Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I hope nobody thinks this wasn't a serious question:

Renaissance Robot posted:

What was that one with the amoral dimension-hopping magic woman made of chocolate?

It was pretty good and I can't remember if it finished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I hope nobody thinks this wasn't a serious question:

It was pretty good and I can't remember if it finished.

I think this was Curvy? Your question made me go and check it out and apparently it's still running, though it's kinda tough to tell what the update pace is like since the comics aren't dated.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Yep, that's the ticket. Still as weird as ever I see.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Anyway, yeah, while I have a certain amount of dubiousness for horny dudes making comics with lesbians in them, my bar on that is pretty low. It's a sniff test kind of thing. I'd never say QC really fell into that category, and I'm basically fine with stuff like Girly or whatever too. It's only the ones where you can tell there's a certain low level disrespect for women running through them that give me the skeeves - and in my experience, those are really rare.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
What was that webcomic with a man with a TV for a head that wasn't Riceboy?

Edit: This has nothing to do with the current conversation, it just popped into my head.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

And, as mentioned, Band vs. Band is of course not even within one degree of that category.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

djw175 posted:

Edit: This has nothing to do with the current conversation, it just popped into my head.

Saga? But that's not a webcomic.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

djw175 posted:

Dead Leaves Property of Hate

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Dead Leaves Property of Hate

That's the one. Thanks

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

On an unrelated note, I'm chugging my way through Pastel Defender Heliotrope after someone linked it the other day, and it's a real experience.

Like, I'm charmed by the audacity of the ideas on display here. This is an artificial intelligence from a higher, decaying dimension who appears as a Pac Man ghost puppet with a bow on its head? For some reason in this panel it has a little waistcoat and a helmet too. What I'm saying is that the Kokoro Wish meme didn't prepare me for this level of complexity.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Android Blues posted:

On an unrelated note, I'm chugging my way through Pastel Defender Heliotrope after someone linked it the other day, and it's a real experience.

Like, I'm charmed by the audacity of the ideas on display here. This is an artificial intelligence from a higher, decaying dimension who appears as a Pac Man ghost puppet with a bow on its head? For some reason in this panel it has a little waistcoat and a helmet too. What I'm saying is that the Kokoro Wish meme didn't prepare me for this level of complexity.

I didn't see the clip where that quote happens on youtube, but it's quoting and dressed up as this guy. pop culture references all the way down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9BcY7w2HmE

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 8, 2016

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

majormonotone posted:

it's really easy to tell them apart though and band vs band doesn't fall into this category

like mocking dresden codak or I guess even QC for this makes sense but bringing it up in the context of something by a queer creator just seems bizarre

Other LGBT characters include Atomic Domme and Zero.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

I didn't see the clip where that quote happens on youtube, but it's quoting and dressed up as this guy. pop culture references all the way down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9BcY7w2HmE

Suddenly that page makes a lot more sense...

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Android Blues posted:

Anyway, yeah, while I have a certain amount of dubiousness for horny dudes making comics with lesbians in them, my bar on that is pretty low. It's a sniff test kind of thing. I'd never say QC really fell into that category, and I'm basically fine with stuff like Girly or whatever too. It's only the ones where you can tell there's a certain low level disrespect for women running through them that give me the skeeves - and in my experience, those are really rare.

I can't really complain about Girly too much, it helped me in a time where I was confused about that sort of thing and there wasn't much of an equivalent at the time.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I can't really complain about Girly too much, it helped me in a time where I was confused about that sort of thing and there wasn't much of an equivalent at the time.

That's how I feel about it, too. Like, sure it's a vaguely sexy comic about women loving on each other written by a man. But I definitely know there were a bunch of teen girls who read that stuff and were like, hey, yeah, I vibe on this. Even if the author of a comic with bi or gay women in it isn't one themselves, people who are or are questioning can still really benefit from seeing themselves reflected in something, so long as the work itself isn't real bad about the subject matter.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I think the line might be when it becomes painfully obvious that a writer (usually male) is doing it entirely for self-serving reasons vs just to tell a good, maybe sexy, story. You might see little flags going up like frequent objectification, where the reader is forced to focus on some part of the character's body even in circumstances that are contextually-inappropriate to emphasize sexual characteristics. Like random boob/butt shots when characters are talking about something completely irrelevant. This is in contrast to scenes where the character... the best word I can think of is "invites" it. Like when you're reading Chester XYV or Oglaf (:nws: for both of those, obviously) none of the female characters feel objectified even when they're actually loving. Today's Oglaf even has a full-frontal female nudity and it's entirely incidental to her killer dress. When you see a lot of shameless objectification it's hard not to assume that any lesbian relationships aren't also there primarily for the male writer's sexual fantasies. It can also come off as super disingenuous if the writer uses lesbian characters as a way to humblebrag on twitter or as leverage in internet arguments about feminism, as if writing a lesbian relationship gives some innately deep insight into the female psyche and same-sex experience that overwrites the male writer's own position of privilege.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Property Of Hate is probably my favorite webcomic that I've ever read and that's all I can say on it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

