Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
Lore-talk time:

Is the general consensus that Lothric and it's surrounding areas are where Lordran used to be? Some of the examples are pretty obvious (Farron Keep is what used to be Darkroot Forest and Smouldering Lake is well...blatantly obvious) but what about some of the other areas?

And also the established places. There are NPC's from Astora and Venhiem, even though the latter was supposedly destroyed according to DkS2. The Drang stuff is also interesting to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

homeless poster posted:

i can't be the only person who attacks every chest exactly once, no matter what, even if i know based on replaying the game, that it's not a mimic, right? i feel like random mimics wouldn't make any difference, unless they could randomly be things like bonfires or crates or trees or truly a random assortment of things.

I just look at the chain, and hit the chest in the rare event I can't see the chain.

Your Moms Ahegao
Sep 3, 2008

I guess the Sun and Thron Rings were too 'fun and interesting' to be brought over from DS2 because those would have been perfect to stop body blocking.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

JetsGuy posted:

Keep in mind though that the way to get tounges aside from the few random lucky ones requires equipping the covenant item, which will void the questline.
Oh god dammit, really? I equipped it for one invasion to see if the rewards were different from normal invading, and that broke the questline?
Why are almost all of the questlines so easy to break in this game?!

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
im pretty sure it doesent void the questline. i think only way to void it is give tongues to the rosaria covenant now.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Ice Fist posted:

My reaction to every boss I've encountered so far:

IG - I'm not used to boss fights this early, game owns. 2 Tries.
V - Meh. 1 Try.
RG - Meh. 1 Try.
CS - Meh. 1 Try.
DooD - Whoa. Cool. Not completely obvious mechanics. Fight can get away from you if you're not careful. 3 tries.
AW - SoY from Bloodborne combined with some Lady Maria. Cool fight. Easy though. 1 Try.
HLW - This guy doesn't seem so ba-WHY AM I DYING SO FAST WHAT IS HAPPENING. 3 Tries.
ODK - For the LOVE OF GOD stop using AOE attacks guy. 3 Tries.
PS - CHRIST GET AWAY FROM ME GET AWAY FROM ME GET AWAY FROM ME. 4 Tries.

Some of the bosses are really really cool, but ultimately I think I'm generally good enough at the game that most bosses are tending to be pushovers. The PS fight in particular was perfect I think. Cool boss design, the arena was fantastic and the music was amazing. However some random enemies that you fight throughout the game have killed me more than any boss.

Game is great though. I'm loving every minute of it.

Ice Fist posted:

I completed another big chunk of the game so it's time for BOSS REACTIONS from where I left off

YtG - Welp this is going to take a long rear end time. I'm doing no loving damageHEY what's that item over there. Ohh this must be important. Okay I equipped it now I just do tons of damage right? No? WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? *You died* I actually freed Seigwald after I finished this boss so I didn't get to see the special cutscene until I did this with a friend later. I had no loving clue at all how to use the sword until I died and got to mess around with it at the bonfire. Then Yhorm was a loving chump. 2 tries
A,DoG - Honestly, if you get hit with the arrow spell the Aldritch uses and die your corpse looks like Leonidas at the end of 300 and that's pretty cool. Boss was still pretty chumpy. 2 tries
BD - I got ported into this fight just after beating Aldritch, only had 3 estsus sips. 1 try should tell you everything I think about this.
CK - I shamefully summoned sad Hawk guy for this fight, so I can't claim solo superiority, but I still thought he was easy. 1 try
CG - Holy poo poo WHO TAUGHT GUNDYR KARATE?? - 2 tries, but I barely survived long enough to finish him off. I feel like I got lucky.
AW - Okay. I'm doing absolutely no damage to this guy. THERE MUST BE A TRICK. I gotta look around for it... OH poo poo THERE ARE TONS OF BAD GUYS HERE KEEP RUNNING AHHHHHH. Ok I seem to be above the boss I wonder if..... YES HOLY poo poo YES THIS IS AMAZING. 1 Try.

I've been trying my absolute hardest to not spoil myself in this thread, but I have caught rumors of a certain boss I am about to face and I am excited to see what I think about this boss that shall not be named ~puns~

So here we go, finally beat the game... since I did boss reaction posts for the previous sections, here's the final section of the game:

NK - Hey cool, I'm fighting a super saiyan riding a dragon. And he hits as hard as Goku too. This is going to take a while. On the plus side, my eventual victory over him was near perfect and awesome. 22 tries.
DA - Hey, this seems like a solid boss fightWHO IS SPITTING poo poo AT ME? 1 Try
L&L - Well this seems okay *teleport* WHAT? poo poo. *teleport* *laser beam attack* You died. Oh I killed the boss... aaaaand he's back again and this time with somebody helping him. On my victory try they teleported away from me to a corner of a room and I killed Lothric simultaneously as he healed Lorien so I thought I was going to have to finish Lorien off. Thank God that didn't happen. The fight ended once Lothric died. 10 tries.
SoC - Hey. I got this jerk's health down. So close to beating the game (nope, lol he got all his health back :darksouls: ) - 6 tries

