Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Iretep posted:

It just occured to me that according to this game batmans greatest fear is turning into someone with a sense of humor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctLkYSbYfOs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

You know, I just realized something else messed up about this game.

So, the Arkham Knight wants to kill Batman but keeps getting stopped by Scarecrow- because he's crazy and just killing him and solving the problem isn't enough, he needs to prove that it was his methods that work so no one else tries to off him- all the time.

But then you get into a tank fight and he's so pissed off whenever you're not being killed. And Scarecrow never chimes in about the point of it being to stall him or anything. Are all of the tank fights an honest attempt to kill you or is the Arkham Knight going rogue literally every half hour?

Wedemeyer posted:

Do you think Alfred edits his screen to say unconscious instead of dead so Batman doesn't feel bad about doing his hobby?

God, I hate this meme.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

RareAcumen posted:

But then you get into a tank fight and he's so pissed off whenever you're not being killed. And Scarecrow never chimes in about the point of it being to stall him or anything. Are all of the tank fights an honest attempt to kill you or is the Arkham Knight going rogue literally every half hour?

The Knight thinks his forces will be able to kill you. Scarecrow knows (with massive scare quotes) that they won't, because that wouldn't be a demonstration of your Absolute Defeat. Also, it's a videogame.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

is the Arkham Knight going rogue literally every half hour?

Recall that his opening scene is him going "You know, I fully intend to kill you, but first we intend to make you suffer." before telling all his men to aim at Batman and to fire on his word after he checks with boss man.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Felinoid posted:

That would explain why the 30 guys in there during the video just stood and watched Batman molest the seminar leader.

Can't you see some of them holding the others back? Like, these are all the guys who refused to wear the vest, of course they're not going to interrupt the guy defusing the bomb.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.

Polaron posted:

Can't you see some of them holding the others back? Like, these are all the guys who refused to wear the vest, of course they're not going to interrupt the guy defusing the bomb.

"Do YOU know how big a 30kg explosion is? I sure as gently caress don't wanna find out if that's big enough to splatter me!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Polaron posted:

Also I'm betting most of them don't actually want to see Sergeant Suicide Vest die.

Betting on Batman's thanatophobia is a good bet, the problem is you need to use people who aren't at core a bunch of mercenaries, most of whom really don't want to die.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Some of them seem to be dumb enough to want to die, the problem is that for some reason Scarecrow isn't doing something that could be actually effective. Like say using his toxin on his own men to get them to start killing each other while batman tries to save them. Because if he actually hid it well, he could make it look like he's actually surrendering and then batman the vigilante fucks up his capture live on TV. A real blow to his legend of being an acceptable lawbreaker.

EDIT: In essence, Crane hosed himself from step one by making sure Gotham evacuated not just because he cut down the effectiveness of the chemical attack, but because he let batman have breathing room instead of going after his greatest strength. Public trust that his methods are needed.

EDIT 2: I'm actually kind of mad thinking about it now that I would have liked the game better as Crane attacking the other angle of the Batman Legend, The Unbeatable Vigilante that society can Trust to do the Right Thing, by making everyone fear the Batman. The cops that call him sir and almost worship him as God of Law that has transcended the rules they, mere mortals in blue uniforms, still follow. The media that sensationalizes him as a hero compares to all the other freaks that make Batman look docile and benevolent in comparison. The average people that dress up as him for Halloween or idolize him to the point that meeting him is like being introduced to a celebrity. Crane, you could have used the Arkham Knight as some other Batman and make people worry that this is what Batman has/will become over whether or not they're in league with each other - that people would support the militia to maybe protect them from Batman. You hosed it all up by doing the same thing everyone has ever done by trying to prove he isn't invincible and just make him look more like that every time he beats your next push or plan!

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 9, 2016

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

God, I hate this meme.

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware this was a constant joke in the batman comic fandom. It's just a curious thing to try and match up comic book reality to our reality where throwing a guy off a building would murder them. It just seems like Alfred might be the kind of guy to fudge the truth a little and not actually report how many people Bruce fucks up. He is a butler, after all.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Y'know, when you think about it, this job probably seemed pretty safe to the Militia guys. They're being paid to fight Batman, a dude who is so well-known for not killing that their plans depend on it. It probably seemed like an easier payday than fighting in some Balkan war or raiding STAR Labs or something.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008

Wedemeyer posted:

I wasn't aware this was a constant joke in the batman comic fandom.

Pete Holmes as Batman, Patton Oswalt as Penguin, CollegeHumor on YouTube. Check it out; it got a laugh out of me, at least.

