Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
I wish an anti-virus would quarantine posts in this thread :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Y'all are just arguing Symantecs.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

As long as it doesn't interfere with my coupon toolbars I'm open to installing new stuff.

I might be happier with Mcafee if it would at least target the loving Ask Toolbar and Coupon Printer.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Wilford Cutlery posted:

:yayclod:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wilford Cutlery posted:

:vince:

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Wilford Cutlery posted:

:thurman:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

skooma512 posted:

I might be happier with Mcafee if it would at least target the loving Ask Toolbar and Coupon Printer.

IIRC Windows Defender will target the Ask toolbar

Wilford Cutlery posted:

:mmmhmm:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Wilford Cutlery posted:

BOOM. When you need a derail ended quick, Wilford's your guy.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Ozz81 posted:

BOOM. When you need a derail ended quick, Wilford's your guy.

Seriously though what HIPS should I be using in an environment with PCI compliance concerns?

Just kidding idgaf.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Marshall Louis posted:

Seriously though what HIPS should I be using in an environment with PCI compliance concerns?

Ones that just won't quit.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

RFC2324 posted:

Ones that just won't quit.

I'm more concerned with how truthful they are.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Got a ticket from a user that says they can print only sometimes. Usually it errors out telling them 8.5x11 isn't available. We use metric paper sizes here, though, and it would still error out with that same message if the user forced it to A4 in the printer settings. In rare cases if the stars and moon were aligned properly the print job would actually succeed.

This machine is one of the rare ones at my organization that's actually in English, and so I thought maybe the printer driver being US English might have been the problem. So I installed the Japanese driver instead, but still had the same problem.

At that point, even though I think it to be unlikely, I decide it must be Windows, itself, messing things up. Lo' and behold, after some Googling I discovered that Windows has a hidden paper size setting that's determined by the language/region. Changing it from English(US) to English(Canada) fixed the issue.

There really should be a paper size override setting in the Region/Language panel, but there is none even in Windows 10. On top of that the stupid Fuji Xerox driver probably should be honoring the user's chosen paper size settings.

Printers are terrible. Everything about them is terrible.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 9, 2016

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does it say "PC LOAD LETTER" ? :D

mewse
May 2, 2006

What the gently caress does that mean?

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

ErIog posted:

Got a ticket from a user that says they can print only sometimes. Usually it errors out telling them 8.5x11 isn't available. We use metric paper sizes here, though, and it would still error out with that same message if the user forced it to A4 in the printer settings. In rare cases if the stars and moon were aligned properly the print job would actually succeed.

This machine is one of the rare ones at my organization that's actually in English, and so I thought maybe the printer driver being US English might have been the problem. So I installed the Japanese driver instead, but still had the same problem.

After 2 seconds of Googling I discovered that Windows has a hidden paper size setting that's determined by the language/region. Changing it from English(US) to English(Canada) fixed the issue.

There really should be a paper size override setting in the Region/Language panel, but there is none even in Windows 10. On top of that the stupid Fuji Xerox driver probably should be honoring the user's chosen paper size settings.

Printers are terrible. Everything about them is terrible.

Thanks for posting this. The day is coming when this will gently caress with me...since my wife insisted on getting a Japanese printer even though our English ones can use A4.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

ErIog posted:

Got a ticket from a user that says they can print only sometimes. Usually it errors out telling them 8.5x11 isn't available. We use metric paper sizes here, though...

Wait a sec, is this company in the US or outside of the US?

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

mewse posted:

What the gently caress does that mean?

Letter is an American paper size. If you are trying to print on A4 / other hp printers (esp Laserjet III) will give you PC Load Letter as a helpful clue that you need to change the paper size in the document you are working on. In other words a totally obscure message to confuse users.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

seadweller posted:

Letter is an American paper size. If you are trying to print on A4 / other hp printers (esp Laserjet III) will give you PC Load Letter as a helpful clue that you need to change the paper size in the document you are working on. In other words a totally obscure message to confuse users.

Looks like somebody's got a case of the mondays

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

spog posted:

Please don't jump to conclusions.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

seadweller posted:

PC = Paper Cassette = that drawer you pull out to put paper in.

It's literally telling you to load Letter sized paper in that drawer that you put paper in to print the document. It might as equally say PC LOAD LEGAL or PC LOAD A4 depending on what paper is currently in the drawer or if it's empty.

I've never understood why it's considered confusing. Yes I know, that's me, the humorless robot. Beep bop.

And yes, I've seen Office Space. That joke felt flat to me then, too.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

flosofl posted:

It's literally telling you to load Letter sized paper in that drawer that you put paper in to print the document. It might as equally say PC LOAD LEGAL or PC LOAD A4 depending on what paper is currently in the drawer or if it's empty.

I've never understood why it's considered confusing. Yes I know, that's me, the humorless robot. Beep bop.