I chose to *ending spoilers* not link the fire, but I had hosed up Anri's quest so I didn't get to see whatever that was. The ending was very hopeful seeing as that the entire world just went pitch black. When they say age of dark they aren't loving kidding, but the super grimdark future predicted by everyone saying that "not liking the fire is a huge betrayal the world is gunna suck" definitely isn't happening, at least in the long term. I'm going to try and do that with my 2nd playthrough, which is probably going to be NG again as a DEX/FTH guy.

All in all I loved this game and I will definitely be doing multiple playthroughs. I have to give Bloodborne a slight edge in game play in terms of series favorites, but this game beats the pants off DS2. I haven't played DS1, but plan on doing so after the DS3 DLC. I have to eventually play that game to understand why some people geek out at all the references eventually.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

SoC - Hey. I got this jerk's health down. So close to beating the game (nope, lol he got all his health back :darksouls: ) - 6 tries

My first victory against him was very :darksouls: but not in the same way. I had 111 HP left and no flasks, and I won because I basically went "gently caress it" and went on the all-out offensive. I think I used my last flask when his second phase had like 50% HP left so somehow I got through the last quarter of the fight with no healing. It felt very good. I think it took me four or five tries, I wasn't really counting.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HnK416 posted:

Lore-talk time:

Is the general consensus that Lothric and it's surrounding areas are where Lordran used to be? Some of the examples are pretty obvious (Farron Keep is what used to be Darkroot Forest and Smouldering Lake is well...blatantly obvious) but what about some of the other areas?

And also the established places. There are NPC's from Astora and Venhiem, even though the latter was supposedly destroyed according to DkS2. The Drang stuff is also interesting to think about.

Remember that a lot of the surrounding land is converging upon Lothric. Izalith in particular is explicitly stated as moving (or rather, Cornyx mentions this is hearsay among pyromancers or something to that effect).

Grimalkin
Oct 2, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfINLMA6_qE

It's you and me, buddy! We're in this together!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Harrow posted:

My first victory against him was very :darksouls: but not in the same way. I had 111 HP left and no flasks, and I won because I basically went "gently caress it" and went on the all-out offensive. I think I used my last flask when his second phase had like 50% HP left so somehow I got through the last quarter of the fight with no healing. It felt very good. I think it took me four or five tries, I wasn't really counting.

I liked how SoC has both Sunlight Spear and also a version of splintering lightning spear from DS2.

quote:

Remember that a lot of the surrounding land is converging upon Lothric. Izalith in particular is explicitly stated as moving (or rather, Cornyx mentions this is hearsay among pyromancers or something to that effect).

When's he say that? I didn't hear it, but it could explain a lot about Eleum Loyce and whether or not it's explicitly on top of Anor Londo. Though I think that Irithyl is built on top of even that, with the snow and all.

StringOfLetters
Apr 2, 2007
What?

lite_sleepr posted:

Who knew you could put mimics to sleep with undead hunter charms? Nothing in the item description indicates they can be used for this.

After, you should be able to drop a firebomb into their open mouth like Geralt does with monster nests.

The extra use for this is; Mimics have a small chance to drop a 'Symbol of Avarice,' which is a mimic for a hat, which weighs a ton and drains your health but gives you a big +soul% and +item find% bonus. If you kill a mimic, it will not respawn. If you throw a charm at a mimic, it will drop its item, and have a chance to drop a Hat. If you hit a bonfire and come back, you can chuck another charm for another chance at getting Hat as many times as you care to. Recommend eating coins and holding the crystal rapier.

I'm pretty sure the closest bonfire-to-chest gap is the first mimic on the castle wall, that drops the deep axe. So, if you want to farm a mimic hat, which will greatly help farming any other rare drop, don't kill that first mimic.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

StringOfLetters posted:

The extra use for this is; Mimics have a small chance to drop a 'Symbol of Avarice,' which is a mimic for a hat, which weighs a ton and drains your health but gives you a big +soul% and +item find% bonus. If you kill a mimic, it will not respawn. If you throw a charm at a mimic, it will drop its item, and have a chance to drop a Hat. If you hit a bonfire and come back, you can chuck another charm for another chance at getting Hat as many times as you care to. Recommend eating coins and holding the crystal rapier.