Anyways: I really feel like his "no kill" rule is kind of the least interesting part of Batman these days. Like, maybe I'm just burnt out on it, but it seems like all the dumb permutations on villains trying to take advantage of Batman's "one rule" just... don't work. It's not what makes him interesting, it's a hold-out from the Comics Code Authority days, it seems downright academic when stretched to the extremes of "Batman's totally willing to render someone a paraplegic, but as long as they DON'T DIE..." :jerkbag:

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Good lord animation quality took a nosedive since the 90s

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Pete Holmes as Batman, Patton Oswalt as Penguin, CollegeHumor on YouTube. Check it out; it got a laugh out of me, at least.

Anyways: I really feel like his "no kill" rule is kind of the least interesting part of Batman these days. Like, maybe I'm just burnt out on it, but it seems like all the dumb permutations on villains trying to take advantage of Batman's "one rule" just... don't work. It's not what makes him interesting, it's a hold-out from the Comics Code Authority days, it seems downright academic when stretched to the extremes of "Batman's totally willing to render someone a paraplegic, but as long as they DON'T DIE..." :jerkbag:

I wish someone would tell his writers this because they don't seem to get the memo.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Willie Tomg posted:

It doesn't help that A: They made the joker into Rastafari Blanka and B: They kept the designs simple so as to better emphasize the toy line.

There's an episode of The Batman that orients entirely around Batman's new giant robot suit that all but screams "Buy this toy."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Wedemeyer posted:

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware this was a constant joke in the batman comic fandom. It's just a curious thing to try and match up comic book reality to our reality where throwing a guy off a building would murder them. It just seems like Alfred might be the kind of guy to fudge the truth a little and not actually report how many people Bruce fucks up. He is a butler, after all.

It's not a thing in the comic fandom, it's just a bit obnoxious to see floating around in talk about the games because- The woman who's half plant, the giant dinocrocodile man, the scientist whose body temperature is like negative 44 degrees or something, the first game where the asylum literally has electric forcefields, the nearly Hulk-sized man hopped up on super drugs that can throw trains and- the constantly reviving zombie man, that's all fine but as soon as you drive into someone, they must be dead.

It just bothers me more since this isn't the only bit of Arkham Knight LP I've watched a lot of so I'm extra sick of that dumb joke because I hear it from other people too.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kurieg posted:

There's an episode of The Batman that orients entirely around Batman's new giant robot suit that all but screams "Buy this toy."

The one where he fights Bane? Or the one where he fights Titan Joker?

That being said, I did like the episode where Hugo Strange almost brainwashed Batman into releasing a virus into Gotham due to being infected with it himself and believing he was releasing a cure.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I've actually been watching that show lately, and it's not bad. It does a good job of balancing the classic bits of villains while also making them distinct enough to fit its general vibe.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I was thinking about Arkham Origins again and it could have worked as, not a batman game, but the origin of Amadeus Arkham, in more of a LA Noire kinda way. You play as Amadeus, interviewing patients at his new asylum, full of hope that he can fix everyone that comes through his door. Then a patient escapes, and Amadeus starts trying to track him down, not letting the police handle it alone due to a sense of responsibility - My Patient, My Responsibility. He gets more and more desperate with every passing hour he fails to find the guy, beginning to hallucinate a large bat spirit on top of everything else,, and the dialog options change to reflect that, until he arrives at home late into the game to find his family dead and his escaped patient fleeing the scene. He snaps, and by the time you have caught up with the patient, Amadeus's despair has corrupted his decision making to the point that you only get one option, couched in either a noble cause or just vengeance. Both options result in him beating the guy to death, and his transition to the murderous Arkham who possessed Quincy Sharp, but the choice was still there - it was "I finally know how to help you..." vs "I will fix this city the only way I can..." or something. One a 'Paragon' option, one 'Renegade', but both black and white have blurred into a grey miasma that fuels his eventual madness.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Willie Tomg posted:

The Batman existence might be worth it just for the VS Dracula movie.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I was thinking about Arkham Origins again and it could have worked as, not a batman game,

I sense a problem here.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The one where he fights Bane? Or the one where he fights Titan Joker?

That being said, I did like the episode where Hugo Strange almost brainwashed Batman into releasing a virus into Gotham due to being infected with it himself and believing he was releasing a cure.

The Titan Joker one, it also spends the screen time it's not devoting to the awesome new toy to the "Batgirl you're too much of a loose cannon and not enough of a team player but you did good this time" plot.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Mysteries! REVEALED!

Unmasked/Polsy

New bio: Red Hood

New story: Critter

John Liver
May 4, 2009

What a fuckin' surprise.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
This is just makes that whole we didn't want QA to reveal his identity laughable when any goddamn Batman fan could figure out who AK is.

