Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Mornacale posted:

When the ship arrives, a countdown starts (another one after the countdown for the ship to arrive). You have to be in the zone at the END of the countdown. Unless you've killed all the defenders, then going in it ever will end the match.

Ok, then he just had a fuckload of luck, cause he ran straight through the entire forest into the endzone without ever ever slowing down and ended it instantly when he stumbled into the square.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Ok, then he just had a fuckload of luck, cause he ran straight through the entire forest into the endzone without ever ever slowing down and ended it instantly when he stumbled into the square.

Yeah, it's the right strategy when you're attacking and can't win a fight, but it's hard to time properly. The games where you time out looking at the zone 50 meters away are killer.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Why do people have such a boner for manifold?
Its a lame boring deathmatch arena, yet its a sure bet once it shows up in the rotation...
It's one of the coolest maps due to being in space. The prolific ceilings also give you the best cover against LRM's while letting you shoot things. The ramps not being solid let you shoot under them for extra damage and some lights can even run through them.
Also the basement exists and gives you tactical options for flanking or a neato arena to brawl in when you come across the rare pubbie that actually knows it exists and wants to use it.

It is legit one of the best maps in any mode because :pgi: sucks at non-team deathmatch stuff so a match that promotes that is actually playing to their strengths.

The only map that's technically better than it (because it doesn't punish LRM's of all things and is therefor technically equal to everyone) is Tourmaline.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's one of the coolest maps due to being in space. The prolific ceilings also give you the best cover against LRM's while letting you shoot things. The ramps not being solid let you shoot under them for extra damage and some lights can even run through them.
Also the basement exists and gives you tactical options for flanking or a neato arena to brawl in when you come across the rare pubbie that actually knows it exists and wants to use it.

It is legit one of the best maps in any mode because :pgi: sucks at non-team deathmatch stuff so a match that promotes that is actually playing to their strengths.

The only map that's technically better than it (because it doesn't punish LRM's of all things and is therefor technically equal to everyone) is Tourmaline.

Yet it heavily favours brawls, its like polar highlands in reverse.
Tourmaline is the best map in the entire game imo, since it makes every build viable and useful.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I'd honestly say that Polar and Alpine are the only maps that actively discourage going into them with particular builds it's why they're loving trash. You can get away with pretty much any build type in all the other maps.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Yet it heavily favours brawls, its like polar highlands in reverse.
Tourmaline is the best map in the entire game imo, since it makes every build viable and useful.
I also really love brawling so that's why I tend to pick it whenever it comes up. Unless it comes up with Crimson. Then I have to flip a coin.

Alpine is better than Polar since it has decent hillage to provide for alternate paths/sneaking into range but it's still a really big map. At least they fixed the major problem with it for conquest matches by having points be miles apart :v:

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
We have some room doing Invasion maps if anyone is interested.

Also, HPG is actually a hottish map.

Loco179
May 18, 2008
Only if you sexually harass my robots!

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

TeeMerk posted:

We have some room doing Invasion maps if anyone is interested.

Also, HPG is actually a hottish map.

What? Ambient temp in HPG is -10C

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I think he's thinking of the CW map that looks like HPG. That one has a high ambient.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I squawk, I die, I squawk again like the Pheonix Squawk.

For posterity.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
Lots of good CW these past few days, I love CW events.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

I managed to finish the Invasion challenges. Got the Crab -000B

Any recommended loadouts for that thing?

Also tried GBs Love Hammer. loving brutal. One match involved two DWolves going solo on me, one after the other. Beat them both down with only a tiny bit of structure left. Can recommend, I do well in it despite being bad at robots.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Paingod556 posted:

I managed to finish the Invasion challenges. Got the Crab -000B

Any recommended loadouts for that thing?

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=240&l=cec1f1981960b1a5cccdac6499a7a214ad664aae

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

This build was exactly what I wanted a build linked by Commoners to be :allears:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Paingod556 posted:

Also tried GBs Love Hammer. loving brutal.

They always come back for more. :heysexy:

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
What's your average damage in the "Lovehammer"?
Just out of curiosity.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Reconfigured my direwolf from all-purpose to a more specific role,
namely Keeper of the Gates, since i wont be taking him on offense any more.

Will we ever get dropdeck templates?
Im kinda tired of frantically reshuffling my deck when offense turns into hold ground and scouting replaces the first pick in my lance-deck...

