Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Skellybones posted:

I think it's randomised each time you load it.

When you think the program is being more clever than it actually is :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

open24hours posted:

A simple solution would be to order them from overseas individually rather than through the university bookshop.

I've tried this but they've had different editions and the end of chapter questions have been different to the ones bought in Australia.

If there's a good place to buy textbooks from overseas without that problem though I'd be interested to hear about it.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah I guess that relies on the publishers not intentionally making them different.

I was really fortunate at uni in that most of my books were cheap, and sometimes the lecturer would provide their own 'text book', which was just a bunch of papers bound into a book. I feel for people who have to buy multiple multi-hundred dollar books.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lol if your lecturers didn't tell you to buy the book they wrote, and release a new edition every year

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Kittens:

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

open24hours posted:

Yeah I guess that relies on the publishers not intentionally making them different.

I was really fortunate at uni in that most of my books were cheap, and sometimes the lecturer would provide their own 'text book', which was just a bunch of papers bound into a book. I feel for people who have to buy multiple multi-hundred dollar books.

I wish I was that lucky. My bill this semester was north of 500 dollarydoos for four books. Probably going to be the same next semester too.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

No real surprises

Edit: I lol'd at the other ones suggestion that I should move to Freo

BCR fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 9, 2016

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Solemn Sloth posted:

lol if your lecturers didn't tell you to buy the book they wrote, and release a new edition every year

my corporate finance lecturer did this, and sets tutorial questions out of it. he doesn't even write the questions on the tute sheets. just references the chapter and question number.

bourgeois scum.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

I'm very happy with my results, and not because they align with the Greens. Last election my results were pretty centrist, but I didn't know much about politics back then, and I think I've grown a lot in the meantime. This time I think my results more strongly reflect my actual values.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I haven't had to buy a textbook since my second year. All my readings are put up on line.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

MaliciousOnion posted:

I'm very happy with my results, and not because they align with the Greens. Last election my results were pretty centrist, but I didn't know much about politics back then, and I think I've grown a lot in the meantime. This time I think my results more strongly reflect my actual values.

GreenOnion

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Seems like this makes a Tory by the standards of this thread

BOAT SHOWBOAT fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 9, 2016

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Everyone affiliated with the australian labor party is complicit in child abuse

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

loving hell you must hate Di Natale if you think he's only 5% better than Blorp.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
i did the test and couldn't even change the answer via the page source

so imagine i photoshopped it to say which pony i was

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

The guillotine blade may be quite blunt by the time we get around to you.

This is quite a piece of work:

And the text:

So coloured language aside: this woman expressed hatred for the very people who would mercilessly kill her for not agreeing with them. I'm not finding myself convinced that she's the bad person here.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cartoon posted:

The guillotine blade may be quite blunt by the time we get around to you.

And the text:

So coloured language aside: this woman expressed hatred for the very people who would mercilessly kill her for not agreeing with them. I'm not finding myself convinced that she's the bad person here.

This is not a good hill to die on. Moral relativism is a bane.

Unrelated
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/05/09/philippines-has-just-elected-their-own-donald-trump-and-he-doesnt-australia-0

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I haven't had to buy a textbook since my second year. All my readings are put up on line.

I thought 95% of undergrads just pirated ebooks of their texts these days. I suppose if you're doing Esoteric Australian Law Subject 3302 where the only book is by the lecturer you might still be stuffed, but for anything generic paying is pretty optional.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cartoon posted:

Nutella, pizza and Nutella pizza are all good. Sign me up.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Cartoon posted:

Seriously?

Seems to be a bit of a trend in countries with high inequality. He's certainly going to make the already delicate situation in the South China Sea even more interesting.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Stay strong comrade, the trots will soon be driven to distraction by splits.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Birdstrike posted:

Stay strong comrade, the trots will soon be driven to distraction by splits.

Yeah you called it I'm a Labor member and work for a union.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

gay picnic defence posted:

Seriously?

Seems to be a bit of a trend in countries with high inequality. He's certainly going to make the already delicate situation in the South China Sea even more interesting.

"More interesting" isn't really what I was thinking of a person who runs death squads.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
John Oliver did a bit on Duterte.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tebans1dOYo

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

if this isn't your result, you'll be up against the wall when the revolution comes.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

This seems like it could be significant:

quote:

The Reserve Bank has expressed concern about negative gearing and the tax concession for capital gains, saying any change that discouraged negative gearing might be "a good thing" from a financial stability perspective.
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...509-gopt4v.html

Snod.
Oct 3, 2014

But changing negative gearing will impact our jobs and growth and stop the carp cull

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
the questionnaire isnt perfect because it was written by petit bourgeoisie scum at the ABC and university of melbourne .

so if you are actually ideologically pure, it will display your dot somewhere other than the very top left. a true leftist would probably score in the graph's hitler region.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
You hit far bottom right, didn't you

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I got put right slam in between the ALP and Greens. Looking through the actual responses, that was apparently because I reserved the 'strongly agree/disagree' choices for when it's an issue close enough to my heart that my response to reading the questions was something along the lines of 'gently caress yeah it should/gently caress no it shouldn't'.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I already explored this data, the Hitler Region is slightly left of LNP while cartoonish villainy is slightly more conservative.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic

gay picnic defence posted:

I've tried this but they've had different editions and the end of chapter questions have been different to the ones bought in Australia.

If there's a good place to buy textbooks from overseas without that problem though I'd be interested to hear about it.

The Book Depository had all of the textbooks I needed to buy (laboratory science, not sure about other areas), is generally cheaper than Australian retail prices, and offers free shipping. The main downside is that it can take a while for stuff to get to you, and orders aren't necessarily shipped out in a single package.

Booktopia is an Australian site and also had most of them, often but not always cheaper. Shipping for them is a flat $6.95 regardless of what you order, but if you're ordering textbooks then 7 bucks is pretty good considering how hefty they are, and stuff arrives pretty quickly.

Pretty much what I expected to get, although as people said some of the questions were dumb and/or stupidly worded. I'm not sure why they asked about my position on penalty rates by asking 'should people who work on Sunday get paid more than Saturday workers?'

Ten Becquerels fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 9, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ten Becquerels posted:

Pretty much what I expected to get, although as people said some of the questions were dumb and/or stupidly worded. I'm not sure why they asked about my position on penalty rates by asking 'should people who work on Sunday get paid more than Saturday workers?'

Because they've just had a review into whether they're biased to the left? :shrug:

Cleretic posted:

I got put right slam in between the ALP and Greens. Looking through the actual responses, that was apparently because I reserved the 'strongly agree/disagree' choices for when it's an issue close enough to my heart that my response to reading the questions was something along the lines of 'gently caress yeah it should/gently caress no it shouldn't'.

There's actually a bit later where you can weight your results on how much you care about them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Wow all you guys are as left as the Greens or More so colour me surprised.

Also Green

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Actually my economic views were right of the greens in between Greens and Labor.

Someone reserve me a place against the wall when the revolution comes.

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Get on my level.

Oh, hi me

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

hooman posted:

Actually my economic views were right of the greens in between Greens and Labor.

Someone reserve me a place against the wall when the revolution comes.

You would make a reservation wouldn't you? Bourgie scum.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You would make a reservation wouldn't you? Bourgie scum.

*weeping into pâté*

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
Who the gently caress uses hommus as a sauce?

• Locked thread