Also goddamn they made him so whiny.

edit: Regarding your little trivia about Damian Wayne. Yes he is pretty much the son of Talia and Batman. He is actually a pretty decent character. Even better is when Nightwing takes the cowl, they made a mini series called Batman and Robin with Nightwing being Batman and Damian Wayne being Robin and it was pretty drat good. Of course since DC likes status quo, once Bruce came back, they stopped that dynamic duo.

edit: Also regarding AK.
This potryal of Jason Todd I do not like, but the movie under the redhood is so good. Like yeah he's still murdering criminals left and right but when Batman is about to get sideblinded by a beam projectile, he jumps in to take the hit. And once Redhood takes in Joker, Batman is like why are you doing this, are you mad? And JT is like no I never was mad at you, I respect you, but why is he (Joker) still alive. And yeah this where i"m like yeah I can't blame JT for being pissed about it and even though Batman gives his usual answer he doesn't kill, he does admit he really did want to kill Joker during that point. I would be more forgiving of AK if he was less childish about the whole Batman leaving him crap.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 9, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, shock and awe. Shock and awe.
Also, I really hoped that the Batmobile would be destroyed for good.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I really hate the way he's written but I love Troy Baker's voice work. He pulls off the broken anguish in his voice pretty well.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The twists in this game are ridiculously predictable.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shindragon posted:

This is just makes that whole we didn't want QA to reveal his identity laughable when any goddamn Batman fan person ever could figure out who AK is.

Let's get real here. The movie studio was a giant statement defining who Jason Todd, a "dead" man, was. There are not a whole lot of reasons to do that if the reports of his death weren't greatly exaggerated.

Ditto on the ending of this episode given all the ranting about how batman's armor works. At least they didn't try to make it a "surprise" like oracle or Todd on that one, though.

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012
Why does the tunneling machine even exist? What possible use could they have had with an Arkham Militia branded tunnel borer?

Crystalgate
Dec 26, 2012
Also, why is a digging machine cannon proof?

Anyway, two characters Batman thought dead revealed to be alive this very episode. Who will be the next to not be dead?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I like that they tried to tease Barbara dying immediately after they invalidated their previous attempt to tease her death.

Scribe13
Jan 30, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Crystalgate posted:

Anyway, two characters Batman thought dead revealed to be alive this very episode. Who will be the next to not be dead?

"Bruce, I know you saw us gunned down when you were super young and that led you to the lifestyle you lead now, but your mother and I would like to have a few words with you young man."

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Scribe13 posted:

"Bruce, I know you saw us gunned down when you were super young and that led you to the lifestyle you lead now, but your mother and I would like to have a few words with you young man."

I don't think Rocksteady has it in them to adapt The Black Glove.

E: Oh yeah, and the next twist is that the Joker isn't actually dead.

Philippe fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 9, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shindragon posted:

This is just makes that whole we didn't want QA to reveal his identity laughable when any goddamn Batman fan could figure out who AK is.

Also goddamn they made him so whiny.

edit: Regarding your little trivia about Damian Wayne. Yes he is pretty much the son of Talia and Batman. He is actually a pretty decent character. Even better is when Nightwing takes the cowl, they made a mini series called Batman and Robin with Nightwing being Batman and Damian Wayne being Robin and it was pretty drat good. Of course since DC likes status quo, once Bruce came back, they stopped that dynamic duo.

edit: Also regarding AK.
This potryal of Jason Todd I do not like, but the movie under the redhood is so good. Like yeah he's still murdering criminals left and right but when Batman is about to get sideblinded by a beam projectile, he jumps in to take the hit. And once Redhood takes in Joker, Batman is like why are you doing this, are you mad? And JT is like no I never was mad at you, I respect you, but why is he (Joker) still alive. And yeah this where i"m like yeah I can't blame JT for being pissed about it and even though Batman gives his usual answer he doesn't kill, he does admit he really did want to kill Joker during that point. I would be more forgiving of AK if he was less childish about the whole Batman leaving him crap.

As dumb as coming back from the death specifically because Super Boy Prime PUNCHED REALITY SO HARD IT JUST UNDID SOME poo poo IN COMICS, Jason Todd's initial grief in Under the Hood is understandable but still a little psychotic from the whole coming back from death thing. He wanted to be the last victim Joker ever claimed. Jason would have just hunted Joker down and brutally ended him if it was Bruce that died, and what he wanted most besides Bruce to finally just kill Joker strapped to a chair with a gun or anything, was for Batman to admit that he could have put down his code for this. But Bruce is too afraid of how easy it will be after that first murder, even if its for Joker, and this obviously sets Jason off -- in the Comics.

