Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Aphrodite posted:

Although that's the wrong Howard Stark actor there.

It's also the only Stark face that Cap knew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ignite Memories posted:

I did show them a couple clips from Age of Ultron before we went to the movie because I figured the Vision would probably make the least sense out of any of the heroes.

To be fair, AoU criminally underused Paul Bettany and the Vision in general (another thing that Civil War did infinitely better).

God I'm most impressed how this movie juggled a huge loving cast and introduced two brand new characters while making them all feel valid and essential. BP and Spider-Man most notably, obviously, but Ant-Man's still a glorified cameo that gets his time in the sun, the Vision feels actually extant besides "plot device with a synthetic pulse" from Ultron, and Black Widow feels useful without being pandering sexist nonsense (As she was in, say, Ultron).

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 9, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Toxxupation posted:

I'm still not sure why Iron Man and Cap fought in Ultron besides "this is what you'll be seeing more of in Civil War"
They fight in Ultron because Tony accidentally created a murderous robot by messing around with technology which he didn't understand, and then tries to do it again.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ignite Memories posted:

Hell, I watched both Thor movies and I STILL think Thor's vision cave was confusing and dumb.

It's supposed to be the well of Mimir from norse mythology, so it's a cool little nod in that sense but I have no idea why they never explain what it is.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gotta hit a certain QPM (quips per minute).

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

Although that's the wrong Howard Stark actor there.

It's not uncommon to use a younger photo of someone in an obituary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I really like Natasha's fighting style in the movies, utterly brutal and based around the fact that she's generally smaller than most of her opponents. Who ever does her stunt work is really good too, very fast and violent.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

Age of Ultron is virtually incomprehensible without context, and even with it it's a discombobulated mess of trailers for other movies and elements of every hero's individual themes and ideas, despite most of them not working in the greater context of the film in which it exists. Remember how Thor just fuckin' leaves the story for a hot minute to get all gothy in a cave? Unless you watch the Thor movies you'd have no loving clue why or how he does all that stuff, and the Civil War trailers in Ultron are really awkwardly placed in the film. That Tony/Cap convo on the farm is great, and one of the best parts of an overall bad film, but it makes zero sense in greater context. I'm still not sure why Iron Man and Cap fought in Ultron besides "this is what you'll be seeing more of in Civil War", it just happens and then Vision immediately breaks it up. It's so, so so dumb.

And Bucky's pretty obvious in CW, a guy framed for a crime he didn't commit that also has weird PTSD brain control from Evil Soviets. I mean, sure, you don't get why Steve's so committed to saving Bucky, I guess, but that's kinda it. And really, the only context you need for why Steve's so intent on saving Bucky is "he's a hero, Bucky is innocent, heroes help out the innocent".

I went with people that never watched any of the other movies except maybe the first Avengers, and they seemed to go along with it and like the movie, even without knowing who the hell Bucky was.

BTW I watched it in a theater in Astoria, Queens, and that moment between Spider-man and Captain America mentioning where they came from went over like gangbusters. The only time the same typical loud assholes actually added to a movie.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 15:39 on May 9, 2016

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
You know the amazing thing about Stark hitting on Aunt May and talking about how young she is? Well, 2 amazing things. 1: Marisa Tomei is more than twice Holland's age, so yes, of course she could be his aunt and 2: She's the EXACT same age as RDJ, so we have a Hollywood tentpole movie where a middle-aged dude is showing interest in a woman his own age, and not half that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

zoux posted:

I really like Natasha's fighting style in the movies, utterly brutal and based around the fact that she's generally smaller than most of her opponents. Who ever does her stunt work is really good too, very fast and violent.

The lady that does her stunt work had a cameo in the film. As the female Winter Soldier. Same with Cap's and Falcon's doubles. In fact Cap's double is named Josef which is undoubtedly a little nod to Red Guardian the Soviet Super Soldier from the comics.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Gaz-L posted:

You know the amazing thing about Stark hitting on Aunt May and talking about how young she is? Well, 2 amazing things. 1: Marisa Tomei is more than twice Holland's age, so yes, of course she could be his aunt and 2: She's the EXACT same age as RDJ, so we have a Hollywood tentpole movie where a middle-aged dude is showing interest in a woman his own age, and not half that.

If this was 1996 they would be a RomCom together.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

X-O posted:

The lady that does her stunt work had a cameo in the film. As the female Winter Soldier. Same with Cap's and Falcon's doubles. In fact Cap's double is named Josef which is undoubtedly a little nod to Red Guardian the Soviet Super Soldier from the comics.

That was a rad scene.

It's kind of ridiculous how cool Sebastian Stan looks as Bucky in full WS mode.

I'm pretty much over this common critique of the MCU that film crit people use, that the films aren't self-contained and "don't end". They're trying to do something different, make serialized movies in the comic book mode, and many film people just can't get over it. This whole movie shows the strengths of the Marvel approach to story telling and world building and just because there's a 30 second coda that plans the sequel doesn't mean the film doesn't have an arc.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

twistedmentat posted:

I think I'm getting whooshed here, I can't be sure. They were in a rom com together in 1994, and I'm pretty sure they dated for a bit.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

twistedmentat posted:

They already did that in 1994
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110737/

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I completely didn't recognise her and couldn't believe it when I saw mention later on of it having been Marisa Tomei.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I'm happy someone realized that maybe it's a bit unlikely for a 16 year old kid to have a 70 year old aunt. Hell my oldest aunt is just hitting 60 next year and I'm way past 16.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At the same time mid-30s Sharon has a 100 year old aunt.