I'm pretty sure the closest bonfire-to-chest gap is the first mimic on the castle wall, that drops the deep axe. So, if you want to farm a mimic hat, which will greatly help farming any other rare drop, don't kill that first mimic.
Is it not like in DS1 that the last Mimic you kill will always drop it (if you didn't randomly get it before)? Because I'm pretty sure I got mine from the last Mimic.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Thanks for correcting muh stupid mistakes y'all. :downs:

Other hot takes:

One thing I really like about playing as a sorcerer is that mimics are stupidly easy. Cast hidden body, pelt it with magic. You can literally stand right in front of it hitting it with great heavy soul arrows and it doesn't even transform. It just sits there still pretending to be a chest until it dies.

Warning: One time in Profaned Capital this wasn't the case and it grabbed me and ate me. gently caress mimics.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

StringOfLetters posted:

According to wiki each charm thrown at it counts as a roll, so you apparently do not have to go to a bonfire each time.
http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Symbol+of+Avarice

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A thing I missed in Profaned Capital: is that the actual loving Lordvessel? As soon as I saw someone mention in this thread that Profaned Capital is the Lordvessel's resting place I just had to go back and look.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Just beat the Dancer and is it just me or does the difficulty spike way up after this point? Everything is destroying me in 2 hits, even with 27 VIG, am I missing something?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

MZ posted:

Just beat the Dancer and is it just me or does the difficulty spike way up after this point? Everything is destroying me in 2 hits, even with 27 VIG, am I missing something?

Part of the issue is that you may be letting the Lothric Priests (the brown robed guys) do their little buff, which massively increases the damage of surrounding Lothric Knights. In general, though, everything starts hitting like a tank shell after Dancer.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MZ posted:

Don't let the knights get buffed. They're big enough assholes without it.

But yes, poo poo gets harder after Dancer for sure.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I'd argue there is a significant spike. Felt like it on both my playthroughs. I assumed it was to make it harder to cheese your way through the game by doing Dancer early.

Also Gotthard Twinswords woah baby. poo poo is clutch. Gott me hard for sure.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

HnK416 posted:

Lore-talk time:

I dispute this. To me everything points seems that Lothric is a place where everything converges, as in literally appearing out of nowhere like the entire world is collapsing unto itself.

The final view in the Kiln of the Flame is the culmination of this. It's as if everything just smashed together by some unseen force.

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 9, 2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I dispute this heavily. To me everything points to the fact that Lothric is a place where everything converges, as in literally appearing out of nowhere as if the entire world is collapsing unto itself.

The final view in the Kiln of the Flame is the culmination of this. It's as if everything just smashed together by some unseen force.

Lothric itself seems to be an actual kingdom, but it did end up being ground zero for everything converging. Lothric has enough history--complete with a royal family and a Flame-linking mythology of its own--that I think it existed before all the convergence happened. But I also think it's very fair to say that it isn't built on top of Lordran, but rather right next to it as the convergence happens.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Also Gotthard Twinswords woah baby. poo poo is clutch. Gott me hard for sure.

Love the Gotthard Twinswords. I'm curious how nasty the nerf to their L1 stamina consumption is in 1.06 and I can't try it out until I get home from work. I'm sure they're still awesome just for their weapon art and the rolling L1, though.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

what the gently caress

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Harrow posted:

Love the Gotthard Twinswords. I'm curious how nasty the nerf to their L1 stamina consumption is in 1.06 and I can't try it out until I get home from work. I'm sure they're still awesome just for their weapon art and the rolling L1, though.

Feels fine, but I never played them pre-nerf. I got them and Dancer's Blades, I like them both but Dancer's gets kind of poo poo on by resistances from magic/fire.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Jose posted:

what the gently caress

It's a tricky covenant to join.

Luckily you can do it pretty early in NG+.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Jose posted:

what the gently caress

just do sirris quest. the ending to her quest gives you the covenant too.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Sieg, poor friend, breathes his last during the bossfight.

Is he dead for good?

the answer is yes, isn't it? :(

double nine fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 9, 2016

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

Yeah. That's what I think. As for what exactly causes this "implosion" in Lothric so to speak, I don't know.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Iretep posted:

just do sirris quest. the ending to her quest gives you the covenant too.

He can't if he handed any pale tongues to Rosaria, other than for respeccing

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Harrow posted:

Lothric itself seems to be an actual kingdom, but it did end up being ground zero for everything converging. Lothric has enough history--complete with a royal family and a Flame-linking mythology of its own--that I think it existed before all the convergence happened. But I also think it's very fair to say that it isn't built on top of Lordran, but rather right next to it as the convergence happens.

As a new player with this game, i understand this concept but it seems really out there as an explanation. From what I gather its been thousands of years since the first linking of the flame. And multiple kingdoms have risen and fallen and such, just the amount of Fire Keeper bodies in the tower shows that an immense amount of time has passed since the first linking.