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 9, 2016

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

A.o.D. posted:

What? Ambient temp in HPG is -10C

If there's no atmosphere, where is the heat from the mechs going? Checkmate mechfailures.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

My man

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nurge posted:

If there's no atmosphere, where is the heat from the mechs going? Checkmate mechfailures.

On the other hand it's probably for the better that they don't realistically model thermodynamics in a vacuum.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Dear lord the black knight looks mean

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Nurge posted:

Into the big insulating air-pockets inside the giant, hollow BattleMechs mostly. There's a reason why `Mechs stop working when their armor is breached in a vacuum.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Stringbean posted:

What's your average damage in the "Lovehammer"?
Just out of curiosity.

I've been doing 700-900 in it unless I get too aggressive in it.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

armchairyoda posted:

It's the MOST opsec of things, and you're a jerk that can't get PM's. What's your name in-game? One of us nerds here will pop you an invite/send you the deets.

If you still have a Cent/Atlas, you'll be just fine.

Ingame is Forums Terrorist

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

PoptartsNinja posted:

Into the big insulating air-pockets inside the giant, hollow BattleMechs mostly. There's a reason why `Mechs stop working when their armor is breached in a vacuum.

I know we should avoid dragging real physics into mech discussions, but an actual reasonable answer would be "through their feet into the ground/structure/whatever" since air would fail as a heatsink pretty quick.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I have some suggested robots for CW, most builds from metamechs:

LIGHTS (MEDIUM/LONG RANGE):

RVN-2X
Good quirks for LL make this a nice mid-range poker

RVN-4X
ER Larges on this one. Quirks make it better offensively than the ...

RVN-3L
Still a decent robot, ECM in CW makes it very useful!

SDR-5K
The Spider's back, baby! This plays like the LPL Locust except it has JJs and can take a hit, and has critseeking MGs

LCT-1V
ER large version. Can be your first drop and do work on defense

LCT-1V
Large pulse version. Riskier because you have to get closer

LIGHTS (SHORT RANGE)
OXIDE
Straight-up the best light right now. This should be a late-round drop -- a healthy Oxide can utterly wreck a wounded wave. Has an expiration date because of the ammo.

FS9-S
Less dominant than the Oxide, but more staying power and better hitboxes (and JJs)

HUGINN
Again, not as good as the Oxide, but the JJs are a blessing

MEDIUMS (MEDIUM/LONG RANGE)
BJ-1
An AC/2 dakkaboat and interesting option on very hot maps. Really irritates enemies

BJ-1X
Standard build for this, works just about anywhere

BJ-3
Same for this. JJs allow you to get up high and poke from above

BJ-3
Defensive poptart with PPCs

BJ-3
Oh Snapple!'s ERPPC version

ENF-4R
Shield with your right side!

TBT-5J
If you've got a Trebuchet, this is the good one

WVR-6K
Wubs, a bit low mounted but still powerful. Shield with your left side and keep the godhand pristine

WVR-6K
Same as above, but with LL over LPL for range

SHD-2K
Not the best quirks, but three high-mounted ERLL are no joke

MEDIUMS (SHORT RANGE)
GRF-3M
Edit this build to your liking if you want less speed with mediums or flamers, or less speed with STD survivability

GRF-2N
Same with this -- the ECM is a big help on a push

SHD-2D2
Brutal alpha strike, a bit worrisome with the ammo though

HBK-4SP
Do you like forcing the enemy team to take way, wayy too long to kill you? This is your robot

ARROW
ZenVulgarity's preferred cleanup mech uses six MGs to wreck exposed components

HEAVIES (MEDIUM/LONG RANGE)
QKD-5K
Can also use ER Larges if you wanna be all snipey

JM6-S
Entirely possible to downgrade the engine on this to fit more gauss ammo. 30 points of pinpoint damage is no joke!

TOP DOG
Nerfed a bit, but still viable

TDR-9S
Same, although you can also drop the mediums and engine and strap on one more ERPPC

TDR-9SE
Powerful in most situations with good quirks. Shield that left side!

GHR-5P
Toasty but 5 ERLL on a hill can make sure the clans have basically nowhere to hide

HEAVIES (SHORT RANGE)
BL-6-KNT
Top heavy right now, short range because of low mounts. 12 of these ...