Edit: Actually Emily VanCamp is only 29.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

At the same time mid-30s Sharon has a 100 year old aunt.

I'm assuming she was supposed to be Sharon's great-aunt, and she just shortened it to Aunt Peggy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

I'm happy someone realized that maybe it's a bit unlikely for a 16 year old kid to have a 70 year old aunt. Hell my oldest aunt is just hitting 60 next year and I'm way past 16.

My youngest cousin (14) has a 60 year old aunt (my mom). Sometimes families are weird like that, especially larger ones, though I realize that's not the case for Spider-Man.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
Since we're on actor chat at the moment, does anyone know who plays the woman in T'Challa's entourage? The one who has him going all :grin: while she confronts Black Widow in the parking garage.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
That would be Florence Kasumba. She's more prolific in Germany, apparently (because she is German :downs:).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Endless Mike posted:

My youngest cousin (14) has a 60 year old aunt (my mom). Sometimes families are weird like that, especially larger ones, though I realize that's not the case for Spider-Man.

That's why I said unlikely and not impossible. One of my friends is actually only a year younger than his uncle due to a similar situation, but that's far from the norm I'd imagine. For the average person I'd imagine they'd have aunts and uncles 20-30 years older. Marisa Tomei looks quite a bit younger than her age of 51 so that would be about in that range.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

I'm assuming she was supposed to be Sharon's great-aunt, and she just shortened it to Aunt Peggy.

Probably. If my great aunt founded SHIELD and knew Captain America we'd probably be a lot closer.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Since we're on actor chat at the moment, does anyone know who plays the woman in T'Challa's entourage? The one who has him going all :grin: while she confronts Black Widow in the parking garage.

Was that supposed to be a character from the comics? She got surprising emphasis so I wondered if I was supposed to know who the character was.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I'm just curious why Sharon's name is also Carter. I thought Peggy only had one brother, who died childless. Did Sharon's dad just happen to also be a Carter? Did Sharon choose to go by Carter out of respect for her awesome great-aunt?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Was that supposed to be a character from the comics? She got surprising emphasis so I wondered if I was supposed to know who the character was.

Not anyone specific, but Black Panther has female bodyguards called Dora Milaje.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Phylodox posted:

I'm just curious why Sharon's name is also Carter. I thought Peggy only had one brother, who died childless. Did Sharon's dad just happen to also be a Carter? Did Sharon choose to go by Carter out of respect for her awesome great-aunt?

Peggy would never take a man's name.

Also, in Winter Soldier she ends up married with kids. So she is probably great-aunt Peggy and one of her kids kept the name.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 9, 2016

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

If they were her kids or grandkids then she wouldn't be Aunt Peggy.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

"Aunt" is a familial term that's often used as a term of affection despite it not being literally true, like "Uncle".

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

twistedmentat posted:

I'm going to be surprised if there's not an element of that in Homecoming, given that Pepper broke up with Tony between Ultron and Civil War and Paltrow has said she's iffy about playing the character again.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Phylodox posted:

I thought Peggy only had one brother, who died childless.
We don't know if he died childless or not. Being older than Peggy, it's actually quite possible he was married by the time of the war.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

"Aunt" is a familial term that's often used as a term of affection despite it not being literally true, like "Uncle".

Sure, but they have the same last name

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

I'm going to be surprised if there's not an element of that in Homecoming, given that Pepper broke up with Tony between Ultron and Civil War and Paltrow has said she's iffy about playing the character again.

I would deeply love it for "Tony Stark is dating Aunt May" to be canon.

And also for the comics to be stuck with it also. Not actually change anything, just Tony Stark dating the Cryptkeeper. He uses StarkTech(tm) to deage her 150 years at some point though for brand synergy, and then proceeds to remind Spider-Man at every single occasion that he is dating his Hot Aunt.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Tony dating May makes Golden Oldie a possibility.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ImpAtom posted:

And also for the comics to be stuck with it also. Not actually change anything, just Tony Stark dating the Cryptkeeper. He uses StarkTech(tm) to deage her 150 years at some point though for brand synergy, and then proceeds to remind Spider-Man at every single occasion that he is dating his Hot Aunt.

Wait, isn't Tony literally dating Mary Jane Watson in the comics now.

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

Dexo posted:

Wait, isn't Tony literally dating Mary Jane Watson in the comics now.

No, she's just working for him. So far.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Gaz-L posted:

Ha, I always assumed that was the case with Aunt May.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

If Homecoming follows up on the mentor/student relationship Civil War hinted at for Tony and Peter, I'd genuinely be rooting for it.

Paltrow herself has said she's iffy about playing Pepper again - she doesn't want Pepper to be relegated to just a supporting love interest and wants a more active, action-oriented role for her if Paltrow is to come back. In the absence of an Iron Man 4 movie, I can't see that happening.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nah, the comics have always shown Richard (Peter's father) and Ben were brothers. Ben is usually quite a bit older than Richard.

Aunt May is actually not related to Peter by blood at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Canonically speaking Aunt May's Peter Parker's mom, not his aunt.

Aphrodite posted:

Aunt May is actually not related to Peter by blood at all.

:getin:

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 17:33 on May 9, 2016

• Locked thread