully functioning multiplayer-accessible zombie army with corpses that should have resulted in the removal of ragdoll physics

Jen X fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 9, 2016

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

That's some ballsy no-lock-on fighting there. Then again, I'm using mouse + keyboard so turning to face a specific direction is not my forte.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Huh, i always assumed the broken straight sword would do absolutely minimum damage. You took out a old knight with it pretty handily though which is cool.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Regarding the durability glitch, it actually was present in SotFS at launch, in both the PS4/Xbone and PC versions. Its popping up in a console version finally made them stop ignoring it, and they subsequently patched it out of both SotFS and the PC version of the original release.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

That's some ballsy no-lock-on fighting there. Then again, I'm using mouse + keyboard so turning to face a specific direction is not my forte.

I'm never sure whether to feel sorry for or be impressed by people who play these games with mouse and keyboard. I've heard they've improved the m/kb controls since Dark Souls 1, though, which is good, because they were straight-up, no-redeeming-qualities garbage in that one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

I'm never sure whether to feel sorry for or be impressed by people who play these games with mouse and keyboard. I've heard they've improved the m/kb controls since Dark Souls 1, though, which is good, because they were straight-up, no-redeeming-qualities garbage in that one.
I've beaten both DS1 and 2 on keyboard and mouse multiple times. It's just a matter of getting used to it for a while.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

UNATCO Telephone posted:

Move forward - Mouse 2
Back - Z
Left - X
Right - C
Duck - V
Jump - Space
Primary fire - Mouse 1

People can be good with all sorts of stupid keybinds/input methods. Also that one guy who's beat DS1 with all kinds of weird controllers

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Y'know, I give DS2 a lot of poo poo, but I'll say this: they nailed the backstab animations. They're so good. I don't like DS2's parry/riposte style, but those backstabs are beautiful.

anilEhilated posted:

I've beaten both DS1 and 2 on keyboard and mouse multiple times. It's just a matter of getting used to it for a while.

You have a patience that far exceeds mine.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
People really overstate how "bad" M+KB controls are for a lot of games. Ignoring actual porting issues like DS2's weird mouse input delay at launch, the only thing about Dark Souls that I could see benefitting from a controller is rapidly circling around someone's back while not locked on, so I expect M+KB puts me at a slight disadvantage in PvP. Otherwise a keyboard lets you do the exact same things as a controller, it just takes maybe an extra 10 minutes to build the muscle memory for stuff like switching items because it's bound to some keys near WASD or whatever rather than your d-pad which is shaped like the item HUD.

Hell, I beat God Hand on the hardest difficulty on keyboard and I think it's way easier than on a dualshock since you get more than one digit total for attacks and dodging. Keyboards own.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HMS Boromir posted:

People really overstate how "bad" M+KB controls are for a lot of games. Ignoring actual porting issues like DS2's weird mouse input delay at launch, the only thing about Dark Souls that I could see benefitting from a controller is rapidly circling around someone's back while not locked on, so I expect M+KB puts me at a slight disadvantage in PvP. Otherwise a keyboard lets you do the exact same things as a controller, it just takes maybe an extra 10 minutes to build the muscle memory for stuff like switching items because it's bound to some keys near WASD or whatever rather than your d-pad which is shaped like the item HUD.

Hell, I beat God Hand on the hardest difficulty on keyboard and I think it's way easier than on a dualshock since you get more than one digit total for attacks and dodging. Keyboards own.

The mouse acceleration on DS1 is super fucky. I played DS1 for the first time this christmas, and after a week I had to just stop and wait for my 360 controller to arrive from Amazon because there was just no way to move the camera around without it flying around way too fast. There's also a noticable delay from the time you hit a key to a time the input is registered, so parrying only works like 40% of the time.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I think I used DSMFix or whatever for DS1 so presumably the mouse acceleration bug didn't affect me - I agree that the ports have serious input issues but if you're stubborn enough to play on M+KB you're stubborn enough to download fixes for them. I definitely didn't experience any delay with keyboard inputs so maybe some part of DSFix/DSMFix also removed that problem?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HMS Boromir posted:

I think I used DSMFix or whatever for DS1 so presumably the mouse acceleration bug didn't affect me - I agree that the ports have serious input issues but if you're stubborn enough to play on M+KB you're stubborn enough to download fixes for them. I definitely didn't experience any delay with keyboard inputs so maybe some part of DSFix/DSMFix also removed that problem?

Nah, I used dsfix too, because otherwise you can't play in resolutions above 720p.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

arguing that you can get used to playing DS with k+m is like arguing you can get used to playing a RTS with a pad: technically true but still ultimately futile

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, that's why I keep getting back to these games.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Rodyle posted:

arguing that you can get used to playing DS with k+m is like arguing you can get used to playing a RTS with a pad: technically true but still ultimately futile
It depends on what you want from the game, no? If you want to be top of the PvP chain, then I might agree with you that trying to git reel gud using KB+M might be a fool's errand, though I've heard of crazier things. Just finishing the game, maybe getting all achievements even? Hell, why not. For DS and for RTS'.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

Rodyle posted:

This is exactly what I mean by overstating how bad the controls are. It's not like playing an FPS with dual analogs or trying to play Binding of Isaac on a dance pad or something, the game doesn't demand a level of precision from you that requires specialized inputs, you just need enough buttons to bind every command and about one and a half hands to press them in a timely manner.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Nah, I used dsfix too, because otherwise you can't play in resolutions above 720p.

I thought they fixed it at some point? Because I'm pretty sure the game runs at 1080p for me. Or maybe I still have DSFix installed from a previous install. Which I doubt.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

You can have Dark Souls PC display at greater than 720p, but the game itself won't render at anything other than 720 without DSFix telling it to render at another resolution.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The "durability bug", with weapons taking twice as much durability damage for being at 60 FPS, is still in the game and has never been touched once by any patches. At this point, far more versions of the game have the rate at which it decays that the 30 FPS versions for the PS3 and 360 are the odd ones out, not the others.

The only thing they changed was durability tanking from hitting corpses and friendly phantoms. That's all they changed. You whip is still breaking in three hits.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm not even sure why weapon durability is in these games.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Speedball posted:

I'm not even sure why weapon durability is in these games.

I dunno, it's either a nuisance or completely irrelevant depending on the game. I've never really seen durability used in an interesting way in a game like these.

It's a different thing in, say, Dead Rising, where every weapon is just stuff you happen to pick up but it breaks rather quickly but if what you're using breaks there's probably something as good or at least interesting lying around for you to use. In Souls games and most other games that use Durability as a weapon stat it's a different story. In Souls especially, since you'll upgrade a weapon and stick with it. You can upgrade two or more weapons, sure, but that either means that your multiple weapons stay lower for longer, or only one of them will actually be worthwhile until you get a steady supply of upgrade materials.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
For a few months after launch, Valkyria Chronicles had much deadlier interception fire on PC because it ran at 60 FPS and it messed with the game logic somehow. Apparently people were sad to see it go because it actually improved balance. It would've been kind of cool if 60 FPS Dark Souls 2 suddenly turned into Shadow Tower but the game isn't really built for high weapon turnover rate.

• Locked thread