I think the line might be when it becomes painfully obvious that a writer (usually male) is doing it entirely for self-serving reasons vs just to tell a good, maybe sexy, story. You might see little flags going up like frequent objectification, where the reader is forced to focus on some part of the character's body even in circumstances that are contextually-inappropriate to emphasize sexual characteristics. Like random boob/butt shots when characters are talking about something completely irrelevant. This is in contrast to scenes where the character... the best word I can think of is "invites" it. Like when you're reading Chester XYV or Oglaf (:nws: for both of those, obviously) none of the female characters feel objectified even when they're actually loving. Today's Oglaf even has a full-frontal female nudity and it's entirely incidental to her killer dress. When you see a lot of shameless objectification it's hard not to assume that any lesbian relationships aren't also there primarily for the male writer's sexual fantasies. It can also come off as super disingenuous if the writer uses lesbian characters as a way to humblebrag on twitter or as leverage in internet arguments about feminism, as if writing a lesbian relationship gives some innately deep insight into the female psyche and same-sex experience that overwrites the male writer's own position of privilege.

Yeah, pretty much exactly. The key thing is that a story needs to respect the characters as characters first, and if they happen to do sexy things sometimes, sure, so long as they're written in a way that doesn't privilege that above them having a voice, autonomy, goals, motivations, etc. Like you say, framing is really important, and how the comic's "camera" treats the characters and their bodies speaks volumes.

Really complex subject. Interesting conversation though!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

KittyEmpress posted:

Property Of Hate is probably my favorite webcomic that I've ever read and that's all I can say on it.

It's exactly the kind of bold self-indulgence we need.

Only problem is that's it a bit too weird and complex with it's world. I'd have to reread it just to get my bearings. Maybe when it's finished?

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
Yeah I've had to reread it more than once. On the other hand it means I get to reread it more than once.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Android Blues posted:

I think this was Curvy? Your question made me go and check it out and apparently it's still running, though it's kinda tough to tell what the update pace is like since the comics aren't dated.

Once a week on Friday evenings, sometimes Saturday mornings if something goes wrong.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Someone linked Sword Interval and I've been reading it. Interesting. I like the art.

Fall is the Beast of the Apocalypse, right?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

the trend of sexy lesbian comics doesn't require some deep soul-searching unifying theory guys it's just funny, in the way that stuff trying and failing to grant profundity and social importance to the author's boners is always funny. it is okay to laugh.

The Lone Badger posted:

Someone linked Sword Interval and I've been reading it. Interesting. I like the art.

yeah definitely

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:25 on May 9, 2016

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
where are these sexy lesbian comics anyway. uh asking for a friend

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

fun hater posted:

where are these sexy lesbian comics anyway. uh asking for a friend

Moon Over June and Gunnerkrieg Court.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

mycot posted:

Moon Over June and Gunnerkrieg Court.

perhaps i could clarify: i said 'sexy' and did not mention children at all
e: actually if youre getting off on gunnerkrigg court you should probably put yourself on a watch list of some sort

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

fun hater posted:

perhaps i could clarify: i said 'sexy' and did not mention children at all
e: actually if youre getting off on gunnerkrigg court you should probably put yourself on a watch list of some sort

From the rate the thread was going, the Gunnerkrieg Court thread is probably 100% waifu chat by now, I'm sorry to say.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If you're getting off to Moon Over June you may be an eldritch abomination, please contact Arkham University for a checkup.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
eglamore would make a good waifu

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Tollymain posted:

eglamore would make a good waifu

Eglamore is the bomb but something about that thread (and other places discussing GC last time I checked) going "Sword Waifu! Bird Waifu! Fire Waifu!" really rubbed me the wrong way.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm reasonably sure at no point has the thread ever been like what you are describing (barring a few weird occasional outliers who don't post long)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mostly we just make the same tired Eglamore joke over and over and mock Chibisoma's breakdown.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

MikeJF posted:

Mostly we just make the same tired Eglamore joke over and over and mock Chibisoma's breakdown.

You're forgetting all the debates about proper parenting.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

MikeJF posted:

Surely Chibisoma thing must be tired by now, too? It happened five years ago and he hasn't posted in the SA thread since then.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Lone Badger posted:

Huh. How long has webtoons.com been hosting original English-language series?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nuns with Guns posted:

Surely Chibisoma thing must be tired by now, too? It happened five years ago and he hasn't posted in the SA thread since then.

it only gets referred to every few months at most it's not something that happens on every page :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the proliferation of ironic/semi-ironic/unironic "waifu" chat throughout the internet has destroyed discourse about media

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The moe personification of semi-ironic waifu chat is my waifu

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

the proliferation of ironic/semi-ironic/unironic "waifu" chat throughout the internet has destroyed discourse about media

I always take it as loser 4chan posters outing themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

as the cool guy who posts exclusively on Something Awful, the most popular internet comedy forum of 2005, I give 4chan posters noogies and titty twisters daily

• Locked thread