BL-7-KNT-L
... or 12 of these are unstoppable in a wave. Can remove a LPL on both to fit a STD, but the robot is p. XL-safe

You can also do a near-identical build on the Grasshopper, but it'll be squishier

ASSAULTS (MEDIUM/LONG RANGE)
BNC-3M
The Wubshee. Utterly brutal mid-range poker. Not super-viable on Vitric or Sulfurous

BLR-2C
The Wubmaster. See above. VERY tanky.

BLR-1G
ER-Large boat. You can also do this with the -2C, a standard engine, and one fewer ERLL. ER large boats like this can easily outtrade the clans at range

STK-4N
This build will basically never go out of style, even if it isn't what it once was

STK-3H
More sustained DPS than the five or six ERLL versions

MAL-MX90
Absolutely brutal on hot maps. Ballistic velocity boost means it can trade at long range very well.

ASSAULTS : SHORT RANGE
AS7-S
Angry dad

AS7-D-DC
Ghost dad

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 9, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
BTW the CW event got extended by a week

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

That's smart of them, it's a hard one to do

Also CW with a lot of people doing it that aren't just MS is fun

BTW Patton the BJ-Arrow with 6 MGs and 2 LPLs is pound for pound one of the most brutal cleanup mechs I've played, really good mech after an initial push to rip apart damaged mechs. I wouldn't say i'ts end all be all but those 6 MGs hurt a lot

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
added!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I regret picking up the Thunderbolt SE. The playstyle doesn't click with me at all. Finally can get my Top Dog and Wubmaster Tbolt elited out though!

I also think there should be a Commoners build list.

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 9, 2016

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I am glad I did not try to power my way towards 15 invasion victories yesterday. Or else I would be crying now.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

ZenVulgarity posted:

I regret picking up the Thunderbolt SE. The playstyle doesn't click with me at all. Finally can get my Top Dog and Wubmaster Tbolt elited out though!

I also think there should be a Commoners build list.

I feel you here. I got it as part of the heavy pack and I just don't get it at all.

Trying to decide whether to keep going with 2 other bolts or move onto black Knights.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

tarbrush posted:

I feel you here. I got it as part of the heavy pack and I just don't get it at all.

Trying to decide whether to keep going with 2 other bolts or move onto black Knights.

The black knights are nasty fuckers

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I also want to add the ER PPC BJ-3 as a possibility here.

It's going to run a little hotter than the regular PPC Blackjack, obviously, but I feel it's a good tradeoff for the greatly increased range (particularly against clans) and even survivability. Cheetahs and Shadowcats love to jumpjet over to you and get in your grill while you're popping folks with this mech, and being able to smack them right in the face with a couple of lightning bolts shouldn't be underestimated - we had a game on Vitric Forge this weekend where if I'd been running regular PPCs on this thing, I've have gotten my poo poo pushed in by a Cheetah that got onto my position by jumping up from outside the gates. Instead of dying off on the first wave, I drove off one Cheetah then killed another while being an annoying little bastard for 3 straight waves.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 9, 2016

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Oh Snapple! posted:

I also want to add the ER PPC BJ-3 as a possibility here.

It's going to run a little hotter than the regular PPC Blackjack, obviously, but I feel it's a good tradeoff for the greatly increased range (particularly against clans) and even survivability. Cheetahs and Shadowcats love to jumpjet over to you and get in your grill while you're popping folks with this mech, and being able to smack them right in the face with a couple of lightning bolts shouldn't be underestimated - we had a game on Vitric Forge this weekend where if I'd been running regular PPCs on this thing, I've have gotten my poo poo pushed in by a Cheetah that got onto my position by jumping up from outside the gates. Instead of dying off on the first wave, I drove off one Cheetah then killed another while being an annoying little bastard for 3 straight waves.

Added!

In general I think you can run a bit hotter in CW than in normal queue, because the chances of your getting overrun are much lesser due to the map size/fact that you can literally put your back to a wall

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Great Beer posted:

The lovehammer. 5x MPL, 2x LPL, XL340, 19 dhs

e; Trip report: loving brutal.

I use an almost identical build except with a STD280 and it's really really loving good

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010

Bolow posted:

I use an almost identical build except with a STD280 and it's really really loving good

Ditto, you may be slower but you can stick it out longer in a brawl.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Commoners that Boomjack of yours is incredible. Ghost heat ruins it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Great Beer posted:

Ghost heat everything.

FTFY

• Locked thread