To me it seems like everything keeps happening in the same general area of the world, so time/dimensional fuckery makes more sense why Anor Londo shows up, rather than the actual physical land mass shifting there. To me that makes no sense since it brings up so many questions. The land does not have any areas where its sharply sheared off or anything, like if part of Anor Londo looked like it was cut off with a knife it would make more sense. Everything is connected and fits together, like the buildings and such grew up around on another.

To me it seems its all in the same place, but so much time has passed between events that the kingdoms have all changed, parts of the land has changed, etc. And now that poo poo is going sideways again, poo poo like the silver knights start showing back up.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

double nine posted:

Sieg, poor friend, breathes his last during the bossfight.

Is he dead for good?

the answer is yes, isn't it? :(

Yar he dead. Least he goes out with a bang.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Speaking of NPC questlines whatever happens to that dude who's all cynical and laughs at how stupid it all it in the Shrine but disappears soon after Faron?

If you get both dragon stones, he'll ask Andre to pass along a message to meet him at Abyss Watchers bonfire. If you visit, he'll fight you for the title of Dragonkin Prime, the winner getting a pair of shiny stones, and the loser losing their stones. He can be rematched, though.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

WaltherFeng posted:

Yeah. That's what I think. As for what exactly causes this "implosion" in Lothric so to speak, I don't know.
EpicNameBro said in one of his videos that it seems to him that the Souls series could well be (at least in part) about the concept of entropy, and that is closely related to the question if the universe starts with a big bang and will end in energyless darkness, or if there will be another big bang...but maybe with less total energy? If the world collapses together at one point as the cycles come to an end, as each Linking produces a less strong and lasting flame, that does make a good amount of sense. I usually shy away from "well actually this is all a metaphor for [x]", but ENB has actually talked to Miyazaki, so I'm willing to entertain the thought some more.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Harrow posted:

A thing I missed in Profaned Capital: is that the actual loving Lordvessel? As soon as I saw someone mention in this thread that Profaned Capital is the Lordvessel's resting place I just had to go back and look.

I don't see much resemblance to Firelink Altar.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Shindragon posted:

Yar he dead. Least he goes out with a bang.

visions of lonely ...

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

As a new player with this game, i understand this concept but it seems really out there as an explanation. From what I gather its been thousands of years since the first linking of the flame. And multiple kingdoms have risen and fallen and such, just the amount of Fire Keeper bodies in the tower shows that an immense amount of time has passed since the first linking.

To me it seems like everything keeps happening in the same general area of the world, so time/dimensional fuckery makes more sense why Anor Londo shows up, rather than the actual physical land mass shifting there. To me that makes no sense since it brings up so many questions. The land does not have any areas where its sharply sheared off or anything, like if part of Anor Londo looked like it was cut off with a knife it would make more sense. Everything is connected and fits together, like the buildings and such grew up around on another.

To me it seems its all in the same place, but so much time has passed between events that the kingdoms have all changed, parts of the land has changed, etc. And now that poo poo is going sideways again, poo poo like the silver knights start showing back up.

I haven't read nearly all the item descriptions but one I like to always bring up is the banner Emma gives you. It states "When High Wall appeared" and you can clearly see how Lothric is cut off from the Undead Settlement.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

WaltherFeng posted:

I haven't read nearly all the item descriptions but one I like to always bring up is the banner Emma gives you. It states "When High Wall appeared" and you can clearly see how Lothric is cut off from the Undead Settlement.

I like the idea that the Dark Souls universe just cannot abide the notion of a vast palace not resting on top of an enormous plateau.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Harrow posted:

You can do one less L1 and two less L2's than it was before. Considering the damage increase on L1's, this seems mostly negligible and mostly for stopping stunlocking.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah, it's an out-there explanation, but it's the one the game seems to be going with. Remember in the opening cinematic, the narrator mentions that the "transitory lands of the Lords of Cinder" are converging on Lothric.

As to what's going on with the Fire Keeper corpses in Firelink Shrine--I'm convinced something fucky is going on. Have you been to Untended Graves yet? It gives you a whole new angle on the timeline that's going on and throws into question just how long this particular cycle has been dragging on for.

Gologle posted:

You can do one less L1 and two less L2's than it was before. Considering the damage increase on L1's, this seems mostly negligible and mostly for stopping stunlocking.

I'd heard the Gotthards only got the Stamina nerf and not the L1 damage increase, but either way I'm glad to hear it's still perfectly good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

I have such mixed feelings on invaders. On one hand it's super annoying that pretty much every time you invade you end up invading into a bunch of "SUMMONING PHANTOM xXx420_WeedKillaxXx" and it's almost always 1v3, even when you do fight them the host just keeps spamming summons. On the other, I've certainly been at points where I was just trying to get through a tough area and please leave me alone.

In the end, I side with the invaders more than I do the other. It's just so annoying to invade and just see three phantoms waving at you. Thank God for hidden body. :getin: