Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I like the constant making GBS threads on business school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
The cut to Bell Biv DeVoe over the credits killed me.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
I really wanna see a storyline where Jared is Hanneman's protege.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything from the slo mo rap to Jareds joke to Richard tripping and the cut to poison was perfect. I actually cried I was laughing so hard.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

I like the constant making GBS threads on business school.

I'm exploring consulting as a career option now, and the 'conjoined triangles of success' is exactly my problem with so much of business education: take 5-6 painfully general buzzwords, put them on an arbitrary graphical design, give them an air of reverence and some credentials behind the author, and you can sell it in a $40 paperback book to aspiring tycoons everywhere.

Even consulting feels like it's contemptuously dismissive of half of this stuff for exactly that reason and unironically fanatical about invoking the just-as-arbitrary other half.

Jack is well done and is starting to give off a distinct Jobs vs. Wozniak vibe. In the first 1.5 episodes, he comes across as the rare genius who ardently supports engineering vision and has the business savvy to make both work, even if it is rooted in some heartbreaking pragmatism. He smoothly wins over Bachman and Richard with flattery and Dinesh and Gilfoyle with bribery.

Then in episode 3 the mask starts slipping and we see private flashes of anger. Somewhere around the fourth or fifth time he orders Richard to his office and points to the triangles to settle a protest, it becomes clear just how empty they are and that his true genius is just manipulation bordering on psychopathy.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 9, 2016

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Holy poo poo was that perfect. Oceans 11 except he trips lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Avasculous posted:

Somewhere around the fourth or fifth time he orders Richard to his office and points to the triangles to settle a protest, it becomes clear just how empty they are and that his true genius is just manipulation bordering on psychopathy.

We're finally getting to see what happened to Werner Brandes from 'Sneakers.' Mary McDonnell's character broke his heart and shattered his faith in the purity of coding, so he stopped designing voice recognition chips for stuffed animals, changed his name, and became a ruthless corporate shill, determined to make coders and fellow engineers suffer with his every breath for not designing a better computer dating system.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I think Omar cribbed his badass line from a quote by some Roman consul or something

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
This show does a great job at making me feel this contact-helplessness. Richards fruitless attempts at changing Action Jack's mind are so god drat frustrating. WHY WONT YOU LISTEN. CAN YOU NOT SEE THE POTENTIAL?!

It seriously bugs me. I can feel Richard's helplessness physically.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Holy poo poo was that perfect. Oceans 11 except he trips lol
Starring Julia Roberts and eleven men.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I have been part of a "Let's work on this thing on company time and not tell management until it's demoable" project before, but nowhere near that scale. If they don't deliver that box, all the breach clauses from the contracts the sales team has definitely already sold are gonna drive the company bankrupt before they have a chance to do anything with their consumer platform. Good thing that Richard was stupid enough to bring their brightly colored SKUNKWORKS documents to the office and have them exposed by mistake.

Deadulus posted:

Huh, looking up the Meinertzhagen's Haversack. The historical ploy was letting a haversack with false plans fall into enemy hands. I wonder if the dropped papers was a trick or if they genuinely hosed up.

Oh. Ohhhhhh....

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lycus posted:

Curious as to why Gilfoyle doesn't just go back to quitting.

Maybe Jack blackballs them in the industry. Let's slip that his engineer team tried to mutiny(hey another show reference!) and nobody will hire them. All the recruitment stops, which actually works out in Richard's favour since now his team can't leave and they're free to do their double secret omega bluff.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Is there any truth to what happened to Gilfoyle when he was being recruited because it sounds awesome as gently caress(all the gift baskets and free poo poo)?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Holyshoot posted:

Is there any truth to what happened to Gilfoyle when he was being recruited because it sounds awesome as gently caress(all the gift baskets and free poo poo)?

I'm sure if you're a superstar, it's true.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Avasculous posted:

I'm exploring consulting as a career option now, and the 'conjoined triangles of success' is exactly my problem with so much of business education: take 5-6 painfully general buzzwords, put them on an arbitrary graphical design, give them an air of reverence and some credentials behind the author, and you can sell it in a $40 paperback book to aspiring tycoons everywhere.

I have good news!

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

All business literature is "making yourself feel good about separating people from their money". It involves lying to yourself. A lot.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Holyshoot posted:

He's on a team that went from nothing to winning Tech Crunch to getting "Action Jack" on board. SV has a ton of money to throw around.

egoslicer
Jun 13, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Like most things in SV, this is 90% true with only slight embellishment. Senior Engineers are hot commodities and tossing a bunch of swag at someone is pretty common place.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Also at this point the pied piper crew are like engineering celebrities, and a company trying to hire gilfoyle might also be hoping to use his knowledge of the compression algorithm.

I wonder if the endframexnucleus crew actually wanted gilfoyle or if they just wanted to rub his nose in the fact that they had figured it out.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

Starring Julia Roberts and eleven men.

Jared was loving perfect in the episode. Totally killed me.

Avasculous posted:

Even consulting feels like it's contemptuously dismissive of half of this stuff for exactly that reason and unironically fanatical about invoking the just-as-arbitrary other half.
You should watch my other favourite Sunday show, "House Of Lies"

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Oh hey guys, there's a lot of evidence that getting caught was part of the plan:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SiliconValleyHBO/comments/4ikzcl/all_the_reasons_why_the_plan_is_still_in_progress/

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Deadulus posted:

Huh, looking up the Meinertzhagen's Haversack. The historical ploy was letting a haversack with false plans fall into enemy hands. I wonder if the dropped papers was a trick or if they genuinely hosed up.

