Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
From what I hear, you really only make money doing weekend nights and it's usually only if the rates are high enough in your city. Even then you will only make slightly more than even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

blackguy32 posted:

From what I hear, you really only make money doing weekend nights and it's usually only if the rates are high enough in your city. Even then you will only make slightly more than even.

And that doesn't factor in the depreciation of your car, or the fact that if your insurance agency finds out that you're using your normal car as a libertarian taxi cab they'll drop you like you were radioactive.

Also, for all the :qq: about drunk driving, the Statesmen had a lovely piece the other day. Turns out the police over-estimated the reduction in drunk-driving incidents after Uber came to town. Instead of the 23% drop they cited initially it was closer to 9-10% when they looked again.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Made sure to vote NO yesterday, though my precinct in North Austin still went blue.

Sir Tonk posted:

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news/local-govt-politics/banking-on-popularity-uber-and-lyft-hit-a-wall-in-/nrJPc/

Did this get posted already, cause oh man that quote is the most AUSTIN thing I've read.

Not all us 29-year-old Bay Area imports are like that, I swear!

...who am kidding :negative:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/georgepbush/status/729333151303012352

Eminently qualified Land Commissioner is very disappointed in us :(

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Badger of Basra posted:

Dreading P's eventual runs for Governor and President.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
What the hell is progressive about rolling over for big business?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Sardonik posted:

Retro definition of progress where it refers to the industrial revolution and manifest destiny.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Sardonik posted:

bending over backwards for the Captains of Industry since they're the only ones who can be relied upon for progress

when was the last time government wrote an innovative app, hmm? :smug:

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

Badger of Basra posted:

I love how Prop 1 was a referendum about whether to expel Uber/Lyft, as opposed to their leaving being a decision made by the executives of those companies

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Also something has been really bugging me -- is it that difficult to make an Uber clone app? Do they have patents on anything?

I would think that a group of talented software engineers could write an Uber clone in a few weeks

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Also something has been really bugging me -- is it that difficult to make an Uber clone app? Do they have patents on anything?

I would think that a group of talented software engineers could write an Uber clone in a few weeks

There's some app I've been seeing mentioned on Twitter named GetMe which is similar, but apparently they only have 500 drivers while Uber and Lyft had 10,000 each (in Austin alone).

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

GetMe is getting killed on Twitter because of slow and more expensive pick up times.

Curiously, their CEO is unknown. As in an anonymous entity.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/729392605553778688

Looks like they've already got the Lege on board, assuming they don't manage to piss them off like the gun people did last session. Given the campaign they just ran, it's possible they will!

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

Looks like they've already got the Lege on board, assuming they don't manage to piss them off like the gun people did last session. Given the campaign they just ran, it's possible they will!

If they only piss them off as much as the gun people did, Uber and Lyft are going to be awful smug come January 1, 2018.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

The yellow cabs in Texas already have one. The technology isn't the hard part of running a livery company.

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/madlinbmek/status/729392605553778688

Best part of that is that it's not inconsistent, all the cities have said they have to follow the existing laws.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

duz posted:

Best part of that is that it's not inconsistent, all the cities have said they have to follow the existing laws.

Well I guess we'll just have to create a state law that says cities can't require Uber/Lyft obey laws.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
It's amazing to me that this is another stupid thing that is becoming partisan.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

It's amazing to me that this is another stupid thing that is becoming partisan.

It's about money. Everything is partisan.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How's everyone's first day in the blasted hellscape that is post-Uber Austin.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I had to walk the length of 35 from Waco to San Marcos this morning

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

zoux posted:

How's everyone's first day in the blasted hellscape that is post-Uber Austin.

quote:

I remember we were trying to get a ride home and we were jumped by a group of guys who punched us in order to steal out cab because it was so hard to get a ride home.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

GetMe is getting killed on Twitter because of slow and more expensive pick up times.

Curiously, their CEO is unknown. As in an anonymous entity.

Maybe they will get more drivers during sign ups by the Shell

http://rideshareacademy.com/getme-disaster-austin-tx/

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I drove my vehicle to the airport and paid to park like a normal suburban adult.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I drove my vehicle to the airport and paid to park like a normal suburban adult.

You monster!

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I once did that Austin Bergstrom, and the lot I parked at was adjacent to a large parking structure under construction. When I got back from my trip, my car was covered in dust.

Things were never the same after that dark day.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Here's former Austin mayor and current (excellent) state senator Kirk Watson on prop1:

Terrible metaphor but he's right on the other stuff. He's probably going to be leading the fight in the Lege vs. any pro-ride sharing legislation.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Wikkheiser posted:

I once did that Austin Bergstrom, and the lot I parked at was adjacent to a large parking structure under construction. When I got back from my trip, my car was covered in dust.

Things were never the same after that dark day.

Did you get a DUI on the way home?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

Here's former Austin mayor and current (excellent) state senator Kirk Watson on prop1:

Terrible metaphor but he's right on the other stuff. He's probably going to be leading the fight in the Lege vs. any pro-ride sharing legislation.

I honestly think that those politicians talking up a state overturn are just doing it because they see a chance for some free publicity. I would be a bit surprised if it were anywhere close to a priority during the actual session.

By the way this is what it looks like in the uber app in Austin now:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/evanbaehr/status/729136390122840064

Anything else we can do to make your SV VC raising for tech bullshit in Austin more difficult, do let us know.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

I honestly think that those politicians talking up a state overturn are just doing it because they see a chance for some free publicity. I would be a bit surprised if it were anywhere close to a priority during the actual session.

By the way this is what it looks like in the uber app in Austin now:

Lol what a bunch of passive aggressive babies

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Does that mean you can get a ride from one of the suburbs where Uber operates into Austin?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Why yes I'm quite happy that I helped poo poo in the VC/Uber punchbowl why do you ask?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The best thing is that if they'd just have kept their goddamn mouths shut it probably would've passed no problem.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Does that mean you can get a ride from one of the suburbs where Uber operates into Austin?

Nah, I think they can't operate in Austin at all.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
I really, really, really love that techbros are apparently cognitively incapable of realizing that they are NIMBY objects.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

This is like when the aliens show up at your planet and start to xenoform it to make it hospitable to them. They must be stopped at all costs.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

zoux posted:

I think that could be a shade thrown at Lee Leffingwell who the rideshare lobby employed for this election.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Go back to Dallas, heathen!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joe Pickett, current House Transpo chair and Jonathan Stickland kicker-outer, said he thinks it should be up to cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

zoux posted:

This is like when the aliens show up at your planet and start to xenoform it to make it hospitable to them. They must be stopped at all costs.

A friend who has been in Austin since the 80s compared this to the big watershed fights in the 90s, when we managed to fight Freeeport Mcmoran off and started the Save Our Springs coalition started.