However, In Arkhamverse? Batman technically has a rep that he killed Joker. Everyone thinks he did this and JOKER IS ALREADY DEAD NO MATTER WHAT. So Jason's mental state aside, he really shouldn't have much of a reason to still hate Bruce by at least fulfilling the vendetta from the comics alone. Brainwashing or not, that grievance was already met. Now if they played this out as a little further manipulation from Scarecrow that HE WAS UTILIZING JASON'S FEAR THAT BY GETTING CAPTURED AND TORTURED BY JOKER, HE FAILED BATMAN, maybe his whines and disregard for orders wouldn't make them both look grossly incompetent at every step of their plan. But hindsight, right?

Also I feel like writing about what Red Hood is like in comics now, but I don't want to make an even bigger mess of spoiler filtered posts. Would it be okay if I post another nerd out unspoiled or should I just skip it?

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.
"An old friend"? I think the Knight's just been listening to too much Chumbawumba. Knock off all the tubthumping you twisted orphen!

EDIT: "If you want it enough, it will happen!" Batman teaches The Secret to the rest of the bat-family? Weird.

Vicissitude fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 9, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Part 39 Notes:
  • The whole Cityvision renovation project, including the excavator(which has markings on it reminiscent of the militia logo) were part of the plan to get the militia set up in Gotham. The underground mall we fight AK in is the militia's main base in Gotham.
  • The excavator fight was probably originally drafted for earlier in the game, possibly as a reason to destroy some previous version of the batmobile and give you the one you have in the main game. It's pretty undercooked.
  • The Knight's transforming gun is so freaking stupid. The Red Hood transformation, while a bit eye-rolly for people who recognize it, is at least a surprise compared with the Knight's identity.
  • The Knight fight is conceptually very cool, with an expanding, escalating predator area- and, unless you've played the Two-Face quest to the end, this will be the first time you encounter the camo enemies. It falls flat for the same reason predator sections in this game often do- you're just too powerful.
  • If you go near Gordon during the fight, you can talk to him.
  • Folks probably wanted a hand-to-hand fight with AK, which would indeed have been cool, but the reality is that it's really freaking hard to make complex hand to hand fights against a single foe work in the combat system the Arkham series uses. That's why there's really only one, the Deathstroke fight in Origins, and it a)comes before you get almost any gadgets and b) breaks pretty badly if you do something unexpected.
  • So the key point here, and the way the "Arkham Knight" title is justified, is that Todd was trapped, tortured, and brainwashed by the Joker in Arkham Asylum, all during a period where Joker was supposedly under lock and key. There's some strong parallels to elements from the Batman Beyond Return of the Joker plot, where something similar happened to another Robin, and it basically wrecked the series (and got Joker killed). You can actually tell it's Arkham from some of the earlier JT hallucinations at the studio- it's why there's a beetle motif on a bunch of props in that area, too.
  • The scene on the rooftop combines some really nice writing with some really dumb writing, all at once. I especially like Oracle and Crane just spouting one-liners past each other before he pushes her off the roof.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

I don't think Rocksteady has it in them to adapt The Black Glove.

E: Oh yeah, and the next twist is that the Joker isn't actually dead.

A Jokerjacked version of The Blackest Night is quite feasible, I think.
Followed up by a version of The Brightest Day, where The Entity is Joker. Joker is white, the Entity is white, therefore, Joker is Life. Makes sense.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Boy that Batmobile sure would of been mighty useful during the cloudburst segment Bats :rolleyes:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Discendo Vox posted:

Part 39 Notes:

[*]So the key point here, and the way the "Arkham Knight" title is justified, is that Todd was trapped, tortured, and brainwashed by the Joker in Arkham Asylum, all during a period where Joker was supposedly under lock and key. There's some strong parallels to elements from the Batman Beyond Return of the Joker plot, where something similar happened to another Robin, and it basically wrecked the series (and got Joker killed).
[
[/list]

I will cut you if you badmouth ROTJ. Either one Hamill got involved in.Seriously good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
"The true mastermind behind Scarecrow and Jason's plan... no... it can't be... I SAW YOU DIE!"

"That's right Batman, it's ME - The FIRST Batmobile! How long did it take you to replace me? No, I mean seriously, how long did it take, I wanna say... ten minutes? Well thanks to Superboy punching my wreckage into a Lazarus pit I LIVE AGAIN, and I'm going to unleash my vengeance in the form of GRATUITOUS POST-GAME BATMOBILE CHALLENGE BULLSHIT!"

"[Batpained whimper]"

• Locked thread