Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Next Shadowrun expansion sounding.....ok actually.

You'll be able to clear up kilobytes of your cyberdeck by deleting all those pesky recipes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

give them money.

I'm not a lawyer but it seems like if Oculus paid out backers like they were investors, then they'd be considered investors and Oculus would have violated a bunch of guidelines about private equity like making sure everyone who backed them was an accredited investor.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

I'm not a lawyer but it seems like if Oculus paid out backers like they were investors, then they'd be considered investors and Oculus would have violated a bunch of guidelines about private equity like making sure everyone who backed them was an accredited investor.
But they made more money from Facebook so ... and therefore they should give backers money.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

You can give people money for free if you want. It's not an investment unless that money was promised in the original exchange.

TetsuoTW posted:

But they made more money from Facebook so ... and therefore they should give backers money.

If someone gave me a personal loan to start a company that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to make, and a few years later it was worth a thousand times that much, I'd be willing to spend 2% of that on a pile of 'thank you' money. It's not an obligation, but you should be able to figure out why people support such a thing, and not snipe at them as if they've lost all sense of reason.

Not to complain about the gift they did give out of retail versions. That was quite nice of them.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm pretty sure the SEC wouldn't buy your totally not an investment but you give them money and they give you money back later deal.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Businesses don't care about you. I can't believe this point needs to be made to what I assume are adults.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

Businesses don't care about you. I can't believe this point needs to be made to what I assume are adults.

i'd argue it's less about expecting a business to be generous and more about expecting them to see the financial value of keeping customers/potential customers happy.

i'd also argue that expecting a return on investment from a service that is designed for donations and sometimes preorders is really drat stupid.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Guy Mann posted:

The entire recent VR movement was spearheaded by a guy who thinks minimum wage should be abolished, you throw your money in with silicon valley libertarian assholes and you get what you deserve.

Palmer is from Long Beach, John is from Texas (and still lives there). Bad politics know no geographical bounds.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure the SEC wouldn't buy your totally not an investment but you give them money and they give you money back later deal.

Agreed, I said making it a deal would be an investment.

TetsuoTW posted:

You're confusing wishes with delusions. I can want a business to care about something, while also knowing that a typical business cares about absolutely nothing.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'd also argue that expecting a return on investment from a service that is designed for donations and sometimes preorders is really drat stupid.

I'm guessing that the difference here is that Kickstarter was initially designed to help fledgling businesses/companies get off the ground so they can then grow and continue to stay in business but in this case the owners chose not to stay in business but just sold the whole thing to a larger company and walked off with millions of bucks in their pockets.
If I'd been one of the KS backers I would have just shrugged and said "Shine on you crazy diamonds, I would have done the exact same thing!" but apparently people are getting angry that these guys made a huge profit off the back of their 'generosity' and didn't share the bounty with their supporters

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i just back kickstarters for more little wargame dolls and rpg books from proven publishers. it's niche enough i'll never have to see the guys get bought out for quadrillions and think about what my equity would have been if it had been a stock offering instead of a preorder of plastic orcs and poo poo

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Athletic Footjob posted:

"This expired DRM food gave me the Shadowruns."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Athletic Footjob posted:

"This expired DRM food gave me the Shadowruns."

:haw:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If I'd been one of the KS backers I would have just shrugged and said "Shine on you crazy diamonds, I would have done the exact same thing!" but apparently people are getting angry that these guys made a huge profit off the back of their 'generosity' and didn't share the bounty with their supporters
"Start up -> Become a known brand -> Sell the company for $$$" is how pretty much all small tech businesses work, I'm not sure why people are surprised or upset about this.

I backed the Oculus kickstarter (unfortunately not at the level to actually get one) but I'm not upset about them being sold. Good on them. I'm a little bit worried that Facebook is going to "social media ready" the product into the ground, but :shrug:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

"Start up -> Become a known brand -> Sell the company for $$$" is how pretty much all small tech businesses work, I'm not sure why people are surprised or upset about this.
Because a lot of nerds confuse consumption habits with identity and believe both "I bought your poo poo, now you have to listen to me" and "the customer is always right."

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
I hope that the tortilla maker refuses to use pods that are even one day past expiration, "to ensure safety and the highest level of quality."

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

^^^ I honestly thought the GIF of that thing was from a comedy skit or something when I first saw it. A machine the size of an espresso maker that makes one sad little corn tortilla per disposable pod.

Humboldt Squid has a new favorite as of 12:59 on May 9, 2016

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Humboldt Squid posted:

^^^ I honestly thought the GIF of that thing was from a comedy skit or something when I first saw it. A machine the size of an espresso maker that makes one sad little corn tortilla per disposable pod.

An EZ Bake Oven has more functionality than that

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

How are you even supposed to make anything with a tortilla that small?

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE
Liebot, what is the saddest thing?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That gif would make for a good GBS photoshop thread.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Imagine you are feeding 4 people and need to make 12 pods. What pod are you on before you realize you just wasted $250?

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Germstore posted:

Imagine you are feeding 4 people and need to make 12 pods. What pod are you on before you realize you just wasted $250?

i don't know about you but i'd be looking at roughly my third miserable little tortilla coming out of that thing before i seriously regretted it

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised Kickstarter even allows food products to be sold. The probability for contamination from a company that has no regulated oversight seems pretty high.

Also, anyone know the cost of a single tortilla pod?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

BattleMaster posted:

How are you even supposed to make anything with a tortilla that small?
It may be small, but it's thicker than normal tortillas, which is beneficial to the end user because

Madcosby posted:

I'm surprised Kickstarter even allows food products to be sold. The probability for contamination from a company that has no regulated oversight seems pretty high.

Also, anyone know the cost of a single tortilla pod?
I remember seeing a retail price quoted of like 79 cents per pod?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

That gif would make for a good GBS photoshop thread.

It's pretty much designed from the ground up to be a moose milkie gif.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Zereth posted:

It may be small, but it's thicker than normal tortillas, which is beneficial to the end user because

yup, just found it

quote:

To achieve this level of quality, we anticipate that each pod will retail for $0.79 per pod. However, we are always working on new ways to make the dough pod more affordable without compromising our quality standards, and your support on Kickstarter will help us with that.

Also found it takes 90 seconds to make a tortilla with their machine

The kickstarter goes from "seconds to have a wonderful tortilla" to "a great tortilla in less than a minte!" to "about 90 seconds"

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
for the record, it takes about 2 minutes to make a tortilla at home on the stove (minus the time to mix dough and let it rest)

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I missed this earlier:

quote:

How long does it take to make each tortilla?

The cooking time depends on the crispiness you like. We are expecting the standard process time to take less than 90 seconds per tortilla. Much less than the time to cook them using traditional methods, and that doesn’t even take into consideration the amount of time you save by not preparing, kneading, and mixing the dough.

Holy poo poo. Assuming everyone eats 3 tortillas each it's almost 5 minutes per person. You'd literally break even making the tortillas by hand at 3 or 4 people, and you'd be having fun cooking instead of baby sitting your retard tortilla bot.

e: beaten.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And on a stove you can easily parallelize the task by using more pans, assuming you have a regular stove with 3-4 hot zones.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The fact that the tortilla pod machine raised $500,000 means the next wave of copy-cat kickstarters will be pod devices that take up counter space. Without irony, I expect the following:

a pancake pod machine
a waffle pod machine - note, does not make pancakes

the big winners will be the ~~**ArtiZal**~~ pizza pod machine and the cupcake pod machine. Cupcakes and kickstarter go hand in hand. And you get to sell icing pods! Someone make me a little ukelele jingle and hand me a thesaurus open to synonyms for organic because I'm about to scam some folk

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The success of K-cups meant that it was only a matter of time before people started making pod systems for increasingly-stupid and impractical poo poo

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Madcosby posted:

for the record, it takes about 2 minutes to make a tortilla at home on the stove (minus the time to mix dough and let it rest)

but is that tortilla twice as thick as normal? I hear that's good because of reasons

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

*looks at counter covered with single use machines* Should I use the tortilla machine or the pita machine or the naan machine tonight? I'm feeling naan. *sticks pita pod in naan machine, machine flashes error* Thank god for DRM!

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Madcosby posted:

But aren't stores already selling tortilla shells anyway? As far as I can tell they're DRM free, are compatible with my stove and don't cost $.79 a piece.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

store bought tortillas suck really really bad.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

i'd argue it's less about expecting a business to be generous and more about expecting them to see the financial value of keeping customers/potential customers happy.

Which is why they followed through on the "if you backed for $300 or above, you get both the initial devkit and a retail product".

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zereth posted:

$0.79 cents per tortilla? I can go buy a pack of 30 of them for almost the same amount. Jesus.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Humboldt Squid posted:

And then I was like "flatev" :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wonder if they had meetings about what ethnicity the demonstration lady should be.