Can you appreciate that PC is also commonly used to reference a desktop computer, and Letter is commonly used to reference something sent through the mail, so having both used in a context that is ambiguous (since PCs are connected to the printer and the print job may in fact be a letter) is amusing?

Because if not, gently caress you.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

flosofl posted:

COMPUTER JANITOR BOT 1.0 HUMOR MODULE MISSING BEEP BBOP

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Can you appreciate that PC is also commonly used to reference a desktop computer, and Letter is commonly used to reference something sent through the mail, so having both used in a context that is ambiguous (since PCs are connected to the printer and the print job may in fact be a letter) is amusing?

Because if not, gently caress you.

:razz:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Yeah when I see 'PC' I don't think paper cartridges. Even then, those two words make me think of the paper wrapped gunpowder/ball things soldiers used in the Civil War, not of a computer part.

Good job killing the joke, at least

E: Oh he said cassette, not cartridge.

That's even less obvious.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Normal people call it a paper tray.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've never heard anybody call it a paper cassette, in fact I doubt even the manual (which nobody in any office has read) calls it that

Like the same UI that says "PC LOAD LETTER" will also say "TRAY 4"

If printer manufacturers cared in the slightest about not being seen as the inheritors of the 70s-era "inscrutable stereo instructions" mantle, they could have just had the display say "OUT OF PAPER"

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I always thought PC in that context was shorthand for Please, since those displays only have 16 characters. :shobon:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
LDNG PPR IS EC PC

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

flosofl posted:

:goonsay:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

lp0 on fire!

mewse
May 2, 2006

spog posted:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

RFC2324 posted:

lp0 on fire!

This would be great.

Also had a ticket come in internally asking about a mailbox that was removed from Exchange. Apparently the user is still in AD so the guy was just wondering what was going on there. I haven't looked at it yet, but that wasn't how I thought that worked. Nothing pressing more just two of us now going "wtf is this".

dox
Mar 4, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

No sorry, I got that bit. I mean where it talks about how it can protect people when they take laptops out the office - presumably it needs to manually set the DNS servers when that device leaves the corporate network? I was wondering how seamless that part is. I don't need people connecting to hotspots and having the redirect to the captive portal failing etc.

OpenDNS offers a client called the OpenDNS umbrella client that you can install on roaming machines so that it is forced to always use OpenDNS DNS servers, even if the user tries to change it themselves.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ChubbyThePhat posted:

This would be great.

Also had a ticket come in internally asking about a mailbox that was removed from Exchange. Apparently the user is still in AD so the guy was just wondering what was going on there. I haven't looked at it yet, but that wasn't how I thought that worked. Nothing pressing more just two of us now going "wtf is this".

Someone probably took a backwards route and only shut off the Exchange mailbox instead of removing the AD account entirely. You can leave the mailbox and disable the AD account if, say, you need to forward mail to another account after someone leaves a company. Usually removing the AD account completely will nuke any mailboxes as well as long as Exchange/AD are tied together properly IIRC.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Data Graham posted:

I've never heard anybody call it a paper cassette, in fact I doubt even the manual (which nobody in any office has read) calls it that

Like the same UI that says "PC LOAD LETTER" will also say "TRAY 4"

If printer manufacturers cared in the slightest about not being seen as the inheritors of the 70s-era "inscrutable stereo instructions" mantle, they could have just had the display say "OUT OF PAPER"
Back in the LaserJet II/III era when those messages were still relevent the paper acutally was stored in a cartidge thing you had to pull out, open, load with paper, and shove back in. And they didn't bother with tray messages since there was just the one paper input.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sure, and it's still the same way mostly. It's just that nobody anywhere ever internalized the phrase "paper cassette". It's a robotic engineer's term that bubbled up all the way to being shoved in front of non-technical users, and in an abbreviated form to add insult to injury.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
loving more broken cloud poo poo, this time our phones are dead again first thing in the morning as I come in the office.

"Everything's hosed!" :derp:
"That's nice, I'm going to get a coffee while our hosting overlords sort themselves out"

Ok I'm not that harsh about it but we had this poo poo last Friday, this time I sent a ticket and included some big wigs to duke it out.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Super Slash posted:

loving more broken cloud poo poo, this time our phones are dead again first thing in the morning as I come in the office.

"Everything's hosed!" :derp:
"That's nice, I'm going to get a coffee while our hosting overlords sort themselves out"

Ok I'm not that harsh about it but we had this poo poo last Friday, this time I sent a ticket and included some big wigs to duke it out.

It wouldn't happen to be something that relies on L3 for connectivity, would it? TWC is down and/or experiencing weird connectivity issues to different providers throughout New York because of a few different Level3 fiber cuts.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

flosofl posted:

PC = Paper Cassette

:monocle: I've always wondered-but-not-cared-enough-to-look-up what "PC" meant in that context. Huh, how about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I always assumed, as a kid, that it meant "Problem Code", to be honest.

• Locked thread