Then again, this is the same show that didn't describe the Schroedingers Cat thought experiment correctly so maybe not.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
The Pied Piper site is yet again updated (site-wide announcement by Jack, several blog posts by Jared). I love HBO's commitment to the supplemental stuff.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

http://www.pajiba.com/tv_reviews/silicon-valley-meinertzhagens-haversack-and-the-potentially-brilliant-twist-ending-explained.php

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

The Pied Piper site is yet again updated (site-wide announcement by Jack, several blog posts by Jared). I love HBO's commitment to the supplemental stuff.

https://www.instagram.com/SiliconHBO/

https://twitter.com/kumailn/status/729742619362906112

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

I have good news!

http://www.amazon.com/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0671027034

All business literature is "making yourself feel good about separating people from their money". It involves lying to yourself. A lot.

Thanks, I've actually been meaning to read that for a while and kept forgetting. Just ordered it.

Chris Knight posted:

You should watch my other favourite Sunday show, "House Of Lies"

I don't know that one but I like the name, I'll check it out.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Then again, this is the same show that didn't describe the Schroedingers Cat thought experiment correctly so maybe not.

What did they get wrong with Schroedinger's Cat? I'm not an expert at all and just skimmed the Wikipedia page, but wasn't their description basically right?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

Richard's bio is missing from the Pied Piper website :ohdear:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't even know there were bios. So the entire sales team is Jack's people from his previous company. Should've realized that.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Windows 98 posted:

Richard's bio is missing from the Pied Piper website :ohdear:

I don't think it was ever there.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

White Noise Marine posted:

I don't think it was ever there.

his was just a blank page last time I saw the site. is he removed entirely now?

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

bring back old gbs posted:

his was just a blank page last time I saw the site. is he removed entirely now?

No it's still a blank page. I hadn't seen it until now so I had thought they removed something.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Even ignoring the episode title, it's a plot point in Ocean's Eleven that when things seem to fail catastrophically, it's actually part of the plan.

I doubt the knee pads figure in to the plot. More likely they're to save precious actor knees.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The kneepads might've just been a legal thing - in that they didn't want him - the actor - to get hurt.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Last Chance posted:

I just love the way Stephen Tobolowsky says "What?! No! God no!!" to Richard

I'm a little behind, but I just got to this part and fell out of my chair laughing, rewound, and laughed again.

It's just the perfect summation of startup scaleout (like my last company :()

edit: And the loving thing all the sales people do where they say their name before they speak like they're on a loving business call :beerpal:

Greatbacon fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 10, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I thought the safety thing too but people on reddit have been saying that there would be no point in him wearing kneepads for the elevator scene when it probably wasn't shot at the same time as the tripping scene. I'm guessing that Richard looked up whatever haversack later, saw what the original plan was and then made up a fake skunkworks to trick Jack.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

Avasculous posted:

Jack is well done and is starting to give off a distinct Jobs vs. Wozniak vibe. In the first 1.5 episodes, he comes across as the rare genius who ardently supports engineering vision and has the business savvy to make both work, even if it is rooted in some heartbreaking pragmatism. He smoothly wins over Bachman and Richard with flattery and Dinesh and Gilfoyle with bribery.

Then in episode 3 the mask starts slipping and we see private flashes of anger. Somewhere around the fourth or fifth time he orders Richard to his office and points to the triangles to settle a protest, it becomes clear just how empty they are and that his true genius is just manipulation bordering on psychopathy.

Consulting is literally the most useless industry ever.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

DrunkPanda posted:

Consulting is literally the most useless industry ever.

Consult is nothing but the word 'con' and 60% of the word 'insult.'

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Avasculous posted:

What did they get wrong with Schroedinger's Cat? I'm not an expert at all and just skimmed the Wikipedia page, but wasn't their description basically right?

Basically the entire point of the experiment itself. The original is a canister or vial of poison that would be released if whatever subatomic occurrence you want to make fun of occurs and triggers the mechanism. In the show they just dumb it down to poison food. One you are leaving it to subatomic change (the whole point of the thought process joke) the other you just poisoned a cat in box and left it closed. Not a big thing, but neither would be having their plan not 100% follow the historical definition of the scheme.

It probably will though, but I can't figure out what they could possibly gain by feigning false skunkworks instead of just doing it.

DrunkPanda
Apr 24, 2005
I am trolling you, CineD

28 Days Later is actually a great movie

fuck starcraft

BIG HEADLINE posted:

It is also 100% of the word "dumbass". As in, you have to be a dumbass to hire one...

It's not actually related to the word dumbass, I made that part up :ssh:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Loved the chain jokes, the ending was incredibly frustrating and disappointing though. I really hope the "twist" turns out to be true.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The kneepads might've just been a legal thing - in that they didn't want him - the actor - to get hurt.
Yeah, but to have him wearing them in the elevator shot is a little strange...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

:eyepop:

Except in the construction/resource industry, where it's more 90%, since people have to know at least enough to BS their way through.

• Locked thread